Film Are Hollywood making too many superhero films and when will they stop? | Never, apparently

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Those announcements are a new level of overkill. As much as I enjoyed the phases up to Endgame, and a huge Superhero fan, even I feel exhausted seeing all of these

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Out of those, I'll probably watch the DD series, Guardians 3 and Black Panther 2.

Really what I want is more Moon Knight and The Punisher series', with Isaac and Bernthal respectively. And something new from the X-Men. Doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon.

Sylar

I do agree phase 4 (for MCU) hasn't been at its best. Right now it seemed about introducing new characters to take over those which are retiring (Shang chi, eternals, ms marvel... And a few standalone type movies of the already established guys)
Looked like a holding pattern post infinity saga

They now are releasing more of the plan with regards to avenger movies being a conclusion of a saga (shorter sagas it seems), and think the movies will be more focused for the overall plans.

There is a shit load of material to derive from and translate on to the big screen with a shit load of characters and interactions

MCU can still introduce f4 (which they are doing), x men and then of course Deadpool.
A lot of villains they can bring in too.

Saying it will die out in 5 years is a big bold claim. Not even MCU based cos DCcu has flopped yet they will still put movies out regarding batman, superman , joker, Harley and such

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
They'll never stop making them until they begin to lose money. It's like any corporate meeting when people are used to doing the same things... you literally cannot introduce new ideas unless you own the company.

The people coming up with scripts, production, marketing and finance etc will be working to a design template. You'd need a superhero to stop it :angel:

Hamnat

These characters have lasted in other media for literal decades. Story after story generation after generation, people have read and bought. Namor was created in what 1939 and he finally gets to the screen in Black Panther 2. Just because there is now a platform for the same characters that lasted this long to break into gaming and TV/Movies is the natural progression really.

If people make stories that people want to pay to see, and actors that want to play the characters there is plenty of material to adapt for a long time.

Dan_F

I don’t mind it, makes it much easier to know what films to avoid.

Dante

Average bang
I'll watch Black Panther and Blade.

She-Hulk looks like it could be a laugh. But I'll wait for the reviews.

The only Marvel movies I like are the ones that don't bash you over the head they exist in the MCU.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Marvel was the coup de grace to a dying industry; a sloppy hammer swing requiring multiple blows to penetrate the cranium. Flecks of nitrate grey matter speckling the lycra.

Delano

I'll start by saying I enjoy Superhero movies and I can't wait for new Daredevil, as long as Disney don't feck it up...

On the OP question, I think we're at a point of diminishing returns. I'm delighted Top Gun did so well, because Hollywood is missing unique Action, Thriller and Comedy movies.

There's plenty of dross on Netflix within those genres, but movies like Northman, The Last Duel etc bombing is a shame for big scale cinema; whether you rate them or not. More stories like Top Gun are needed to change the tide of where budgets go.

This links to the massive lack of quality "mid-budget" films as well. Warner Bros would rather plow billions into the "Flashverse" then do another "Nice Guys" for example. Which I'd argue would be a far better film.

Big Andy

Bloke
I wouldn't say the audience at Comic-Con is an accurate representation of the general public. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a group that it would be easier to sell some of this phoned-in shite they're announcing now to.
My 12 year old is literally hyperactive with glee about literally everything you saw in that video.

He's Marvel mad and won't fecking shut up about it.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Aren't superhero films just action films with spandex?

Put a cape on Jason Bourne and its basically a superhero movie

SuperiorXI

The worst thing about this shit is that the cinemas are flooded with these films, they take up 75% of the screens, so real films are reduced to off-peak showing times and not as many screenings. A real shame.

I am sick of these popcorn films, can't wait for the fad to die out.

cafecillos

I know the official excuse most people give to justify being so embarrassingly grumpy over this is that a lot of much more interesting projects are left without financial backing because of it. Because we all know that if they weren't doing Marvel stuff, Disney would be releasing series like Six Feet Under and movies like Quo Vadis, Aida? on a weekly basis. Of course. Just admit that, like me, you're just miserable sods who hate people enjoying things, it's much more accurate and honest.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They will lose casuals. I like some Marvel films and some are naff but what I hate now is that I need to watch the naff ones to understand a lot of what is going on in the good ones.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They will lose casuals. I like some Marvel films and some are naff but what I hate now is that I need to watch the naff ones to understand a lot of what is going on in the good ones.
I know of a few MCU fans who have completely turned off their films now, which is nice.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
James Bond is basically Iron man with the same shit in different colors.
Exactly people who complain about Marvel, like, and I won't name names but let's call him Sugary Quadrilateral, will enjoy James Bond yet criticise marvel. Disgrace

cafecillos

The worst thing about this shit is that the cinemas are flooded with these films, they take up 75% of the screens, so real films are reduced to off-peak showing times and not as many screenings.
Nah, this is just another disingenuous "argument". If the cinemas in my town weren't showing these they would either be showing the other blockbusters being released or they'd close down.

cafecillos

I get the idea of opposing the blockbuster phenomenon, I can actually get behind it, in the same way I feel mainstream music needs to be ignored as much as possible in favour of smaller, alternative/independent artists, but being so obsessed with Marvel specifically, leaving things like Too Fast Too Furious out of the problem is simplistic and inaccurate.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I know the official excuse most people give to justify being so embarrassingly grumpy over this is that a lot of much more interesting projects are left without financial backing because of it. Because we all know that if they weren't doing Marvel stuff, Disney would be releasing series like Six Feet Under and movies like Quo Vadis, Aida? on a weekly basis. Of course. Just admit that, like me, you're just miserable sods who hate people enjoying things, it's much more accurate and honest.
This level honesty is refreshing.

SuperiorXI

Nah, this is just another disingenuous "argument". If the cinemas in my town weren't showing these they would either be showing the other blockbusters being released or they'd close down.
No, they'd be showing things spread out more fairly so you could get a Saturday night showing for example of the latest films rather than only being able to pick Marvel shite

cafecillos

No, they'd be showing things spread out more fairly so you could get a Saturday night showing for example of the latest films rather than only being able to pick Marvel shite
Where is this actually happening though? I don't live in the UK or in the US, and I don't live in a big city, but the cinema in my town never shows any film in more than 2 out of its 8 screens, and when they do it's hardly ever Marvel stuff that get that treatment.

SuperiorXI

Where is this actually happening though? I don't live in the UK or in the US, and I don't live in a big city, but the cinema in my town never shows any film in more than 2 out of its 8 screens, and when they do it's hardly ever Marvel stuff that get that treatment.
In my local cinema (Manchester UK) and also the one in town; obviously they make more money this way but it's still frustrating if you're not into Marvel and like a visit to the flix.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What's the difference?
You can't really be an annoying uber nerd about John Wick. There isn't a compendium of lore to follow. Man's dog is killed. Man wrecks the place.

No 18 movie arc about the sparkly gemstones of friendship.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You can't really be an annoying uber nerd about John Wick. There isn't a compendium of lore to follow. Man's dog is killed. Man wrecks the place.

Where people pass out with excitement because some random comic book guy from 1912 is in the background.

MTF

I get the idea of opposing the blockbuster phenomenon, I can actually get behind it, in the same way I feel mainstream music needs to be ignored as much as possible in favour of smaller, alternative/independent artists, but being so obsessed with Marvel specifically, leaving things like Too Fast Too Furious out of the problem is simplistic and inaccurate.
It's definitely not just Marvel, it's the studios banking on these big franchises because their box offices are just larger than any new projects. People vote with their wallets, and they're voting for the franchises. But because I don't like the franchises, I do miss when 15-20 years ago there were a lot more frequent medium-to-large projects of one-off movies (not series) in genres that I tend to enjoy more, like espionage for example.

Moby

Dick

I don't think those are the only reasons people are annoyed and bored from superhero movies. One of them sure, but the rest of the shite from superhero movies is the same as those other movies as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The key difference is that the Fast and the Furious franchise released nine films across 20 years whereas Marvel released its most recent nine films across 3 years. With TV shows on top of that.

Sweet Square

Losing your mind because 3 actors can be green screened into one scene = bad and not cinema

Losing your mind because your about to watch two dudes destroy the British empire for 3 hours = poetic cinema

These two things are not the same.