Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavelinaJolie

The squad clearly isn't good enough, but not seeing it with Ole either. Football is disjointed, faith in Lingard is disappointing, and he doesn't look like he's motivating players like Rashford or Pogba.

When he was appointed permanently I thought it was hasty and they should have waited til the end of the season, but was prepared to go along with it and support him. I just see the ship sinking fast now and he doesn't seem to have any control over things.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Are people who suggest this being serious?
This. Every Ajax manager over the past decade has been hailed as the "next great manager" at some point. They've all failed to live up to their supposed potential. It's more likely that Ajax are just a fantastically run club, where the manager ultimately isn't of crucial importance to their success.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
The squad clearly isn't good enough, but not seeing it with Ole either. Football is disjointed, faith in Lingard is disappointing, and he doesn't look like he's motivating players like Rashford or Pogba.

When he was appointed permanently I thought it was hasty and they should have waited til the end of the season, but was prepared to go along with it and support him. I just see the ship sinking fast now and he doesn't seem to have any control over things.
And unfortunately in most cases, even with good management, when the ship sinks it really sinks.

ExoduS

Appointing Moyes was a mistake, appointing LVG was a mistake, appointing Mourinho was a mistake, appointing Solskjaer is a mistake. What about not having great players is a mistake?

RooneyLegend

This. Every Ajax manager over the past decade has been hailed as the "next great manager" at some point. They've all failed to live up to their supposed potential. It's more likely that Ajax are just a fantastically run club, where the manager ultimately isn't of crucial importance to their success.
None of those managers did what he did.

Skills

Snitch
You dont want a top proven manager
You dont want a young unproven manager

Just say it you want poch. Stop beating around the bush and get to the point.

Before we get poch this division in the fans will not help the team.
Who's that?

Alabaster Codify7

Appointing Moyes was a mistake, appointing LVG was a mistake, appointing Mourinho was a mistake, appointing Solskjaer is a mistake. What about not having great players is a mistake?

I agree, but all of those managers welcomed these players. Ole included. He reckons he's happy with this mid-table squad. He'll die by that sword because legend or not, when the shit hits the fan, he's gone.

And believe me, no top manager will take this poisoned chalice. We'll be appointing Carrick as full-time manager because 'he knows the United way' and the same bollocks briefings will come out about Mike believing in youth and following the way of SAF...….until it becomes clear that no amount of youth can account for the dross in this team, and Carrick is fired too. We're on a slippery, diabolical slope here and I refuse to be optimistic about what my own eyes see.

Jackal

Do you honestly believe that Jones, Smalling (almost 20 years between them at the club), Lukaku, Sanchez and Fellaini were/are good enough to play for Manchester United?

The first 2 should by now be what Maguire is for the team but they have not really and never will improve. Smalling peaked with LVG. They're decent defenders but they're not good footballers.

Lukaku and Sanchez? Where do you start? Quite possibly two of the worst signings the club has ever made, absolute f*cking garbage. I know that because I had to suffer watching them 'represent' the club.

The only thing our former 'manager' can manage is his way out of a club when he can no longer be arsed. It was inevitable that he would get the job at some point, I'm just glad that its over and we can move on - which is exactly what Ole is doing.
You're glad with 3 wins in the last 16 games? It's not as if the football is even better, it's the same old garbage of players giving the ball away like the ball is diseased.

The standards are now 40,000 kilometres below sea level.

Castia

What makes you think there's any chance Matic goes in Jan?
I can see Young staying another year as well. We're a club who signed Jones and Mata on again with fairly decent lengthed deals.
Pretty clear he's down the pecking order, we've barely got a midfield and today's 20 minute cameo was his first appearance of the season. If he stays on until next summer I'm pretty sure we'll sell him on.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ed should bite the bullet and sack him now in order to save him the trouble of doing so in November. 6 defeats in 8 is unprecedented in it's awfulness. It's becoming increasingly clear that he hasn't got a clue how to turn the tide. United need a new manager and staff with a clear vision how to play progressive football.

A few months later and it's like Mourinho never left:

Still faffing about with the defense (is he really the man to shore up this defense?)
Still playing the same formation
Still willing to give the deadwood more chances
Still shunting Rashford to the wing
Still putting Matic straight back into the team
Still calling out the players in the press
Still talking about the past
Still negative

At least Mourinho would have had them fired up to come back from a losing position once in a while.
I read your post with the beat of " Still " from Dr.Dre :lol:

JK-27

Some very poor managerial decisions in the past 2 games, the most disturbing of which is to see us struggling to score and yet leavig it to the 80th minute to bring on creative players.

Didn't bring Mata on until the 80th minute against Palace (yet starts him the following week, only to sub him). Didn't bring Greenwood (who the manager has stated is ready for the Prem) until the 82nd. What are these players supposed to do with 10 minutes of playing time? And why are you bringing them on late one week, starting them the next, and subbing them anyway?

Ole (Phelan, Carrick et. al) 'You don't know what you're doing'. It's obvious.

Foxbatt

Or Phelan and Carrick have no real say? It's not the way Phelan set up his team to play.
It's not the way Carrick played.

M4nu4Life

Sanchez, Damian, Lukaku, Smalling out were all good moves.

Herrera was 50/50, but we can not continue to pay stupid contracts to average players.

Ideally we should have strengthened the midfield, but we should save a bit of money on wages this year and invest heavily next year.

I am not expected a top 4 finish.

passing-wind

Ole can only work with what he has, blame the board and that goon Ed woodshite.
Better 11 than Wolves, Palace and Southampton. Results far south of the boarder. Solskjaer will most likely be gone end of the season.

Steerpike

Some fans apparently. We should never appoint a world class manager because we did in the past. :lol:
What exactly is "a world class manager" anyway?

With the possible exceptions of Jose Mourinho and Louis Van Gaal, I don't think we've ever appointed a manager who, at the time they joined us, would have been considered "world class". Probably the best British manager ever, and the best we ever had, joined us after spells at East Stirling, St Mirren and Aberdeen - hardly the stamping grounds of "world class" managers. Our second best manager hadn't managed anybody at all prior to taking up his post.

The ideal isn't to hire a proven "world class" manager, one who has most likely already started to decline by the time he's appointed, but to find the person who will become "world class".

Is Jurgen Klopp world class? Whether you think he is or not, he would certainly not have been described as such when he was appointed.

Is Pep Guardiola world class? Given his success at three different clubs, you would probably say yes to that. Was he world class at the point he joined City? Perhaps he was, but there was a suspicion that he'd not really been tested at either Barcelona or Bayern given their dominant status in their respective leagues.

Who else out there is world class? How sure are we that their description as such is merited by what they can accomplish in the future rather than what they have achieved in the past? Does being a great manager in, say, La Liga translate into being a great manager in the Premier League?

I'm sure Ole's reign will not be a long one (is anyone's these days?), but I definitely hope his replacement is not based solely on past accomplishments in foreign leagues.

Foxbatt

Fergie had a record in breaking the Glasgow monopoly and winning the Cup Winners Cup beating Bayern and Real on the way.
So he was hardly a novice like Ole who has done nothing of importance.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I think we couldn't draw interest from any top shelf managers. I suspect the owners aren't concerned about chasing CL places, but rather want the club to turn a profit. So they picked the person they felt has the most gravitas with the supporters. It's like Milan appointing Leonardo, Seedorf or Inzaghi. The club's didn't plan to invest, so instead of picking the best manager possible, they picked a former player who will get more patience with supporters than someone they have no affinity for.

Foxbatt

I am sure that they are lots of top class managers who are keen in being the manager at Manchester United. Certainly managers who has much better pedigree or achievements than Ole in management

Sterling Archer

Better 11 than Wolves, Palace and Southampton. Results far south of the boarder. Solskjaer will most likely be gone end of the season.
Have to agree. It's hard to make the squad excuse. Are we really much worse than the squad Jose took to 2nd? I don't think so at all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We've seen an exodus of players leaving without being replaced. That's all with Ole’s blessing who keeps saying he has plenty of options upfront

Shimo

Am really torn here. I like the way OGS has a vision for the club, the idea of bringing in youth, trying to be more attacking but, with the idea of being more solid in the back. He's rid of of some players that don't fit the idea and others he has relegated to the bench or stands. He remains positive in his interviews and doesn't outwardly cause strife.

I was willing to look past the dramatic fall off after the PSG game, there were lots of signs during the games that he was just lacking as a manager but, perhaps it was just that the team had lost any faith and also had fatigued. But, now the the start of the season and that includes the Chelsea game, I am getting a feeling that as a manager he just doesn't have it. That acumen to setup the team right from the start and certainly not when things aren't going wrong.

Today's game was a microcosm of his overall failings. That starting XI with Perreira as a winger and Mata in the 10. We weren't going to be able to press with Mata and win the ball quickly he wasn't going to help in midfield, so we were going to get overrun. Perreira as a winger? Come on, that's just silly. Ok fine, he tried something different to get a reaction but, as the game wore on what was clear as day was Perreira was just shit in the role he had today and further back Pogba was having an absolute nightmare of a game. We were not creating enough to get the second. Instead of bringing on Matic earlier so that Pogba could perhaps influence the game higher up the pitch and take off the highly ineffective Perreira, he waited till after they scored.

His tactical adjustments in game are just non-existent and that is a very scary. He showed it multiple times last season and it's rearing its head up again. I mean look at a simple goal kick. Southampton had the short one covered and one it didn't seem that we had any idea of how to counter it with adequate adjustments and two, if it wasn't working, then go long, go with the idea that we are going to press and win the ball back further up the pitch but, OGS just didn't do anything.

He is very likable but, more and more, seems like as a top level manager, there is something extremely lacking.

tenpoless

Relying on Ole, Phelan and Carrick just to bring the United way back isn't enough when the competitors have Pep fecking Guardiola and fully functioning squads.

What I hate the most about our decisions, is that They're always short sighted.
  • Hired Moyes (didn't work) well.. He was clueless, lets try to find a more credible manager. Need a good rebuilder so in a few years, We'll have a solid base. Need a rebuilder NOW.
  • Hired LvG (didn't work) well.. He gave youth a chance but He failed. Lets try to find a seasoned winner, nothing should go wrong this time, feck youth and long rebuilds, need silverwares NOW.
  • Hired Jose (didn't work) well.. He failed regardless of credibility, fans moaned about youth not being given a chance. Lets hire someone who understands the club, feck credibility, feck silverwares, need youth NOW.
  • Hired Ole after a good streak of results, He trusted youth and then it went down the toilet after that.
You can see how every step We took, was based on the previous manager's failure, not the successes and definitely not the big picture. We didn't care if hiring the new manager would mean a total revamp to the core of the team, didn't care about if their playstyle is similar, didn't care about not continuing the older plan/vision and redoing it from scratch.

If appointing Ole turned out to be a mistake it's the management's responsibility. We're just a club that never learns. Wouldn't surprise me if the next manager would be someone random and have a totally different plans than Ole. I remember people saying City bought a lot of expensive players that wouldn't be there for long, well, take a look at them, some of them remained the core players for almost a decade and helped them won trophies. That's how you do a long term planning and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Jaap

Shouldn‘t be too hard to implement a playing style that won’t take months & numerous transfer windows with a positive and experienced manager.
Other managers have succeeded in that aspect as well.

Treble

Moyes and Ole are in part Fergie's mistakes. Or have a lot to do with Fergie. The old man shouldn't be consulted about the next appointment.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Like some have hinted we have hired a DOF as a manager. However I think Ole has to be allowed to carry on with his clear out of this squad. He does know how this squad should look and how a Manchester United team should play. It is now up to the club to back him. Now is Ole the man to manage them in the long term, I am not sure. If we get rid of him now we will be back to square one yet again. It is going to get ugly at times, we can all have a good moan, but know it should be for the best in the end. Get a manager who works with young players and can take us back to the top and make Ole the DOF after that. We just cannot make the change yet. This is going to take some time.

TsuWave

He does know how this squad should look and how a Manchester United team should play.
People keep saying this, but it’s a myth. Manchester United has had different squads that played different brands of football and were successful under Ferguson. There’s no “Manchester United” recipe out there that only the likes of Ole would be privy too.

Ole is just not up to par.

redshaw

Some very poor managerial decisions in the past 2 games, the most disturbing of which is to see us struggling to score and yet leavig it to the 80th minute to bring on creative players.

Didn't bring Mata on until the 80th minute against Palace (yet starts him the following week, only to sub him). Didn't bring Greenwood (who the manager has stated is ready for the Prem) until the 82nd. What are these players supposed to do with 10 minutes of playing time? And why are you bringing them on late one week, starting them the next, and subbing them anyway?

Ole (Phelan, Carrick et. al) 'You don't know what you're doing'. It's obvious.
He did bring on Greenwood against Palace on the 56th minute, so he had over half an hour but yes Ole is usually too late to put the subs on.

Trouble is it's like put a new sprocket into a broken machine.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People keep saying this, but it’s a myth. Manchester United has had different squads that played different brands of football and were successful under Ferguson. There’s no “Manchester United” recipe out there that only the likes of Ole would be privy too.

Ole is just not up to par.
There isn't a definitive way, but it certainly wasn't how we ended up under LvG and Jose. Yes you have games where you bunker down and ideally you do want to try and keep the ball, but there has to be a purpose to it. As I said Ole would be better working with a top manager as a DOF. He is trying to get the size of the squad down to bring our youngsters through, it will also make it younger so set for years. They are also trying to get the wage bill down for this season. The problem we then have is as Ole is not managing the team that well is what position we end up in and how it affects next summer recruitment.

We now have to hope Sanchez has a good season to create a market for him. That Smalling does as well for same reason. Do I think Ole is happy with this summers business? I highly doubt it. He will be glad to get rid of some players, but will have expected at least a midfielder and a striker on top of what he received. The board have made an extremely difficult job even harder for him.

Eric7C

Looking at Leicester and how Rodgers has completely transformed them you have to ask yourself what the feck are we playing at here.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.
How will @SteveJ make fun of Rodgers if he were United manager!?

You do have a point however. I would take him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.