Film Are Hollywood making too many superhero films and when will they stop? | Never, apparently

dinostar77

None of us here are the real target audience for this stuff its for the 6-16 year olds who will grow up with marvel and expect it to bena regular event. It was Star Wars (original trilogy) and the like in my day.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
None of us here are the real target audience for this stuff its for the 6-16 year olds who will grow up with marvel and expect it to bena regular event. It was Star Wars (original trilogy) and the like in my day.
Incorrect.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Incorrect, alot of man-children lap up this sh*te.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Since Iron Man was released in 2008 the MCU has averaged 1.64 films per year.

If that rate of output was translated to other franchises then we'd currently be on John Wick 13, Fast and Furious 34, Star Wars Episode 73 and the 98th James Bond film.

And that output is only accelerating, with Marvel currently putting out nearly twice that average per year. And that's ignoring the hours upon hours of TV content given its invasion of that platform. It's madness.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They will lose casuals. I like some Marvel films and some are naff but what I hate now is that I need to watch the naff ones to understand a lot of what is going on in the good ones.
This is the worst thing about it, especially now there’s TV series in the mix too, it’s bloody ridiculous.

I’ve enjoyed a fair amount of the MCU movies, but I don’t want to have to watch a few movies and a season of television that I’m not really interested in, just to be able to understand a new movie that does look decent by itself.

Also this is rage inducing.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I know the official excuse most people give to justify being so embarrassingly grumpy over this is that a lot of much more interesting projects are left without financial backing because of it. Because we all know that if they weren't doing Marvel stuff, Disney would be releasing series like Six Feet Under and movies like Quo Vadis, Aida? on a weekly basis. Of course. Just admit that, like me, you're just miserable sods who hate people enjoying things, it's much more accurate and honest.
You're probably right.

Last edited:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
My only problem with all these superhero movies is they're taking time and resources away from the important things: more dinosaur movies.

led_scholes

I have watched most of the marvel films but none of the series, and the last one I watched was the new Spiderman. Even though I quite enjoyed Thor Ragnarock and the first Doctor Strange, the new spider movie game me enough cringe for 10 years, and I think I m gonna skip the whatever phase it's on now. I found it ridiculously over the top with the nostalgia and the references that it made me wonder how the hell anyone in the production said "its a great idea, let's do it". I m not a purist in the sense of art of arts sake, but Marvel has moved from the commercialized art to 100% bubblegum movies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Marvel's stuff has always been crap and we seem to be getting more of than ever before. Good times for cinema.

Hamnat

Because I'm in a questioning mood, what's the Caf's view on DC movies?

People have always told me Marvel's output is much better but the only difference I can tell is the former caters/panders much more to fans.
The biggest difference between the two really is vision. Marvel overall vision is they believe, and have proven so far, they can make any of their properties popular or profitable no matter how obscure. DC have seemingly been stuck comparatively in only their Batman stuff consistently works. Which is why they reboot it constantly.

Businesswise DC has owned all their properties and should have been able to creatively use them and make successful products. Some stuff they can't help like their directors family issues and dropping out of projects, or the actors being nuts and they cant use them in marketing or promotion. If not for an overall vision and plan they should have had the same amount of success on paper.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

People have always told me Marvel's output is better but I can't tell the difference
Marvel: bright and colourful

DC: dark and brooding

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I heard they use John Wick to train their school teachers, so it has to be pretty realistic.

MiceOnMeth

My only problem with all these superhero movies is they're taking time and resources away from the important things: more dinosaur movies.
A marvel Jurassic park crossover would make a shit ton at the box office
The avengers go back in time to stop Kang from being born but the time machine malfunctions and they get stuck 65 million years in the past. Hulk vs a t rex!
Spiderman being chased by veliceraptors!

Moby

Dick

People have always told me Marvel's output is better but I can't tell the difference
Marvel old movies got better reception because half of it were comedies and kept it similar to what a comic book movie would be, simple and light hearted. The villains were pretty comical and non-serious and it was pretty much meant to be a having a laugh with the family, look at the CGI and stuff and have those few 'punchline' moments that was like watching a home run in a baseball game that the kids would cheer. That was fine as a fun family time out.

At the same time DC after the TDK trilogy got into making movies 'deeper', with slower sequences involving longer dialogues, exploring characters and personalities and stuff which worked in TDK but after that looked shit and boring. So Marvel instantly got more popular for being far less tedious, less mentally engaging and having entertainment in terms of comedy, fast sequences and stuff.

But now Marvel has gone full nerdy, I doubt most of their usual audience had any idea what happened in End Game with the whole time travel and shit, and it's gone on from them so it's getting concentrated to more hardcore comic book fans who dig the whole universe already and are excited to see it in a fancy ass live action format on a big screen. There's no entertainment value like initial Avengers, or the kind of well written action script like in initial Captain America films that had decent actors to pull it off. They need to make it more family friendly and less geek friendly otherwise it would become niche in some time.

Bebe

Where is this actually happening though? I don't live in the UK or in the US, and I don't live in a big city, but the cinema in my town never shows any film in more than 2 out of its 8 screens, and when they do it's hardly ever Marvel stuff that get that treatment.
Top Gun was off screens after a couple weeks here so every theatre could show Jurassic Park and Buzz lightyear on seven screens simultaneously. I've no idea if its actually the large trend some people insinuate, but I did observe concrete evidence of it recently.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This is the worst thing about it, especially now there’s TV series in the mix too, it’s bloody ridiculous.

I’ve enjoyed a fair amount of the MCU movies, but I don’t want to have to watch a few movies and a season of television that I’m not really interested in, just to be able to understand a new movie that does look decent by itself.

I worked at a cinema and I hated marvel passionately because of this. They basically cut your cleaning time in half because of this shit. Just roll the credits and let the people leave, ffs.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yep. There is little time to do everything or watch everything as it is. I don’t want to have to add another 10-20 hours of viewing time to watch a 2-3 hour movie!

GreatDane

Since Iron Man was released in 2008 the MCU has averaged 1.64 films per year.

If that rate of output was translated to other franchises then we'd currently be on John Wick 13, Fast and Furious 34, Star Wars Episode 73 and the 98th James Bond film.

And that output is only accelerating, with Marvel currently putting out nearly twice that average per year. And that's ignoring the hours upon hours of TV content given its invasion of that platform. It's madness.
That one feels true, I lost count after the 5th or so.

cafecillos

Top Gun was off screens after a couple weeks here so every theatre could show Jurassic Park and Buzz lightyear on seven screens simultaneously. I've no idea if its actually the large trend some people insinuate, but I did observe concrete evidence of it recently.
Neither of which is Marvel though, which is one of my points.

Wing Attack Plan R

I think the problem with the superhero glut is that instead of studios making a big budget comedy, or romance, or drama, they are making superhero versions of those genres. "Thor Love and Thunder" was a dumb comedy/romance, "Logan" was a romance, "Joker" was a dark drama, etc. At 29 Marvel films already, there's no stopping that train. Quality has fallen off a cliff. Maybe someday there will be a reckoning where someone figures out that movies based on comic books for children are not going to take us anywhere as a species.

That said, I liked some of the superhero movies, but after the "origins" entry, they get boring fast.

Bebe

Neither of which is Marvel though, which is one of my points.
I've no doubt that Thor would have done the same if the timing had been different.

I worked at a cinema and I hated marvel passionately because of this. They basically cut your cleaning time in half because of this shit. Just roll the credits and let the people leave, ffs.
Never thought about that, what a pain :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Comes down to one thing for me: is cinema truly running out of original stories and interesting and inventive ways to tell them, or does it just seem that way because Marvel and the likes are eating up all of the resources needed to deliver them.

If its the former then it's all fecked anyway. If its the latter then it's all fecked anyway.

Bebe

Comes down to one thing for me: is cinema truly running out of original stories and interesting and inventive ways to tell them, or does it just seem that way because Marvel and the likes are eating up all of the resources needed to deliver them.

If its the former then it's all fecked anyway. If its the latter then it's all fecked anyway.
To me, at the end of the day it seems more down to audiences preferring unoriginal stories, told in boring ways. Hollywood, Marvel, Disney, theatres etc are all just following the money imo.