Aoife Mannion | signs new contract

MUW4Eva

With her out for most likely a large chunk of next season what do we do in the summer?

Do we look to replace her by bringing in a loan signing, as for me, Thor has been our weak link at CB in her and Millie's absence.
Caldwell, has done okay, and I love the fact that she is a die hard red, but away from that, is she really a good enough player to push us into a Champions League place?

With Mannion out, and hopefully, hopefully, Millie Turner fit for the start of next season, would we really start with, or think that a Turner and Caldwell centre-back partnership would be good enough??

The jury is out for me on that.....

Personally, I would look to bring in a CB in on loan, as we don't know how good Mannion will be when she comes back, as this would be yet another serious injury for her in a relative short amount of time for her, which is incredibly sad, one has to ask, would her body be up for a full season after this?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
With her out for most likely a large chunk of next season what do we do in the summer?

Do we look to replace her by bringing in a loan signing, as for me, Thor has been our weak link at CB in her and Millie's absence.
Caldwell, has done okay, and I love the fact that she is a die hard red, but away from that, is she really a good enough player to push us into a Champions League place?

With Mannion out, and hopefully, hopefully, Millie Turner fit for the start of next season, would we really start with, or think that a Turner and Caldwell centre-back partnership would be good enough??

The jury is out for me on that.....

Personally, I would look to bring in a CB in on loan, as we don't know how good Mannion will be when she comes back, as this would be yet another serious injury for her in a relative short amount of time for her, which is incredibly sad, one has to ask, would her body be up for a full season after this?
Realistically, most players with ACL injuries take around a year to start playing again, and most need a few months after that to get back to proper match sharpness. She is only 26, so I think she'll recover fully - but I doubt we'll see her play much next season, and it won't be until the season after that I'd expect her back to get best.

Whether it's realistic to get someone in on a loan as cover, I doubt. We might be lucky and pick up someone like Diane again - out of contract, and willing to take a short contract as a trial - but I'm hoping for a genuine first choice option coming in, and that's not easy.

At any rate, let's hope Aoife comes back strong and fit.

MUW4Eva

Realistically, most players with ACL injuries take around a year to start playing again, and most need a few months after that to get back to proper match sharpness. She is only 26, so I think she'll recover fully - but I doubt we'll see her play much next season, and it won't be until the season after that I'd expect her back to get best.

Whether it's realistic to get someone in on a loan as cover, I doubt. We might be lucky and pick up someone like Diane again - out of contract, and willing to take a short contract as a trial - but I'm hoping for a genuine first choice option coming in, and that's not easy.

At any rate, let's hope Aoife comes back strong and fit.
The issue is, this isn't her first major or long term injury, this I belive is her third, and was definitely part of the reason why we managed to sign her from City in the first place.
If indeed she is out for a year or more, then that might put into question her future with us, as I don't know how long her contract is with us, but since most women's contracts are for about two years, then that might take her to the end of hers.

Do we offer her a new deal based upon not playing for a whole year, with a history of multiple long term injuries??

It is harsh, cruel & cynical, but there will be those at the club paid to make such decisions.

So, putting all that together, surely we have to bring in another CB, Thor isn't good enough, Millie, I think is our best CB, but she has been out herself for a while, & by the time of next season, it will presumably have been nearly half a year or more, since her last competitive game, so she will be rusty.

So that just leaves Caldwell, as our only match fit CB going into next season.....not exactly ideal....(touch wood that she doesn't pick up an injury.)

So I would definitely be looking to bring in a CB, we need depth, and we can't into next season, with just Caldwell and Thor, with questions over Millie.

Surely that would be utter madness, we have seen this season, what relying on people who have a history of long term injuries has done to us.

I don't wish to see Zelem playing at CB next season.

We can't afford to make do and mend, if we are serious about trying to break the triopoly, (if that is such a word, but hopefully you get what I mean) with the "big 3".

It is part of the reason why we jace dropped so many silly points this season, we can't afford to replicate that next season.

Lightbringer

Does this mean Mannion should be expected to be out at least til after new years?

And after that getting into game shape etc, and if setbacks it could be longer.

We need D reinforcements !

madi5h

Does this mean Mannion should be expected to be out at least til after new years?

And after that getting into game shape etc, and if setbacks it could be longer.

We need D reinforcements !
i would hope this means, halfway through rehab, not halfway through the injury
because then not that long at all untill back?

Lightbringer

i would hope this means, halfway through rehab, not halfway through the injury
because then not that long at all untill back?
She had surgery in the beginning of march and the club confirmed she was in rehab in mid march, which means she has been in rehab for 5 months, and she she says she has done a bit more than half the rehab time. So that would mean she would have like 4 months of rehab left including getting into to game shape when fit, meaning she would probably not be playing until after christmas/new years?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
She had surgery in the beginning of march and the club confirmed she was in rehab in mid march, which means she has been in rehab for 5 months, and she she says she has done a bit more than half the rehab time. So that would mean she would have like 4 months of rehab left including getting into to game shape when fit, meaning she would probably not be playing until after christmas/new years?
That's not unreasonable. Typical recovery times - surgery to normal training - are 6-12 months. It usually takes at least a year for a player to get back to playing full-time.

The rehab phase is slow, a lot of players get reinjured during the later stages of rehab or when they first start playing again. The recovery processes and the supporting technology are being steadily improved (though there are some questions about what works well for women players compared to men) but it's still a matter of taking the recovery slowly.

There's a good article from Aoife on FIFPRO talking about the mental health side of ACL recovery:

Incidentally FIFPRO are currently running a series of stories on post-tournament recovery. If you look at an article like:
https://fifpro.org/en/supporting-pl...ake-post-tournament-mental-health-a-priority/
Now try applying it to how Rashford was treated last year, it's just horrible to imagine.

Hopefully all our women who were at the Euros this summer (or who missed out) will be looked after at the club.

whitbyviking

Seeing Mannion play last night, with her shirt untucked and her collar up was a proper throwback. Arguably her style of play is a throwback too. Great character.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I still can’t believe her voice in the interview. So soft spoken with a proper non Irish accent

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only popped in to the thread because I saw the Irish name! Sorry to hear she’s already had an ACL repair. I read something recently about ACL injuries being a hell of a lot more common in the woman’s game because some of the hormones released at certain points in the menstrual cycle cause joint instability. Not a nice thought if you’re trying to establish yourself as a professional footballler.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Only popped in to the thread because I saw the Irish name! Sorry to hear she’s already had an ACL repair. I read something recently about ACL injuries being a hell of a lot more common in the woman’s game because some of the hormones released at certain points in the menstrual cycle cause joint instability. Not a nice thought if you’re trying to establish yourself as a professional footballler.
Yup in last night’s game as well England & Arsenal captain Leah Williamson had a knee injury which seems like it might be ACL

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Interesting to read that she is on my 27, I thought, for some reason, she was older.
I think she also signed a two year deal in July 21, so her contract, unless I've missed anything, runs out this year.
I suppose most players who are in their last year of contract are waiting for several things.
1/- Champion's League football qualification.
2/- The budget for the women's teams, and therefore the salaries for each player, which may be determined by -
3/- The 'sale' of the club, which is still up in the air, and appears to be dragging on.
4/- The several years plan for the womens teams going forward, including new players.

I know that Battle, and Russo, along with Mannion, are coming towards the end of their contracts, but I don't know how many more are in the same boat, so if someone could post that info I would be grateful, probably not on this thread though.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Interesting to read that she is on my 27, I thought, for some reason, she was older.
I think she also signed a two year deal in July 21, so her contract, unless I've missed anything, runs out this year.
I suppose most players who are in their last year of contract are waiting for several things.
1/- Champion's League football qualification.
2/- The budget for the women's teams, and therefore the salaries for each player, which may be determined by -
3/- The 'sale' of the club, which is still up in the air, and appears to be dragging on.
4/- The several years plan for the womens teams going forward, including new players.

I know that Battle, and Russo, along with Mannion, are coming towards the end of their contracts, but I don't know how many more are in the same boat, so if someone could post that info I would be grateful, probably not on this thread though.
Expire end of 2022/23:
Earps - option for a further year
Baggaley - option for a further year
Ramsey
Batlle
Blundell - option for a further year
Thorisdottir - option for a further year
Mannion
Cascarino - loan from PSG
Moore
Bøe Risa - option for a further year
Ladd - option for a further year
Jones - option for a further year
Russo
Thomas - option for a further year

Expire end of 2023/24:
Tounkara
Zelem
Galton - option for a further year
Hanson - option for a further year
Perreira Fuso
Leon
Williams
García
Parris

Expire end of 2024/25:
Riviere
Turner
Le Tissier
Clinton

Expire end of 2025/26:
Naalsund
Toone

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Expire end of 2022/23:
Earps - option for a further year
Baggaley - option for a further year
Ramsey
Batlle
Blundell - option for a further year
Thorisdottir - option for a further year
Mannion
Cascarino - loan from PSG
Moore
Bøe Risa - option for a further year
Ladd - option for a further year
Jones - option for a further year
Russo
Thomas - option for a further year

Expire end of 2023/24:
Tounkara
Zelem
Galton - option for a further year
Hanson - option for a further year
Perreira Fuso
Leon
Williams
García
Parris

Expire end of 2024/25:
Riviere
Turner
Le Tissier
Clinton

Expire end of 2025/26:
Naalsund
Toone
Thank you .

top1whoisman

Scout
Fingers crossed she’ll be fine for the WC.

“Aoife blocked a shot in training and took a small tweak to her MCL [medial collateral ligament],” Marc said in his pre-match press conference.

“[There is] nothing structurally wrong, so she is back with the team. She won’t be [available for] the weekend, but we’re hoping after a few weeks, she will be back.”

top1whoisman

Scout
Delighted with this. Doesn't say anything about the length of the contract though, so it's probably "just" until 2024? Although she's speaking about "the next few seasons".

Anyway hope she gets fit and stays fit as she has a part to play in our team.

top1whoisman

Scout
Aoife Mannion said:

“I'm so delighted to be staying here at United. It was an easy choice for me and I'm really pleased to continue this journey and see where we can go over the next few seasons.”

Marc Skinner said:

“Aoife is a key part of our squad on and off the field, and consistently displays the values and leadership qualities required to play for Manchester United.

“We are delighted that Aoife will continue her career with us, and this new contract is a testament to her hard work and commitment to the red shirt.”

Demon Barber

This is really good news. After high profile players leaving it is reassuring that we can retain individuals who want to play for United.