Are high wages why we struggle to sell players?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I can't think of another plausible reason. Players like Jones, Valencia, Rojo, Darmian etc could all be good additions for mid table PL teams or teams abroad.

We seem to be quite unique in that we really struggle to move these players on.

SiRed

Yes that is the reason.

The bigger question is.... How on earth have they been awarded those massive contracts?

AndyJ1985

The wage bill is up there with Real Madrid, Barcelona, and City, yet the quality of our team is down there with Spurs and Arsenal. It doesn't take a genius to figure out we massively overpay mediocre players. No other clubs possess the same amount of money and stupidity as we do, hence we struggle to sell them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Probably one of the biggest reasons, yeah. That coupled with one or 2 other variables - like most of them just haven't been performing. (hence someone like DDG always had/have admirers).

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The wage bill is up there with Real Madrid, Barcelona, and City, yet the quality of our team is down there with Spurs and Arsenal. It doesn't take a genius to figure out we massively overpay mediocre players. No other clubs possess the same amount of money and stupidity as we do, hence we struggle to sell them.
Good summary :lol:

ArjenIsM3

Yes, obviously. We've been overpaying our players for years now and it's starting to become a real problem judging by our transfer business.

Carolina Red

Staff
The bigger question is.... How on earth have they been awarded those massive contracts?
I’ve wondered that myself.

It would make sense if we were an up and coming club trying to lure players in. But we aren’t... so what the heck are we doing?

Greck

The baffling part for me is the club continues to renew mediocre players on ridiculous contracts despite knowing this. Is there no one in the whole hierarchy that can restore some structure to the system?

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I’ve wondered that myself.

It would make sense if we were an up and coming club trying to lure players in. But we aren’t... so what the heck are we doing?
There's players in there that were bought in on too higher wages like Rojo/Darmian. Players like Jones/Valencia I guess were just extended rather than replaced.

Eleven-Eighteen

Yes that is the reason.

It happened largely during our seasons of desperation under Moyes and van Gaal, when our recruitment was shambolic, and the club was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a change in era meant a change in team and tactics. We tried holding on to older players at whatever cost (because money was coming by a lot easier than wins) and because they had titles under their belt, thanks to Sir Alex

Verminator

The baffling part for me is the club continues to renew mediocre players on ridiculous contracts despite knowing this. Is there no one in the whole hierarchy that can restore some structure to the system?
Spot on.
We could offer someone like Jones, Young etc, lower wages, and they would still stay, because they wouldn't earn more, or be at a better club, if they looked at leaving.
We are not talking about players that are coveted by Europe's elite, or even upper-table, prem clubs. We don't need to pay them to ward off predators.

New signings are a different case, until you're viewed as the place to be, to win major honours.

Roboc7

Giving players wages they don’t deserve and don’t reflect their market value is a big issue and makes a lot of our players worthless in the transfer market.

Fellaini couldn’t get the wages he is on as a free transfer elsewhere so no one is going to pay a fee for him and match his wages, There was no need to offer him a two year deal, should have been one year deal or nothing.

The squad players need to be paid less, if they want to go elsewhere that’s fine but when they realise what other options are most will be happy to stay.

In Rainbows

Spot on.
We could offer someone like Jones, Young etc, lower wages, and they would still stay, because they wouldn't earn more, or be at a better club, if they looked at leaving.
We are not talking about players that are coveted by Europe's elite, or even upper-table, prem clubs. We don't need to pay them to ward off predators.

New signings are a different case, until you're viewed as the place to be, to win major honours.
We have all the leverage and yet we end up looking like we have no leverage.

LingiBW

I just don't get our club honestly. Fine,the mess has been done in offering massive wages to our underperforming players initially. However,on renewals esp if the players are not performing, why can't we offer them less wages or restructure their pay instead of increasing them?

An example would be Fellaini, contract was at an end, he wanted more but no other team could offer what he wanted,why didn't we lower our offer on a take it or leave it basis. But nope, us being us,we give him what he wants without getting the performance to match

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
Players like Ibra and Sanchez don't show the form they showed at PSG and Arsenal when they sign a bumper contract here.

Then no one else can afford to pay such a huge wage to a water carrier who isn't scoring as much as they should be.

Clubs face this problem such as Rangers in Scotland. If you pay your players too high as a premier club in your country then other clubs in your country won't want those players due to high wage demands. Even loaning them becomes hard.

poleglass red

We renew contracts for low quality players on overpriced wages. Guys like Rojo should never have been offered a new contract, I get why they do it, they think it will recoup them a better transfer fee. Problem is no-one will pay that fee and their wages, while we do as they sit on the bench or injury table. It was the same with Jose, there was no need to offer him a new contract. Hopefully they are learning their lesson.....

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not only that, when We sell a player usually it's when We don't even care about the player anymore. It gives the buyer more power in negotiation. When you're trying to sell something that you don't want, people tend to low ball you. Other clubs do this better than us, e.g. when Chelsea sold Schurrle, Oscar They sold them at the correct time.. when They were performing well.

We sold players that sat on the bench for a lot of matches. When They showed us glimpse of hope We gave them another chance.. chances after chances, only when They became absolutely shit at the point of no return did We think We should sell them.

Or We bought the players at the prices that were too high. Fellaini, Lukaku, Fred are the perfect examples of this.

Last edited:

JoseandMkhiarespecial

Supports
Rangers FC & the red devils
Lukaku is another one. Signed on a big contract probably by Jose. And seems to have regressed.

His passing might be better but he has put on so much weight that he is really slow and can't run like he did at Everton. And scores less goals now. I wouldn't be surprised if Everton probably couldn't afford him now if he was to be offloaded.

Johan07

Our problem is definately not the contracts of squad players like Rojo, Darmian, Jones, Valencia and Young.
The reason we have not not sold them is actually that they are cheap, not that no one wants them.
It would simply cost more for us to replace them.
Thats probably also why the club is seeing out Jones contract for example before offering a new one.
What we do - and this might be considered a problem - is pay higher wages than other teams for our "stars" and supposed to be first-team players.
Without any real basis for this I would guess that more than two thirds our our wagebill consists of the contracts of Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Fellaini, Matic, Mata and coming up also De Gea (soon to be I hope, but one should understand what a new contract for him does to our wagebill).
This idea that we will do something significantly with our wage bill by offloading squadplayers or pay them less is a misconstrued notion.
What we should do is look at what one or two of these players actually contribute to the team. Sanchez and Fellaini for instance.
Tbf, if we are going to give De Gea and Martial new contracts this summer it those players that has to be looked at, not Jones or Rojo.

AgentP

Yeah, the Luke Shaw renewal. We are paying him 195k a week according to reports. He won't even get 100k at any other club.

We have all the leverage and yet we end up looking like we have no leverage.
Sums it up, really. It's the feeling I've had for years as well.

RM practically bullied us into selling DDG simply because, um, they wanted him and it took a technical error with a fax machine to keep us from selling our best player. Pretty unbelievable.

Oneunited26

Deadwood fc is a problem that’s been the case for 10 years or so, it took ages to get Anderson off the books. But if I look at Valencia, young, Jones, rojo, smalling, darmian, fellaini, mata, Sanchez, lukaku, these players need to be moved on but some how allot of them keep surviving like a cockroach surviving a nuclear blast. It’s a shame to say mata is part of deadwood FC but he is just too slow. Sanchez has really tanked our negotiation tactics, because our big players are going to want to earn more than what Sanchez earns, and it’s taken forever to tie these players down

FerociousCorgis

Lot of it has to do with how easily we give players contracts over 100k/w. It's like the club thinks that is the starting point for every player. Then you look at other clubs and realize their best players are around that mark.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm struggling to understand why someone would think we are having trouble selling players. Just because you want them sold, it doesn't mean the club does. Sure, I have a few in my head who I think we should sell, but that doesn't mean they are on the market. In fact, there hasn't been much in the media at all about players who we are trying to sell apart from Darmien, but even with him, we just renewed his contract for another year. Mind you, that's probably all smoke and mirrors so teams won't get him for free in the summer...

AndyJ1985

I'm struggling to understand why someone would think we are having trouble selling players. Just because you want them sold, it doesn't mean the club does. Sure, I have a few in my head who I think we should sell, but that doesn't mean they are on the market. In fact, there hasn't been much in the media at all about players who we are trying to sell apart from Darmien, but even with him, we just renewed his contract for another year. Mind you, that's probably all smoke and mirrors so teams won't get him for free in the summer...
Are you saying the club believe our squad is perfect and we don't need to sell anyone? If not what you've said makes no sense.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I don't mind selling players on the cheap.

Offering average players high paying contracts is the daft bit.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Are you saying the club believe our squad is perfect and we don't need to sell anyone? If not what you've said makes no sense.
What I'm saying is that there haven't been any players who have been put on the market by our club other than Darmien. We read all the time about clubs saying "so and so can leave". When was the last time you read something like that about a United player???

Member 90887

One of the reasons yes. The other one is that we rarely sell players that we don't want to sell, and these are the ones that get you big money.

clarkydaz

Yes that is the reason.

Mr. Disneyland himself. Started with the Rooney contract and hasn't stopped since. It appears as the club have so much money to burn there is no accountability for burning it

AshleyDevil

Yes i think it's one of the reasons. We've got so much deadwood on good money it's unreal.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's one of the reasons but not the only one or the main one.

The main reason each and every one of the aforementioned players is still here is because the manager who was at the helm at the time chose to renew their contracts, in some cases this happened more than once, instead of looking for potential upgrades in the market. This is usually what happens when you, as a club, bet all your chips on one man, the manager, to get the job done.

United are generating shitloads of money, thus we pay our footballers accordingly. We could sign a player from, let's say, Watford, tomorrow and his weekly wages will be instantly increased in order to match the rest of the squad's salaries. When used correctly, this ability can give us the upper hand against all PL clubs minus City & Chelsea when we're going after a player (we did it with Shaw, for instance). That's how it is and it's really not a huge problem to offload someone when a manager decides that a certain player does not fit into his plans. The manager can call a player in his office and tell him that he doesn't believe in him and that it would be better for him to look for another club. Or he can run down his contract (for the money) by spending a couple of seasons on the bench while his value slowly but steadily decreases.

Take a look at how many players LvG showed the door to during his tenure: Welbeck, Hernandez, Rafael, Nani, RvP, Evans, Lindegaard, Kagawa, Buttner, Zaha, Cleverley, Keane etc. Then in came Mourinho who kicked out of the club the likes of Schneiderlin, Depay, Schweinsteiger, Rooney, Blind, Januzaj, McNair and some other academy players among the numerous ones who were given their debuts under LvG, etc.

Valencia, Young and Smalling were regular starters under all three managers in the post-Ferguson era. Jones has started in almost every game under Ole. Rojo was trusted by LvG and Mourinho used him a lot until he got injured. Fellaini has been a wild card for some time now when plan A failed (which it did, a lot). Seemingly Darmian is on his way out with rumours suggesting that an agreement with Juventus is already in place. The rest of the deadwood is still here because the managers kept them here. They are part of Moyes, LvG and Mourinho's failure at United.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Fully agree, couldn't of said it better myself!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chairman Steve

Yes it is. I'm not quite sure other clubs are able to do it, whether it be they're pulling in favours with clubs in some way, or the club quietly pays a lot of their contract to them as a severance payment of sorts (which we potentially wouldn't do) or other clubs just have better negotiators with this type of thing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Our wage structure is all over the place. The top players are paid normally but the squad players and fillers are on ridiculous wages, they are close to top level wages in other leagues. Only PL clubs could offer them comparative wages and the issue is that, it's still possible for PL clubs to find cheaper options and our squad players are probably looking down on mid table clubs.

I think that we should reset the wage bill and get rid of every bottom squad player that has an offer.

Johan07

Our wage structure is all over the place. The top players are paid normally but the squad players and fillers are on ridiculous wages, they are close to top level wages in other leagues. Only PL clubs could offer them comparative wages and the issue is that, it's still possible for PL clubs to find cheaper options and our squad players are probably looking down on mid table clubs.

I think that we should reset the wage bill and get rid of every bottom squad player that has an offer.
Its a way bigger problem that Sanchez is on 400k a week and Lukaku is on 200k per week than Jones and Darmian being on 50k per week,