Music Arctic Monkeys

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
look set to release a new album soon. The first single is called Crying Lightning

they seem to have evolved a bit don't they. This third album is a turning point for them.

Biscuit1871

Don't like the new single, but was never their biggest fan. Don't mind them and will occasioanally listen to them. They are at Reading this year, but i will be seeing either Rise Against or Bring Me The Horizon instead.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
First album was one of the best debut albums of recent times. They got over the awkward second album without getting too much flak, though I don't think they'll ever rise as high again as after their first.

Masterplan

AKA united07
love arctic monkeys, first album was great, i really enjoyed the second album, and the 3rd albums is sounding good judging from live performances. I quite like the new single, catchy chorus. But the album doesnt come out for a couple of months

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really like the Arctic Monkeys. Brilliant first album, really like the second too. The new song is also growing on me. Good stuff.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
LOVE them but this is a bit odd... sounds VERY different then what we're used to.

Hopefully this is a good direction, it's very pivitol

Biscuit1871

What do you mean 'or' ?? There is no decision to be made here
:lol: Well it will be a tough decision for me, after rather enjoying BMTH latest album.:o They are a bit of a guilty pleasure.

On further inspection of the line up, its looking like the blackout clash with Rise Against, so crisis averted.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Gave 'Favorite Worst Nightmare" the spin this morning and it's shocking how much of their stuff I know by heart :lol:

505 was such a brilliant song, I guess there are some glimmers of this new stuff on that record so we'll see.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Searl I've noticed you like quite a lot of British stuff despite being Canadian (I think your canadian from memory), how comes? I've never known American's/Canadian's to like so much british stuff like football, arctic monkeys, paul mccartney, etc...

Brophs

The One and Only
I think my favourite thing about them is them seem to have just decided to become rock stars. Very few of them could play instruments, and they all argued over who would play what, and got them for Christmas. A year or two later and they're selling a squillion records.

That's the way to do it, don't bother faffing around getting good-just start off good and get better.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I think my favourite thing about them is them seem to have just decided to become rock stars. Very few of them could play instruments, and they all argued over who would play what, and got them for Christmas. A year or two later and they're selling a squillion records.

That's the way to do it, don't bother faffing around getting good-just start off good and get better.

Aye, that's where all the Richard Hawley rumours came from, the lyrics are just so clever too... the little nods and references both lyrically and musically are a nod towards a great brain or an old head - that'swhat got the music press onside, ...that and the obvious energy.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Searl I've noticed you like quite a lot of British stuff despite being Canadian (I think your canadian from memory), how comes? I've never known American's/Canadian's to like so much british stuff like football, arctic monkeys, paul mccartney, etc...
I'm English, my grandfather is and all that side of the family, i'm heavily influenced by British culture, my favorite athletes are Brits but not because they're Brits, just inherited through my Grandfather.

Brophs

The One and Only
Aye, that's where all the Richard Hawley rumours came from, the lyrics are just so clever too... the little nods and references both lyrically and musically are a nod towards a great brain or an old head - that'swhat got the music press onside, ...that and the obvious energy.
Aye, I've always though 'Mardy Bum' was an absolute spot on song about relationships, for example.

I'd vaguely heard those Hawley rumours before, what was the story there?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Aye, I've always though 'Mardy Bum' was an absolute spot on song about relationships, for example.

I'd vaguely heard those Hawley rumours before, what was the story there?
the duran duran 'rio' references was the one I noticed first, odd for a 17 year old ...

... that he 'helped' them with bits and pieces, music and lyrically... in a svengali type way ... the lush strings are a very Richard Hawley sound, he's a big Scott Walker too. As am I, and is my old man, I was nearly called Scott after him, close or what? Imagine growing up in Tallaght called Scott?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Watching them on Wossy at the moment. Two terribly dull tracks.

nemanja nemagic

Watching them on Wossy at the moment. Two terribly dull tracks.
Cornerstone is frankly brilliant. Best track off the new album for me. What was the other song they played?

This album will weed out the casual fans who liked the cheap stripped down melodies prevalent in the first two albums, from those who have a genuine interest in their music.

Member 39557

I saw them at Wemberleee last night and they were very good. They played a lot of the new album which meant they left out a couple of my favourites. For example they only played a snippet of Mardy Bum in the middle of another song.

Eagles Of Death Metal opened for them too which was quality!

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise

gaz1185

I saw them at Wemberleee last night and they were very good. They played a lot of the new album which meant they left out a couple of my favourites. For example they only played a snippet of Mardy Bum in the middle of another song.

Going watching these at the MEN on Saturday! Seen them at Leeds in August too, the song list sounds like Leeds again playing most of there newer stuff... but annoying, but thats what they're on tour to promote. Although it did get quite a backlash at Leeds, especiailly with them not playing Mardy Bum, people didn't live that down all weekend!! :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing them again, but was slightly persuaded to get the tickets because Eagles of Death Metal are supporting, great band, looking forward to seeing them fully, they was on too early at Leeds but still entertaining enough then!!

Member 39557

Going watching these at the MEN on Saturday! Seen them at Leeds in August too, the song list sounds like Leeds again playing most of there newer stuff... but annoying, but thats what they're on tour to promote. Although it did get quite a backlash at Leeds, especiailly with them not playing Mardy Bum, people didn't live that down all weekend!! :lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing them again, but was slightly persuaded to get the tickets because Eagles of Death Metal are supporting, great band, looking forward to seeing them fully, they was on too early at Leeds but still entertaining enough then!!
They didn't play it at Leeds either! I'm surprised, but I suppose they're trying to move on a bit from their earlier stuff.

Eagles were very good but the Arena was only half full when they played and only a third of the crowd seemed actively into it which was a shame. Hopefully there will be a few more Eagles fans at your gig.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My mate saw them the other day, the bastard. I think Humbug is great. It's still not my favourite of the three but that still leaves it on a level above most other albums nowadays

gaz1185

They didn't play it at Leeds either! I'm surprised, but I suppose they're trying to move on a bit from their earlier stuff.

Eagles were very good but the Arena was only half full when they played and only a third of the crowd seemed actively into it which was a shame. Hopefully there will be a few more Eagles fans at your gig.
At Leeds they mixed it up a little, yet didn't play a few of the older ones! But yeah bands always try to move on and promote there newer stuff!

Eagles were again good at Leeds, yet like you say, not many people were that into them. Not really hit it off over here yet I don't think, maybe they will get bigger! Hopefully theres more on Saturday, but i'll be there watching :D

DouLou

Been caught pooping

Saw them to but missed the support! Was absolutely gutted when I heard it was Eagles of Death Metal.

Gig was good but like you said, most of the favourites left out. Plus I think the newer stuff has less energy to it, the little Mardy Brum remix was quality though!

Masterplan

AKA united07
Yeah i saw them yesterday aswell at wembley. Hadn't heard the support act before but i thought they were pretty good. Dont really mind arctic monkeys missing out some of the old songs like 'fake tales', but would have liked to see 'from the ritz to the rubble'. But overall i thought it was really good, favourite song from them at the moment is probably either 'dance little liar' or 'pretty visitors'

Red_Jamie

After probably 50 listens now i think i'm in a fair position to have decided that their new album is dreadful.

For me there's only two or three (possibly at a push) good songs on the album (Crying Lightening, Cornerstone) the rest is either shocking (that song that goes d.a.n.g.e.r.o.u.s is cringe-worthy in my opinion for instance) or very average.

They've tried to take their music in a new direction and fair play to them for giving it a go but it doesn't suit them at all. In the process they've managed (especially Turner) to go from a very likeable Northern indie band to bland, boring and frankly uncool Jim Morrision wannabes (only with half of the musical ability of the doors).

Turners lyrics on the album are as witty and funny as ever but for me there's not much point if the music and melody's themselves are poor.

Almost every live performance of songs from the new album i've seen have been poor as well. The fact that, frankly, Jamie Cook can't really play guitar has been more than evident on several TV performances. Wossy last week, for example, was an abysmal performance from the band in general. They sat in the green room looking suicidal only to come out and give a performance that made everyone else feel the same way.

I really think they should have tried to stick a little bit more to what they know. Yes, they have to try new things, but they've undoubtedly taken it much too far and they've lost pretty much everything that made them great in the first place. Sort it out lads.

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
After probably 50 listens now i think i'm in a fair position to have decided that their new album is dreadful.

For me there's only two or three (possibly at a push) good songs on the album (Crying Lightening, Cornerstone) the rest is either shocking (that song that goes d.a.n.g.e.r.o.u.s is cringe-worthy in my opinion for instance) or very average.

They've tried to take their music in a new direction and fair play to them for giving it a go but it doesn't suit them at all. In the process they've managed (especially Turner) to go from a very likeable Northern indie band to bland, boring and frankly uncool Jim Morrision wannabes (only with half of the musical ability of the doors).

Turners lyrics on the album are as witty and funny as ever but for me there's not much point if the music and melody's themselves are poor.

Almost every live performance of songs from the new album i've seen have been poor as well. The fact that, frankly, Jamie Cook can't really play guitar has been more than evident on several TV performances. Wossy last week, for example, was an abysmal performance from the band in general. They sat in the green room looking suicidal only to come out and give a performance that made everyone else feel the same way.

I really think they should have tried to stick a little bit more to what they know. Yes, they have to try new things, but they've undoubtedly taken it much too far and they've lost pretty much everything that made them great in the first place. Sort it out lads.

agreed!!

there was a thread about their new album and i think i was the only person who said i didnt like it, i think i described it as "forgettable" and i stand by that. It´s not a patch on their first two albums and was only on my ipod for about two weeks and then deleted.

Member 39557

I agree about that Dangerous song! I think you're being pretty harsh but if that's your opinion then so be it. I saw them live at the Astoria when they were about to release their second album and I enjoyed that performance more than the Wembley one. Having said that, the more intimate gigs always seem to have more energy and they played a lot of their first album which is my personal favourite. As for abysmal performances, I can only comment on what I've seen and last nights performance was far from abysmal.

I like their new album (apart from that dangerous song) but I can see why their change of direction would disappoint some people.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
I didn't like the album much either tbh

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Saw them at the MEN last night. Was a bit of a rush to get there from OT so missed Eagles of Death Metal...
Cracking gig, played all my favourites bar a couple on the first album, finishing with my personal fav in 505. Quite a short set but brilliant nonetheless

Biscuit1871

I think the latest album is poor, especially in comparison to the previous ones.

Masterplan

AKA united07
they've just put a video on their website with a new song, not too sure on it really, weak lyrics which is normally arctic monkeys strong point

also looks like the album will be out 2/7/11 going on the document at 2:40