Are a lot of people missing the point of a Director of Football?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ok, let's leave the DoF issue to one side for a moment. Would you not agree that we, as a club, should have a philosophy? A way of playing?
Yes. But it should go deeper than just superficially created.

Any fans can write a 10 years plan on phylosophy, how we want to play, how we should play, i can write that up no problem.

For a structure to flourish we have to have first, stability. When we've stabilized the sinking ship, we start to add flair to our game, we started to blood the youth and they'll flourish because the stability is there.

What we're doing is throwing the kitchen sink, the youth, the 100m purchase, and hope they stick. That's not how saf does thing, that's not how saf bloods the youth.

Our youth is being given gametime not because it's right to do so, but because we want to be seen as united value. The kids arent ready, we arent ready for free flowing football, we arent ready for title challenge, we arent ready for many things. Our coaches arent ready. First we need stability at top 4. The progression from then every year.

If we're a car, we're worried about the sound system, the tint, while having a broke engine. Fix the fundamentals first, the we can talk about attacking football and bleeding youth

red thru&thru

Any fans can write a 10 years plan on phylosophy, how we want to play, how we should play, i can write that up no problem.

For a structure to flourish we have to have first, stability. When we've stabilized the sinking ship, we start to add flair to our game, we started to blood the youth and they'll flourish because the stability is there.

What we're doing is throwing the kitchen sink, the youth, the 100m purchase, and hope they stick. That's not how saf does thing, that's not how saf bloods the youth.

Our youth is being given gametime not because it's right to do so, but because we want to be seen as united value. The kids arent ready, we arent ready for free flowing football, we arent ready for title challenge, we arent ready for many things. Our coaches arent ready. First we need stability at top 4. The progression from then every year.

If we're a car, we're worried about the sound system, the tint, while having a broke engine. Fix the fundamentals first, the we can talk about attacking football and bleeding youth
I totally agree. The fundamental needs to be fixed.

Can I ask what you think the fundamental issue at the club is?

Johan07

I did answer it, not my fault you can't understand the answer.

I now wholly understand why you back ed so much, you have a very similar attitude as to what Ed applies to the footballing side of our club.
Sigh, I am not "backing Ed". I am more or less indifferent to both him and the Glazers as long as they keep financing the football side of things as they have been doing.
What I do object to is posters like you just moaning everyone out without being able to present a realistic alternative.
I dont mind it when it comes to Woodward, he is not going anywhere anytime soon anyways.
I have a bigger problem when people want to sabotage the club, by boycotting games, not buying merchandise just to get the Glazers out, when they cant present an alternative that is not way, way worse ownership-wise. And then I say realistic, not some fecking unicorn that can never happen.
Thats detrimental to the club and I strongly disagree.
Present me with a better - realistic - alternative to what we have now; and I will be all aboard the choo-choo train.

Skills

Snitch
Just the managers? Not the guys who employ them?
He's also at fault, a) for hiring the wrong ones and b) then not correcting his mistakes quick enough.

B is far worse than A though. Clubs probably get in average about 1/4 managers right (Madrid since 2013 have had Ancelotti, Benitez, Zidane, Lopetuigi, someone + Zidane again). The best ones realise quickly they're at a dead end, so you cut your losses early. Woodward has failed massively at this task.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I totally agree. The fundamental needs to be fixed.

Can I ask what you think the fundamental issue at the club is?
Post saf wobble. Took a while of try and error.

If it's up to me i keep it safe and keep on trying established managers for the time being. We can experiment with young modern coach when we stabilized.

Our coaches are a bunch of clueless coach with no prior experience between them. Moyes gutted the whole coaching department and this adds to our woe. Lvg brought 2 guys with him, one is a video man and the other coach is i dont know what he is. It definitely isnt enough to drill the basics and the details of game management. Carrick isnt a coach. I speak english, taught by an english professor, doesnt made me a good English teacher.

2nd. Our persistence in united value is hampering our progress. Everything is dusted under the bin because it's not united enough. Like the car analogy we sell the car because it doesnt look fancy enough.

3rd. We had a string of bad luck with moyes, lvg, jose, making us wary of big name manager. Third time might be a charm. Not every club got their klopp on 2nd or evern 3rd try.

How to fix it? Sack ole, give allegri a chance for now. Put a restructuring plan in motion regardless of the manager. If ed is clueless, go for proven coaches, poach them if need be. Hire the best in business. Pray that the next manager is the right one.

We forget, took us a lots of try and error before we found our fergie

red thru&thru

Sigh, I am not "backing Ed". I am more or less indifferent to both him and the Glazers as long as they keep financing the football side of things as they have been doing.
What I do object to is posters like you just moaning everyone out without being able to present a realistic alternative.
I dont mind it when it comes to Woodward, he is not going anywhere anytime soon anyways.
I have a bigger problem when people want to sabotage the club, by boycotting games, not buying merchandise just to get the Glazers out, when they cant present an alternative that is not way, way worse ownership-wise. And then I say realistic, not some fecking unicorn that can never happen.
Thats detrimental to the club and I strongly disagree.
Present me with a better - realistic - alternative to what we have now; and I will be all aboard the choo-choo train.
You certainly ask a lot of people to present things to you, don't you? When did you become the clubs gatekeeper? I don't think no one cares whether you are on board the choo-choo train.

A lot of people are giving solutions, it's your fault for not wanting to accept there suggestions. You have the problem with boycotting the club but says it's the wrong thing to do? If people aren't happy the way things are going, they are well within their rights to do what they think will bring around a change.

Glazer's and Ed have had plenty of time in these past 7 years to prove themselves and they have failed. Very simple.

Johan07

You certainly ask a lot of people to present things to you, don't you? When did you become the clubs gatekeeper? I don't think no one cares whether you are on board the choo-choo train.

A lot of people are giving solutions, it's your fault for not wanting to accept there suggestions. You have the problem with boycotting the club but says it's the wrong thing to do? If people aren't happy the way things are going, they are well within their rights to do what they think will bring around a change.

Glazer's and Ed have had plenty of time in these past 7 years to prove themselves and they have failed. Very simple.
Are you illiterate? I have no problem with people doing whatever they want; and thats includes boycotting games, etc.
I do have a very strong opinion that shit like that is detrimental to the club. Not to the owners, to the club itself.
And in the same way as people are free to do what they want by boycotting games or whatever, I am free to say so on here and point out the flaws in doing so.

red thru&thru

Post saf wobble. Took a while of try and error.

If it's up to me i keep it safe and keep on trying established managers for the time being. We can experiment with young modern coach when we stabilized.

Our coaches are a bunch of clueless coach with no prior experience between them. Moyes gutted the whole coaching department and this adds to our woe. Lvg brought 2 guys with him, one is a video man and the other coach is i dont know what he is. It definitely isnt enough to drill the basics and the details of game management. Carrick isnt a coach. I speak english, taught by an english professor, doesnt made me a good English teacher.

2nd. Our persistence in united value is hampering our progress. Everything is dusted under the bin because it's not united enough. Like the car analogy we sell the car because it doesnt look fancy enough.

3rd. We had a string of bad luck with moyes, lvg, jose, making us wary of big name manager. Third time might be a charm. Not every club got their klopp on 2nd or evern 3rd try.

How to fix it? Sack ole, give allegri a chance for now. Put a restructuring plan in motion regardless of the manager. If ed is clueless, go for proven coaches, poach them if need be. Hire the best in business. Pray that the next manager is the right one.

We forget, took us a lots of try and error before we found our fergie
You do use Fergie, look at what he did. He had a plan and stuck to it. Funnily enough, the plan was what was our previous most successful period as a club, youth and attacking football. From there on wards, all the things Fergie did was according to the plan. Me personally, I want us to go back to them values, similar to what Ole is doing now.

The problem with getting in an Allegri, he isn't that type of manager and we'd have to restructure again, which takes more time and more unrest.

When you talk about a car, you as a consumer know what you are purchasing, before purchasing it. If you buy a Ferrari, you know what type of car you are going to get. When you buy a Renault, you know it's not going to be the same as a Ferrari. Both are different and no doubt successful in their own way.

But it all goes back to having a plan, philosophy. You have to determine what this is at the ownership level and put in place the people to execute that plan.

red thru&thru

Are you illiterate? I have no problem with people doing whatever they want; and thats includes boycotting games, etc.
I do have a very strong opinion that shit like that is detrimental to the club. Not to the owners, to the club itself.
And in the same way as people are free to do what they want by boycotting games or whatever, I am free to say so on here and point out the flaws in doing so.
And people can point out the flaws in what you do, sit behind a screen and do jack all about the fortunes of the club. I'd rather boycott and keep asking people to come up with business plan for you! :boring::lol:

AllezLesDiables

We have the man in charge for that. It's the manager.

I seriously dont think Woodward sits in his room and picks which players we should buy. It's not his job.

If it's bad it's Ed's purchase, if it's good it's ole purchase.
You did not answer the question. Why is it important that someone takes the blame?

Do you not understand the concept of leadership?

No system can work unless someone can acknowledge problems and then get to work on fixing them.

It’s like you refuse to acknowledge that Ed Woodward has deliberately lied.

Why else did those tweets come out about looking for a DoF and then nothing happened. It was never happening. The tweet was a pacifier and a diversion with the idea being that people would just forget about it.

Organizations do not operate well when there is no trust in leadership.

If there is no one to blame then you have no leadership.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

No system can work unless someone can acknowledge problems and then get to work on fixing them.

Why else did those tweets come out about looking for a DoF and then nothing happened. It was never happening. The tweet was a pacifier and a diversion with the idea being that people would just forget about it.

Enlighten me on the job description of manchester united manager

Johan07

Can you quote me that "tweet" from an official club account and/or Woodwards personal account I will be in a better position to answer you. If you cannot; your question is irrelevant. The Sun or the Mirror does not count.
My belief is that there was serious plans to employ a technical director under LvG already and that this was put on hold because Mourinho refused to work with someone he did not control himself; or even worse: was controlled by. The lack of a DoF was one of the major reasons he wanted the United-job.
I think we have been looking for one since he left and that someone will be employed before the nxt transfer window. This is a complicated process and not something that gets done at once. Which it should not either.
Another thing is that IMO there is major resistance from the traditionalists at the club to change the organisation to remove power from the manager and make him more of a pure coach. What do you think Sir Alex and Gills advice to the Glazers will have been? Read one of Sir Alex books and you will grasp the very clear answer.
Yet another thing (and because of the above) is that I dont think we will see a DoF at the club in the sense that some people on here define it. It will take time to change was essentially is the core of the club about the managers power.
Funny thing is that its probably Woodward himself that has pushed for a more "American organisation" with a GM/DoF or whatever you want to call it. He is probably the progressive one at the club.
If anything if you want to criticise, you could say that Woodward/Glazers have been to deferential to the traditions of the club. Everyone talks about youth and attacking football being the "United way"; but a third pillar is definitely the power of the manager. Its funny that people suddenly think that a bunch of Americans just should have changed that fundamental thing up.
I say this: the horror we would have seen on the Caf if they had kicked Sir Alex and Gill out and applied what basically is a Tampa Bay Bucs organisation.
The horror....
And of course I am speculating with this post if I have to make that clear.

Last edited:

AneRu

We are so far off stability in the top and we face a risk of sinking further because we have refused to alter the way we bring in players and managers. We have to admit that the way we are doing things doesn't work especially if the same manager is going to drive transfer strategy, a bad manager will buy badly and saddle you with a lot of deadwood on huge contracts that nobody else wants. When that happens every summer you would be needing 4 or 5 new signings just to replace the duds the previous manager brought in. It ain't no way to build a club.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Is this a trick question? I've already answered your question.
I didn't see it as one to be honest. I don't understand why it's important that one person get the blame, or why anyone needs to be blamed anyway. Is it some sort of scapegoating ceremony?

It is possible to fail in the strategic realm (which would be Ed's domain) as well as in the tactical realm (which would be the domain of every coach that has come here to date, Ole still open question). Those realms are not completely independent. Which is why im continually baffled by dense claims that we don't need a DoF if we have a great manager. The job of making sure every unit in the club is aligned with the club's strategic vision is too critical to be handled by the same person conducting training at Carrington.

adexkola

Supports
People seem to be under the impression that when a Director of Football comes in, he'll somehow usurp our CEO. The CEO of a company that is partly traded on the NYSE, and has an obligation to protect shareholder investment. An we'll put a football man in charge of the club. This to me is utterly insane.

It's the manager, who a DOF will actually strip a lot of power away from. The DOF will still report to the CEO, and the amount of money available to spend will still be determined by a 'financial guy'. This is sensible or you could end up bankrupting the club, and crashing the share price.

When a DOF football comes in, we'll hopefully finally reduce the manager to a head coach. And he'll be reporting to the DOF. Then it's not a question of 'backing the manager in the transfer market' it's a question what can the coach achieve with the resources already at the club (which btw should be the first question in an interview).

The club should continue to assess the squad and coach, and see how they can upgrade either allowing us to be a bit more dynamic.
Yes, I agree with this.

There are so many moving parts. Bringing youth into the team at the right time, and ensuring that our U teams are all synched. Nutrition, incorporating data and analytics into every facet of the club allowing for better decision making. Directing scouting. Having contingencies in the transfer market so we're not left high and dry. Why the feck would we let a single coach handle all of the above?

red thru&thru

I didn't see it as one to be honest. I don't understand why it's important that one person get the blame, or why anyone needs to be blamed anyway. Is it some sort of scapegoating ceremony?

It is possible to fail in the strategic realm (which would be Ed's domain) as well as in the tactical realm (which would be the domain of every coach that has come here to date, Ole still open question). Those realms are not completely independent. Which is why im continually baffled by dense claims that we don't need a DoF if we have a great manager. The job of making sure every unit in the club is aligned with the club's strategic vision is too critical to be handled by the same person conducting training at Carrington.
I can answer your question, let me begin with asking, who is in charge of the running of Manchester United?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What you need is somebody competent in the running of a football club at the executive level. Which is different from being a competent manager and requires different skills

Berlusconi's milan, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Barcelona, etc. Virtually any dominant continental side ever always have had a great continuity - at the executive level. That was/is their secret.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
People seem to be under the impression that when a Director of Football comes in, he'll somehow usurp our CEO. The CEO of a company that is partly traded on the NYSE, and has an obligation to protect shareholder investment. An we'll put a football man in charge of the club. This to me is utterly insane.

It's the manager, who a DOF will actually strip a lot of power away from. The DOF will still report to the CEO, and the amount of money available to spend will still be determined by a 'financial guy'. This is sensible or you could end up bankrupting the club, and crashing the share price.

When a DOF football comes in, we'll hopefully finally reduce the manager to a head coach. And he'll be reporting to the DOF. Then it's not a question of 'backing the manager in the transfer market' it's a question what can the coach achieve with the resources already at the club (which btw should be the first question in an interview).

The club should continue to assess the squad and coach, and see how they can upgrade either allowing us to be a bit more dynamic.
Not sure if this has been pointed out over the past 3 pages, but I hope it does. But if it hasnt:

The role of the DOF is not to strip powers away from the Manager or usurp the CEO. The role is complimentary to both. For Manchester United, the Director of Football will sign off on all football decisions. Not as a king, but as the head of all things that goes on on the pitch. Meaning that the Manager will still give his list of what players he wants, there will still be a lot of people in the club who pitches in, analysis are made, and decisions are made on who to target. And the person that makes that call? The DOF. Of course he has the autonomy to simply buy whoever he wants assuming the board gives him that power in his contract, but we don't have a tradition of that sort of kingmanship in Manchester United, the staff are very much invovled in player aquisitions.

In fact, our ENTIRE project right now, revolves around recapturing our identify from the 90s and 2000-2010s. A new DOF won't simply show up and start buying 28 year old Spaniards left and right.

Txiki Begiristain is the DOF at Manchester City. Do you imagine he buys anyone without Pep Guardiola agreeing to it? No, the decisions are mutual. This is true for first team players, but not necessarily academy prospects as they are not part of the first team. So in parts the DOF will bring in players, in parts he will bring in players in conjunction with the manager.

Or to put it better: No DOF in their right mind will ever buy a player that does not fit the mold of the team.

I'm excited for someone with the right football knowledge to take the reins away from Ed Woodward. Ed is an absolutely fantastic moneyman and earns his keep, but there has been too many questionable contracts and transfers allowed to let this go on further.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Ole would make a good dof given his passion, principles and the fact he’s already had a hand in resetting the club. Bring in another first team coach next summer and move ole upstairs for continuity.

red thru&thru

No.

And I love 21 questions as much as the next guy, but...
So if he is in charge and given the responsibility and hasn't achieved his targets, the buck stops with him. So he has to take responsibility of the failures.

Normally I wouldn't have to ask so many questions for most to understand a point but you and another can't quite grasp the concept of Ed is to blame for our footballing failures under his tenure.

As you were...

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
In absolute fairness, 80 - 90% of people on here calling for a DoF have absolutely no clue into what a DoF actually does, and everyone else doesn't know in any detail, and thus would not be able to truly identify how one would help, as well as knowing whether one is truly doing a good or bad job

The above is the same for management, coaching, playing at a high level, or basically anything to do with high level football/sport.

adexkola

Supports
So if he is in charge and given the responsibility and hasn't achieved his targets, the buck stops with him. So he has to take responsibility of the failures.

Normally I wouldn't have to ask so many questions for most to understand a point but you and another can't quite grasp the concept of Ed is to blame for our footballing failures under his tenure.

As you were...
In this world you live in, the manager is faultless?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Ole would make a good dof given his passion, principles and the fact he’s already had a hand in resetting the club. Bring in another first team coach next summer and move ole upstairs for continuity.
My oh my our fans thinks anyone with an ounce of passion can be a dof.

So whoever comes as manager has to listen to a manager that got sacked because he's so bad. And telling him what to do?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We are so far off stability in the top and we face a risk of sinking further because we have refused to alter the way we bring in players and managers. We have to admit that the way we are doing things doesn't work especially if the same manager is going to drive transfer strategy, a bad manager will buy badly and saddle you with a lot of deadwood on huge contracts that nobody else wants. When that happens every summer you would be needing 4 or 5 new signings just to replace the duds the previous manager brought in. It ain't no way to build a club.
Who says jose doesnt work? If he's not saddled by constant nagging of trying to recreate a united way, and let him does his job without needing to pretend to play attacking football. 2nd and 2 cups is working, we just dont have the patience.

Be honest to yourself, if that's ole on the wheel 2nd and 2 cups we'd be creaming ourselves.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not sure about that.
To my mind he is just as unqualified for that role as he is as manager.
Is Ole really a strategic thinker who can evaluate each of the various functions and make the necessary changes to improve the football performance sufficient to seriously challenge for the very top honours.
The real issue is what would be the objectives for a DoF.
You see. If the club seriously believed that this role was necessary, don't you think that they would have appointed one by now.

adexkola

Supports
Not sure about that.
To my mind he is just as unqualified for that role as he is as manager.
Is Ole really a strategic thinker who can evaluate each of the various functions and make the necessary changes to improve the football performance sufficient to seriously challenge for the very top honours.
The real issue is what would be the objectives for a DoF.
You see. If the club seriously believed that this role was necessary, don't you think that they would have appointed one by now.
What qualifications are you looking for? Is there an industry standard? The only one I'm aware of from a coaching perspective is your badges.

wolvored

Ive said the same a couple of times. We need someone to coach us, to make tactics and a style of play that work. This seems beyond Ole at this time, but Ole has proven he knows what players to bring in to improve the squad and not adverse to promoting youth and like you think he could work as DOF

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What qualifications are you looking for? Is there an industry standard? The only one I'm aware of from a coaching perspective is your badges.
In my view it would be some experience of working as a DOF with a major European football club. There is obviously a model which works with those clubs that employ that role.

red thru&thru

In my view it would be some experience of working as a DOF with a major European football club. There is obviously a model which works with those clubs that employ that role.
No coincidence a clubs run by the Red Bull teams have 2 teams in the CL. An organisation which has tried and tested model put across all it's clubs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No coincidence a clubs run by the Red Bull teams have 2 teams in the CL. An organisation which has tried and tested model put across all it's clubs.
That is a very good point. Football is increasingly utilising defined processes.
Most all major organisations are underpinned by processes and that equally applies to sports.

red thru&thru

That is a very good point. Football is increasingly utilising defined processes.
Most all major organisations are underpinned by processes and that equally applies to sports.
Exactly. Any successful enterprise will have process that is in line with their vision/values. Components may and will need to be changed time to time to reach the goal, however, the values remain the same.

Can the same be said about our football? It seems to change on the mood of Ed and the board.

TRUERED89

Jose got an extension because he led us to our best finish post Fergie. I do agree though that a good DoF would help with continuity.

I do think all of his managers made sense at the time; and I disagree that they have not been sacked quickly enough. Moyes didn’t see out a season, LVG got us into the CL so was allowed to continue, and then was sacked at the end of the next season when he failed to. Everyone is a hindsight expert, and said Jose should have been sacked last summer, but how do you sack a manager for finishing second? He was rightfully allowed to continue, and when things were going wrong, he was sacked. Ole came in as interim. After a string of wins, the experts on and off Redcafe unanimously agreed he should be given the job. Now of course, Ed is an idiot for doing so.
Do you remember the poll on here at the time? Overwhelmingly in favour of Ole, I'd like to see it again..

red thru&thru

Do you remember the poll on here at the time? Overwhelmingly in favour of Ole, I'd like to see it again..
Yea, I'm sure it was massively in favour of Ole. I personally never wanted him, just putting out there.

But what it shows is, Ed is not fit for the role he's in. After they sacked Jose, Ed said he would wait until the summer to appoint a permanent manager and a DoF. He did neither...neither did he wait till the summer, nor did he sign a DoF!