Are FIFA the most blatantly corrupt organisation in sport?

Skills

Snitch
Even pyramid schemes at least try and mask their scams. But FIFA literally don't care one bit

stevoc

They're the GOAT of corruption.

It's time football governed itself and got rid of UEFA/FIFA.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They're a mafia. They don't give a shit so long as there's a paper thin veil of legitimacy

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
These are well-meant supranational quangos badly evolved into mafia circles. Sport was a great vehicle of soft power, money and corruption one hundred years ago and much much more these days. Point is: how to reform? Plebs do not want private ventures (a la SuperLeague) or the governmental bureaucracies (a la EU), so what.

Amazing Santos

FIFA love corruption, they live and breath it. They wake up in the morning to the smell of brown paper envelopes.

Ifantino the bald feck moved to Doha, no doubt his mansion paid for and everything else. Of course you'll only find out about how corrupt he himself is as well in 10-15 years time once his career is over. Then they'll find an even more corrupt person to make president.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They are disgustingly corrupt.
The head of the Nigerian FA was investigated for money laundering a few years ago.
FIFA threatened to kick Nigeria out if anything was done to him.
@VeevaVee is spot on. A mafia gang masquerading as a sport governing body.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can't think of one sporting body that isn't corrupt, FIFA just happen to be the biggest of the lot.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The head of the Nigerian FA was investigated for money laundering a few years ago.
What? :lol:

Abizzz

We will need to wait for the final to be certain.

Should the ref suddenly send all the players between the striker of one team and the goal of the other to the far end of the field, wait until the 95th minute, and then end the game as soon as said striker scored they'll be equal to F1.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Every global institution struggles with corruption, because in some parts of the world corruption is the norm rather than the exception.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Didn’t one of the heads of an African nation criticise the west for essentially being too sensitive to corruption? Said it’s a cultural thing, those in Africa and Asia just understand it’s the way things are done.

massi83

Should the ref suddenly send all the players between the striker of one team and the goal of the other to the far end of the field, wait until the 95th minute, and then end the game as soon as said striker scored they'll be equal to F1.
If the finalist goes on to lose 22 times in a row it was probably a just result.

massi83

Didn’t one of the heads of an African nation criticise the west for essentially being too sensitive to corruption? Said it’s a cultural thing, those in Africa and Asia just understand it’s the way things are done.
:lol:

Oranges038

But isn't that because they have rules against political interference in the international bodies of the country?

It really is just blackmail.

GazTheLegend

Every global institution struggles with corruption, because in some parts of the world corruption is the norm rather than the exception.
This is right. And there are some hard and fast numbers that can be looked up. https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021 any country below a certain threshold on this list was always going to be susceptible to bribery.

I EXPECT the Russians to behave like pieces of shit. I EXPECT certain countries to -be- corrupt. I do NOT expect the people in charge of football to behave similarly, however. It's right and proper that the keys to football be in the hands of an international organization - but they should be subject to rigorous scrutiny, because they are playing a global game with our money.

Pintu

This is right. And there are some hard and fast numbers that can be looked up. https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2021 any country below a certain threshold on this list was always going to be susceptible to bribery.

I EXPECT the Russians to behave like pieces of shit. I EXPECT certain countries to -be- corrupt. I do NOT expect the people in charge of football to behave similarly, however. It's right and proper that the keys to football be in the hands of an international organization - but they should be subject to rigorous scrutiny, because they are playing a global game with our money.
It is more complicated than that, many "non corrupt" countries get along very well with the corrupt institutions. I remember Platini (who was expecting Blatter to step down and let him be the main candidate) in 2015 getting so angry at the French FA president (Le Great). The latter had said he would vote for Blatter and among other things said he was thankful to Blatter who gave France the Women World Cup of 2019. Many in UEFA ended up voting for Blatter, and he won his 5th term with a landslide, despite the ongoing corruption scandal.

scottser

i don't know if anyone else's olympic council behaved like ours, but pat hickey was a proper grifter.

Timeline: Irish Olympic ticket-sale scandal - BBC News

the problem with a lot of the sporting representative bodies is that they started out as amateur organisations and are still playing catch up with regard to oversight and regulation. has fifa appointed a female member to its senior executive committee yet? is there any fan or player representation at senior level? nope.
they still come across as corrupt old boys networks, dealing in bags of cash, tickets and favours. organisations like that are too easy to exploit. hopefully the CIA arrest more of those greasy feckers in time.

AnotherLondonManc

That F1 incident wasn't an example of corruption. It was just severe malpractice in an attempt to artificially make the finale more exciting than it otherwise would have been. They made that decision 'for the good of the sport' and it backfired spectacularly.

Regarding the OP, boxing organisations don't even bother writing rules for how they seed and sanction bouts. I mean, it is driven by nothing but money.

lysglimt

Scout
No - it's the the most corrupt organization int he world. No other organization would be allowed to do what they do without some government going after them

lysglimt

Scout
Well certainly not like the one that was proposed. But yeah a breakaway from UEFA/FIFA by clubs of some sort.
As I said in another thread - play Euros every other year - and invite other countries to join

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
But isn't that because they have rules against political interference in the international bodies of the country?

It really is just blackmail.
Exactly. FIFA are the ultimate arbiter of what is considered political interference.
They know who they can mess with. They couldn't try that shit with Lorretta Lynch.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
None of the public facing members in FIFA’s executive committee seem likeable. There is a nauseating air about them all - filled with prejudice and bigotry.

The beautiful game is beautiful no longer thanks to these idiots.

Chief123

Nah that's the thing. The likes of City put in a huge effort to pretend their legit.

FIFA don't even bother with any plausible deniability
The ones to watch are the ones who do it discreetly while fronting a friendly face.

I’d rather face the blatantly corrupt than have a lowered guard against the friendly ones.

stevoc

As I said in another thread - play Euros every other year - and invite other countries to join
Euros+?

That reminds me am I imagining it or were Japan once invited to play in the Copa America?

Abizzz

Euros+?

That reminds me am I imagining it or were Japan once invited to play in the Copa America?
No Copa regularly invites 1 team to join because it makes for a better format (iirc).