Appearances for United: Maguire 100 - Bailly 100

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wan-Bissaka too could reach 100 this season.
Another very impressive stat.

Bruno Fernandes has 68 appearances and he joined midway through last season.

Alemar

Worth every penny, gets a lot of xenophobic criticism from people who don’t like English people.
this is most certainly bollocks. It’s not in Man Utd tradition to care about ethnic origin, citizenship or race of players - we are known for great diversity in this regard for many a year. It doesn’t matter whether Maguire is English or not - what matters is what he contributes to the team

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Worth every penny, gets a lot of xenophobic criticism from people who don’t like English people. Great CB, most reliable defender we’ve signed since Fergie retired.
Baseless, tendentious post that you can't even be bothered to pretend is rooted in truth.

Water Melon

Worth every penny, gets a lot of xenophobic criticism from people who don’t like English people. Great CB, most reliable defender we’ve signed since Fergie retired.
Are you seriuos? Maguire is criticized for being slow, taking 5 extra touches before releasing the ball to his team-mate who is under pressure or not being good enough to wear the armband by some posters. There are lots of other posters who do rate him very highly. I doubt there is even one person on this forum who does not rate Maguire because he is English. This really is a ridiculous claim.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I have read a few times here that we could have bought someone for around 40 mil instead of Maguire.
45-50 mil gets you a Chilwell or AWB in today’s market and Maguire is better than them. Yes we overpaid, but nowhere close to the extent some people claim.
This isn’t 2002 where 30mil would get you a very good defender.
And our club especially isn’t known for good and reliable CBs for almost a decade now. Talk is cheap and easy. Finding a good CB who spends more time on the pitch than with our medical team however is expensive and difficult .

GueRed

If it was Bailly or Lindelof churning out Maguire-like consistent solid performances week in week out fans would be heralding them as great centre backs and riding their peckers.

But because its boring old English player Harry Maguire they wont.

It seems more fashionable for the majority of our fanbase to give Harry abuse and disrespect on social media.

He has been a very good signing for us. He has improved the first team.

IMO he has been one of the Premier League's best centre-backs this season

M15 Red.

I thought Bailly had plenty of potential when he first signed for us, but for one reason or another it just hasn't worked out. He's courageous (without being overly reckless like Jones or Rojo) and he's quick. Sadly every other facet of his game has either stalled, or regressed.

Hopefully next season he will be able to stay injury free, and show some improvements. If not, he wont be reaching the 200 mark, that's for sure.

Robbie Boy

Baseless, tendentious post that you can't even be bothered to pretend is rooted in truth.
Yup, utter waffle based on nothing. 6 of our starting 11 against Brighton were English - but yeah Maguire suffers from xenophobia :houllier:

A select few on here just troll the forum looking for outrage in anything - if they can't find any they make it up.

Last edited:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I thought Bailly had plenty of potential when he first signed for us, but for one reason or another it just hasn't worked out. He's courageous (without being overly reckless like Jones or Rojo) and he's quick. Sadly every other facet of his game has either stalled, or regressed.

Hopefully next season he will be able to stay injury free, and show some improvements. If not, he wont be reaching the 200 mark, that's for sure.
Doesnt really matter how much talented a player is or was if he can't stay injury free. Same goes for with Phil Jones who could have been some player if he stayed injury free. Rojo would also be level above Lindelof. Our terrible situation with CB only underlines that Lindelof managed to get 110 games for United. This is really something. On top of that Tuanzebe also made of glass.

That's how good transfer Maguire was, fantastic player and on top of everything plays every game and stays injury free. Hope we scoresome gold in the transfer market next, we are due one great CB. Hopefully Mengi and perhaps Fish develop better than Axel too..

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.

Bailly and Maguire clashing heads. No prizes for guessing which one needed an 8 minute treatment after this.
VIA GETTY IMAGES

Maguire
Appearances: 100
Total games since signing: 109
Games featured in: 92 %

Bailly
Appearances: 100
Total games since signing: 282
Games featured in: 35 %

A tale of two CBs.
Phil Jones has 224 appearances and joined in 2011 according to Wikipedia.

New contract for Bailly then.

Cast5

If it was Bailly or Lindelof churning out Maguire-like consistent solid performances week in week out fans would be heralding them as great centre backs and riding their peckers.

But because its boring old English player Harry Maguire they wont.

It seems more fashionable for the majority of our fanbase to give Harry abuse and disrespect on social media.

He has been a very good signing for us. He has improved the first team.

IMO he has been one of the Premier League's best centre-backs this season
This is true mate

Cast5

He’s always criticised, that criticism a lot of the time mentions his nationality. I suggest you have a look on twitter after he makes a rare mistake and call what I wrote baseless.

RedDevilzFox

Both Maguire and Lindelof get a lot of stick but I admire their ability to simply stay fit and be available and do a 7/10 job most of the time. Bailly is a clown in comparison, get rid.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I have read a few times here that we could have bought someone for around 40 mil instead of Maguire.
45-50 mil gets you a Chilwell or AWB in today’s market and Maguire is better than them. Yes we overpaid, but nowhere close to the extent some people claim.
This isn’t 2002 where 30mil would get you a very good defender.
And our club especially isn’t known for good and reliable CBs for almost a decade now. Talk is cheap and easy. Finding a good CB who spends more time on the pitch than with our medical team however is expensive and difficult .
Or how many better CB are out there right now? Especially for 80m.

LoneStar

This is one of Maguire's biggest 'strengths' for me. The guy is a machine and can play literally every game. Same goes for Lindelof to some extent. After years of seeing Baily, Jones, Smalling and Rojo, this is such a positive change.

RashyForPM

What kind of nonsensical post is this...

Amidst all the abhorrent racist abuse that many players have been sadly suffering by a loud minority, I can’t deny that I’ve also been extremely irritated, albeit obviously less so than the racism itself, at people now constantly taking the opportunity to bring up race/nationality to take shots at people.

I absolutely love Harry. He’s our best defender and imo only inferior to Van Dijk and Dias in the entire PL, and a leader who can play almost every game, which is always very helpful. However, if he didn’t have these qualities, then I would rate him less. It’s nothing to do with his nationality whatsoever.

RashyForPM

Bailly has to go imo. 100 appearances in 5 seasons, an average of 20 every season. That’s nowhere near enough at any level.

Move on, thank you for generally being solid when you sporadically stepped out on to the pitch.

Cast5

What kind of nonsensical post is this...

Amidst all the abhorrent racist abuse that many players have been sadly suffering by a loud minority, I can’t deny that I’ve also been extremely irritated, albeit obviously less so than the racism itself, at people now constantly taking the opportunity to bring up race/nationality to take shots at people.

I absolutely love Harry. He’s our best defender and imo only inferior to Van Dijk and Dias in the entire PL, and a leader who can play almost every game, which is always very helpful. However, if he didn’t have these qualities, then I would rate him less. It’s nothing to do with his nationality whatsoever.
What’s nonsensical? Who am I baselessly taking shots at? Who have I called out for it on this forum? I said he gets a lot of xenophobic criticism, which he does. Baseless would mean there was no evidence, when there obviously is. You said “it’s nothing to do with his nationality whatsoever” like I’ve accused you personally of criticising him for his nationality.

Seeing as you brought up Racism against footballers, if I praised Rashford and said he gets lots of Racist abuse would you call it nonsensical? It’s the truth. If I said everyone who criticises him is doing so because they’re racist, I agree that would be baseless and nonsensical.

I didn’t call ALL criticism of Maguire Xenophobic, I said he gets lots of Xenophobic criticism ie. Criticism/Abuse mentioning his nationality constantly.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What’s nonsensical? Who am I baselessly taking shots at? Who have I called out for it on this forum? I said he gets a lot of xenophobic criticism, which he does. Baseless would mean there was no evidence, when there obviously is. You said “it’s nothing to do with his nationality whatsoever” like I’ve accused you personally of criticising him for his nationality.

Seeing as you brought up Racism against footballers, if I praised Rashford and said he gets lots of Racist abuse would you call it nonsensical? It’s the truth. If I said everyone who criticises him is doing so because they’re racist, I agree that would be baseless and nonsensical.

I didn’t call ALL criticism of Maguire Xenophobic, I said he gets lots of Xenophobic criticism ie. Criticism/Abuse mentioning his nationality constantly.
I think what would help was if you could show examples of xenphobia against him on the caf, as you described people as posters initially which suggests this forum.

The other option would be to avoid hyperbole and exaggeration. Maguire doesn't get lots of criticism for being English, he gets lots of criticism for costing 80M quid (unfair crititcism IMO) and being associated with Ole's 'Brexit FC' strategy. Both of those are because he is English, but neither are really to do with xenophobia.

Cast5

I think what would help was if you could show examples of xenphobia against him on the caf, as you described people as posters initially which suggests this forum.

The other option would be to avoid hyperbole and exaggeration. Maguire doesn't get lots of criticism for being English, he gets lots of criticism for costing 80M quid (unfair crititcism IMO) and being associated with Ole's 'Brexit FC' strategy. Both of those are because he is English, but neither are really to do with xenophobia.
That’s another funny thing, what is Ole’s brexit FC strategy? Signing 3 British players for a British club out of the 10 players he’s signed? Before Ole came in and since Fergie left we signed 1 English outfield player in 7 years and people lost their shit over us signing a few British players, very odd. Look at the reaction when we’re linked to any British player who isn’t already a star. Anyway, I’ve explained what I meant with what I said when I praised Maguire, I’ll stop replying so I don’t derail this thread any further..

Zen86

You must have missed the thread about him being arrested in Greece.

Ibi Dreams

I know yeah. There's a weird following for Bailly here, he's about as inconsistent and haphazard a defender as you can get. And that's without factoring in his injury record.
He occasionally has a very good game where he looks like everything you'd want in a defender and gets everything right. Some people seem to forget that it only happens about once every 10 games, and that he spends 50% of his time injured anyway.

romufc

I read somewhere Bailly was upset he didn't get picked for the AC Milan game.

How can a player who cannot stay fit for more than 3 games at once complain for not being picked when there is 2 CB's who are fit most of the time?

The only reason Bailly gets picked is his pace. We need to sell him and replace him with someone who can stay fit.

RashyForPM

Rashford has definitely got some awful racist abuse. I know that because I’ve seen it. It’s baseless and nonsensical because while you didn’t have a go at anyone personally, can you even name one example of xenophobia against Maguire since you seem to have a stash of them?

I’ve seen people say Maguire is bad because he looks like a fridge, I’ve seen people say Maguire is bad because it’s fashionable on Twitter, but never because he’s English.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’ve seen people say Maguire is bad because he looks like a fridge, I’ve seen people say Maguire is bad because it’s fashionable on Twitter, but never because he’s English.
I have seen quite a few people say that other people overrate him because he's English. I wouldn't class that as xenophobia though.

In saying that I don't read either football twitter or the match day thread, as both are full of absolute cancer and the dregs of society.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
You must have missed the thread about him being arrested in Greece.
I don't have time to read all 42 pages of it, but a quick glance through 10 or so random pages, throws up a little bit of stereotypical British lad culture, a few slab lives matter jokes, a couple of lindelof tried to cover him but found himself in the wrong country gags and a few dont call Greek police corrupt comments. So though we might find the odd post it hardly seems to be overflowing with xenophobia towards Harry because he is English.

GueRed

Rashford has definitely got some awful racist abuse. I know that because I’ve seen it. It’s baseless and nonsensical because while you didn’t have a go at anyone personally, can you even name one example of xenophobia against Maguire since you seem to have a stash of them?

Yeah that is disgusting. Even from our own fans!

I bet if he was Brazilian he wouldnt get half as much stick and abuse from our fanbase.

They'd definitely be more lenient with him if he wasnt english.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He’s always criticised, that criticism a lot of the time mentions his nationality. I suggest you have a look on twitter after he makes a rare mistake and call what I wrote baseless.
He gets criticised, along with the rest of the defence (and midfield and forwards) but I've never seen his nationality highlighted frequently. You still haven't provided any evidence btw.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What is this based on if I may ask? Do Rashford, Shaw, Henderson and Wan-Bissaka suffer from the same treatment?
I would have to say they do. I'm not British btw but it is clear that people on here really think that British players are given preferential treatment by the club and so are quicker to criticize them. Before this season, Shaw was regularly criticized despite his quality being apparent to anyone with a trained eye. Rashford gets an enormous amount of abuse on here despite being one of the most effective players in the league. AWB has made enormous strides in his attacking play this year but people still use the lazy stereotype that he's rubbish offensively. McTominay is another one people underrate for no reason other than he's an academy lad.

Zen86

I don't have time to read all 42 pages of it, but a quick glance through 10 or so random pages, throws up a little bit of stereotypical British lad culture, a few slab lives matter jokes, a couple of lindelof tried to cover him but found himself in the wrong country gags and a few dont call Greek police corrupt comments. So though we might find the odd post it hardly seems to be overflowing with xenophobia towards Harry because he is English.
I'm not saying there's a massive xenophobic campaign against him by any means, but there is a bizarre anti-English sentiment amongst some people on here and it seems to generally circle around Maguire. Some users seem genuinely offended by us signing English players.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I would have to say they do. I'm not British btw but it is clear that people on here really think that British players are given preferential treatment by the club and so are quicker to criticize them. Before this season, Shaw was regularly criticized despite his quality being apparent to anyone with a trained eye. Rashford gets an enormous amount of abuse on here despite being one of the most effective players in the league. AWB has made enormous strides in his attacking play this year but people still use the lazy stereotype that he's rubbish offensively. McTominay is another one people underrate for no reason other than he's an academy lad.
I can’t agree with this at all.

Shaw was playing on a completely different level compared to this season (and when he started playing well he instantly became, and rightly so, one of the highly praised players on caf) — and even then he was usually treated quite well aside from the fat jokes.

Wan-Bissaka’s offensive impotency is not something that people have imagined out of nowhere, while he’s most likely the best one on one defender in the league (world?), his technique, passing, crossing and decision making in attacking areas is absolutely shocking. He has improved compared to when he first came here, but it’s a marginal improvement that doesn’t change the fact that that part of his game is severely lacking.

Personally, I haven’t seen anything that constitutes as an abuse regarding Rashford. He’s having an up and down season and struggles with his fitness & confidence/decision-making. But if you’ll set up a poll on whenever people would want to sell him, I guarantee you that the answer would be a categorical no.

All of our players get criticized, sometimes too harshly, regardless of their nationality. Take Pogba, who got constantly abused even when he was out injured. Take Fred, Martial, Lindelöf, De Gea... the latter would be a good comparison to Wan-Bissaka, since both of them have very clear and obvious weakness that costs us in games. And De Gea’s inability to leave the line gets mentioned after pretty much any game of his. This criticism (which is often over the top) comes from frustration, not from some anti English/British bias, but English players are the only ones that get defenders with a boring “if he was Brazilian, he wouldn’t have been criticized” argument.

Last edited:

Halftrack

I know yeah. There's a weird following for Bailly here, he's about as inconsistent and haphazard a defender as you can get. And that's without factoring in his injury record.
Remember when people lost their fecking minds because Lindelöf got his starting spot back after returning from injury? Bailly had a few perfectly acceptable games and one stand-out performance, and people were acting as if he'd been brilliant.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not saying there's a massive xenophobic campaign against him by any means, but there is a bizarre anti-English sentiment amongst some people on here and it seems to generally circle around Maguire. Some users seem genuinely offended by us signing English players.
If this bizarre anti-English sentiment is mostly focused on Maguire, maybe it’s an anti-Maguire bias?