Music Arctic Monkeys

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
They’re a bit gash these days. Some of AM was decent but the signs were there even then.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Dunno about the song yet. It feels too much like it's looking back instead of moving forward. Like Alex Turner wants to be David Bowie. Pan America. Panorama. Words to that effect.

TBHC had good blend of past and modern sensibilities. Let's see what the rest of the album has in store.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
not a fan of their recent album and the latest album appears to be similar. But got tickets anyway for them next year in Ireland. Saw them a few years ago and was a little disappointed but hoping they will be better outdoor

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
TBHAC was great and the album I go back to the most these days but even still, I wouldn't be overly keen to see them live again. Even back around AM they were hardly the most dynamic live act and the music they've released since then isn't exactly geared for that environment.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Felt the first single was very forgettable but the second is better.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
not a fan of their recent album and the latest album appears to be similar. But got tickets anyway for them next year in Ireland. Saw them a few years ago and was a little disappointed but hoping they will be better outdoor
I doubt think I would enjoy it as much of they released songs like the sound before TBHC. It's great and I love that it's there but this new sound is more my style.

Stevondo8

Was tempted to try and get tickets for the tour, think I’m 10 years too late really. Not interested in their more recent stuff.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Been a fan since day one but in all honesty the last two singles have been patience testing wank.

Only liked one track off the last album so I'm not surprised, just disappointed I suppose. Glad people are getting it though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I doubt think I would enjoy it as much of they released songs like the sound before TBHC. It's great and I love that it's there but this new sound is more my style.
This, or at least this sound is more what I want from this particular band now.

A lot of their early stuff sounds like music made by people in their teens and early twenties, so trying to ape that again in their mid-to-late thirties would be a bit lame. And while I like AM, there's only be so much mileage in what I've previously seen described uncharitably as "GQ rock".

Whereas Alex Turner crooning over odd, 70's-Bowie influenced piano-written songs that would sound more at home in smaller venues is actually creatively interesting.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm not listening to anything else and waiting for the full album now since it's only out Friday. Must say my expectations aren't that high but we'll see.

Nickosaur

Holy shitballs this is out tomorrow. Thought it was November for some reason but seen reviews start to creep in for it - currently 84 on metacritic

Edit- still early and I know you always take metacritic with a pinch of salt, but 84 would make it their most critically acclaimed album. Their debut and Favourite Worst Nightmare got 82. But again, it's relatively meaningless as Tranquility Base and Humbug are probably my favourites and they received the lowest on metacritic with scores in the mid 70s.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Holy shitballs this is out tomorrow. Thought it was November for some reason but seen reviews start to creep in for it - currently 84 on metacritic

Edit- still early and I know you always take metacritic with a pinch of salt, but 84 would make it their most critically acclaimed album. Their debut and Favourite Worst Nightmare got 82. But again, it's relatively meaningless as Tranquility Base and Humbug are probably my favourites and they received the lowest on metacritic with scores in the mid 70s.
Album has leaked mate. But I'm gonna wait until tomorrow. I've set aside 2 hours to listen to it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I've pre-ordered the vinyle, along with Taylor Swift. Not back in Madrid until Monday, looking forward to the evening listening to both of them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Is it just or 75 percent of their catalog sounds the same?

I don't mean that in a negative way just something I've picked up whenever one of their songs comes on.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I don't mean that in a negative way just something I've picked up whenever one of their songs comes on.
If you're talking entire catalogue... Then it's just you.

Favourite Worst Nightmare couldn't be more different to Tranquility Base :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

Ah no, they are a proper band. It was obvious from the very beginning. They have a definite sound, and they like certain production noises, but they can write songs.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If you're talking entire catalogue... Then it's just you.

Favourite Worst Nightmare couldn't be more different to Tranquility Base :lol:
Yeah maybe it's just me or the assorted nature of their songs that get radio play , whenever I hear them it has this rather unnerving effect on me which makes me question my sanity and whether I heard that specific song before or not.

It's probably either personal bias or im just going mad.
Ah no, they are a proper band. It was obvious from the very beginning. They have a definite sound, and they like certain production noises, but they can write songs.
Oh I certainly don't disagree with that, they certainly are capable of writing decent riffs with mildly clever lyrics, but as I've written before, whenever one of their songs comes up it makes feel im losing my grip on reality, maybe I've been psy oped by fecking artic monkeys :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah maybe it's just me or the assorted nature of their songs that get radio play , whenever I hear them it has this rather unnerving effect on me which makes me question my sanity and whether I heard that specific song before or not.

It's probably either personal bias or im just going mad.

Oh I certainly don't disagree with that, they certainly are capable of writing decent riffs with mildly clever lyrics, but as I've written before, whenever one of their songs comes up it makes feel im losing my grip on reality, maybe I've been psy oped by fecking artic monkeys :lol:

Might be some manchurian candidate shit going on there alright.

mitChley

Going to stick on for the drive into the office tomorrow, the only brightside of being in the office on a Friday for the first time in 10months. Got big hopes, love the tracks they've released so far and got tickets for when they play at Hillsborough Park. Alex used to live one door up from me back around 2007, would often see him and Alexa Chung, good old Hunters Bar.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Might be some manchurian candidate shit going on there alright.
Yeah I'm losing it and to think arctic fecking monkeys are causing it :nervous:

Anyway I guess I just gotta wait for the kill switch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Had one full listen. Right up my fecking street. Sculptures, Jet Skis and Perfect Sense are so far the three tracks that stood out to me (apart from the three singles).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Need to give it multiple listens for sure. It kind of just passed me by but I have been listening to it whilst working. Can't really form an opinion on it yet.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I noted the word "melancholy" being used in quite a few reviews and that's pretty much the vibe.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Need to give it multiple listens for sure. It kind of just passed me by but I have been listening to it whilst working. Can't really form an opinion on it yet.
Yeah I was like this with TBHAC. You have to judge the thing as a whole because the songs individually don't really stand out that much. I just like the vibe and know it's gonna be on my listening list for a good while. At least until the new Joji album drops.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ok so after spending a lot of time with it, my thoughts are:

Nice chilled vibe
No songs really stand out that much
It feels like 10 poems rather than songs
The drummer needs a pay cut
No really 'banger ' of a song
The lyrics are fecking awful :lol:

Overall I do enjoy it as a whole though.

Gazza

This is a dull and monotonous album imo. Points for being 'different'... I guess? But it's simply uninteresting and not enjoyable to listen to, for me. The sound feels a bit "throw ELO/Beatles/Bowie/Steely Dan in a blender and see what comes" but it doesn't feel like an authentic expression of anything in particular. I have no axe to grind with Arctic Monkeys, saw them live twice back in my late teens / early twenties, and fair play if you're a fan and enjoy the album. I do think Alex Turner's voice has taken on a nail/chalkboard quality, however.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Ok so after a full days listen, I think this will be something I keep on rotation for a while because I like the chilled vibe but yeah, the lyrics are absolutely atrocious and The Car has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard and Mr Schwarz... what the feck is it even about :lol:

But with that said, Sculptures, Hello You and Big Ideas are excellent along with the 3 singles and Jet Ski is also ok... so that's 7 tracks out of 10 that I quite enjoy.

This definitely is nowhere close to TBH&C and Turner is at his pretentious limit here. I honestly think I would prefer an instrumental version of this album.