Apathetic Fanbase

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
I wonder whether OP realises that no situation is permanent. Success comes in cycles, United can’t win ALL the time. Look at Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham Forest. We were bound to struggle after Fergie left, and I think we’re actually doing quite alright. Despite the admittedly horrendous (with the benefit of hindsight) management appointments, we’re not in free fall, at least not yet. For someone who claims to have been a supporter since the 1980’s I honestly think there’s no need to be as dramatic as this.

I think a change in club structure might do us some good in terms of having a coherent direction but there’s no guarantee it will bring success short-term. I think Ed will benefit from having a football guy to help him out with the footballing side but I think he’s doing an excellent job keeping us as a financial superpower during this period where we’re at the bottom of the wave. It’s more than indispensable for us not to fall out financially if we’re dreaming of getting back to where we once were.

At the end of the day, it’s just football, people. It shouldn’t take so much out of you. There are more important things in life to get worked up over.

Last edited:

Johan07

To an extent I agree with this.

But I don't think we're going to get better value without some fundamental changes in the structure on the football side. Letting individual managers target players according to his needs won't do in the long run unless we somehow luck out with landing Fergie Mk2, or something close.

The money's there, though, you're right about that. We've spent enough to be right up there since Fergie retired but it's been wasted on the wrong recruits and the wrong kind of contracts.
Yeah, I agree with this. United is a club with a lot of traditions though, and having an all powerful manager is one of them. You can just read one of the great mans books to see what his opinion is. One should not underestimate the powers at the club that dont want a system with a DoF or something similar.
Our history and all that.
I know that this is like swearing in the church on the Caf but the reality is that Woodward and people like Matt Judge who has come from outside are probably the more progressive elements at United right now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
"The next manager needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European experience." - David Gill, May 2013.
Ha, yes.

Didn't turn out quite like that, did it?

Gill also said, a long time before the quoted comment, that United had a detailed plan for how the situation would be handled when Fergie decided to step down. I don't believe they did, though. You don't end up with the man himself picking David Moyes (possibly after several high profile managers turned us down because they were already tied up elsewhere) if you have a proper succession plan in place.

TrueRed79

I wonder whether OP realises that no situation is permanent. Success comes in cycles, United can’t win ALL the time. Look at Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham Forest. We were bound to struggle after Fergie left, and I think we’re actually doing quite alright. Despite the admittedly horrendous (with the benefit of hindsight) management appointments, we’re not in free fall, at least not yet. For someone who claims to have been a supporter since the 1980’s I honestly think there’s no need to be as dramatic as this.

I think a change in club structure might do us some good in terms of having a coherent direction but there’s no guarantee it will bring success short-term. I think Ed will benefit from having a football guy to help him out with the footballing side but I think he’s doing an excellent job keeping us as a financial superpower during this period where we’re at the bottom of the wave. It’s more than indispensable for us not to fall out financially if we’re dreaming of getting back to where we once were.

At the end of the day, it’s just football, people. It shouldn’t take so much out of you. There are more important things in life to get worked up over.
I never once mentioned that we should win all the time anywhere throughout this thread. I never implied that this situation was permanent either. What i did imply was as long as the Glazers own the club we are going nowhere. You have some clubs pumping billions into it and you have other taking billions out. You have clubs with a long-term vision and others who are reactionary. You think we are doing quiet alright? Sorry but that's laughable. In Moyes' first season we were 22pts off the top, and in the last 3 gone it reads like this: 2016/17: 24 points off the top, 2017/18: 19, 2018/19: 25 and counting. You think that's quiet alright? We have the highest wage bill in the league! You would think with that in mind that we would get top4 minimum.
I don't get why you would then tell me "it's just football, and it shouldn't take much out of me" etc. I'm completely content in life, trust me. My dad used to take me to games and i take my kids now. I don't cry if we lose a game and i certainly don't dwell on results. If i come on a forum and vent some frustrations, so what! Everything posted here is an OPINION. Doesn't mean you have to agree with it. I think a few points i made were out of frustration. Think the 'ageist' one rustled a few jimmies. I do take offence to some people around here calling me plastic and telling me that i will jump ship etc, fecking cnuts.

Graham R

Dinosaurs in charge of the club.Look across the city at how to run a club.It isn’t rocket science.Suggest we send Woodward on work experience.DOF is crucial,Van derSaar would be brilliant.Citey haven’t spent more than 60 million on one player yet can find hungry skilful footballers and have a defined style of play.Swallow our pride ,copy the City model from grass roots upwards.Realistically I can’t see anything changing until the share price starts taking a hit and we eventually get a change of ownership

Moriarty

Ha, yes.

Didn't turn out quite like that, did it?

Gill also said, a long time before the quoted comment, that United had a detailed plan for how the situation would be handled when Fergie decided to step down. I don't believe they did, though. You don't end up with the man himself picking David Moyes (possibly after several high profile managers turned us down because they were already tied up elsewhere) if you have a proper succession plan in place.
There's a lot of revisionism going on isn't there?

Red00012

We can't do anything about it unless we do something big like somehow stage a mass boycott, but that will never happen.

The owners literally couldn't care about the football, just as long as we're making money they'll leave things as they are. Woodward hasn't got a clue about setting up a successful football team. Who else is there?

Maybe Woodward will appease the fans and get a DoF, but it won't be enough. He'll probably have the final say on whatever the DoF wants anyway.

Club's rotten from top to bottom and we as fans can't do anything about it, all we can do is watch the same mistakes happen every season. Hence the apathy.
Bring back the green and gold scarves ?

fezzerUTD

The blame lies with Woodward not getting a proper structure in place, to determine whether those signings being made are good enough.

We gave LvG and Mourinho free reigns of the transfer kitty without having anyone having done their homework on them properly, that's where the money was wasted.
Erm no we fecking didnt.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's a lot of revisionism going on isn't there?
Oh, yes. People protecting their legacies, including the great man himself. There's a thing or two he's left out of his memoirs, I think we can safely assume.

But at the end of the day it really wasn't Fergie's job to ensure the succession went well. Or - it shouldn't have been at any rate.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Ah feck this 'joke' just hit me so here I go again: since we have a pathetic bunch of players, it's fine that our fans are apathetic.

Get it? It's funny.

Moriarty

Oh, yes. People protecting their legacies, including the great man himself. There's a thing or two he's left out of his memoirs, I think we can safely assume.

But at the end of the day it really wasn't Fergie's job to ensure the succession went well. Or - it shouldn't have been at any rate.
Agreed. The club should have had a plan in place long before Fergie left. Gill even told us that they did and that there would be no repeat of Matt Busby's retirement.