Archie Battersbee: RIP

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
His tiktok was called "painhub" with a bunch of numbers at the end, constant videos referencing depression. It's all so sad. No doubt in my mind it was suicide (no phone filming, method used) and after their first 30 media appearances they've dropped the mentions of a tiktok challenge to go down this different avenue of they know best and how he would have wanted them to fight for him despite what happened saying otherwise.

RIP Archie. Religious groups are leaping on this like vultures for their own means.
I said earlier, similar to Terri Schiavo (but far further gone than Schiavo), especially with the religious aspect…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

Reiver

Followed this story with sadness. As a father, I can tell you I would have fought tooth and nail against turning life support off, in the hope of a new medical breakthrough or some kind of miracle

hobbers

Followed this story with sadness. As a father, I can tell you I would have fought tooth and nail against turning life support off, in the hope of a new medical breakthrough or some kind of miracle
You wouldn't if it had been reported honestly.

There's no medical breakthrough in the pipeline that recovers dead brain tissue.

Tiber

Absolutely. I totally understand why the family have explored every possible option.

Though some of the talk on the last page is grim. I had wondered about the very vague talk of 'might have been attempting an online challenge' which got dropped into every news story. But sounds like it may have been worse than that

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's an impossibly tough position for a parent to be in. That said, there isn't any medical breakthrough or miracle that could bring that boy back. His body was (kept) alive, but he was well and truly dead.

Reiver

You wouldn't if it had been reported honestly.

There's no medical breakthrough in the pipeline that recovers dead brain tissue.
Maybe not. But as I said, if it was my boy lying there, I would never give up. Which is probably why it's a good thing that others would make the decision.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You’d think any family going through this would want an enquiry into how social media drove a preteen to be hanging from the top step of a bannister. Not the court system.
Nothing to do with social media by the sound of it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Poor Archie was essentially dead months ago, if you read the history of the progression of the brain scans (the Court documents are available online). I'm sure any parent in this situation would want everything to be attempted, but having now read a lot about this case online, things are not all as they might seem.
Were they presumably just a constant flatline in terms of activity?
His tiktok was called "painhub" with a bunch of numbers at the end, constant videos referencing depression. It's all so sad. No doubt in my mind it was suicide (no phone filming, method used) and after their first 30 media appearances they've dropped the mentions of a tiktok challenge to go down this different avenue of they know best and how he would have wanted them to fight for him despite what happened saying otherwise.

RIP Archie. Religious groups are leaping on this like vultures for their own means.
It does seem extremely dubious that there has been zero follow up coverage on the tiktok 'craze'. You'd expect a few outrage pieces on social media from the DM or whoever.

hobbers

Nothing to do with social media by the sound of it.
Essentially documented his descent into depression on tiktok, and god knows what feeds he followed, but sure, nothing to do with it.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Is there no age limit on Tiktok?

What the hell is a 12 year old doing on video based social media?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Loads of 12 year olds are on TikTok. That’s the age a lot of kids get phones and most of them will use TikTok. Wait until your kid gets that age. You’ll be shocked. The lack of control most parents have over their kids phone habits will melt your brain.

Eyepopper

Loads of 12 year olds are on TikTok. That’s the age a lot of kids get phones and most of them will use TikTok. Wait until your kid gets that age. You’ll be shocked. The lack of control most parents have over their kids phone habits will melt your brain.
It terrifies me mate.

Mine are only 6 and 4, but I know its only a matter of time.

They'll be monitored like they're living in 1984.

I've never gotten Instagram, & the concept of Tiktok is just beyond me, and that's as an adult. I can only imagine the impact that shit would have had on my thinking as a kid/teenager, and it would've been nothing positive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It terrifies me mate.

I've never gotten Instagram, & the concept of Tiktok is just beyond me, and that's as an adult. I can only imagine the impact that shit would have had on my thinking as a kid/teenager, and it would've been nothing positive.
It’s easy enough to control your own. The apple iOS means you can lock down an iPhone thoroughly before giving it to your kid. I control the apps allowed, web pages they can visit, total time on the phone, prohibited hours of use etc etc

Then they tell you they were on a sleepover and all the other girls there were on TikTok on their phones all night long. And you hear message notifications pinging on your kid’s phone (which you don’t allow them take in their room) until 1am on a school night. And you fecking despair.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It terrifies me mate.

All fair, but keep in mind that this probably had nothing at all to do with Tiktok or social media. There are some Satanic Panic-esque reactions going on to "tiktok challenges" and social media in general that we need to beware of, despite all its real dangers.

Eyepopper

It’s easy enough to control your own. The apple iOS means you can lock down an iPhone thoroughly before giving it to your kid. I control the apps allowed, web pages they can visit, total time on the phone, prohibited hours of use etc etc

Then they tell you they were on a sleepover and all the other girls there were on TikTok on their phones all night long. And you hear message notifications pinging on your kid’s phone (which you don’t allow them take in their room) until 1am on a school night. And you fecking despair.
I've just put them both in the attic.

I'll let them out when they're 21.

paulscholes18

Really? my Dad told me he would have given me a couple of days before switching it off.

Eyepopper

All fair, but keep in mind that this probably had nothing at all to do with Tiktok or social media. There are some Satanic Panic-esque reactions going on to "tiktok challenges" and social media in general that we need to beware of, despite all its real dangers.
Yeah, I've deliberately stayed away from the details of this case because I don't want to get sucked into my own judgements on the parenting involved.

I'm probably skirting that by even asking about a 12 year old being on Tiktok, particularly if their account shows a documented descent into depression, so it's probably best that I bow out for the sake of my own mental health.

hobbers

Yeah, I've deliberately stayed away from the details of this case because I don't want to get sucked into my own judgements on the parenting involved.

I'm probably skirting that by even asking about a 12 year old being on Tiktok, particularly if their account shows a documented descent into depression, so it's probably best that I bow out for the sake of my own mental health.
From what I've read he had an account from when he was only 10. So 2 years on Tiktok, and a lot of that time during lockdowns.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

13 is the minimum age for social media sites in their ToS but many kids get on them before they hit double digits and those who don't initially, feel pressure to because their friends are.

You can control the apps used on their phones like Pogue does and limit the times they can use them but for every parent who does this, there's probably five or more who don't and leave their kids with unfettered access to all sorts of stuff unsupervised, either because the parents aren't tech savvy, think their children are 'mature for their age' so are fine or just don't care.

Doesn't matter how mature they are. Their minds are still forming and a hell of a lot of stuff on video based social media isn't good for teens to experience, never mind pre-teens.

With Archie, I'm sure his parents knew his account as his family are big users of TikTok too and as well as posting memes and the references to depression on there, Archie posted his personal progress with regards to his training for his first MMA fight which was scheduled to be a week after his body was found.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
13 is the minimum age for social media sites in their ToS but many kids get on them before they hit double digits and those who don't initially, feel pressure to because their friends are.

You can control the apps used on their phones like Pogue does and limit the times they can use them but for every parent who does this, there's probably five or more who don't and leave their kids with unfettered access to all sorts of stuff unsupervised, either because the parents aren't tech savvy, think their children are 'mature for their age' so are fine or just don't care.

Doesn't matter how mature they are. Their minds are still forming and a hell of a lot of stuff on video based social media isn't good for teens to experience, never mind pre-teens.

With Archie, I'm sure his parents knew his account as his family are big users of TikTok too and as well as posting memes and the references to depression on there, Archie posted his personal progress with regards to his training for his first MMA fight which was scheduled to be a week after his body was found.
So being hit / choked, TikTok and depression… not a great mix for any young person is it?

Maybe if it wasn’t a suicide it was some kind of MMA, self choke out challenge, or badly thought out ‘can I get out of this choke’ attempt?

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don’t think MMA is something under 16s should be partaking in at all due to blood chokes etc, and the responsibility that should come with such practices.

RIP mate.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So being hit / choked, TikTok and depression… not a great mix for any young person is it?

Maybe if it wasn’t a suicide it was some kind of MMA, self choke out challenge, or badly thought out ‘can I get out of this choke’ attempt?

Probably not a popular opinion, but I don’t think MMA is something under 16s should be partaking in at all due to blood chokes etc, and the responsibility that should come with such practices.

RIP mate.
That’s the first thing I thought, why is a 12 y/o participating in MMA? Absolutely baffling.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Were they presumably just a constant flatline in terms of activity?
He had no blood supply to his brain, so it died, atrophied and necrotised. Lots of other unpleasant details too, but in short this wasn't a case of a coma or a vegetative state. The ventilator was oxygenating a dead body, essentially.

There was zero chance of him ever waking up.

Withnail

It was the same with my exes son when he as 10/11. We'd have his phone set up with the parent and would take it off him at bed-time but yeah the notifications would be still be coming in around that time. I couldn't believe it. The other parents just didn't seem to care about it. The kid's in his class preferred method of communication was also a Snapchat group so there was no record of anything said or what images/vids circulated. I felt like I was in the feckin twilight zone. Why does everyone else think this is ok?

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Boy, 14, found dead in bedroom by mum after ‘taking part in viral Blackout Challenge'

The devastated mum of a teenage boy found dead in his bedroom said he was attempting the same deadly viral Blackout Challenge thought to have killed Archie Battersbee.

Lauryn Keating, 30, found Leon Brown lifeless last Thursday at their home in Cumbernauld, Scotland, and has spoken out to warn other families about the online game.

Archie, 12, had his life support switched off after he suffered a catastrophic brain injury believed to be as a result of the game.

The ‘Blackout Challenge’ urges participants to restrict their breathing until they pass out, which can cause levels of oxygen in the brain to plummet and spark seizures, or even lead to serious injury or death.

Boy, 14, found dead in bedroom by mum after ‘taking part in viral Blackout Challenge' (msn.com)

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Boy, 14, found dead in bedroom by mum after ‘taking part in viral Blackout Challenge'

The devastated mum of a teenage boy found dead in his bedroom said he was attempting the same deadly viral Blackout Challenge thought to have killed Archie Battersbee.

Lauryn Keating, 30, found Leon Brown lifeless last Thursday at their home in Cumbernauld, Scotland, and has spoken out to warn other families about the online game.

Archie, 12, had his life support switched off after he suffered a catastrophic brain injury believed to be as a result of the game.

The ‘Blackout Challenge’ urges participants to restrict their breathing until they pass out, which can cause levels of oxygen in the brain to plummet and spark seizures, or even lead to serious injury or death.

Boy, 14, found dead in bedroom by mum after ‘taking part in viral Blackout Challenge' (msn.com)
Thats sad. Tik Tok should be sued by these parents, hit them with a lawsuit and they may prevent stupid videos like this one encouraging people to strangle themseves.

The Corinthian

Thats sad. Tik Tok should be sued by these parents, hit them with a lawsuit and they may prevent stupid videos like this one encouraging people to strangle themseves.
Yea, one of the reasons I posted it was to dispel the myth (if there was one) that Archie tried killing himself. I think the reality is they had unfettered use of social media at too young an age. The reality is that this 'challenge' has resulted in two needless deaths.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yea, one of the reasons I posted it was to dispel the myth (if there was one) that Archie tried killing himself. I think the reality is they had unfettered use of social media at too young an age. The reality is that this 'challenge' has resulted in two needless deaths.
The rest of the thread suggests that there's no evidence at all that Archie did any challenge.

hobbers

The blackout challenge is the myth.

His mum said he did.
Because it's easier to accept than suicide. And because all the Christian legal aid (probably) depended on it not being suicide.

The Corinthian

Because it's easier to accept than suicide. And because all the Christian legal aid (probably) depended on it not being suicide.
What’s the evidence of suicide?

hobbers

What’s the evidence of suicide?
Where his body was found and the fact he wasn't filming it.

The blackout challenge was not some viral phenomenon sweeping across the world like the tabloid headlines would have you believe. Linking it to Archie's case has changed it from being almost non-existent to actually being in the public conscience.

Since this new tragedy seems like a genuine attempt at it, someone filming himself passing out on facetime with his friends, then his death is the media's fault for putting it out there into the ether.

The Corinthian

Where his body was found and the fact he wasn't filming it.

The blackout challenge was not some viral phenomenon sweeping across the world like the tabloid headlines would have you believe. Linking it to Archie's case has changed it from being almost non-existent to actually being in the public conscience.

Since this new tragedy seems like a genuine attempt at it, someone filming himself passing out on facetime with his friends, then his death is the media's fault for putting it out there into the ether.
You don’t need to have a camera nearby to die from something you see online.

But in any case, you’d want something like this to be in the public domain, the more that people know about the dangers of social media the better.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

A myth that has just claimed another life, 14 yr old died trying the blackout challenge.

hobbers

the more that people know about the dangers of social media the better.
Yeah definitely. Whether it's an actual suicide or a death from a stupid challenge, social media is always the single biggest driver in adolescent death.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
His mum said he did.
But then they dropped it and never mentioned it again.

If there's evidence then I think we all need to see it.

No doubt there are "challenges" or other seeming "games" that tell you to do things that could result in your death, or even tell you to kill yourself. Kids do need protection. Thought it seems to be a very rare thing.