Are journalists deliberately facilitating in making United a laughing stock?

Kostur

海尔的老板
No, by the looks of it it's just the standards of British journalism at its finest. Cuckhurst being a prime example.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We were interested in Haaland though, wasn't we? And i think it's pretty clear now that we very much interested in Bruno, but can't get it over the line for whatever reason.

There's very much a paranoia with United fans that everyone is out for them - especially the media. That's only partly true in the sense that journalists are doing what journalists do best, and that's writing stories that sell. Considering that United are the biggest club in the country, and still one of the biggest in the world, there's obviously going to be a disproportionate number of articles written about us compared to other clubs.

I don't see it as a bias, necessarily (although there are some out there that are probably biased towards us, but it's a small amount tbh). Most of the stories that are written about us appear to be true considering how prevalent they are. The club are pretty adept themselves at making United look a laughing stock; we don't need any help off the media. Most of the time they're just reporting on the shambles that is this club at the moment, and when you see the numerous threads on this site, it appears the fans agree.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
The journalists in this country who don't support Man Utd want every manager and player who come to the club to fail. That's obvious.

Bestietom

After this mornings cock-up about Berge the scousers are having a right laugh at us.

Superden

those pesky journalists. scoring goals against us so we dont get 3 points, overplaying and injuring our players, taking squillions out of the club whilst looking for 'value' in the transfer market. honestly, if it wasnt for the daily star, wed be champions i tell you, champions of the whole fookin world.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I once heard a journalist saying that for their stories to sell, United need to be doing really well or really bad. When we're stuck in the middle they need to spice it up to make sure it sells.

I think the above was true until the end of Jose's second season. Since then, its been all us baby. We used to be the best at football and winning, now we've shifted our focus to comedy and we're killing it.

DavidDeSchmikes

Hated, adored, never ignored. Anything about Manchester United sells story, unfortunately it doesn't matter whether those stories are true or not. Hacks and journos can link us to half the world and when we fail to buy said players, it feeds into the narrative. They have been rumors and sauces telling us that we want Rooney and Tevez.
It's all about the clickbait. "Ole does SHOCKING thing at press conference. Fans send TWITTER into MELTDOWN" (clicks link)...oh Ole just smiled.

Seij

We are one of the top 3 most popular clubs in the world and have been an absolute circus. Do you blame the journalist for running with what gets them views?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Media is always going to clickbait - that's just the nature of the beast.

And ultimately, we don't need the media for us to be a laughing stock... we're just fine at achieving that on our own.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its actually our own fans on the internet that go the furthest way towards making us a laughing stock. We are quite clearly a club going through a heavy transitional period, which IMO is absolutely essential if we hope to reset and have us challenging again in the next 2-3 seasons. Its nothing to be ashamed of, but if I find myself constantly embarrassed by the language used about our club by our fans. Its significantly worse than I ever hear from any opposition support when they talk about us. We damage our own reputation more than anyone else.

There is actually a lot to admire about what our club is doing now. Promoting our own youth talent, trying to buy the next generation of superstar. Refusing to be ripped off by agents that have feasted on us in recent years. Removing any player that won't die for the shirt, regardless of whether it leaves us with short term squad depth issues. I don't have any problem with that. Its a strategy I can get behind.

There's an alternate reality in which we are a group of supporters that all mutually agree that we are going through transition. They are patient and not reacting game by game, and are prepared to see through this lean season (only by our own standards - still better than most) because we believe it is our best chance to get back to competing, and those fans are respected by opposition supporters. They get praise for not being like Liverpool fans and thinking they had a divine right to be top dog even 20 years after their last title. I like that reality.

midnightmare

Its actually our own fans on the internet that go the furthest way towards making us a laughing stock. We are quite clearly a club going through a heavy transitional period, which IMO is absolutely essential if we hope to reset and have us challenging again in the next 2-3 seasons. Its nothing to be ashamed of, but if I find myself constantly embarrassed by the language used about our club by our fans. Its significantly worse than I ever hear from any opposition support when they talk about us. We damage our own reputation more than anyone else.

There is actually a lot to admire about what our club is doing now. Promoting our own youth talent, trying to buy the next generation of superstar. Refusing to be ripped off by agents that have feasted on us in recent years. Removing any player that won't die for the shirt, regardless of whether it leaves us with short term squad depth issues. I don't have any problem with that. Its a strategy I can get behind.

There's an alternate reality in which we are a group of supporters that all mutually agree that we are going through transition. They are patient and not reacting game by game, and are prepared to see through this lean season (only by our own standards - still better than most) because we believe it is our best chance to get back to competing, and those fans are respected by opposition supporters. They get praise for not being like Liverpool fans and thinking they had a divine right to be top dog even 20 years after their last title. I like that reality.
Give it a rest mate. We are:
1. Happily paying dividends to our owners while our stadium is (literally) falling apart
2. Saying we’re doing a “rebuild” - while steadfastly refusing to do any “building” apart from throwing youth players to the wolves without any quality pros to support and guide them
3. Bleeding on and off the pitch
4. Lurching all over the place on Bruno (we don’t even want to buy, given the finances)

We say we’re “backing the manager” - but only seem to be doing that on the exits. So yes, our owners and Executive Vice-Chairman are doing a bang-up job of making our club a laughing stock. Don’t s**t on the fans for that.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
We've made ourselves easy targets, so no sympathy.

Bojan11

This is from the chief football writer of the mirror. Embarrassing.

Mr Smith

This is from the chief football writer of the mirror. Embarrassing.
Not a reason to bump this thread though. The Mirror are a rag who thought this would be a great clickbait headline. No need to encourage daft conspiracy threads.

SinNombre

This is a silly conspiracy theory thread.

Look at the number of articles recently in mainstream media trying to fellate to Bruno, or talking about how United have turned a corner.

We were the dominant team for such a long time, so stories trying to bring us down sold. Now the media has an incentive for us to compete for the highest trophies again.

There is no conspiracy, United are the biggest story around.

Tarrou

They are writing a lot of nonsense but the motivation is just clicks. United stories generate clicks, and negative stories generate more clicks. I'm convinced this is why newspapers publish these 'top 100 lists' and usually have some glaring omission of a United player.

I have a mate who used to work as a football journalist, he told me a story of when someone asked him to write 200 words on Nani being wanted by Arsenal for one of the red-tops. When he responded "but its not true", the guy just said "well I can ask someone else to do it".

Another time he attended a media day involving Rooney at Old Trafford, and was later included in an email thread from a few of the guys at the event all saying they planned to write a story saying Rooney was seen limping and is a doubt for the next game (it was a few days before the derby game I think). The truth was Rooney stumbled over something at some point and a few people saw it, but he was laughing about it and was absolutely fine. They all knew he was fine but if they all run the story it would give it more traction. A couple of the names were guys you hear about on here described as being the most reliable out there :D

Never underestimate how much horse-shit these guys write for a living. In my opinion the role of the football journalist has been diminished by social media. They used to serve a useful function as a bridge between the clubs/players and fans which is no longer needed. This has created a vacuum they are increasingly filling with crap and in many cases they have become more like pundits giving their opinions.

I think it does affect the relationship between the fans and the club. Pogba has stories written about him 24/7 about his character and professionalism, but if you listen to anyone he's worked with (Mourinho aside) he's a model pro and a joy to be around. Most of it is plucked from thin air but it's bound to impact some people's opinions on him.

Last edited:

oz insomniac

It’s obvious that the best supported club in the world would be click bait headlines for the media, how else would they get punters to read their ramblings.

of more concern is watching Chelski ignore Woodys narrative about how hard the transfer window would be and actually sign targeted players. As Utd has moved into a much more favourable position, let’s hope that the annual rumours and stories filtered out by Ed’s media staff lead to action, this is an ideal window to strengthen the team to rival the Pool and Citeh, let’s see if the Glazers and Ed deliver what’s needed.

wolvored

United has the biggest fan base in the land, BS clickbait stories make them money, that's really what its about. Stop clicking and they will stop writing.
This.
Its as simple as that. Want to sell the most stories? Write about Utd. The Daily Mirror (shit paper I know) did a count of how many players we were linked to (think it was the year we sold Ronaldo), we were linked to over 50 different players who we were signing, or had a deal in place reported over all media. From February to when the summer transfer window ended. I suspect its still around that figure now.