Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not so much that we should definitely not have given him the job, but I think it was wrong to jump the gun. It gives the impression that a good run of games is enough to assess when it just isn't. We should have waited and weighed up his achievements. In my opinion he fell just short of doing what he needed to do to convince me he was the right person, as it turns out, though I do wonder if we had kept the position less certain, we might not have just got over the line in the race for 4th.

Ironically I distinctly remember the likes of Gary Neville saying we had to appoint him over the international break, which is exactly what we did. I don't see why, at all. It all smacks of poor leadership at the top of the club.

Like all United fans, I love Ole. I want him to be a success as our manager and I want him to be given time to rebuild the team. I hope he has it in him to do it. But do I really think he can? Probably not, especially given the way the club operates.
Hindsight is marvellous. Always.

The "Logic" if we can call it that at the time, was that he'd put an incredible run of wins in. It wasn't just a few games, it was something like 17 wins out of 20 or something incredible. Wins at all 3 big London teams, PSG etc.

The logic would have been that the earlier you confirm something, the more you can start to build from that, start scouting out players who would want to know early what they're signing up for, similar with contracts for the big players.

Obviously it's all turned for the worse for whatever reasons, but at the time it all seemed sensible, and most of us said "well deserved"

Mainoldo

I love the way seemingly everyone now says it was a "massive mistake" appointing Ole when we did, yet at the time, almost everyone was saying it was deserved etc.

This place is going to be toxis if we don't make a roaring start next season :eek:
Why are you surprised? This place is the real United board. Did you not witness us cheer Mourinho’s contract extension then blame everything after on the same damn extension:lol:

I honestly can’t see this working though. By the end of the transfer window if.... we have no formation, a squad still filled with deadwood FC and Harry Maguire. We are screwed.

jem

I love the man, but god that interview at the awards ceremony was uninspiring. I'm not feeling positive.:(

Runaway Sue

I love the way seemingly everyone now says it was a "massive mistake" appointing Ole when we did, yet at the time, almost everyone was saying it was deserved etc.

This place is going to be toxis if we don't make a roaring start next season :eek:
Almost everyone? I remember it was kind of even steven between him and Poch with many hundreds on both sides. Im pretty sure those who question Ole now are the same people who questioned him back then.

lysglimt

Scout
I have a question to those who thought appointing OGS was a mistake.

Hypothetically - 6 months from now, OGS has signed 3-4 of the most talented youngsters in the business and frequently plays our own youngsters like Gomes, Garner, Greenwood and Chong. In addition several of the deadwood-players have left, but not all.

United are out of the race for the title and and are struggling to keep up with Chelsea and Arsenal for 4th Place, not too far behind - but behind. The team is showing signs of playing more attacking football, but the youthful feel to the side makes it inconsistent. We are doing quite well in the Europa League where several of the youngsters are showing their talent against more average opposition

Would you want him gone or would you give him time to continue what he has started or do you think he should be replaced with a more experienced manager ?

Eleven-Eighteen

Only way he is sacked before next season is if we are under new ownership by then and Woodward is gone.

Woodward would be deemed insane and unemployable for ever more if he was the man to appoint a manager in March and sack him in May, especially given the three appointments he’s got wrong before this one.
Woodward has made a LOT of mistakes but hiring Mourinho was not one of them.

lysglimt

Scout
Last 2 CL games are best example why on highest level you must have excellent coach. Liverpool and Spurs won their games because Klopp and Poch made excellent tactical changes( against also good managers) and in the right time. First they both did it at half time then they made moves during the second half.

Our coach in our most important game of the season against Chelsea just watched how Chelsea is dominating us and still he didn't do anything until 70th minute when he just made player for player sub. And it was not the first time. He does that in every game. Late with subs and without any tactical change. If something is wrong in first 45,60 or 70 minutes then it will not change without doing something about it.
When you watch our games you clearly can see that there is a huge gap in knowledge between him and nearly every manager against we played.
God, what a awful signing he is. On this forum, dozens of times people used a phrase "pub player". Well, we hired pub manager.
So if you make one good substitution in a C.L semifinal you are a genious - regardless of how many times your subs failed to have an effect in the Premier League ? Spurs lost 13 games this season…

As for your comment about making changes - I looked at Spurs' last 5 games:

Ajax - one sub in the 46th minute - the other 2 after the 80th
Bournemouth - he made 2 subs in the 46th minute - after having a player sent off.
Ajax - Vertonghen injured in the 39th minute - 2 more subs in the 79th and 80th minute
West Ham - first sub after 66 minutes, then 77 and 85 minutes
Brighton - first sub after 80, 82 and 90 minutes

So clearly what you are saying is just not true. Pochettino doesn't usually make changes in the 45th or 60th minute when things are not going well. Nor does his subs. Against Brighton they got a goal, against West Ham or Ajax at home they did not. And then it paid off against Ajax away, but I contribute that more to nerves from Ajax than a moment of brilliance from Pochettino.

So if you want to attack OGS fine - but you could at least try to use facts, rather than conjuring up things that simply aren't true.

lysglimt

Scout
This thread will explode if pochh wins the champions league.
Hell yeah - explode with happiness :) I don't want Pochettino as manager but I don't mind if he performs the tactical masterstroke of a lifetime against Liverpool :)

Runaway Sue

I have a question to those who thought appointing OGS was a mistake.

Hypothetically - 6 months from now, OGS has signed 3-4 of the most talented youngsters in the business and frequently plays our own youngsters like Gomes, Garner, Greenwood and Chong. In addition several of the deadwood-players have left, but not all.

United are out of the race for the title and and are struggling to keep up with Chelsea and Arsenal for 4th Place, not too far behind - but behind. The team is showing signs of playing more attacking football, but the youthful feel to the side makes it inconsistent. We are doing quite well in the Europa League where several of the youngsters are showing their talent against more average opposition

Would you want him gone or would you give him time to continue what he has started or do you think he should be replaced with a more experienced manager ?
I am one of those who think it was a mistake to hire him. Not because i dislike him but because i dont think he has what it takes.
With that said.
If we show progression next season and we manage to build upon that i see no reason to replace him. I think we can all agree to this isnt a quick fix and if we slowly but surely progress im more than happy to wait a few seasons to see us back on top.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hindsight is marvellous. Always.

The "Logic" if we can call it that at the time, was that he'd put an incredible run of wins in. It wasn't just a few games, it was something like 17 wins out of 20 or something incredible. Wins at all 3 big London teams, PSG etc.

The logic would have been that the earlier you confirm something, the more you can start to build from that, start scouting out players who would want to know early what they're signing up for, similar with contracts for the big players.

Obviously it's all turned for the worse for whatever reasons, but at the time it all seemed sensible, and most of us said "well deserved"
Well speaking for myself, I always thought we should have waited until the end of the season and thought 'Hm, more evidence we are badly run' when we made the permanent appointment. I didn't see the need to do it before the end of the season.

redshaw

Well speaking for myself, I always thought we should have waited until the end of the season and thought 'Hm, more evidence we are badly run' when we made the permanent appointment. I didn't see the need to do it before the end of the season.
Might not be important to you but the Norwegian season started on the 31st of March, we appointed Ole on the 28th of March. Molde wanted to know if Ole was coming back or staying.

Also we had lost to Arsenal, Wolves and PSG before the 28th. Maybe the board thought announcing Ole as manager might give the squad a new boost but sadly the losses kept coming.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

I'm going to go ahead and assume there were two divisions to this - those who wanted him appointed asap and those who wanted us to wait.

BigRon1985

I love the man, but god that interview at the awards ceremony was uninspiring. I'm not feeling positive.:(
Whatever you may think about Van Gaal’s reign the man simply oozed presence, charisma and authority. I remember watching his first press conference since being appointed as manager thinking this is a proper Manchester United manager and the man to get us back to former glories - a total contrast to Moyes who just looked shell shocked at his. I’m afraid Solskjaer’s “tree-hugger” approach is not going to cut it with these lazy, over-paid, over-rated, selfish players. His biggest mistake is reminiscing about the good old days and being too pally with the players. They will throw him under the bus like they did with Mourinho make no mistake. We need someone like Marcelo Bielsa to kick their butts and drill some semblance of pride in the badge mentality into them.

jem

Whatever you may think about Van Gaal’s reign the man simply oozed presence, charisma and authority. I remember watching his first press conference since being appointed as manager thinking this is a proper Manchester United manager and the man to get us back to former glories - a total contrast to Moyes who just looked shell shocked at his. I’m afraid Solskjaer’s “tree-hugger” approach is not going to cut it with these lazy, over-paid, over-rated, selfish players. His biggest mistake is reminiscing about the good old days and being too pally with the players. They will throw him under the bus like they did with Mourinho make no mistake. We need someone like Marcelo Bielsa to kick their butts and drill some semblance of pride in the badge mentality into them.
And it's heartbreaking because Ole doesn't deserve this shit. He's the ultimate servant to United. He might not be the right manager for us, but if we had more players like him (ie. professionals who can actually do their jobs very well,) we'd be well on our way.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It became an in joke that he "needed to prove himself" in the next tough test as people dismissed easy games, luck, defensive, opposition being poor etc.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Baby Mourinho needs to go.

Doesn't know how to properly set up his team at home vs Palace.

In game management is reminiscent of Steve Bruce's though Bruce is probably more proactive when it comes to substitutions.

Set pieces all over the place.

Talks big but acts small.

United is never gonna win another trophy with a counter-attacking minded team.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
i don't blame the manager. you should have a 500 million quid bench.

Who can you bring on for Rashford? You are short of players.

Walters_19_MuFc

In game management is reminiscent of Steve Bruce's though Bruce is probably more proactive when it comes to substitutions.

Leicester won the league a few seasons ago with a counter attacking team.

That said, we lack consistent players like they had, such as Vardy, Mahrez, Kante, who constantly gave 8/9 out of 10 performances week in week out.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I still don't k ow if it was a mistake but I will always insist we should have waited till the end of the season.
"Cultural reset" my ass.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg

Like under Furgosons counter-attacking minded team?

In game management? He has to stand yelling for the players to know what to do?
Mason Greenwood in too late in earlier games, now not good enough?

Talks big but acts small? Thats more like YOU

pathetic post. Baby Mourhinho? You are the only baby here.

pablo__p

Not appointing a DoF is the root cause of this shite.

He seems not to be the second incarnation of Pep but he was hugely let down during the transfer window.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And what? Let him go and appoint another manager who will be held back by the incompetency and lack of ambition in the clubs hierarchy? We need a much much bigger change than just a new manager. Which is not the same as excusing Ole from a lot of valid criticism. But unless we address fundamental problems there won't be a big progression in the overall picture.

Judas

Open to offers
We rushed it, I can see why the club did rush it, but it was naive and foolish.

It was a mistake, and we'll regret it when I believe it comes to the summer and we're in an even bigger mess than we are now, when what is left of our quality players are looking to escape.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

That's what happen when you don't wait until the end of the season to appoint the manager, Ole had an incredible start but he wouldn't have been offered a permanent job if the board had waited for the season to end

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
i don't blame the manager. you should have a 500 million quid bench.

Who can you bring on for Rashford? You are short of players.
Right. It's been downhill ever since Woodward and the Glazers.

Ralph1386

That's what happen when you don't wait until the end of the season to appoint the manager, Ole had an incredible start but he wouldn't have been offered a permanent job if the board had waited for the season to end
Problem is, most people (not all the fans but definitely the media) started hyping him after the PSG victory. They were talking as if it would be stupid not to sign him after the start he had.

GioF

How are we not surprised we are shite?!?

It was obvious to everyone our midfield wasn’t good enough (even before Ander left) and attack wise we are way short of whats needed.

We are a mess but it’s pointless jumping on Ole because we’ve seen the same with Moyes, LVG and Jose. We need a culture change and a DOF with a true vision of the future.

Until that happens we will continually go through the cycle of decent one week, shite the next. The squad needs serious investment.

Roboc7

Of course was a mistake but if not Ole who else would we have got and what support would they get.

Reality is this is now a shit football club and it’s showing no signs of changing. It’s years to turn this round and we aren’t even close.

stepic

Not convinced he’s the right man for the job. But the squad is clearly not good enough anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.