Are French players overrated or is it Deschamps?

Dante

Average bang
They were massively hyped by the British media. This tournament was supposed to be a cakewalk for them.

Cloud7

Not sure if this is a serious thread or not, but Deschamps should be moved on. France has the best squad in international football. They started this match with 6 defensive players. This squad could be much more.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
They would've won in 90 minutes if Deschamps hadn't been a total coward towards the end

Irwin99

The water carrier was the issue; some big egos in that team too, although being World Champions I guess they're entitled to have them.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
End of the line for the dechamps surely.

ManRed

Quite an unfit team going into the tournament. But enough quality to beat Swiss.

Dan_F

They were massively hyped by the British media. This tournament was supposed to be a cakewalk for them.
Hyped for being the World Champions, and finalists in the previous Euros.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
You could see vs. Germany why they became world champions - their defending was insane.
For me they never played like champions. Time wasting, winning with 1 goal margin, parking the bus vs. small teams. I'm happy they are out.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Lenglet is garbage both at Barcelona and with France and Deschamps is the one to blame for giving him the role of main CB.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Deschamps had a good run by playing Mourinho style football in 2 tournaments and it finally came back to bite him in the ass. Just go and play open football, if you lose, you go out with pride, don't go out regretting that you didn't try to attack with your bundle of world class attackers. That's why I just can't support teams who play that style and why I hope England get battered tomorrow. It's one thing trying to play counter attacking style, another where you try to kill the game and stop any football from actually happening. feck that shit.

FatTails

Are they seriously going to waste one of the most talented generation of footballers with a manager like Deschamps? Baffling.

Dan_F

3 years ago. Players age and develop.

This tournament, they could only win a single game out of four.
What does that have to do with the being pre tournament favourites with the British media?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It seemed to me he went against what made him successful in the first place — there wasn’t much tactical to it; he was picking a side of very good players with some good balance and keeping morale high.

This time around he started with a formation they never looked comfortable with (a 4312) and then switched randomly to a back 3 with a CCB who’d played his first game in over 3 months.

Plus… the whole Mbappe/Giroud debacle. Not sure how big that actually was though

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not picking Laporte looks even more bizarre.

Stacks

France cakewalk to the world domination by numbers
  1. beaten by a Ronaldo-less Portugal at home in Euro 2016
  2. Lost to Sweden and scraped 1st place in qualifying group due to young Dutch players still developing
  3. scraped win vs poor Australia side due to own goal
  4. barely beat a shite Peru
  5. could not beat Denmark
  6. Saved by a lack of "sufficient injury time" vs Argentina
  7. Bailed out by a Lukaku stinker
  8. Dominated by Croatia
  9. Scaped a win vs Germany
  10. Came from behind to scrape draw vs Hungary
  11. Came from behind to steal draw from Portugal
  12. came from behind and saved by Switzerland penalty miss
  13. 1 win in 4 games vs higher quality of European competition
Overrated. nothing like 1996-200 quality

Andersonson

Not sure if this is a serious thread or not, but Deschamps should be moved on. France has the best squad in international football. They started this match with 6 defensive players. This squad could be much more.
They didnt start with 6 defensive players though. Barely 4.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Every tournament this happens. Arrogant French fans start shouting 'ça rentre à la maison' based nothing more than misplaced Ligue 1 hype.

Red Star One

French have the most talented squad and it’s not even close full stop. Bigger difference in talent pool and depth than City vs rest of Premier League. Has to go down to manager in that case - defense was awfully organized, some tactical choices debatable, motivation and team spirit questionable. But the quality really nobody can take from that team and players they didn’t even call up.

KeanoMagicHat

France cakewalk to the world domination by numbers
  1. beaten by a Ronaldo-less Portugal at home in Euro 2016
  2. Lost to Sweden and scraped 1st place in qualifying group due to young Dutch players still developing
  3. scraped win vs poor Australia side due to own goal
  4. barely beat a shite Peru
  5. could not beat Denmark
  6. Saved by a lack of "sufficient injury time" vs Argentina
  7. Bailed out by a Lukaku stinker
  8. Dominated by Croatia
  9. Scaped a win vs Germany
  10. Came from behind to scrape draw vs Hungary
  11. Came from behind to steal draw from Portugal
  12. came from behind and saved by Switzerland penalty miss
  13. 1 win in 4 games vs higher quality of European competition
Overrated. nothing like 1996-200 quality
I mean most of these points are very flimsy, not sure if you're being serious or not.

You could do the same thing with their 1998 World Cup by pointing out they needed extra time to beat Paraguay, couldn't score against Italy and only won on penalties, then played against Brazil after their best player Ronaldo had a seizure. And they had home advantage. In fact they won after 90 minutes 4 times out of 7 knockout games between 1998 and 2000 wins. 2018 World Cup win was more impressive than the 1998 win.

Murray3007

been poor the whole tournament, poor attitude from the players, keep hearing this is the elite squad but they cant work out how to play a back 3? lack of leaders seems to be the main thing in there squad,

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Let's be real, they're a great squad but the problem, as every with the French squad, is dynamics. Mbappe seemed disinterested from the get go after throwing his toys out of the pram over Giroud's comments.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I didn’t pick them to win it because I know how hard it is to go back to back in international tournaments. But they’re the World Champions, it’s quite natural for them to be hyped, not some weird, unwarranted anomaly.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
The players fault. They switched off after going 3-1 up.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I blame Ole

They have the best team in the world by far on paper but they got caught taking a harder working team for granted tonight. Pogba was easily their best player in an uninspiring Euros by their own lofty standards. The never ending PP conundrum continues for us….Unfortunately the bookies will be very happy chaps tonight. Will they sack him?

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Its very common for reigning champions to fall of a cliff in the next tourney. They lacked attitude, as they didnt desire to go through as before the wc title. Their squad is the best by quite a margin. Think everybody involved is at fault for this result. Players, coaches, the media that led them to believe that talent would beat hard work etc.