Are people going to insist this isn't as bad or worse than the nadirs of LVG and Moyes?

Fosu-Mens

Seriously? Can you explain how it's not the case.

We're lifeless, listless, dire.
It is far worse now, compared to the situation it was under those two managers..

Couple of reasons:
  1. The difference in quality between our team and the other top teams in the league is bigger(Style of play and how the players in the squads are performing and their abilities) than it was at anytime during Moyes/LVG.
  2. Under the other two managers we were only a summer with good investment and a manager able to get the best out of the team to be able to fight for the title. Doing this now would only make us contenders for top 4 at best. Additionally we would need to spend a lot more, to get lower quality players compared to before.
  3. We have 2/3 players on big contracts(not performing or not good enough, or over the top) that we will struggle to get rid of: Sanchez, Lukaku, arguably Fred. And a number of players that are overpaid and not performing to their wage. And our best player might not resign with us. Previously we had Schweinsteiger and Rooney. But the other players in the squad on bad contracts had teams that would sign them in Sunderland, Everton, West Ham etc. The other teams in the PL will most like not sign our overpaid players anymore as they have become more professional in their recruitment.
  4. None/few of our players have improved in two and a half season. Under LVG they were at least able to string together more than two passes and some of the players showed signs of improvement.
  5. Our club and team is perceived as a mess by other teams and players in the world of football, making it more difficult to attract top players and talents. This was not as widely "known" during LVG and Moyes.
Only thing that has improved is our debt control and turnover.

Foxbatt

It is very sad that we have come to this. This is a club with huge revenues and can afford to pay those wages and transfer fees still. So why are we in this position still? Woodward should know what is going on. All this dire football that he sees day in and day out. Surely a man of his position can see that we are going downhill fast.
Yes we do not know what goes behind the scenes but I feel the club must be looking to replace Jose next season but who is it going to be? I have a feeling that unless something drastic happens he is going to be around this season or at least until we are oout of Europe and also out of the top 4 spot.

LuckyScout78

Im not sure if it is worse. But one thing i am 100%. LVG would do a lot better with United current squad. Mourinho is having better starting XI and squad. Pobga and Sanchez werent available during LVG second year.

And here are reason why LVG would do better than Mourinho with this squad:

- LVG is a manager that had a tactic to dominate matches and playing on the front foot. Not sitting back. And this United squad is best when they are playing on the front foot. Not sitting back against big teams, be compact, aggressive and counter attack. United current squad have no top quality ballwinners like Kante, Makele, Essien or Cambiasso. To play like Leicester and Chelsea against the big clubs.

- LVG will get more out of Pogba and let him attack attack and have more offensive jobs.

- Martial and Rashford were really good under LVG. Adding more with the players like Pobga, Sanchez. United would be better on the final third than under LVG second season. Even Henrikh Miki would suit better to play as RW for LVG. So attack has definitive been strenght a lot since LVG and the midfield too. Special with Fred, who looks decent as RCM.

- Even the defend and CB options now are better than under LVG.

- And last of all. LVG didnt brought as much negative energy and vibes like Mourinho. It affect more than under LVG. Thats why LVG won FA cup.

So sum up. With a better squad than Mourinho and Moyes. I expected more of this current squad with Mourinho than LVG. And with the result of this season. Special got dominate by middle table teams at Old Trafford. It get to be worse. No winning and dominate teams should let middle and bottom team dominate as much as they have done this season. Creating more chances is not enough for me to state is as better. Like City, they dont only create many chances. City is dominating matches on regular consistent basis too. So for me it worse than LVG.

Lentwood

It’s not better or worse than Moyes/LvG - it’s virtually identical in terms of league position and entertainment value

When will people learn? The problems at this club are deep-rooted. This is not a pro-Jose statement, it’s a recognition of the fact that we are an absolute mess from the top down and the manager is 5% of the problem

Just FYI - check my posts during the LvG era, I was saying exactly the same thing then (wasn’t a member in the Moyseh era)

Preezy

33% is the players' fault
33% is the suits' fault
33% is the manager's fault
1% is the sporting gods not showing favour

Esquire

I don’t understand the fixation to compare which season was better or worse under the 3 failed managers. It doesn’t matter does it? Slicing it anyway you want this season has been and will be a stinker. There is absolutely no joy for anyone involved from team to fan. It has been a painful grind like sliding down a mountain bike trail on your ass and balls with your pants down being pulled by a motorcycle.

Denis79

The most interesting thing for me in some of these replies is the cognitive dissonance from the utterly dire football we bear witness to every game right now. It's like it's not even happening judging by some of these replies. Almost seems like a coping mechanism and method of self preservation until we finally see the back of him.

Slating others for not recalling the past whilst actively erasing the present in real time is pretty amusing.
I think the two groups discussing view our football differently, quality or entertainment. But the discussion tends to unfold like the two are one and the same thing.

My opinion is that the quality of our football is at is lowest since SAF retired but it can be entertaining at times, under LvG our quality was better but made my eyes bleed watching it. Which is better? Depends on what you find more important I guess.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
From least worst to worst:

1. LVG
2. Moyes

3. Mourinho

At least the former two weren't actively trying to sabotage for the club. This despicable prick is just interested in the paycheck.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This was easily as bad as City and Liverpool games under Moyes. We looked like a League Two team.

Minimalist

Anybody who suggests this isn't worse than Moyes/LVG is just being stubborn now.

Witchking

Expected. A lot of fans were not happy including me when he came to United. He needs to go.

Nikelesh Reddy

Seriously? Can you explain how it's not the case.

We're lifeless, listless, dire.
Who cares which is worse?The fact of the matter is that our performances are simply not good enough and we are clearly regressing rather than progressing in the managers 3rd season.I don’t care which was worse,this is simply not good enough and unless a Mourinho wins the CL,he should be gone next summer....

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I never expected anything from Moyes, I knew he was complete rubbish and I was angry with him for destroying SAF's legacy in the space of a few months. I hate him for the disrespect he showed the club.

I found LvG likeable but I expected so much more from him, so he left me disappointed, more than anything.

I lost all respect for Jose, after his antics at Madrid and his final season at Chelsea. I accepted that he was the best option for us and I really believed that his respect for SAF would spur him on to try to create a similar legacy. Turns out he's still the same old cnut, mixture of Moyes's and LvG's very worst bits.