Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He still thinks that most of these players still have it and he's looking forward for preseason.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Well I’m not a knee jerk fan so I don’t think ole should go. He should be given time to take the team forward, whether he is the right person long term is uncertain.
The issue with this is it knee jerk to think Ole should go? i'd say it was knee jerk to give him the job, letting him go would just be reverting to rational thinking.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Because it's unfair not to? Because he gave us the best three months we've had since Fergie left?
Uh, what? He's also given us the worst 2 months since SAF left and looks the most incompetent of all the managers hired since.

We've sadly become a charity.

starman

Not even had a transfer window and people want him gone. People talk about the state of the club is embarrassing, i would say the same for some of the fans..

Andersons Dietician

Let’s be totally honest here. Ole is a place holder until we can get Poch.

He’s a United legend so was always going to carry favour with the fans to buy him slack whilst changes happen. We are still on course to get a Technical director and what’s his face at RB has said he is leaving at the end of the season. Wonder where he is going?! Hmmm..

There wasn’t really anyone realistically available other than a punt on a fairly unknown or a United Legend. Poch and Zidane were clearly the front runners. Sacking Ole would solve nothing right now as who do you then turn to as I doubt Poch leaves Spurs till earliest end of next season.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I guess people are now understanding the Amadaeus assessment that I was ridiculed for in the Ole thread :lol:.

It is not too late to sack him now, it will show conviction from our board for success. However, if his replacement is not Pochettino or maybe someone like Erik ten Hag, he deserve at least one season to buy his own players and implement his philosophy. Maybe get us back to how we were during honeymoon period.
sorry but there's not a chance in hell of Ten Hag succeeding at United. There's simply no way this squad for for even a second respect a man whose playing career highlights were a Dutch second division title in 1991 with De Graafschap and a Dutch cup win in 2001 with FC Twente

(unless he follows up on winning this year's CL with another few before he's poached ;) )

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The same squad that amassed 82 points just 12 months ago? That have beaten Liverpool and Manchester City - the two best teams in the country and probably two of the best on the planet.
1. 81 points
2. Dave was in Godly form, we should have conceded 14 goals more than we did as per xG stats
3. OGS has 38 points from 17 games- which translates to 85 points in a 38 game season

SAFMUTD

Of course the main problem is we lack quality in the squad, but feck some people here claming as if was only that, Ole is crearly fecking it up. We may not have a squad to challenge for the title but for sure we should be playing way better.

What is Ole implementing? What is he working on? We play everygame in attack as if we are improvising, really we have no defined style other than purely counterattack. If I was seeing bad results but a style like Pep or Klopp being implemented and failing I would completely agree on handing him new players to match his system. But we don’t even show a system or tactics, What is he trying to implement? It’s been 4-5 months now, we should be watching his style by now for sure.

Really people may argue that this players have failed under plenty different managers, but feck I don’t think Ole is the man to take us forward.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He still thinks that most of these players still have it and he's looking forward for preseason.
I don't think so. He wouldn't be so calm if that was the case, he would be more than worried after a game like that if he accept what he is seeing from them. I'm not, are you? No? Then why would you think Ole does:lol:

SAFMUTD

1. 81 points
2. Dave was in Godly form, we should have conceded 14 goals more than we did as per xG stats
3. OGS has 38 points from 17 games- which translates to 85 points in a 38 game season
Funny you mention the xG stats and then Ole’s record.

It’s not just about results it’s about the way we play and the style Ole is trying to play, which is nonexistent

devilish

I don't think so. He wouldn't be so calm if that was the case, he would be more than worried after a game like that if he accept what he is seeing from them. I'm not, are you? No? Then why would you think Ole does:lol:
I heard his post match interview right now.

He also thinks he'll be successful here.

anant

I think he is somewhat right about this, not completely obviously. These players havent run or worked hard in the last 6 years/ since they've joined United and dont have the fitness levels required to play the United way over a 38 game season. Once he does a pre season to get those fitness levels to the required standards, I'd say atleast some of them will come good

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, the board was too hasty in appointing OGS. You don't know if he can turn a team around after a slump, you don't know if he can build a team from scratch. And new manager bounce isn't really a tough concept to grasp. You should've waited till the summer at least to see if Poch was available. Not that I think all is lost, OGS might still build a great team given Utd's resources. There have been great explayer managers like Zidane and Guardiola, but what separates them from OGS is that they were immediately successfull.

Water Melon

I do not think appointing Ole was a mistake, at least yet. However what we need is a lot of science and practice: we need world's experts to improve our fitness, a genius of an assistant manager to analyze out tactics, best psychologists to instill confidence and ability to deal with stress, most prominent coaches to improve our passing, off the ball movement, collective play, DDG's distribution, command of the box etc. Stop being sentimental, the best out there should be employed by us. Each and every member of our coaching team and squad need to be improved or replaced if necessary. So far we look totally out of our depth.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Utd are run as a cash machine, not a football club.

Until you change owners and Woodward I don't see sustained long term improvement.

Problem isn't the manager, per se.
agreed, but the manager is one of problems:
  • The Glazers taking so much money out of the club is an issue,
  • Woodward not having a clue in football matters is an issue,
  • The unbalanced squad that seems to have a fundamental attitude problem is a issue.
  • Having a manager whose main qualification was he is a beloved player is a issues

anant

Funny you mention the xG stats and then Ole’s record.

It’s not just about results it’s about the way we play and the style Ole is trying to play, which is nonexistent
Actually, our xG record is now consistent with Ole's results on pitch. conceded 2 goals less than expected, scored 1 goal less than expected: something what everyone was arguing about in the xG thread

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I heard his post match interview right now.

He also thinks he'll be successful here.
That is good. He shouldn't have the job if he doesn't believe in himself first and foremost. What else did he say?

devilish

I think he is somewhat right about this, not completely obviously. These players havent run or worked hard in the last 6 years/ since they've joined United and dont have the fitness levels required to play the United way over a 38 game season. Once he does a pre season to get those fitness levels to the required standards, I'd say atleast some of them will come good
These players were coached by LVG and Mou, two managers who managed Barcelona, Inter, Ajax, Bayern, Real and Chelsea. I doubt that the failed Cardiff manager knows more about fitness then these people.

devilish

That is good. He shouldn't have the job if he doesn't believe in himself first and foremost. What else did he say?
He thinks that most of these players still have it and he's looking forward to have most of them in the preseason training.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Agreed, it was a mistake to appoint Ole. It would be a bold move of Ed to remove him now though, and I just can’t see it happening.

Will Ed really trust him with a £200m kitty? I wouldn’t.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I agree with the OP. The board have screwed us again with another ( their 4th in a row) bad appointment.
That was an appalling effort today.

JohnnyKills

Tbf I wouldn't be surprised if the recent slump is due to contractual disputes. Sounds like Pogba, De Gea and Herrera are all looking for significant wage hikes in light of the Sanchez deal and Lukaku may be similarly frustrated, given his agent's recent comments.

If they're all flouncing around and nursing grievances it would certainly explain the recent slump.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He thinks that most of these players still have it and he's looking forward to have most of them in the preseason training.
Well... If that is what he needs to say or do to keep his job, then good luck Ole. I mean, he will try and get blamed by Ed when it goes tits up and Pochettino or whoever will face the same obstacle.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What a shit thread full of cretins.

Players are gutless. Run by business people. We are no longer a football club but let's blame it all on Ole.

I'll knock this on the head until September I think.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Actually, our xG record is now consistent with Ole's results on pitch. conceded 2 goals less than expected, scored 1 goal less than expected: something what everyone was arguing about in the xG thread
You do realise that we haven't scored from open play in 4 games? feck xG, I couldn't give a shit about it.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
The reality is that at the time most people couldn't believe we'd got 2nd with the performances and needed major upgrades.
We didn't make them, and not surprisingly dropped off quite a bit.
Compare that to a club like Barca, who according to those Deloitte lists had a similar 2017/2018 revenue to us...

They’re very dominant in the league, comfortably a top 5 team in Europe and still making one big transfer after the other to prevent stagnation. Already signed up de Jong, in pole position for De Ligt. Casually dropped 250 million on two players who aren’t even world class with Dembele and Coutinho.

We finish second and make it to the FA Cup final as well, so of course we buy a teenage fullback and a midfielder from Shaktar and that’s it for a whole season folks

Renegade

Forget Solskjaer or Woodward - a lot of people in this forum should step down as they're clearly no use to the club.

All of that giddiness from people demanding he get the job after three games, and throwing playground insults at anyone who disagreed. No wonder we're in the mess we're in.
I remember that. Anyone who suggested it could be a mistake was shot down. Everyone lost their heads after the run and demanded he was given the job. Zero perspective or foresight.

LoneStar

This may well turn out to be the case. However, he will not be sacked.

All we can do is carry through the restructuring required to make us less dependent on the manager. If we have a DOF structure that can direct recruitment in a direction the club wants that will be consistent regardless of who the manager is, then suddenly appointing the wrong manager becomes less damaging.

At least then if Solskjaer does prove to be a mistake we won't have completely wasted yet more years.
Yes, appointing a DoF before we do any transfers should be priority number one.

We cannot afford to feck up the signings this time around as well. The players bought have to be in accordance with the philosophy of the club regardless of the manager.

Un4givableB

Jose did say that was his biggest achievement. Puts things into perspective and can you actually say he’s wrong now?
Jose does what good managers do get the most out their team, it wasn't pretty to watch but it was effective. Jose was trying to involve the team into something else but I think Woodard/Glazers were perfectly happy with the state of things at the club and were fine with a 2nd place finish and they thought giving him a big new contract would placate him. He intentionally got himself the sack when he understood the limits of the Woodard/Glazers ambitions.
Jose is no Arsene Wenger.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
sorry but there's not a chance in hell of Ten Hag succeeding at United. There's simply no way this squad for for even a second respect a man whose playing career highlights were a Dutch second division title in 1991 with De Graafschap and a Dutch cup win in 2001 with FC Twente

(unless he follows up on winning this year's CL with another few before he's poached ;) )
I agree, but I rather have Erik ten Hag alongside Edwin Van Der Sar as our DoF rebuild our team than Ole at the moment. Erik ten Hag has a very good footballing philosophy that is needed at United and Ajax under him has been able to build a team that resembles one of their best Ajax side. This type of rebuilding and vision is what is needed at the moment at United.

Too early to say it's a mistake. But a sensible club would have waited until the end of the season to make it permanent. But Ed is a fool and the Glazers probably saw Ole as a cheap option.

I don't think anyone knows what Ole will bring long term but no point callibg for his head now!

Ole's main test is seeing if he has the balls to rid the club of the dead weight, quickly. If next season starts and we have young, jones, smalling etc. Still here then I would start to question his sanity.

Hughie77

Ole start was immense , only because it was all new all the players needed a change, we can now see there is rotten apples at the club!
Ole was given the job to early, board should have waited till end of season, like they said they would, worst thing happend we got results plus performances , international break, it goes pear shaped, Pogba talks up Real, nothing gone right since poor performances you can expect but lack of respect for the club and team, most of these players can go. I hope they do.

Board have played there hand by giving ole the job, now they back him or sack him. Over to you Woodward.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
It doesn't matter who we appoint we have a serious lack of mental strength across the playing squad. You won't win games because you are Manchester United. We are weak. Other teams know we are weak and can play to it. We need some serious leaders on the pitch who would die for us. Not sure who they are but one at the front back and middle would be a start

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I agree, but I rather have Erik ten Hag alongside Edwin Van Der Sar as our DoF rebuild our team than Ole at the moment. Erik ten Hag has a very good footballing philosophy that is needed at United and Ajax under him has been able to build a team that resembles one of their best Ajax side. This type of rebuilding and vision is what is needed at the moment at United.
Ah yes, big Edwin who’s never been a DoF a day in his life should become our new DoF.

What makes the current Ajax side great is that they’ve been basically building for this for ten years, on literally every level.

Ten Hag deserves some credit for sure, but he’s not a better coach than someone like Peter Bosz or 10 other typical Eredivisie managers. He’s just lucky to be there when they’ve managed to assemble a squad with truly great individual quality, which they did step by step.

Everything about Ole so far suggests he’s good and intelligent enough to lead Manchester United. What he needs is a great structure behind him with great scouts, and more importantly: owners who are willing to spend every bit as much if not more as our domestic and European rivals, every season.

Member 113277

OP said big club ;)
I see your smiley. Leeds were as big as they come, in 1974, but I think you know that.

Clough went on to win 2x European Cups at Forest. Back to back, IIRC.

Great manager.

PS: As someone born in Bradford, the hatred for Leeds is as deep as that for Citeh in a Mancunian. Vile club.

passing-wind

Yes, the board was too hasty in appointing OGS. You don't know if he can turn a team around after a slump, you don't know if he can build a team from scratch. And new manager bounce isn't really a tough concept to grasp. You should've waited till the summer at least to see if Poch was available. Not that I think all is lost, OGS might still build a great team given Utd's resources. There have been great explayer managers like Zidane and Guardiola, but what separates them from OGS is that they were immediately successfull.
Also those clubs have a proper structure, Guardiola transcends from the influence that Cryuff had with Barcelona so he know the ethos of the club to integrate a system.

Zidane is a mogul in the football world, he's also more productive because he has managerial pedigree, just because your a good footballer doesn't mean you adopt a position in management that's why it seldom happens.

We cannot use the example of Ole playing in our most successful periods as a reason why he will be successful here. If that's the case then give the job to Giggs / Neville / Ferdinand but football doesn't work like that.

The Glazer's should have made a logical decision vs an emotive one, we complained about Jose getting the job despite winning virtually everything but recommend Ole on the basis of him coaching for around 90 days.

Fans and media are just as responsible crying that he should be given a permanent role, I have always ascertained that Poch was the better long term prospect because he's proven everything we question at the club, can he be successful, can he build a squad, can he work in cohesion with a hierarchical structure with a DOF the answers are yes.

We give Ole 300 million, I cannot see us making any progress to the extent of reaching the top .

Tyinde

People who blame Ole must understand, Ole was literally the only one who was willing to take over this "Manchester big mess in the hell United".

Last edited by a moderator:

anant

These players were coached by LVG and Mou, two managers who managed Barcelona, Inter, Ajax, Bayern, Real and Chelsea. I doubt that the failed Cardiff manager knows more about fitness then these people.
Considering the lack of tempo in our game under LVG and that we hardly ever outran the opposition during Jose's time, I'd say OGS has a point here

Status
Not open for further replies.