Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiesarmy1

Yes we stick with Ole and yes plenty not cutting it (with the exception of Daniel, he works his socks off no rocket required he is one). But surely Pogba really could be that player if he stopped and thought about it. A potentially amazing player who could leave a proper legacy at this club. If he wants. Honestly, I think it is a simple choice for him. But has he got the character? Not convinced.
Pogba won’t be here next season so can’t see him creating a legacy in the next 8 months.

Enigma_87

You know who
But you didn't answer my question why would Poch die working for us. Do you think he is a fool? You are seriously underestimating the mess created by woodward and co. It's not that simple. Hey let us appoint poch and we will become awesome. We said the same when lvg was here, let us sack lvg we will look great, we said the same when Jose was here and now we are doing the same.Surely we have to be smarter than this.
If not Poch, get the next in line. We should always have backup option.

It’s like our transfer dealings - if not Varane then nobody. If not Sancho - don’t buy RW. Mental.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
It was a mistake. He does seem out of his depth and does not impress in terms of tactics, in game management etc.

Problem is that Im not sure another change of manager will help at this point and I just don’t want Ole to be sacked without being given the season, either.

It does seem weird now to think most people wanted Jose out after coming 2nd with this lot though.

Expectations are so low now none of the games look easy... Southampton away looks tricky..... No easy answers but. DOF with a long term plan might be a start.

AshRK

If not Poch, get the next in line. We should always have backup option.

It’s like our transfer dealings - if not Varane then nobody. If not Sancho - don’t buy RW. Mental.
It's the job of the upper management to take the clun forward. It's been 6 years surely it cannot be blamed solely on the managers. Truth is our board should have had a proper plan after jose was sackes but here we are doing the same. How do you trust them to take a right decision now.

Foxbatt

We have some players that can adhere to the total football philosophy implemented by Erik Ten Haag. Gomes, Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Lindelof, Greenwood, Chong, Maguire, Awb, Shaw and few other can easily learn this philosophy. It might not be what they are used to, but I believe these players have the technical ability to learn it.

Regardless, the fact is that if we had gotten Ten Haag earlier, this summer we would have been used to buy those players that can adapt to that philosophy. He has a much better philosophy than Ole and even though there will be question mark towards how he adapts to England, the United fan will know that we have a manager with a philosophy similar to Pep that will be attractive to watch. No one is interested in zombie football. I like Ole, but as a tactician, I m not a fan of his.
Agree with you that we have no tactical plan how to play football. It seems one set of way and that is kick long and run. Forget about VAR and referees and even results. This team does not know how to play football. This is why we are not winning against teams like Palace at OT. A blind man can see that when you see how we play. It is utterly unbelievable how bad it is the way we are set up or play. I am not saying we have to play Tiki taka but at least play with a sense where you know that in football what matters is the players be in the right place at the right time. You need to have three options for a pass and that is why the triangle is so important. That is the purpose of the diamond. It is not how you set up before the kickoff. It is how you play during the game where you have the three options to pass and that is how the diamond works.

I would say even the reserve coach at a place like Barca would get us to play better football than Ole.

Traub

The Moyes level was obvious from the moment that run of easy games finished. I don’t blame him for taking the job (who wouldn’t!). Everyone points to Ed’s failings in the transfer market as an indicator of his ineptness, but more importantly he is fecking terrible at picking managers.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's the job of the upper management to take the clun forward. It's been 6 years surely it cannot be blamed solely on the managers. Truth is our board should have had a proper plan after jose was sackes but here we are doing the same. How do you trust them to take a right decision now.
As I said we are very dependent on the manager providing the goods as Fergie left a big gap. Appointing a clueless one is actually the worst thing we could possibly do. Anything else is better.

Fluctuation0161

Appointing Woodward was a mistake.

Allowing the Glazers to take over the club was a mistake.

We are a mistake ridden club now.

Suck it up.

ArjenIsM3

Agree with you that we have no tactical plan how to play football. It seems one set of way and that is kick long and run. Forget about VAR and referees and even results. This team does not know how to play football. This is why we are not winning against teams like Palace at OT. A blind man can see that when you see how we play. It is utterly unbelievable how bad it is the way we are set up or play. I am not saying we have to play Tiki taka but at least play with a sense where you know that in football what matters is the players be in the right place at the right time. You need to have three options for a pass and that is why the triangle is so important. That is the purpose of the diamond. It is not how you set up before the kickoff. It is how you play during the game where you have the three options to pass and that is how the diamond works.

I would say even the reserve coach at a place like Barca would get us to play better football than Ole.
Well, we played worse footy when serial winner Mourinho was coaching us but yeah even the reserve coach from Barca would do better :rolleyes:

Fridge chutney

And yes, he's basically done what everyone was screaming for.

He's giving young players a chance and he's dropped most of the ones people wanted gone

Lukaku and Fellaini sold too and Sanchez most likely on his way too.

We are at the start of a big rebuild. We have a young team with new players bedding in.

Today was very disappointing, but you cannot be calling for the manager's head after 3 games, al of which we arguably deserved to win and were three better side in. We got mugged today by a very experienced manager fielding a very experienced team. They came for a 0-1 smash and grab and unfortunately got away with it twice.
Good perspective. I tend to agree with this. Tis a long season and there will be ups and downs.

AshRK

As I said we are very dependent on the manager providing the goods as Fergie left a big gap. Appointing a clueless one is actually the worst thing we could possibly do. Anything else is better.
It's not that simple. If anyone else was better Jose would have been still here. People may not like Jose but he is/was a very good manager. Same with lvg
Two different philosophies and both didn't work for this club. As long as Woodward is here no manager would be completely successful here. Our best option sadly is ole but looks like he will be the next victim.

Al-T

Hard to be overly critical of Ole. He's giving the youngsters a run, playing Martial Up top and has sidelined - but not been able to get rid of - Matic, Smalling,Rojo Jones.

We don't have sufficient options in midfield, or up front where we are reliant on two hugely overrated players, Martial and Rashford. Meanwhile, Sanchez sits like an injury prone White Elephant in a will he, wont he cash dispute with an Italian club - choose which one based on your tabloid preference.

It's not good enough. The squad isn't good enough. And while Ole may or may not be good enough, the overarching problem is that the parasitic Glazer family and their puppet Woodward are a Tapeworm in the gut of Manchester United. And in the absence of a financial Niclosamide or Praziquantel, we are unlikely to improve,

Enigma_87

You know who
It's not that simple. If anyone else was better Jose would have been still here. People may not like Jose but he is/was a very good manager. Same with lvg
Two different philosophies and both didn't work for this club. As long as Woodward is here no manager would be completely successful here. Our best option sadly is ole but looks like he will be the next victim.
It isn’t mate. I’m all for sticking with one manager but he is not it.

Ole is Moyes level.

Mr.Plow

This season's a write off. Not only is the squad lacking quality but it's horribly balanced and lacking depth. We arguably had a more well-rounded team when Ole took over.

Sacking him will do nothing. He's not the man to carry us forward but nobody's getting top 4 with this squad and that useless cnut Ed making the signings.

Terminator

Naive and tactically inept. Will be a long and hard season this. Every game against defensive teams is going to be a struggle. We give up the first goal, We are basically done.

Sterling Archer

Hard to be overly critical of Ole. He's giving the youngsters a run, playing Martial Up top and has sidelined - but not been able to get rid of - Matic, Smalling,Rojo Jones.

We don't have sufficient options in midfield, or up front where we are reliant on two hugely overrated players, Martial and Rashford. Meanwhile, Sanchez sits like an injury prone White Elephant in a will he, wont he cash dispute with an Italian club - choose which one based on your tabloid preference.

It's not good enough. The squad isn't good enough. And while Ole may or may not be good enough, the overarching problem is that the parasitic Glazer family and their puppet Woodward are a Tapeworm in the gut of Manchester United. And in the absence of a financial Niclosamide or Praziquantel, we are unlikely to improve,
He came out and said he didn't watch our match against Palace from last season. So I have to wonder how exactly he prepared for this game. I was a bit shocked hearing that in the presser

Zahed

3 wins, 3 draws and 9 losses in last 15 games. Woodward should have stuck to plan A - just have Solskaer as a temporary manager.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Appointing Ole was absolutely a mistake. Sums up the rubbish decisions we have repeatedly made since SAF retired. He is a playing legend but has no management credentials to hold a post of our size. We behave like a tiny football club.

fergiesarmy1

He came out and said he didn't watch our match against Palace from last season. So I have to wonder how exactly he prepared for this game. I was a bit shocked hearing that in the presser
In the presser thread it got ignored as un useful information. We were playing same team basically and same manager.

Don’t actually believe it though at this level.

Eddy_JukeZ

3 wins, 3 draws and 9 losses in last 15 games. Woodward should have stuck to plan A - just have Solskaer as a temporary manager.
I doubt he had a plan.

It was all fluff talk from Woodward.

Dreadful record though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The problem we have now though is if he gets sacked over the next 9 months we wont get the really top managers wanting the job. It's becoming the impossible job under the Glazers.

Sterling Archer

Really?

That's odd.
It struck me as extremely strange. And like @fergiesarmy1 says I too dismissed it. I mean, I understand its feckin Palace at home. But we lost to Cardiff at home with just about the same batch. So I really wonder what it was about. Hubris? On both occasions?

In the presser thread it got ignored as un useful information. We were playing same team basically and same manager.

Don’t actually believe it though at this level.
I can't believe it either. He's normally quite honest , straight forward and well spoken in the interviews. So it's not a slip or lapse. I think maybe he genuinely didn't watch them.

Zahed

We have this innate ability to turn any half decent player into a bag of poo. Look at how players improve when they come to City and Liverpool, why is it not happening at United?

SteveW

Anyone who's choosing to give out about Ole instead of the ridiculous refereeing today is a fecking shite supporter and should just piss off.

We were screwed. On top of that the keeper left in a last minute howler and we missed a penalty.

But its somehow fecking Oles fault? Just cop the feck on honestly.

Copa Mundial

He just doesn't seem to be a leader of men! If Ole gave me a b********g I would just feel meh!

Fergie gives me the hairdryer treatment I sit up and take note!

I'm beginning to think it's unlikely Ole will get much more out of this set of players.

fergiesarmy1

It struck me as extremely strange. And like @fergiesarmy1 says I too dismissed it. I mean, I understand its feckin Palace at home. But we lost to Cardiff at home with just about the same batch. So I really wonder what it was about. Hubris? On both occasions?

I can't believe it either. He's normally quite honest , straight forward and well spoken in the interviews. So it's not a slip or lapse. I think maybe he genuinely didn't watch them.

There has to be someone what watched the previous game.

Shirley :lol:

AshRK

It isn’t mate. I’m all for sticking with one manager but he is not it.

Ole is Moyes level.
You are still not telling the solution. You are focussing everything on Ole when the issue is beyond that. For once let us sack ole but who will come now and save the ship. Rather than singing ole out we should be singing woodward out. More pressure should be on him. Ole like jose like van gaal like moyes has become another pawn who somenof our fans like to blame and think replacing them will make us better. No it will not and trust me there aren't many managers who are dying to manage this club. This season was a messed up the moment our board decided not to get more quality players. I don't know what fans have been expecting Ole to do with this squad. Yes we should beat palace but unfortunately nothing is granted. If sacking ole and replacing him with "anybody" gives fans the satisfaction then yes let us go for it but trust me it will take the club nowhere.

fergiesarmy1

If they did, they would have maybe seen Lindelof lose the aerial battle against Palace, giving up a goal on a header (ruled offside).
Fazarkeley (and better memory than me :lol:) I remember managers who would sit piling through material before a game. It’s not rocket science is it.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Anyone who's choosing to give out about Ole instead of the ridiculous refereeing today is a fecking shite supporter and should just piss off.

We were screwed. On top of that the keeper left in a last minute howler and we missed a penalty.

But its somehow fecking Oles fault? Just cop the feck on honestly.
1 clean sheet in 18. 3 wins in 15. Going to blame that on refs too?

Face facts. It's sentiment only him being here. Had he never played for us he'd.not have had a chance at getting the job with his managerial CV. Not even made top 100 candidates.

Sterling Archer

Fazarkeley (and better memory than me :lol:) I remember managers who would sit piling through material before a game. It’s not rocket science is it.
Haha not that good at all. After b*tching about the staff not watching the match I went back to see how it was because I couldn't remember. It took just watching the highlights...

Denis79

No manager will make it here, there is no ambition from above and it shows.

fergiesarmy1

Haha not that good at all. After b*tching about the staff not watching the match I went back to see how it was because I couldn't remember. It took just watching the highlights...
If it went down in similar fashion to palaces first goal then it’s scandalous, piss poor goal to concede regardless.

Foxbatt

No manager may win PL or CL but any good manager would get us to play better football than this. I agree something wrong went with Jose in his third season but his first and second seasons were good and we won trophies and reached second place in the PL. At least in those two seasons we had a plan and played to the plan. Now we have no plan. Yes Barca's coach would have at least taught or get these players to play to a set way of playing. It is not lack of motivation that is the problem now but they do not seem to know how to play. As others have said you cannot play how you played in 1999 to how you play in 2019. Even Pep does not play the way Cruijff's Barca played.

cyril C

No wonder Ole never bothered to replace Fellaini and Herrera, because he doesn't need them. Our Plan A is to press high and counter-attack, plan B is to do the same with different personnel, perhaps Plan C is to throw in an extra man inside the box at the expense of another position. That's why Lukaku wants to go as he is only Plan B.

The old fox has found us out after just a few games. Any team that is willing to surrender possession can copy this tactics throughout the season. Suck up the pressure at your own half, long ball to the left as that guy is not very good in the air, there you create chaos and opportunity. Should we lose possession then quickly do a professional foul to stop their momentum.

We might get lucky with set piece or penalty next game but result will be rollercoaster like these 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.