Are English players overrated or is it Southgate ?

432JuanMata

I said in the match thread. We have as starters Henderson, Shaw, AWB, Rashford, Maguire and Greenwood.
We are linked with Rice, Grealish and Sancho with most United fans saying we would be much better and can challenge if we sign Sancho and Rice.
Now I’m not hating on English players or the country by the way but watching them I don’t see a team that are world class.
Is the squad just overrated or is just Southgate being clueless ?
I think it’s both but mainly Southgate can English fans give me their opinions as I don’t watch England all the time

dove

A bit of both but how Southgate is England manager I will never know. Terrible terrible manager.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Poor selection and also mix of both.

Cloud7

These players are quality. We see them showing their quality in the league every week. It isn’t a case of media hype. Southgate is simply one of the worst managers at the tournament.

432JuanMata

Putting the best players on the pitch to begin with would be a start
That might be true but did you see the squad on the pitch ? There value and performances in the PL is well more than enough to beat Scotland or at least create loads

Idxomer

The players may be a bit overrated but Southgate is shit and no one rates him.

dinostar77

Southgate is useless. Post england he wouldnt get a job with a top 6 club in any top league in europe.

Roboc7

It’s clearly both but Southgate is picking wrong team and looks pretty clueless .

El Zoido

It’s the team selection. The players are fine, not the best team in the world but definitely capable of much more than this. He left his best players on the bench.

izec

Southgate is the big issue, always was. Team is alright, should be producing much better football. This is England

Dr. StrangeHate

The most high profile and best paying international manager job in the world and the best England can do is Southgate. Criminal.

Nick7

It’s very clearly Southgate. England have a very good squad but the wrong tactics are being used for the wrong players.

hobbers

Both.

Several players are massively overrated. Southgate is also a mediocre manager.

SER19

Its absolutely both.

Pickford, mings, Phillips
Out of form sterling, kane
Good but just potential in mount and Foden.

The overrating this time seems to be based hugely on Foden and Grealish ability to excite. Spinning a poor showing against Croatia as good summed it up

Tiber

Southgate was lucky to get the under 21 job nevermind the proper manager job.

But hey, he has lots of mates in the media so he will get another few years without scrutiny if he keeps getting soft groups

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't know if over rated is right as a whole, but Southgate is making the classic mistake of picking the names rather than the form.

Sterling, Foden, Kane have not kicked into gear as a three, and should be broken up but it's not helped by Southgate somewhat bottling this and insisting on being so cautious.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
England don't have good enough central midfielders. That's your problem. I'd give Bellingham a try.

Irwin99

Over the years it's 100% been overrated English players but this group is actually really quite good in my opinion. Absolutely on the manager. It seems to be the strategy is to stay tight, be hard to beat and nick games 1-0 through a bit of inspiration.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
English players are overrated, but they are also still really good. Their squad would indicate that they should be a much better team and that is down to the negative coach. He isn't the one to bring the best out of the ballers you have.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
No one rates Southgate. How could he be over rated. He didn’t have the experience or quality for the job. He is just the nice face of the FA, a PC man after that fiasco with fat Sam.

spiriticon

Marcus Rashford cannot play centre forward.

Someone pass the memo to Southgate.

Ludens the Red

A bit of both. Foden being an example of a player this country has hyped to heavens but he’s not gonna drag England to victories. Gigantically over rated player. Very much a player benefiting for playing for an excellent well drilled team at club level with a manager about 100 levels superior to the one he has at international level.

But yeah Southgate is a below average coach who’s outstayed his welcome. Good with the players and media and likeable but not good enough tactically. Too negative, terrible at game management (WC Semi final being the worse example)

I get the same feelings watching England as I do United. Just never going to play progressive and expansive football regardless of players. Look at the state of the pressing today and the non existent movement off the ball. It’s the same shit just switched from red to white.

Zen86

That might be true but did you see the squad on the pitch ? There value and performances in the PL is well more than enough to beat Scotland or at least create loads
Southgate isn’t covering himself with glory, but some of the so-called superstars on the pitch really believe their own hype too much.