Are Lille the team to raid in Summer 2021?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Well how do you rate players then? He's played 14 games minutes based all season yet here you are saying he's been impresive

Last 10 games
vs Angers 82min assist
vs Saint Ettiene bench - 2nd half 27min
vs Lens bench
vs Nice Injured
vs Lyon 73min
vs Montpellier injured
vs Metz 90min assist
vs PSG 73min
vs Nimes bench - 2nd half 26min
vs Monaco 69min

He's missed 15 games in Ligue 1 due to multiple injuries.
I agree with you for once:lol:

Renato Sanches is a bot. No other way to put it. Benfica fooled all of you and Bayern.

He is just not that good. He won't ever play or make it at a top team.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Lille went with quite a defence first approach. They've been managed brilliantly and defend excellently as a unit, keeping everything compact. Even their wingers play very central and are more like extra cms that play slightly higher up and wider than the central 2 cms. Sven Botman is probably the most interesting for Utd. Personally I think Fonte has been the best performer in the defence but Botman has been impressive too and is only 21. Personally still think Monaco have more players I'd be interested in (Tchouaméni and Badiashile).
What's Badiashile like?

sourdough satellite

I agree with you for once:lol:

Renato Sanches is a bot. No other way to put it. Benfica fooled all of you and Bayern.

He is just not that good. He won't ever play or make it at a top team.
I think that's harsh, just because you're not good enough for Bayern doesn't make you some kind of "bot".

SAFMUTD

The obvious ones are Botman, Ikone, Boubakary and Jonathan David. I havent watched them but Im sure there'll be plenty interested in them.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He started 22 games!!!!!!

Just for clarity. Cavani has started 13 games.
Wow, 6 exclamation marks. You feel strongly about this.

I haven't watched the guy once, only going by what I've heard and read. But Giflord said he's played the equivalent of 14 games. Cavani is 34, Sanches is 23. I'd want my 23 year old playing much more. Bailey's made 17 starts. Even if he'd played well every single game, we'd have said he hasn't played enough games this year and that he wasn't good enough this season, right?

Edit: for context, up until 6 or so weeks ago I wasn't massively fussed if Cavani stayed or went. He'd played well when he was available and showed his worth, but I wasn't desperate for him to sign and felt that if he wanted to leave he should go.

Champagne Football

Last time Lille won the league in 2011, half the team ended up in the PL - Eden Hazard, Dimitri Payet, Yohan Cabaye, Lucas Digne, Gervinho, Idrissa Gueye.

Also a bloke called Rio Mavuba who was a caf legend, and the new Roy Keane according to some Ligue 1 ITK's!!!

They had Joe Cole on loan too.

SAFMUTD

Last time Lille won the league in 2011, half the team ended up in the PL - Eden Hazard, Dimitri Payet, Yohan Cabaye, Lucas Digne, Gervinho, Idrissa Gueye.

Also a bloke called Rio Mavuba who was a caf legend, and the new Roy Keane according to some Ligue 1 ITK's!!!

They had Joe Cole on loan too.
Wow can't believe Digne was on that team.

YankManc

We could buy Tim Weah and hope he turns into the player his dad was.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yeah. I am scouting some of them.

I easily buy Yilmaz if he was only 25-27
And if United didn’t had Cavani.

Equal good as Cavani. But maybe better allround basic football skills. Yilmaz, still...is a really good CF. Even 35 years age.

Lille have definitely many really good players.
Yilmaz better than Cavani :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I had a Turkish friend at work who wouldn't stop raving about Burak Yilmaz back when he was playing for Galatasaray. Every time he'd come into my office with a grin as big as a canyon, I'd ask him right away how many Yilmaz scored.

Mainoldo

Wow, 6 exclamation marks. You feel strongly about this.

I haven't watched the guy once, only going by what I've heard and read. But Giflord said he's played the equivalent of 14 games. Cavani is 34, Sanches is 23. I'd want my 23 year old playing much more. Bailey's made 17 starts. Even if he'd played well every single game, we'd have said he hasn't played enough games this year and that he wasn't good enough this season, right?

Edit: for context, up until 6 or so weeks ago I wasn't massively fussed if Cavani stayed or went. He'd played well when he was available and showed his worth, but I wasn't desperate for him to sign and felt that if he wanted to leave he should go.
:lol: Yeah it was a lot of exclamation marks.

It’s quite simple, I don’t agree with saying someone had a good or poor season should be based on them having an injury. The judgement should be how have they played when fit.

He’s been one of there best players when fit which was the point I’m making. Someone else saying he’s not good enough for a big Club.. again who gaf. We are talking about how he’s been this season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I had a Turkish friend at work who wouldn't stop raving about Burak Yilmaz back when he was playing for Galatasaray. Every time he'd come into my office with a grin as big as a canyon, I'd ask him right away how many Yilmaz scored.
Whenever he plays against France he looks like a prime Van Nistelrooy. If he was a slightly better athletes, I think that that his career could have been totally different, he knows how to play football.

OleBoiii

Only if they have a player with the last name Jon or Kim.

Now that we might lose Martial Mata, I think we need someone like Lille Jon or Lille Kim.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
:lol: Yeah it was a lot of exclamation marks.

It’s quite simple, I don’t agree with saying someone had a good or poor season should be based on them having an injury. The judgement should be how have they played when fit.

He’s been one of there best players when fit which was the point I’m making. Someone else saying he’s not good enough for a big Club.. again who gaf. We are talking about how he’s been this season.
We're moving away from the thread really but in my opinion, availability is important too. I used Bailly as an example but I guess that's because I'm looking at his 5 years in total here being injury riddled. If a player is usually fit but had a few niggly injuries in one season, then yes it can be excused.

UpWithRivers

Campos is the one to raid. Get him then he will tell you who to raid. Seems a friggin genius with first getting Monaco winning the league and now Lille. I dont understand why if he is so good Real and Monaco would have let him go.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Campos is the one to raid. Get him then he will tell you who to raid. Seems a friggin genius with first getting Monaco winning the league and now Lille. I dont understand why if he is so good Real and Monaco would have let him go.
He left Monaco due to relationship issues with other people and he isn't made for big clubs. The way he works is based on taking risk with players that have raw abilities that can be developed in a midsize club, Real Madrid would have no business having him as DOF, also he was a scout for them.

BFernandes

Slightly concerning that Fonte has been their stand out player in defence.

He's a good player in his own right - you don't get to 45 caps for Portugal if you're useless, but he spent his prime years in English football (joined at 24, left at 34) and hardly pulled up any trees. I watched him quite a lot for Southampton as I was living down there at the time, and he was always just a bit meh. And no club of any great standing ever came in for him.

Then he finds his way to Lille and becomes the new Carvalho at the age of 35?

Makes me suspicious of the likes of Botman, Sourmare etc. Lille strike me as a team who's greater than the sum of its parts. With Monaco, you could see the individual brilliance in Mbappe, Silva and Fabinho.

UpWithRivers

He left Monaco due to relationship issues with other people and he isn't made for big clubs. The way he works is based on taking risk with players that have raw abilities that can be developed in a midsize club, Real Madrid would have no business having him as DOF, also he was a scout for them.
Didnt know this - thanks

RkkMan

Jose Fonte of prior Southampton fame?
Not Fonte specifically but I'll happily take the CB he's mentored. He mentored Ruben Dias with Portugal, Van Dijk at Southampton and now Botman at Lille

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Whenever he plays against France he looks like a prime Van Nistelrooy. If he was a slightly better athletes, I think that that his career could have been totally different, he knows how to play football.
That's a good comp, he's a natural goalscorer.

Number32

Not Fonte specifically but I'll happily take the CB he's mentored. He mentored Ruben Dias with Portugal, Van Dijk at Southampton and now Botman at Lille
Don't forget Alderwereld and Lovren too

SportingCP96

Supports
I think that's harsh, just because you're not good enough for Bayern doesn't make you some kind of "bot".
He was not good enough for Swansea either but yes I was over exaggerating clearly. I was talking more tongue in cheek and the fact he is a Benfica boy.

In a neutral standpoint The main point still stands and that is that he just is not good enough, he is a physical beast no doubt but he lacks everything else.

This was evident in Benfica, and has not changed much since then. Poor passer and an overall poor understanding of the game, has a shot on him I guess in the sense that he puts a lot of power in them but he is not accurate at all and barely hits the target. On the ball he is alright but once again nothing to write home about.

He just is not that good.

SportingCP96

Supports
Burak always stood out for me, good striker. Did a hell of a job for galatasaray in the CL and was a key player in Lille winning the title.

Bulldog United

Well how do you rate players then? He's played 14 games minutes based all season yet here you are saying he's been impresive

Last 10 games
vs Angers 82min assist
vs Saint Ettiene bench - 2nd half 27min
vs Lens bench
vs Nice Injured
vs Lyon 73min
vs Montpellier injured
vs Metz 90min assist
vs PSG 73min
vs Nimes bench - 2nd half 26min
vs Monaco 69min

He's missed 15 games in Ligue 1 due to multiple injuries.
Potentially he could link up with Phil Jones.

Dazzmondo

Ahh yes, Raid Lille please and keep your paws off of Sporting's team :wenger::D
If we hadn't gone and signed Telles last season Nuno Mendes would have been an amazing signing. Imagine being Shaw's understudy and eventually replacing him. Wouldn't need to worry about the position for the next 15 years.

Dazzmondo

What's Badiashile like?
I havent even noticed Tchouameni or heard of him until the last couple of days and have watched Monaco two or three times this season. I was really watching Badiashile though after us being linked last year, For me he is absolutely nowhere near ready for a big move. He seems to have all the physcial tools but his reading of the game and positioning and general intelligence seem all over the place whenever I have watched him....not even sure if that is a progression learnign curve for a young player....really not convinced he is actually very good myself....for me Botman definately isnt. He has been good for Lille but again seems more as a physical defender, dotn see a player in either of them. I do agree from what O have watched that Fonte has been really good, maybe that is telling though as he was good at SOuthampton too but probably not good enough, maybe that is unfair as of course SAnches was rightly slated at Swanse but he is a talented player for me
I'd say that's a bit harsh on Badiashile but I do agree that he can lose concentration sometimes. He is strong though and most of the time he makes the right decision to stay on his feet and let his strong frame push his man wide. He also has good pace to go with his bulk. I don't think he's quite ready for a Utd yet but I do think he could get there (he only just turned 20). I have already seen improvements in him from last season. He would be an ideal signing after we have already secured our important 1st choice cb to partner Maguire imo, but I feel there are better/safer options to target first. I do also think that there is definitely a progression learning curve for young cbs around positioning for sure. Most promising young cbs still make plenty of mistakes, it's normally only once a cb reaches 25-28 where they really show their experience and understanding of how to position their body when facing different types of strikers. The technical ability on the ball, the tackling and of course their physical stature are the most important things to have at a young age and I would say Badiashile has all of those.

Botman for me doesn't have that same potential. He's had a solid season and he's quite dominant in the air which should be something we focus on considering the problems Lindelof has had this season. This is something that concerns me a little about Jules Koundé, who I do think is already good enough for Utd. My worry with Koundé is he is only 5'10 and while he actually does quite well in the air despite his height, it makes me a little nervous and I wonder whether he might struggle more in the Prem. Botman's pretty decent on the ball too tbf, I think where I would have concerns is if he had to play in a high line (which he would for us), I'm not sure his frame would suit this style of defending as well and he has seemed somewhat slow a few times I've watched him. You also need to cover more angles when you push higher since your full backs also push higher, whereas Lille's compact narrow defensive formation give Botman (and Fonte) less angles to worry about. I would definitely like to see him play in a team that plays a higher line than Lille before considering him.

Devil81

Glad we didn’t get them - not that I disagree with you - they’re decent players who would have improved us, but I think they were short term fixes and neither at the level we want to be at.

Glad he’s doing well though. I don’t keep much tabs on ex EPL players unless it’s our ex players or they move to one of the European giants
Perisic was far better than anything we had at that period. I'd have happily taken him

Perisic was far better than anything we had at that period. I'd have happily taken him
the total package would have been mind boggling, and a chain around our neck. Completely the wrong signing, and glad we avoided him and the likes of Willian.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I agree he was/is a good player, very powerful direct runner but i still am glad we didn't go for him. We would have been fleeced price-wise, for another ageing player, on massive wages.