Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

djdhrubs

Just finished Alienist on Netflix. It's pretty good. But right I'm running out of great shows. Seems I've watched everything and there's no shows around that makes you want to jump to the next episode. Maybe I'll re watch Lost. Haven't seen that since the finale.
Just started season 2. It's pretty good. Love the look of it more than anything else about it. Felt they dragged season 1 out a bit longer than necessary but still good.

AaronRedDevil

Just started season 2. It's pretty good. Love the look of it more than anything else about it. Felt they dragged season 1 out a bit longer than necessary but still good.
The alienist? Yeah it seems better paced in Season 2. Good premise for that time.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Queens Gambit, anyone watched it? Got a youtube recommendation come up while I was eating breakfast, so flicked it on and now i'm curious. Redheads are my weakness.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Watching Southland atm, finished first 2 seasons, it first aired in 2009 and is a hard edged cop procedural set in South Central LA/ Hollywood. Really enjoying this, got the recommendation from an earlier post in this thread. Well worth a watch if you liked the Wire and similar shows.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Queens Gambit, anyone watched it? Got a youtube recommendation come up while I was eating breakfast, so flicked it on and now i'm curious. Redheads are my weakness.
It's good. Very well acted and shot. We're on episode 5 I think and there's a thread for it.

Simbo

Another vouch for Queen's Gambit, maybe best thing Netflix has ever done. Might have been the redhead effect I dunno but I've found myself rewatching parts of it already and I've now took up Chess.

evil_geko

Just finished Godless (2017) mini series and loved it, except for somewhat unrealistic parts in the finale. Next is Hell on Wheels (2011-2016), continuing western marathon.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So being the huge fan of Scrubs that I am and having loved Ted Lasso, I thought it's time I watch Bill Lawrence's other show - Cougar Town ..which I never watched because, well, it's a show called Cougar Town.

Turns out though that title/premise applies to maybe the first 6 or 7 episodes of the first season, and then is pretty much dropped altogether in-favour of what is basically a far more normal sitcom about group of 40 yr old friends that's basically quite whacky, full of in-jokes and is actually, surprisingly, pretty funny.

I'm half way through Season 2 and yeah, quite enjoying it... turns out as well the creators really wanted to change the name to something else as it did the show a disservice. They probably should have.. (though they do have fun in poking fun it anyway)

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Watched The Morning Show over the last week. Quite surprised by how good it ended up being given the average reviews. I mean the first 2 or 3 episodes are .. fine.. which is probably what it was reviewed on, but it gets so much better after that and the finale was excellent.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I recently finished Misfits and now I've started Preacher, which is fecking brilliant, but seeing Rudy doing an awful Oirish accent is hilarious.

wr8_utd

:'(
Completed the French show The Bureau today. One of the best television I've ever seen. Does anyone have anything at a similar level?

Ollie Derbyshire

Just finished The Third Day and me and the wife both thought it was excellent, wouldn’t bother with live event episode though.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I liked it a great deal. One of the best TV shows this year.

Upright was better but that is probably my favourite TV show since Breaking Bad.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Watched The Morning Show over the last week. Quite surprised by how good it ended up being given the average reviews. I mean the first 2 or 3 episodes are .. fine.. which is probably what it was reviewed on, but it gets so much better after that and the finale was excellent.
Agreed. Well worth watching.

lsd

The Oracle
I recently finished Misfits and now I've started Preacher, which is fecking brilliant, but seeing Rudy doing an awful Oirish accent is hilarious.

It's awful especially since the girl plays Tulip is irish.

AaronRedDevil

Just finished Godless (2017) mini series and loved it, except for somewhat unrealistic parts in the finale. Next is Hell on Wheels (2011-2016), continuing western marathon.
Let me know what’s that like. I remember watching the first 10 episodes and stopped for no reason. Been wondering is it worth getting back into.

TsuWave

The Expanse is probably one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. First season is slow because it's world building, but once it opens up is just amazing.

Season 5 coming in December too!!

AaronRedDevil

The Expanse is probably one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. First season is slow because it's world building, but once it opens up is just amazing.

Season 5 coming in December too!!
I just get into. Seems to boring for me. The only time I've ever watched 3 seasons and still don'tlove it. . Plus Battlestar Galactica is the best Sci Fi for me at least.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I just get into. Seems to boring for me. The only time I've ever watched 3 seasons and still don'tlove it. . Plus Battlestar Galactica is the best Sci Fi for me at least.
Expanse is ok, but BG is much better. Expanse has a lot of shitty acting, and some of it can be a bit boring. It's probably "one of the best sci fi TV shows" but mainly due to the sub genre being so poor overall.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
BG is currently on the bbc iplayer in its entirety. I keep psyching myself up to start the huge undertaking but i haven't managed it yet...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Anyone seen Queen of the South on Netflix? I'm currently on it, thought season 1 was meh but my word season 2 is gripping.

Previously i watched Colony, would highly recommend, the base story is Alien's bring down huge walls to trap citizens wherever they are in the moment. A family in LA lost one of their son's to the arrival (of the aliens) due to him being on a schooltrip in Santa Monica. To attempt to get him home his parents went down completely different path's, his Dad joined the occupation (working for the aliens basically) while his mum joined a resistance group.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
If you miss travelling, or just want to torment yourself because you can't travel, I recommend the Canadian show Departures from 2008-10. Two buddies travelling the world for a couple of years. It's very well produced and filmed, and they go to a lot of exotic places. Highly recommended.

Might be available on Netflix or other streaming platforms. I think you might find it on Youtube as well, in HD.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Expanse is ok, but BG is much better. Expanse has a lot of shitty acting, and some of it can be a bit boring. It's probably "one of the best sci fi TV shows" but mainly due to the sub genre being so poor overall.
The acting sucks, it's the world and its politics and some of the stories that are good. They have hinted this season is going to be more character-driven which I'm not a fan of.
e- I liked S1 a lot actually.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think the Expanse has some really weak seasons, 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 are as good as any show I've seen in recent years.

I agree about the acting though. Holden's incredibly wooden, Naomi isn't much better, Cas Anvar's probably the best actor of the main crew but there's a good chance he gets kicked off the show due to the allegations anyway. Thomas Jane and Jared Harris are by far the best actors on the show though, in fact the Belter's seem to be way better acted in general.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I recently saw Queen's Gambit, also attracted because I play a lot of chess.
I liked it but expected something else. I found some episodes a bit boring. I thought they would pay more attention to the game and that the US-Russia tension would be more palpable.

In any case it is fine, and more now that many series have been delayed.

I also liked Barbaren, about the campaigns of Rome in Germania.
I think I'm positive because I like historical series but I think they could have done more with the subject.
I am not sure if I will have much interest in the second season.

Years late but I have started Outlander, very good so far

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think the Expanse has some really weak seasons, 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 are as good as any show I've seen in recent years.

I agree about the acting though. Holden's incredibly wooden, Naomi isn't much better, Cas Anvar's probably the best actor of the main crew but there's a good chance he gets kicked off the show due to the allegations anyway. Thomas Jane and Jared Harris are by far the best actors on the show though, in fact the Belter's seem to be way better acted in general.
Huh, never thought of that but I guess it’s true about the Belters. There is another Belter I really like too.

One of the best parts of the show is the ‘science’ part of the fiction. They make a fair attempt at guessing what the details of being in space would actually be like: the toll on the body of high speed travel, the Belters getting taller and both them and Martians getting messed up by Earth’s gravity...that sort of thing. So if you don’t nerd out over physics, I can see why it’d be considered overrated.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Huh, never thought of that but I guess it’s true about the belters. And they just killed off the other best one at the very end of last season, can‘t recall his name.

One of the best parts of the show is the ‘science’ part of the fiction. They make a fair attempt at guessing what the details of being in space would actually be like: the toll on the body of high speed travel, the Belters getting taller and both them and Martians getting messed up by Earth’s gravity...that sort of thing. So if you don’t nerd out over physics, I can see why it’d be considered overrated.
Probably best you don’t remember his name to avoid potential spoilers!

But yeah I find the actual science element to it fascinating, I’m a sucker for mystery shows but I do think the Expanse is a lot more than just that. Supposedly the book season 5 is based on is the best in the series so I’m looking forward to it, especially with the Amazon budget.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Probably best you don’t remember his name to avoid potential spoilers!

But yeah I find the actual science element to it fascinating, I’m a sucker for mystery shows but I do think the Expanse is a lot more than just that. Supposedly the book season 5 is based on is the best in the series so I’m looking forward to it, especially with the Amazon budget.
Oh hell, this isn’t a thread for the show so I should delete that.

SirAnderson

Just started watching City on a Hill:

Busy watching the second episode and must say, I am hooked, enjoying it very much, not sure why it's not rated higher, maybe as I go along something will go awry, but so far, its been excellent. Strong cast and good acting.
Will give feedback once I'm done with it.
EDIT: A bit delayed feedback, but I did enjoy it. The ending was okay, could have been better though. Still, very enjoyable watch.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I finally finished Versailles. Historically a little bit off but what a show. The acting by the main cast was terrific. As someone who knew very little about French history I found this very enjoyable.

Note, a fair bit of nudity throughout.