Television Archer

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
"you fat bitch" at the plane stalling for the second time :lol:

I feel like it's become incredibly self indulgent from Adam Reed but there's still some great stuff in there.

Dante

Average bang
I love Archer. It's probably my favorite show of all time. But it stopped being a full-on comedy a while ago.

Reed fancies himself serious storyteller these days, and that's to the detriment of the humor. I still like it, but it's not what it used to be.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The cancer episodes :lol:

I think recent events have made things a bit awkward, but otherwise it's all good IMO
When the doctor calls him like 4 times to change his mind about whether or not he has cancer whilst trying to hit on his mum at the same time :lol:

Dante

Average bang
The last episode was the most un-Archer-y thing that Reed has ever written.

I was re-watching old series recently and the difference is night and day.

Archer used to be a dick who used everybody around him in an almost sociopathic way. It was hilarious. Now he's become this overly sensitive, put-upon, exasperated loser who's constantly down on his luck. It's massive change to his character and it's hurt the show no end.

I can't help but feel that this come from a directive from the executives and producers to make Archer more 'likeable'. We may never get our old Archer back again. He's gone the way of Homer Simpson.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I may be in the minority here but I feel the series has pretty much turned into crap by now. Previous season and the current one aren't even close to what the show was in the beginning. What happened to the brilliant dialogue? Have they changed the writers? I can re-watch the old episodes on occasion and still enjoy it, but the new stuff is just plain boring and not even remotely funny.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It stopped being essential viewing around the Vice season. It’s still occasionally funny, but it’s just a stream of self referential in jokes now, like it’s written by an algorithm fed on previous Archer episodes. Anyone joining the series now would have feck all idea what was happening, or why any of it was supposed to be funny.

Sylar

I may be in the minority here but I feel the series has pretty much turned into crap by now. Previous season and the current one aren't even close to what the show was in the beginning. What happened to the brilliant dialogue? Have they changed the writers? I can re-watch the old episodes on occasion and still enjoy it, but the new stuff is just plain boring and not even remotely funny.
Yeah, the dialogue between the characters was the best thing about the show. It still has some funny stuff at times but it doesnt make me laugh as much as it used to.

Sylar

Quite enjoyed the finale of season. Interesting they are changing the concept altogether net season again (space-man)
I liked the whole concept of a character being changed though for a dream sequence.
Shut up Bird...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I've just discovered this show and am now wondering where it has been all my life. Holy shit it's amazing.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've just discovered this show and am now wondering where it has been all my life. Holy shit it's amazing.
When I saw this bumped I instinctively got excited that a new season might be out. Then I remembered I didn't finish the last one because it was weird as shit.

First 4 seasons are absolutely awesome, season 5 takes a change in direction and at first seems weird but is actually really good. Season 6 is good with a few great episodes, 7 is a bit odd and 8 saw Adam Reed go full self indulgent mode and disappeared completely up his own ass.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
When I saw this bumped I instinctively got excited that a new season might be out. Then I remembered I didn't finish the last one because it was weird as shit.

First 4 seasons are absolutely awesome, season 5 takes a change in direction and at first seems weird but is actually really good. Season 6 is good with a few great episodes, 7 is a bit odd and 8 saw Adam Reed go full self indulgent mode and disappeared completely up his own ass.
Damn... I'm watching season 3 at the moment

Sylar

I mean... its ok. But it all being in his head kinda takes away something from this show.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
New season has just come on Netflix and.... it’s completely gone. I gave up after 4 eps.

It hadn’t really been good for a long time, but yeah, completely gone.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
New season has just come on Netflix and.... it’s completely gone. I gave up after 4 eps.

It hadn’t really been good for a long time, but yeah, completely gone.
That was me after 3 or 4 episodes of (I think) season 9. The one where Krieger is a bird or something?

Majorly self indulgent crap.

Still love re-watching the older ones though, it was absolutely brilliant.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I didn't realise it was still going and tried it but it's long dead now.

Sylar

So next season is final season right? Archer is out of coma / dreams. Although the ending of the last episode was a wtf moment with what mallory said to sterling.

NinjaFletch

So next season is final season right? Archer is out of coma / dreams. Although the ending of the last episode was a wtf moment with what mallory said to sterling.
Oh wait, I thought this season was the last one. I was only sticking with it to finish it off. Not sure I can put up with another season.

Sylar

Returns sept 16 - im sure its final season and hes out of the coma.
Hopefully a great season to end it.

Dante

Average bang
Nobody got my 'balls' joke in the Benoît Badiashile thread.

Glad this is coming back, though.

Minkaro

Been watching this lately. Didn’t like the first episode, but decided to stick with it, and was loving it. Then they did the Dreamland season, which I though only needed to be a few episodes really. I like the island series more, but I still want the old dynamic back, and the cast to be themselves again.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't even remember when I gave up. It became incredibly formulaic and repetitive, I don't know if they managed to freshen things up? Used to absolutely love this, had many laughs with the 1st seasons but it felt really stale after a while.

Dante

Average bang
Back to basics. A good couple of episodes.

Reed obviously got sick of the original Archer and started playing around with new genres to try and keep things fresh. But I don't think anybody thought it worked.

This season, it looks like he's returned to the original genre but is playing around with new team dynamics to make things interesting. Archer's gone from the best secret agent in the world to the worst secret agent in his agency. I liked it as an idea.

The pacing also seems to have improved because the storylines are finally taking precedence over the setting once again. Hopefully it continues.

Last edited: