Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
A new manager won't fix anything. The problems at the club run deeper than at the manager level. Ed is the one who needs to be sacked.
Ed is the problem and has been for some years now, he does not back any managers he protects the wealth of the Glazers. And he knows Jack shit about football, had he backed Jose last summer he would have had Maguire for 20 million less. And Jose would probably still be manager. Having said that I was still happy to see Jose sacked as he had too many issues with players. But the fault lies with Woodward who is still making the major decisions at the club despite having taken us from being a great football team to being a joke. What is happening right now at United is the result of a guy who has no idea about football, Woodward. His position is not in danger even though he has no clue.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Ole is work in progress. He's green, he's tactics need brushing (ex playing a high line with Maguire and Lindelof is crazy) and his transfer strategy border to the ridiculous. Who only buys local these days? Maybe Nigel Farage? However, there's the making of a decent manager there. His man management skills are quite good, his progressive football is quite nice to see and his tactics are as said flawed but not obsolete. In my opinion we should keep Ole but we need to support him adequately. That means a football CEO, a top DOF, a technical director and decent assistant managers who know a thing or two about football. Ole need help else he'll fail.
Not possible with Woodward at the wheel, When the whole situation goes tits up this season, do not blame Ole or call for him to be sacked. Call for that disgusting puppet face Woodward to be sacked after all he is the problem, along with his masters. He reminds me of one of those puppets from the Roswell UFO crash.

Last edited:

OverratedOpinion

We finished 5th last season and I think we will finish 5th this season, we have the 5th or 6th best team in the league so I don't really feel much disappointment with Ole. I think he made a mistake not replacing our main striker and we needed another midfielder but that may have been Woodward more than Ole.

fergiesarmy1

We finished 5th last season and I think we will finish 5th this season, we have the 5th or 6th best team in the league so I don't really feel much disappointment with Ole. I think he made a mistake not replacing our main striker and we needed another midfielder but that may have been Woodward more than Ole.
I doubt ole was to blame for any signing failure, more like our chief negotiator who thinks dealing with Nike and the Hong Kong jockeys club are the same thing as signing a footballer.

Chairman Steve

Not appointing a DOF or DOF figures at the club is the mistake so far. It still feels like Woodward and the marketing posse still think they can fit wedge someone into a SAF shaped hole, so that they don’t have to spend money to get those DOF people in or more likely they don’t want to relinquish power.

If we had these figures, we could work almost independently from the first team by identifying players who’d fit and looking for managers who’d fit. If OGS doesn’t work out then we can shake hands and say it just didn’t work out sadly, and we can put a new head coach in with ease.

We still don’t have that... Meanwhile Arsenal have had two big changeovers in this department in the past 18 months and Chelsea have hired Cech as a technical director.

At least Kroenke knew there was something wrong and decided to restructure it for Wenger leaving, and Abramovich isn’t THAT much of a control freak that he hires Frank Arnesen to run things.

OverratedOpinion

I doubt ole was to blame for any signing failure, more like our chief negotiator who thinks dealing with Nike and the Hong Kong jockeys club are the same thing as signing a footballer.
More than likely, the one thing that does worry me is that Ole might not feel like he has the stature as a manager to push for signings when needed but I suppose if they did not fold for Mourinho then it is unlikely that they would to anyone.

lysglimt

Scout
Fair enough. To be fair the board have failed Ole. But he should still have the players at his disposal to beat this Palace team.
When you miss a penalty, the opponent should have a red card in the 40th minute, when Another opponent should be sent off in the 88th minute, when your best central defender makes a horrible decision to cover for Shaw rather than doing his job, when VAR fails to spot a stonewall penalty..

Ole probably made mistakes in his tactics and his line-up - but we would have won that game 9 times out of 10.

lysglimt

Scout
More than likely, the one thing that does worry me is that Ole might not feel like he has the stature as a manager to push for signings when needed but I suppose if they did not fold for Mourinho then it is unlikely that they would to anyone.
He got Woodward to sign Maguire for £80 million - not even Guardiola did that from his club. So .. no..that is probably not it

90 + 5min

Was Moyes misstake? Was van Gaal misstake? Was Mourinho misstake? Was Ferguson misstake from start? Fergies position in the league were 11, 2, 11, 13, 6, 2 before we became successful. I'm not now saying that Ole will be that good. What I'm sayng is short term solutions are not always best.

As I wrote in another thread. You have to give him time. We have played 3 (!) games this season. 3! We have won against Chelsea and should have won against both Crystal Palace and Wolverhampton. Both those games we were unlucky not to get 3 points. Nobody can say that we are not playing better then last year and I can clearly see the progress. Yes, it doesn't look good sometimes but progress takes time. We are young team and young players tend to have up and down performences.

Give him 10-15 games and then we should see where we stand. Then we should evaluate. We knew we had young and tiny squad before season. To think we could challenge for league and win every game is just asking for to much.

Those who are calling for sacking now can't be real. Unfortunately we are living in time were everything should be done immediately and results should come immediately as well. We had great Mourinho, we had great van Gaal, we had Moyes. It didn't went as we hoped. Let Ole get his chance and see if he can do something better. For the club. For the future.

Fluctuation0161

When you miss a penalty, the opponent should have a red card in the 40th minute, when Another opponent should be sent off in the 88th minute, when your best central defender makes a horrible decision to cover for Shaw rather than doing his job, when VAR fails to spot a stonewall penalty..

Ole probably made mistakes in his tactics and his line-up - but we would have won that game 9 times out of 10.
We had 22 shots. 3 on target. Wasted set pieces, looked like we'd never seen a set piece in our life. Poor finishing. Theres no guarantee we would have scored against 10 men.

I'm not saying all this is Ole's fault. But this trend of dominating possession and shots but losing against teams that park the bus happened at the end of last season too.

Tyrion

Ed is the problem and has been for some years now, he does not back any managers he protects the wealth of the Glazers. And he knows Jack shit about football, had he backed Jose last summer he would have had Maguire for 20 million less. And Jose would probably still be manager. Having said that I was still happy to see Jose sacked as he had too many issues with players. But the fault lies with Woodward who is still making the major decisions at the club despite having taken us from being a great football team to being a joke. What is happening right now at United is the result of a guy who has no idea about football, Woodward. His position is not in danger even though he has no clue.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/fuenfjahresvergleich/wettbewerb/GB1

I agree with most of what you said but the bit about him not 'backing the managers'.

Over the last five years, City have spent £600m, Liverpool £100m, Chelsea £120m, Spurs £95m and Arsenal £270m. United spent £440m. (All figures net).

United spend plenty. It's just spent by people who don't know what they're doing (Woodward, LVG, Mourinho). That said, we did better business in the summer just gone so maybe Solskjaer might be a positive influence.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We had 22 shots. 3 on target. Wasted set pieces, looked like we'd never seen a set piece in our life. Poor finishing. Theres no guarantee we would have scored against 10 men.

I'm not saying all this is Ole's fault. But this trend of dominating possession and shots but losing against teams that park the bus happened at the end of last season too.
That trend is due to our lack of creative players, which lead to poor quality chances, great teams create great chances, they are not particularly clinical but they create more easy opportunity. But in general we are well organized even if we have the bad habit of losing our minds once or twice a game like we did on Palace last goal, you can't concede that goal when half of your team is behind the ball.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Nobody in the club can score a free kick(Mata can but he doesn't start). Nobody can actually cross a ball. What's the point of Maguire in the attacking box?

Who is to blame for this?

fergiesarmy1

Nobody in the club can score a free kick(Mata can but he doesn't start). Nobody can actually cross a ball. What's the point of Maguire in the attacking box?

Who is to blame for this?
Oh for the days when players stayed behind to practice things like free kicks and corners.

More important things like social media, computer games and plain old lazy bastards at united these days.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Oh for the days when players stayed behind to practice things like free kicks and corners.

More important things like social media, computer games and plain old lazy bastards at united these days.
Don't think we can blame the younger players. They have examples in front of them. The senior players who earn so much start week in week out without contributing feck all. They are social media stars and focus so much on promoting their own brands.

Why train hard when you can cut it at United like that?

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
EHm...and what gave you the idea that Jose and LvG with their egos is even remotely interested in helping ? LvG probably even less than Mourinho
It could be paid work. Someone else could do the work and interview them in the process. If there's a will there's a way.

Zas

Hello
I am from sudan far away from Manchester ... I am a huge supporter for this club .. you guys at manchester why don’t you protest and do something , we CANT TOLERATE this ... this time the protest should be taken up to the board not the manger and the players .... they are milking and drawing the club , by using our money when buying T-shirt’s , subscribing for the tv and extra ...every consumer know their right and they have treating us like shop consumers ...why we protest and show them we won’t consume this shit anymore ... they are ruining our life’s by making us worse every year .... PLEASE PROTEST ...PLEASE TAKE YOUR RIGHT
#edwoodward out , # glazers out

fergiesarmy1

Don't think we can blame the younger players. They have examples in front of them. The senior players who earn so much start week in week out without contributing feck all. They are social media stars and focus so much on promoting their own brands.

Why train hard when you can cut it at United like that?
Wasn’t aimed at the younger players, it’s the senior ones I’d love to grow some balls and show some more commitment and hopefully that would inspire the younger lads like Eric did for young lads back in the day.

Pogba thinks he shouldn’t even ride with the team some days :nono:

johanovic

Hopefully Sanchez, Fred, Matic,Rojo, Mata,Jones,Young,Darmian will be out the door a.s.a.p because they are nowhere good enough. The quality of the squad Ole inherited after the last 6 years was dire to put it mildly. At least this summer window seems to make sense even though we would have needed 3 more signings. But the question is what to do until january? Is playing the kids more not the only option? Get rid of the rest of that useless list of players here above and build the next part of the team? Gomes,Garner,Greenwood,Chong,Williams,Laird are all deserving of a chance to show what they can do. They would give a effort and surely play better than these experince players mentioned here above.

Foxbatt

Hopefully Sanchez, Fred, Matic,Rojo, Mata,Jones,Young,Darmian will be out the door a.s.a.p because they are nowhere good enough. The quality of the squad Ole inherited after the last 6 years was dire to put it mildly. At least this summer window seems to make sense even though we would have needed 3 more signings. But the question is what to do until january? Is playing the kids more not the only option? Get rid of the rest of that useless list of players here above and build the next part of the team? Gomes,Garner,Greenwood,Chong,Williams,Laird are all deserving of a chance to show what they can do. They would give a effort and surely play better than these experince players mentioned here above.
If all those players are sold in january then there is no one to play. It his fault that he did not get new midfield players and also sold Herrera and Fellaini and did not replace them. He also gave new contracts to Young, Mat and Jones.

thepolice123

The whole team's identity is in a mess. Seems like Ole can't even decide whats the direction for us. We can't even decide who to take the penalties or freekicks ffs. Why is Macguire telling Lindelof to take the freekick.:houllier:

sem

I still support him as manager.

However, I wish he can twist and change his tactic when we need a goal or facing different opponent. Seem like his tactic is a bit boring.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricky-romeo

one thing for sure, Ole can be tactically naive at times.

Jesse Lingard, a player who hasn't got a goal or an assists for almost a year, is our number 10. against the big teams like Spurs or Arsenal or Chelsea he will do well because we sit back and let the opposition have the ball, and we hit them on the counter. plus Lingard runs around a lot and close people down. There is a reason why Lingard tend to do well in the big games, and this is the reason. He is a runner and he is pretty good on the counter attack. Against teams that defend deep and put 10 men behind the ball, there is nothing Lingard can do because he doesn't have the creativity and the final pass to hurt teams. We just waste a player on the pitch with Lingard at no.10 playing home games. There are going to be 15 games like saturday at Old Trafford where we will have 65%-70% of possession and only have 3 shots on target if Ole keep on picking Lingard for this type of games.

even Juan Mata would be a better option than Lingard at no.10 for our home games. I am glad Ole is not picking Mata on the right wing anymore because that is one of the last thing I want to see , but if he is playing then he should be the no.10.

and of course we have even a better option. Angel Gomes. young, fresh, talented and is a number 10. his close ball control is absolutely brilliant and he has the killer pass in him. at least by playing lads like Gomes, Greenwood, Chong & Tuanzebe we are actually rebuilding. these guys needs game and this is actually the time to do so, especially after the torrid and disappointing summer transfer that we've got.

Foxbatt

What worries me is that he may play Gomes but on the left wing. Gomes needs to play in the centre. I would prefer if Ole gets Martial and Rashford together in the centre. I think the best option would be to play Sanchez and Rashford up front with Alexis dropping deep to collect the ball and Gomes in place of Lingard. But nothing I have seen from Ole has made me believe that he is capable of coaching a top football club. Even these bunch of players can be coached to play a lot better than they are playing right now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well off course it's a bad appointment.

What our fans asked is unrealistic, in order to become well supported our manager should :

1. Plays attacking football (while noble sometimes these is in conflict with other factors)
2. Blood youth (seriously, gomez greenwood and chong aren't ready yet, as seen by the last time greenwood hits the pitch. Is it realistic to play them just for the sake of it?)
3. Wins (although many are claiming that it doesn't matter if we lose as long as they see progress)
4. Have class (it's easy to do in particular, but it's very hard to stay classy when you need to pump some authority towards troubled player. Our fans seems to think that all our player needs is just an arm on their shoulder)
5. Not being given proper clean slate.
6. There's always a section of fans not happy with anything. Buying youth = cheap options for the glazer, buying top players = not looking for the future, buying young player = lack of ambition, buying old player = short termist, happy with the board = glazer stooges, not happy with the board = toxic management.

we are really becoming a poisoned chalice

Suv666

Ole is the only good thing the club has done post Fergie. He's not the problem. Look at our net spend for the past 2 windows, there lies the problem. Even Arsenal overspent us. How the feck is Ole supposed to compete when he isnt getting the proper funds.

romufc

Ole needs to get hold of a hair dryer.. some of these guys need it. It is no surprise the two who need a kick up is the two players that he has blinded faith in. Rashy and Pogba.

The only way we get better is if we reward players who try. This morning should be Martial, you have been fantastic the last 3 games and Rashy and Pogba have been poor.

The other two are way in over their heads

Hughie77

So far I the 3 games, it's been plan A! Plan B C or D , hasn't materialised yet ? Game management was great in 1st game, 2nd was just pure unfortunate, 3rd game was just poor decisions on pitch by the more experienced players!

Next game we see if there is any change to game management?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
November international break. It's always the key one.

Kemizee

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Of course I wanted to give Moyes time.

As - because I support Man Utd, I am well aware that our two most prestigious and historic periods of dominance came about because we gave young managers time and patience to implement their strategies. Moyes was NEVER gonna follow Ferguson off the bat. His appointment was made by Fergie and Gill as a long-term strategy. Six year contract they gave him.

Big problem was; Gill and Fergie surrendered control of the club, leaving it in the hands of Ed Woodward who didn't - like you -have the patience afforded to Busby and Fergie - to wait 4/5 years for success. SO he sacked him; hired a manager with a great CV. Then sacked him and hired another manager with a great CV. And now our club is a mess. In a hundred times deeper than had we stuck with Moyes. If we had have stuck with Moyes, yes the first 2/3 seasons would have ben disjointed as he balanced the squad to his purpose, but by now he would have TOTAL control over that dressing-room. And the first team would be in his vision only. Right now; our first team is in the vision of Fergie/Moyes/LvG/Jose and Ole What a fecking mess. This is the type of mess you get when you don't give a manager the time and patience required for a club like United to get back to the top. The day our club lost its identity was the day they sacked Moyes.

Yet your bloody ridiculous opinion is that we should make a further mess, by appointing another manager. How does that make sense to anyone?

I know people at the club. I know how much effort the entirety of the club are putting behind Ole. They have restructured the academy to see fit to the first team (just as Fergie did back in 86).. the academies at all levels playing the same system as the first team.. a view to us promoting more from within.

The ground work is only at the beginning stages. Thinking the first team should be competing at the top of the Prem League is just plain stupid. Our first team is in way too much of a mess to do that. But Ole is slowly but surely turning that around. Getting rid of the disruptors in the dressing-room and turning to young, hungry players who would bleed for our club. This is a LONG-TERM project.

And you better get used to it. Because the club are investing in this. Ole is going nowhere. And me - and a lot of people inside the football club (as well as the mature match day fans) are delighted about it! Sense at the club at last.
Ridiculous post!! So because our earlier success came due to affording Fergie time means Moyes would have also succeeded? Why then do clubs sack managers if all they need to succeed is afford them more time? Moyes was completely out of his depth and should have never had any business managing Man United were it not for Fergie's recommendation.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ole is the only good thing the club has done post Fergie. He's not the problem. Look at our net spend for the past 2 windows, there lies the problem. Even Arsenal overspent us. How the feck is Ole supposed to compete when he isnt getting the proper funds.
You wonder what Ole actually thinks of this squad he has been given, compared to some of the teams he played in. It must give him sleepless nights.

Jacob

We must consider the facts that we are playing at or close to the level of our players. 3 managers failed before him, with the same crop of players. Ole will likely do it too unless we cleanse and buy properly - so far, that is what Ole has done.

Once Mata, Darmian, Rojo, Sanchez, Young, Smalling and Jones are gone and replaced - it will begin to feel like a proper United team again. I'd even consider letting go of DDG and Pogba, the former is declining rapidly and the latter is a thorny rose.

Godfather

We must consider the facts that we are playing at or close to the level of our players. 3 managers failed before him, with the same crop of players. Ole will likely do it too unless we cleanse and buy properly - so far, that is what Ole has done.

Once Mata, Darmian, Rojo, Sanchez, Young, Smalling and Jones are gone and replaced - it will begin to feel like a proper United team again. I'd even consider letting go of DDG and Pogba, the former is declining rapidly and the latter is a thorny rose.
7 players out. That's about 5-6 years.

Jacob

7 players out. That's about 5-6 years.
Probably by United standards. It could be done in one window if we act like Real and the like.

It all depends on contracts too, if there aren't any buyers, the Glazers will be reluctant to mutually terminate at an expense.

Sanchez is top priority to get rid of though, super high wages and still 3(!) years remaining on the contract.

Matic - Summer 2020
Darmian - Summer 2020
Young -Summer 2020
Bailly - Summer 2020
De Gea - Summer 2020

Rojo - Summer 2021
Mata - Summer 2021
Lingard - Summer 2021

Sanchez - Summer 2022
Smalling - Summer 2022

Jones - Summer 2023
Fred - Summer 2023

Last edited:

Madzik_92

So is Allegri good enough to replace Ole? In tactical, game plan point of view? Is he a defensive minded coach?

EireRed_GS

Im not gonna jump on Ole's back just yet. He's pretty much fighting with one arm tied behind his back. He inherited his bunch of sh*te, and has not been backed enough in the summer to sort out the glaring gaps in the squad.

Hes made some positive moves in phasing out some of the donkeys in the squad and moving in some young lads with big potential.

But if he continually keeps making decisions like ie. repeatedly picking Lingard when been absolutely useless, ill be questioning him then.

We are desperately in need of some creative drive through the middle. Surely Ole knows this. Im taking his comments with a pinch of salt, and behind the scenes hes seething hes been let down. ..Well thats me thinking positive. Because if he genuinely is happy with Lingard at no.10... we are in deep sh*t

ArjenIsM3

Well off course it's a bad appointment.

What our fans asked is unrealistic, in order to become well supported our manager should :

1. Plays attacking football (while noble sometimes these is in conflict with other factors)
2. Blood youth (seriously, gomez greenwood and chong aren't ready yet, as seen by the last time greenwood hits the pitch. Is it realistic to play them just for the sake of it?)
3. Wins (although many are claiming that it doesn't matter if we lose as long as they see progress)
4. Have class (it's easy to do in particular, but it's very hard to stay classy when you need to pump some authority towards troubled player. Our fans seems to think that all our player needs is just an arm on their shoulder)
5. Not being given proper clean slate.
6. There's always a section of fans not happy with anything. Buying youth = cheap options for the glazer, buying top players = not looking for the future, buying young player = lack of ambition, buying old player = short termist, happy with the board = glazer stooges, not happy with the board = toxic management.

we are really becoming a poisoned chalice
Spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.