Appointing Solskjaer was a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

We were trying to sign him, which is contradictory to your "we refuse to sign foreigners" bs.

He isnt here now is he
I don't see the problem even if we were trying to sign British players if they fit the bill.

CB - We wanted someone who knows the league and is proven Maguire is
RB - I dont see a better RB in the market than AWB
LW - James was a prospect that United have always bought them kind of players in the past.

It's not like we bought players who are crap.

Mihai

I don't see the problem even if we were trying to sign British players if they fit the bill.

LW - James was a prospect that United have always bought them kind of players in the past.

Again, players who fit the bill and refuse to sign foreign players is different. It's not that we turned into Bilbao.

romufc

Again, players who fit the bill and refuse to sign foreign players is different. It's not that we turned into Bilbao.
That is my point. I don't think we have refused to sign foreign players. We just needed to hit the reset switch, get back some identity which was getting lost.

You can already see the difference between Maguire, AWB, James and say a Fred

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That is my point. I don't think we have refused to sign foreign players. We just needed to hit the reset switch, get back some identity which was getting lost.

You can already see the difference between Maguire, AWB, James and say a Fred
Well, this is maybe for another topic but you mentioned Fred. Give Fred equal chance like we give to domestic players and it is (maybe) different story. There is huge difference in our patience with domestic players and foreign. Martial/Rashford, Fred/McT, Blind/Jones, Cleverley/Anderson, Lingard/Depay are just some examples.

romufc

Well, this is maybe for another topic but you mentioned Fred. Give Fred equal chance like we give to domestic players and it is (maybe) different story. There is huge difference in our patience with domestic players and foreign. Martial/Rashford, Fred/McT, Blind/Jones, Cleverley/Anderson, Lingard/Depay are just some examples.
I agree but that is to do with our fan group. The difference in the players you have mentioned is Martial, Fred, Depay all came with big reputations and price tags.

As a fan you are always going to give a homegrown player more leway than one singed for millions.

Martial has been given alot of slack, he is just frustrating because we know he has the talent.

Rashford seems like he needs to be pulled back a peg or two.

Fred needs a run of 5 games not one in one out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree but that is to do with our fan group. The difference in the players you have mentioned is Martial, Fred, Depay all came with big reputations and price tags.

As a fan you are always going to give a homegrown player more leway than one singed for millions.

Martial has been given alot of slack, he is just frustrating because we know he has the talent.

Rashford seems like he needs to be pulled back a peg or two.

Fred needs a run of 5 games not one in one out.
Exactly my point. Foreign players come with price tag and i accept that. But last few years we went too far with protection of domestic players and with that we became too harsh with foreigners. Fred played well when Ole was interim and then 2 bad games he is out. Depay started great then came bad form and he never got another real chance. It is hard for any player( despite how strong he is in his head) to play under that pressure. One bad game and you are out and after month on the bench they get one game to prove themselves. Martial and Rashford under Jose played nearly in the same form. Martial lost his spot after every bad game but Rashford and Lingard played and played and played. Blind finished first Jose's season great but next year he was again down in packing order behind Jones and Smalling.

Alexis was complete flop, not arguing that but after he lost his place in squad, he never got real chance again. Game then ynd there and that is it. And by real chance i mean like you said. 5,6 games in a row.
It is pressure on managers by our board. Even Mourinho adapted on that. Our managers know that they will get points with fans and board if they play domestic players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly my point. Foreign players come with price tag and i accept that. But last few years we went too far with protection of domestic players and with that we became too harsh with foreigners. Fred played well when Ole was interim and then 2 bad games he is out. Depay started great then came bad form and he never got another real chance. It is hard for any player( despite how strong he is in his head) to play under that pressure. One bad game and you are out and after month on the bench they get one game to prove themselves. Martial and Rashford under Jose played nearly in the same form. Martial lost his spot after every bad game but Rashford and Lingard played and played and played. Blind finished first Jose's season great but next year he was again down in packing order behind Jones and Smalling.

Alexis was complete flop, not arguing that but after he lost his place in squad, he never got real chance again. Game then ynd there and that is it. And by real chance i mean like you said. 5,6 games in a row.
It is pressure on managers by our board. Even Mourinho adapted on that. Our managers know that they will get points with fans and board if they play domestic players.
ManUtd fans (especially the twitter ones) worship Martial, wants Bailly in the team, hated the sight of Smalling, Jones, Lingard, Young and even Rashford.

Few players wants out when they know they are not regular starters, few players like Jones, Lingard will stay no matter what. You can point out Jones overstayed and then on the other hand we have Rojo who has been shit, injured and on huge wages. You can mention Lingard, on the other hand, Mata should have gone too but he got nice contract for 2+1 years.

You can also point out that we have offloaded out 2nd/3rd best CB Smalling and retained Bailly and Rojo.

Martial didn't play more than Rashford as Jose wanted players who tracked back and worked harder. In 6 seasons we signed only 1 English player (first team players) but somehow you are saying board wanted managers to play English/Domestic players.

Blind was starter under Van Gaal but he was benched when Jose took over as he wanted more physical player, whereas Van Gaal wanted ball playing CB. You can search reasons for every player.

Regarding Fred and McTominay, Fred started 7 league games, 3 CL games, 1 FA cup game last season under Ole.
McTominay started 6 PL games, 1 FA cup game, 3 CL games.

So Fred started more games than McTominay last season.

romufc

I agree. Depay should have been given more time other than that, Schneriderlin, Sanchez all have been pretty poor. Let's be honest our signings haven't been that great.

Martial is been given a good go by Ole, same with Pogba, Lindelof. You cannot dispute Ole is giving players a chance.

I think with Sanchez it was alot to do with off field distractions as well. But I am all for giving Rashford, Greenwood a chance too but there comes a point Rashford has to be dropped on his current form.

Noc-Z

ffs
How does selling two midfielders, one who was a regular starter and the second who was highly effective and offered something different, without replacing either make sense? The best teams have the best midfield, or at least a midfield that functions with chemistry.
Because Fellaini doesn't belong in a United squad - he's dire. And Herrera for all of his effort, didn't have any great output. McTominay has contributed no less than Herrera would have.

The midfield is very thin though, yes. It's not where it should be...yet! I'm saying every thing he has done so far makes sense. Jobs not done. The right midfielders will hopefully be added in time. There's no point padding out the squad with players who are gettable. better to wait and get your first choices. Patience.

Shark

@NotShark
Because Fellaini doesn't belong in a United squad - he's dire. And Herrera for all of his effort, didn't have any great output. McTominay has contributed no less than Herrera would have.

The midfield is very thin though, yes. It's not where it should be...yet! I'm saying every thing he has done so far makes sense. Jobs not done. The right midfielders will hopefully be added in time. There's no point padding out the squad with players who are gettable. better to wait and get your first choices. Patience.
Meanwhile we’re just waiting for Paul Pogba to abandon ship. Patience.

RooneyLegend

There is no value in the British market and the talent is not good enough to get us where we want to be.

starman

There is no value in the British market and the talent is not good enough to get us where we want to be.
The "British market", isn't that transfers between British clubs? theres value there, Liverpool have proven that....
As for strictly British/Homegrown talent, theres lots available that would improve United.

SAFMUTD

I think its inevitable that we lose Pogba, he is a world class player and there's nothing we can realistically do to put ourselves in the position of immediate success that I imagine he wants. This rebuild, at least how what we call it, will last if all goes well for at least 2-3 years before we can start really challenging City and Liverpool, I don't think Pogba has the patience to wait for it, damn I wouldn't.

He has already wasted 3 years here and is about to waste another one, so I don't think he will commit himself to another 4-5 years without any warranties, which again we can't provide. So he'll be off to Madrid or Barcelona next year surely and it's nobodies fault but ours.

He'sRaldo

We talk a great deal about the manager on this forum, however, few threads are directed at the coaching and supporting staff. ( Yes I know that Ole has brought some of his own staff in ) but should they not be scrutinised for their performance and advice. I assume that Ole takes advice from his team when deciding who will play and the tactics for the game on how his squad have performed in training. If that feed back is poor then that certainly affects his team selection and tactics.
For example lets us look back on Lukaku, he certainly bulked up in his last twelve months with us and in my opinion this effected his performance. Now was this on the advice of the staff at OT., if not then the question arises did they not put into a training plan to rectify the problem or did Lukaku ignore their instructions. Either way were the staff informing the manager of their concerns.
I appreciate as fans we will not have an insight into that part of the club to enable us to draw a conclusion.
Good point.

I wonder if Moyes sacked all our good staff and as a result, we're finding it hard to improve players in recent times. Everyone who comes here seems to stagnate somehow.

romufc

Yes, that great word no value. The reason English clubs demand a higher fee is because they don't need to sell.

But I guess there is alot of value around Europe where Felix is worth £100m

The problem with buying players from the continent is they take a while to adapt to the Premier League, clubs would rather take a £80m proven English CB over a £60m CB playing in Portugal.

Danny Roberts

This thread seems to have gone off topic but when it comes to Ole we need to give him time. A manager needs two full seasons IMO before you can really judge him. Maguire, Wan-Bisakka and James look like good signings. Another window or two and we'll start to get there.

Noc-Z

ffs
I'll be happy when Pogba abandons ship, I'd happily send him on his way on a lifeboat. We have too much to address so it obviously wasn't possible in the summer - far too much needing done all at once. But ideally, I would have cashed in on him and rebuilt the midfield. Yeah patience, as the state we are in there is no quick fix.

yamo123x

Ole was the obvious choice..... more people wanted him than didnt. He lifted the club after the Mourinho self implosion
Now his lack of experience and a lack of investment sees people questioning him, i for one thinks he needs more time...

Nikelesh Reddy

This thread seems to have gone off topic but when it comes to Ole we need to give him time. A manager needs two full seasons IMO before you can really judge him. Maguire, Wan-Bisakka and James look like good signings. Another window or two and we'll start to get there.
The manager has to earn the right to deserve a 2nd full season at a club like United.Moyes wasn’t given a 2nd season and that was the right call..,If we keep playing like this for the rest of the season and if we fail to finish 4th,Ole will be gone...

Untd55

I know he is getting praised for getting rid of players, but why? He has brought in zero replacements in midfield and attack. We are in a worse position than we were last season.

Midfield
- We have lost Herrera and Fellaini with no replacements.
- Pogba and Matic are almost certainly gone next season.
- Fred is not playing - if this goes on, he will probably also want to leave.

This could potentially leave us with a midfield of McTominay, Pereira and Lingard next summer. We may have to sign four midfielders in one window since those three are nothing but squad players, at best, along with a backup. Honestly, I don't think McTominay is any better than Fellaini - really don't see anything there with him.

Attack
- Sold Lukaku and Sanchez with no real replacements.
- Daniel James looks good/decent.
- Signed no right-winger, again. Supposedly we are waiting on Sancho, which is just stupid for the position the team is in.
- Relying on Rashford and Martial, who have only managed double figures once in the league: last season. Even that was scraping it with ten goals each.

We need to sign a proper, established right-winger. On top of that, we will probably need to sign a striker because I do not see any of our players scoring a sufficient amount of goals.

Defence
- Signed Maguire and Bissaka, which is good.
- Stupidly sold our second-best centre back in Smalling, so we now have to rely on three injury-prone defenders as backups (Jones, Bailly and Rojo)
- We will also need to play Lindelof in the first team, who is not great.

We may be in a position where we need to sign another first-team centre back and a backup to them since the ones we have are just not reliable.

Goalkeeper
- De Gea may not sign a contract
We could possibly need a new goalkeeper if Henderson does not prove to be good enough.

The failure to sign a sufficient number of players this season, whilst getting rid of other players, has put the team in a position where they need to sign a lot of players next season. Potentially: 1 Goalkeeper, 2 Centre backs (1 backup and 1 first team), four midfielders (1 DM, 1 AM, 1 CM and a backup who can hopefully play more than one position), 1 Right Winger and 1 Striker. So, we are now in a position where we could potentially need to sign 9 players next season.

Great Job!

hocane

Ole was the obvious choice..... more people wanted him than didnt. He lifted the club after the Mourinho self implosion
Now his lack of experience and a lack of investment sees people questioning him, i for one thinks he needs more time...
He really wasn't. Got relegated with Cardiff, got sacked 1/3 into the Championship season.
Finished 3rd with Molde last season.
He were never qualified for the job in the first place. And he will struggle to attract big name players, that's why he signed players from mid table clubs and from Championship.

RooneyLegend

The "British market", isn't that transfers between British clubs? theres value there, Liverpool have proven that....
As for strictly British/Homegrown talent, theres lots available that would improve United.
Im talking British talent, not the prem market. There is no value there. Its not about signing players that would improve us. I mean our first 11 has the likes of Scotty McT, Lindelof and Lingard in it, there are alot of players better than this lot. We need to find players that are capable to perform at the elite level.

RooneyLegend

Yes, that great word no value. The reason English clubs demand a higher fee is because they don't need to sell.

But I guess there is alot of value around Europe where Felix is worth £100m

The problem with buying players from the continent is they take a while to adapt to the Premier League, clubs would rather take a £80m proven English CB over a £60m CB playing in Portugal.
We need to find value, otherwise we'll never get out of the mess we find ourselves in. Im mostly talking about British tax by the way. These players cost a premium and arent even that good.

Thought that was an outlandish purchase by Atletico but that really isnt the norm. Recent history has taught us that it doesn't matter whether you sign a so called prem proven player or not, they can still fail. Lukaku, Sanchez and Shaw were all considered prem proven and all turned into expensive failures. So much for being proven.

Keefy18

Im talking British talent, not the prem market. There is no value there. Its not about signing players that would improve us. I mean our first 11 has the likes of Scotty McT, Lindelof and Lingard in it, there are alot of players better than this lot. We need to find players that are capable to perform at the elite level.
People are taking this "British" strategy too much to heart.

Ole / Mike aren't against signing other nationality players by any means, hence we were linked with Dybala and Eriksen strongly at the end of the window.

If the right player with the right attitude shows up from England I think that will be the preference but I don't think its absolutely set in stone its only British players we will now sign going forward.

reddevil80

I know he is getting praised for getting rid of players, but why? He has brought in zero replacements in midfield and attack. We are in a worse position than we were last season.

Midfield
- We have lost Herrera and Fellaini with no replacements.
- Pogba and Matic are almost certainly gone next season.
- Fred is not playing - if this goes on, he will probably also want to leave.

This could potentially leave us with a midfield of McTominay, Pereira and Lingard next summer. We may have to sign four midfielders in one window since those three are nothing but squad players, at best, along with a backup. Honestly, I don't think McTominay is any better than Fellaini - really don't see anything there with him.

Attack
- Sold Lukaku and Sanchez with no real replacements.
- Daniel James looks good/decent.
- Signed no right-winger, again. Supposedly we are waiting on Sancho, which is just stupid for the position the team is in.
- Relying on Rashford and Martial, who have only managed double figures once in the league: last season. Even that was scraping it with ten goals each.

We need to sign a proper, established right-winger. On top of that, we will probably need to sign a striker because I do not see any of our players scoring a sufficient amount of goals.

Defence
- Signed Maguire and Bissaka, which is good.
- Stupidly sold our second-best centre back in Smalling, so we now have to rely on three injury-prone defenders as backups (Jones, Bailly and Rojo)
- We will also need to play Lindelof in the first team, who is not great.

We may be in a position where we need to sign another first-team centre back and a backup to them since the ones we have are just not reliable.

Goalkeeper
- De Gea may not sign a contract
We could possibly need a new goalkeeper if Henderson does not prove to be good enough.

The failure to sign a sufficient number of players this season, whilst getting rid of other players, has put the team in a position where they need to sign a lot of players next season. Potentially: 1 Goalkeeper, 2 Centre backs (1 backup and 1 first team), four midfielders (1 DM, 1 AM, 1 CM and a backup who can hopefully play more than one position), 1 Right Winger and 1 Striker. So, we are now in a position where we could potentially need to sign 9 players next season.

Great Job!
You don't really believe it's Ole's problem do you?
He can only encourage the players that the scouts have put before him, IF they agree to want to come to Man Utd. Players like Dybala for example don't want to come to us at the moment. We are not successful enough to draw the " top names ". Add to this the fact that Ed is awful at providing worthy contracts and these are just 2 of our issues.

Ole is a scapegoat but he appears to have a vision, hence making the very good purchases we have made, that says to me he can see good players who will perform. He does need to up his game regarding coaching as there are obviously issues with our performances as he only seems to have a plan A, but he definitely needs to have a lot more shooting practices and drills as we dominate games but don't finish them off.

The goal ratio for us has been shocking for a few years now, pre-OGS too so he can't be blamed for that either. He does have to adjust his game planning, I don't disagree with that but I do disagree that he is to blame for shite transfers. Our issues run so much deeper than just him. I, for one, believe that he can change things for the better, with the right players who want to play for us and as long as he can offer a vision for future players and they fit in well, he may well succeed and prove the many doubters wrong.

RooneyLegend

Ole / Mike aren't against signing other nationality players by any means, hence we were linked with Dybala and Eriksen strongly at the end of the window.

If the right player with the right attitude shows up from England I think that will be the preference but I don't think its absolutely set in stone its only British players we will now sign going forward.
If we really wanted Dybala he'd be here. We spent 80 million quid for a defender and yet couldn't find 15 million for image rights? really?

RooneyLegend

Clearly you are jumping to conclusions without making the minimum effort to understand why Dybala wasn't signed by us or Spurs.
Spurs are skint and we know why.

Untd55

You don't really believe it's Ole's problem do you?
He can only encourage the players that the scouts have put before him, IF they agree to want to come to Man Utd. Players like Dybala for example don't want to come to us at the moment. We are not successful enough to draw the " top names ". Add to this the fact that Ed is awful at providing worthy contracts and these are just 2 of our issues.

Ole is a scapegoat but he appears to have a vision, hence making the very good purchases we have made, that says to me he can see good players who will perform. He does need to up his game regarding coaching as there are obviously issues with our performances as he only seems to have a plan A, but he definitely needs to have a lot more shooting practices and drills as we dominate games but don't finish them off.

The goal ratio for us has been shocking for a few years now, pre-OGS too so he can't be blamed for that either. He does have to adjust his game planning, I don't disagree with that but I do disagree that he is to blame for shite transfers. Our issues run so much deeper than just him. I, for one, believe that he can change things for the better, with the right players who want to play for us and as long as he can offer a vision for future players and they fit in well, he may well succeed and prove the many doubters wrong.
I understand that it is difficult to blame any manager for transfers in, due to it being mostly up to the board (wages and transfer fees), however, I do think the authorisation of sales from the manager can be blamed on the manager. Solskjaer could have decided against some of the sales of players when he realised we would not get any replacements, which would not have left us in the current position where we barely have a team.

On top of that, we are likely to lose more players (Matic, Pogba, De Gea etc.). So, it seems a stupid decision to sell so many players when we already had so many issues. We already had no right-winger or real attacking midfielder and needed to compensate for the likelihood that we were going to lose more players. Instead of recognising this, Solskjaer has decided to create further areas to address with sales of players, which leaves the team in a terrible position next summer. We are relying on the hope that the youth players become good, and that they actually play.

Regarding his tactics etc., I can see that he wants to press, but I honestly do not see any improvement in the team up to this point. We still create barely anything and we are still conceding stupid goals. Also, his in-game management is frustrating, particularly in terms of substitutions. I just don't see anything that makes me think he is going to be a success. I think he has also made it more difficult for himself by skinning the team of any depth.

starman

Well, you yourself did write "British market".

Anyway, I think people get hung up on this whole British thing, its more to do with buying players that will be accustomised to the league, British or non, which should stop ending up with the likes of Rojo's or Bailly's. Buying the best young players and best players in the league was a Fergie policy, i am not sure why people are so against it.

So you don't think AWB, Maguire & James are capable enough? Who were the foreign equivalents we should have bought that will take us to the elite level?

Last edited:

Fer

I support Ole, but then, I read that he has only 3 wins since he signed as our manager. Is that true?

romufc

We need to find value, otherwise we'll never get out of the mess we find ourselves in. Im mostly talking about British tax by the way. These players cost a premium and arent even that good.

Thought that was an outlandish purchase by Atletico but that really isnt the norm. Recent history has taught us that it doesn't matter whether you sign a so called prem proven player or not, they can still fail. Lukaku, Sanchez and Shaw were all considered prem proven and all turned into expensive failures. So much for being proven.
We do need to find good deals, this is where having someone for the role will help us. At the moment there is a British premium and then there is Manutd premium because of Ed Woodward.

Alexis and Lukaku are not British players, but the problem is when we do find a bit of value and sign £15m James, alot of fans are like what a championship player. But I would rather sign him than Sanchez, Dybala, Lukaku, etc because he wants to play for the club.

Agreed we cannot sign 4 of them in one window because we need quality but I am guessing every fan knows what we lack so the club should?

We should be scouting CM, RW, DM, LB from now until April and then start talking to agents and get an early deal.

Raw

I support Ole, but then, I read that he has only 3 wins since he signed as our manager. Is that true?
His wins since officially becoming manager:
Watford A 2-1
West Ham H 2-1
Chelsea H 4-0

It's unfair to ignore the wins he had as a caretaker though.

Mainoldo

We do need to find good deals, this is where having someone for the role will help us. At the moment there is a British premium and then there is Manutd premium because of Ed Woodward.

Alexis and Lukaku are not British players, but the problem is when we do find a bit of value and sign £15m James, alot of fans are like what a championship player. But I would rather sign him than Sanchez, Dybala, Lukaku, etc because he wants to play for the club.

Agreed we cannot sign 4 of them in one window because we need quality but I am guessing every fan knows what we lack so the club should?

We should be scouting CM, RW, DM, LB from now until April and then start talking to agents and get an early deal.
This statement is so boring!! Name me a championship player that doesn’t want to come to United. Also if we sign a player more than likely they want to be here otherwise they would simply not come.

It’s for us to decide if they want to much money to play for us, not them.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
If we really wanted Dybala he'd be here. We spent 80 million quid for a defender and yet couldn't find 15 million for image rights? really?
The looming court case is what I think put most parties off. You could sort out the imagoe rights problem with his current management company only to have to pay the same again, if not more if his old management company win a case against Dybala.

Spurs are skint and we know why.
I think skint is a little is a bit of an exaggeration, we broke our transfer record twice this window and were in for Dybala and had agreed terms with Fernandez.

Cait Sith

After 70 pages I will not add anything new probably but why does this club have to go from one extreme to another? From former great but now finished managers (LVG, Mourinho) to a complete rookie who is only experienced at Cardiff/Molde level. Is there no inbetween? Someone like Ten Hag, despite also being a rookie manager, would be promising at least given the style of play his team with little ressouces displayed at the highest level. With Ole what is the promise? "He played for United so let's pray and hope it turns out good if we wait long enough"?

Don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.