Film Are Hollywood making too many superhero films and when will they stop? | Never, apparently

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don’t get the problem. Just watch other movies. It’s not like there is nothing else coming to the cinema. There’s plenty of great movies being released every year.
People always say that, but I have to disagree. There's lots of quantity, but little quality.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not bothered, if you don’t like them you don’t have to watch them .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t get the problem. Just watch other movies. It’s not like there is nothing else coming to the cinema. There’s plenty of great movies being released every year.
Fewer films released every year than there used to be though. Which some would argue is a result of studios focusing too much on big event tentpole movies like these.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Fewer films released every year than there used to be though. Which some would argue is a result of studios focusing too much on big event tentpole movies like these.
No. It's a result of less people going to the movies and more people watching TV shows.
People always say that, but I have to disagree. There's lots of quantity, but little quality.
Like in every other field. The quality is their tho, how many quality films are you expecting. Never mind the fact that quality is relative and various between groups.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
For me personally yes, I have super hero fatigue and no interest in most of these movies. I'd love to see a version of Alan Moore's Miracle Man though.

But they are selling like crazy so of course they are going to keep making them. Super-hero genre is massive now, its probably bigger than classic science-fiction and fantasy combined.

All the discussion of the effect of superhero cinema on the Arthouse makes the presumption that American Arthouse is where it’s at. Not the case, only occasionally the case through the last hundred years.
I feel like there is a missing middle ground here in between "summer blockbuster" and Arthouse. For instance I don't consider Taylor Sheridan's movies (Sicario, Wind River, Hell or High Water) either blockbuster or arthouse but they are some of my favorite movies recently.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There were 6 DC and Marvel films released in 2017. Only Logan didn't make it into the top 10 - it came 11th.

It ain't going away any time soon.

Oldyella

There were 6 DC and Marvel films released in 2017. Only Logan didn't make it into the top 10 - it came 11th.

It ain't going away any time soon.
And that was arguably the best movie of them all.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Also annoying how shite movies get lauded just because of fandom. Black Panther is the most recent example, must be the most overhyped shite in recent history.

fellaini's barber

Still haven't seen Justice League, you're not forced to watch any of them. They'll die off eventually on their own

Wal2Fra

If it is not superhero movies it is fast & Furious!

Superhero movies are more acceptable in the sense you can choose which to watch (you may be a fan of Thor but not Iron man or tye DC vs Marvel thing) but Fast and Furious is just worse and worse and it means months of endless trailers!

AllezLesDiables

Just wait until we get British superheroes like John Constantine, Psylocke, Captain Britain, and Union Jack

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think there's 2 big things happening to fuel it. Ultra high quality viewing experiences with more content options than ever are now ubiquitous in the homes of developed countries...particularly in America. Going to the cinema just doesn't have the draw it used to. So movies you just have to make it to the big screen for are important to studios. This means action films with lots of effects will benefit and it's not just widely appealing 'special' events like LoTR or a new Star Wars that will draw crowds.

Also in this case they'd look to make up that lost revenue overseas. But there is a problem with this in regards to advertising. How do you advertise to the entire planet? Or even just east Asia? Quite an expensive proposition that, so you establish branding and let the initial movie do the advertising which is then followed up by sequel after sequel after spinoff. Super Hero movies and cartoon movies will inevitably follow this revenue formula, quality be damned...

caid

Tbh they're pretty much the only thing i'd go to the cinema for these days. I'd rather watch a drama, indie horror or whatever at home really. If im watching somethign in the cinema its for the spectacle

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The cinema is £60 a pop, minimum, for me and the OH. That's a pervasive fee for generic cinema going and it means the spectacle better be worth it, otherwise I'll watch from the comfort of my own home, thank you very much!

I don't watch DC films in the cinema because they're terrible, but Marvel is an automatic trip for me, as are any other films across any genre where I feel the experience will be enhanced because of the cinematic surroundings.

The proliferation of superhero films is not to blame for the decline of the industry as great indy films and small budget productions get more exposure than ever if they are good, and there are enough people who abstain from the genre (It's not a fad) but do nothing to fill the gap to state that something else is happening. The combination of expense and the home cinema experience being preferable altogether for some, has more to answer for.

DC's films tank yet they want to make more than ever before, so there's more to it than money makes money and I'll maintain that the superhero genre will be established in its own right rather than go away. What people who slam these films as generic tosh tend to omit is that the material these movies are made from is as old as their grandparents in some instances and for many others has always had a legitimate place alongside other forms of entertainment. Just because the medium has changed to the big screen, it doesn't mean the genre has any less of place nor a lack of material to be dismissed as a fad, which some seem to be claiming it is. If anything, these movies can just pick from their extensive source material and grow as long as the content remains up to par (Marvel) and we'll see where DC end up after their next attempts to strike gold.

As for these films taking away from other projects, they seem to run concurrently with little bother? Star Wars, Jurassic whatever, Avatars, Mission Impossible, Fantastic Beasts etc get made and new IPs are reliant on directors and the stars attached to them and it would be ridiculous to say the superhero genre has the monopoly on either.

settembrini

Alan Moores captain Britain run would be great.
Did he do the story with Mad Jim Jaspers? That villain ruled. And the robot thing that killed him was cool and all.

edit: And his Miracle Man stuff, that was great.

Oldyella

Did he do the story with Mad Jim Jaspers? That villain ruled. And the robot thing that killed him was cool and all.

edit: And his Miracle Man stuff, that was great.
He did yeah. Those two fighting always stuck in my head, would love to see it on the big screen. Miracle man would be amazing too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As long as the movies are good, they don't bother. I liked "Wonder Woman", hated "Justice League", liked "Infinity Wars", hated "Black Panther" and like "Spider Man:Homecoming".
So for me there is no real issue, I see them as normal movies, some can be good, some can be atrocious.

Kearnkoff69

Just wait until we get British superheroes like John Constantine, Psylocke, Captain Britain, and Union Jack
Constantine would be amazing. I was sad that the last movie version of him was so mediocre. His storylines have such a different vibe and such great imagery to mine that would really make a new Constantine movie stand out from the rest of the pack.

Minimalist

Apart from Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy I've never been a fan of any of them. Seen a few in the cinema (think the last was Batman Vs Superman which was pretty crap) but just not my thing. I don't hate any of them, I just don't care.

But as plenty say, they make tons of money and are clearly not aimed at people like me.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've been moaning about this for years. If they made quality ones rather than trying to churn out as many as possible and throwing a dartboard at a wheel to pick the next random superhero then I'd find it less annoying.

fallengt

The market has stopped growing, not sure if CMB have anything to do with it but studies have showed people prefer to watch movies on their phone than going to cinema theater nowadays.
The boom of streaming services like Netflix, Amazon etc... is the main reason so even if Hollywood stopped making men with cape in tight suit movies, it wouldn't change anything.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just saw this post in the Captain Marvel thread:

With no real sign of it slowing down, we're likely to get at least another decade of these films dominating the box office then? It's really remarkable. Especially as almost everybody who has seen this film seems to think it's basically just fine.

stepic

The cinema is £60 a pop, minimum, for me and the OH. That's a pervasive fee for generic cinema going and it means the spectacle better be worth it, otherwise I'll watch from the comfort of my own home, thank you very much!
£60? What kind of cinema are you going to? Even in central London tickets are only like £12-13 each.

My local cinema in Peckham is £4.95 a ticket all week round :cool:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I find it hard to see what's so appealing about these movies. But I already know I'm not the target demographic.

Drifter

American
Hope they go on for ever. You will still get those films like Green Book stealing Oscars.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
£60? What kind of cinema are you going to? Even in central London tickets are only like £12-13 each.

My local cinema in Peckham is £4.95 a ticket all week round :cool:
3D imax alone has the tickets up to £36 for two people, and £33 with the Cineworld+ card. Drinks, popcorn and what have you and you're comfortably in the £50+ range.

If I watch a good film, I'm OK with spending that, if the film is 6 or less, then I am quite annoyed I've wasted so much.