Are pundits and fans exaggerating how bad we've been?

tomaldinho1

No, we've been bloody awful.

How many teams have come OT and been the better side?

It's mental
That’s been happening for years though. We haven’t had a midfield that could control a game since LVG and that was hardly exciting times given how rigid he was/personnel were average. That’s my biggest hope with ETH and probably the hardest thing to coach, building play through the middle and not just lumping it long or going wide every time.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I think recent performances have been predictable since the last international break. We have major issues to address, no doubt about it but Neville reacted exactly like this in Ole’s first season. Talking about the players in the same way at the end of that season when everything petered out. We are a long way off where we need to be but I don’t think it’s quite the drama Neville likes to paint every other year.

daveskimufc

No.
If our opponents had strikers who could hit a barn door we would have shipped far more goals and lost far more games. Watching our games and how we play I’m actually amazed that we are still top 6. Our midfield is dominated game after game after game. I remember specifically watching villa this season and watching a player I’d never heard of (Samson?) a kid with just a handful of games (Ramsey) and Douglas luiz stroll right through again and again.

Kag

Probably not, but it’s fair to say that the difference in coverage between United and, let’s say, Spurs and Arsenal, is markedly different. You would think they were actually doing well.

Yet the reality is that we’ve had the worst season in living memory, one in which it’s going to be almost impossible to match, and we’ve still lost fewer games than both teams, and are out of the top four in light of a terrible run towards the back end of the season.

We’re shite - really, really shite, but I expect to see an improvement, even if the club continue to mess around in the transfer market.

sparx99

That's what I'm saying, everything with United is exaggerated to an unbelievable level.

I think the team is awful but the level around us isn't much better with the exception of two teams and that's with all the players missing, having an interim manager, a toxic dressing room and a bad board.
We are terrible but it’s also exaggerated. Chelsea finished 10th a few years back and didn’t get this level of criticism.

However, I think the expectations for Utd are higher and the scrutiny will always be more dramatic.

I think as well it’s that even when we do get results there is so much from our performances that is just shocking. We still have talented players but the collective is severely lacking and as such we don’t look like a functioning football team.

sparx99

No, we’ve been abject, but I do think some of the criticism lacks context. Greenwood’s situation, which we were obviously unprepared for, has left us absolutely toothless in attack. In addition, Rashford looks like he’s lost interest in football meaning we’re relying on an unporoven youngster and Sancho who’s still settling in to support a still brilliant but ageing Ronaldo. Considering how disjointed our team was before January, Greenwood being exiled was pretty much the final nail in the coffin.
Even beyond the footballing side of things the Greenwood situation must have impacted the dressing room. I’m sure he had friends and no matter what he’s done it’s hard not to mourn the loss of your mate. If one of my friends committed a crime like Mason I’d still be upset about having to cut them off.

AndySmith1990

I actually don't understand how we're 6th. We don't seem to get punished by teams nearly as much as we should given how often we get outplayed.

Flexdegea

We are bad but It's a mixture of ABU and our own ex players wallowing in we can't be this bad we won everything before.

Compare the takes on arsenal and spurs compared to us when we not far behind and you see the contrasting differences. Conte apparently doing this cracking job why losing more games, barely registering any shots with Kane and son, and dropping behind arsenal again after being in a commanding position.

Josep Dowling

The table doesn’t lie. We have been shocking all season but 6th, and only a few points away from Spurs and Arsenal. The narrative on those two clubs is Conte has turned Spurs around, and Arteta is the second coming of Pep. The media sets United standards high but it’s boring to hear how rubbish we are when our success is now over 10 years ago.
I’ve had an Arsenal fan tell me we are in turmoil yet they may still qualify for Europa League and finish one place above us in the league. It’s crazy how much media narrative influences fans. United aren’t that bad.

A players gave up because the season was written off in January by the board. Bought in an interim manager with the intention of him coming in as an adviser. And had they tried to buy a DM to shore up midfield we could have easily got top 4 and may have progressed in Europe. They can’t even use the excuse that no one was available when Bruno went to Newcastle.

Bestietom

Fergie always said you must have a good spine.
Goalkeeper, CBs, Midfield, and CF. Then your half way there.

Bestietom

The gap between us and the top 2 is massive, and will take 2 or 3 transfer windows to put right.
Liverpool and City just toyed with us when we met this season.

wolvored

First you have to look who Utd are. Still the biggest supported club in the country, so pundits know if they talk about Utd they get noticed. If they exaggerate anything they get noticed more. T V love this so they encourage this as well.
Saying that we are an awful team, so they cant say any different really, only exaggerate it.

jesperjaap

The PL is still weak below the top 2, no matter what Chelsea has done in Europe last season, it hasn't translated into league performances.
Kinda like Villareal being Europa League champions but still completely wank in the spanish league but to a lesser degre than Chelsea. No contradiction whatsoever, just "discussing" with a PL fan who obviously couldn't bear having it not worshipped.
Not at all there are cycles and periods where certain leagues are more dominant than others, going right back to the late 80s and early 90s where Serie A was a long way a head of other leagues and SPanish football has been too....I have always loved our league and this club but I am not blind sided and would never claim we are the biggest side in the world nor rarely have we been the best league though we have been the most excitign to watch

I think there have only ben two brief periods where the premiership has stood above the others and one of them has been the last couple of seasons. A lot of that is to do with the moeny in our league and financial struggles of others. I think if you look around Europe the elite sides are actually weaker than they have been for some time, where as in our league as you point out the top two areral elite sides currently, but to dismiss what is going on below that with several sides doing well in Europe and fighting for the top four up until recently and a number of sides furthr down the table that play good football. our legaue is far more tactically aware, technical and organised than it has been for a long time.......that is one of the sickeners, we are one of the few sides in the league that arent these things, despite being the biggest team in it

OL29

Even beyond the footballing side of things the Greenwood situation must have impacted the dressing room. I’m sure he had friends and no matter what he’s done it’s hard not to mourn the loss of your mate. If one of my friends committed a crime like Mason I’d still be upset about having to cut them off.
That’s a good point too.

RedMilo

No - this is the worst Utd team Ive ever seen - no fight, no pride, no team ethics - bunch of individual selfish wankers. In hindsight, there was no value in getting rid of Ole mid-season, with no plan in place. If nothing else the players liked Ole, whereas you feel Ralf has been undermined at every turn, which shows you the type of players we have in the building. Need EtH to come in with a clear plan/identity and to build a team over the long term, suspect over 90% of these players wont be here in 3 years time.

ryansgirl

Fergie always said you must have a good spine.
Goalkeeper, CBs, Midfield, and CF. Then your half way there.
Absolutely. Build from the back. I know it`s a different sporting code but I`ve been watching my NBA team Boston Celtics go from a team that looked mediocre for too much of the regular season to one that in the latter part of the regular season shocked opponents with their unrelenting defensive play.
Boston recently swept the `superstar team` of the Brooklyn Nets by doing the same and thereby freeing up the playmakers to take advantage of the stifled opposition.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We are terrible but it’s also exaggerated. Chelsea finished 10th a few years back and didn’t get this level of criticism.

However, I think the expectations for Utd are higher and the scrutiny will always be more dramatic.

I think as well it’s that even when we do get results there is so much from our performances that is just shocking. We still have talented players but the collective is severely lacking and as such we don’t look like a functioning football team.
We were utterly poor that year with some truly unconvincing performances however we were never guilty of not trying. It’s definitely not acceptable to have 30% possession and 4 shots at home to anyone. At the end, results do matter more but your not Burnley, your United and you have standards that must be met.

Idxomer

See, we aren't that bad.

This Brentford team spanked Chelsea a few weeks back.

croadyman

No - this is the worst Utd team Ive ever seen - no fight, no pride, no team ethics - bunch of individual selfish wankers. In hindsight, there was no value in getting rid of Ole mid-season, with no plan in place. If nothing else the players liked Ole, whereas you feel Ralf has been undermined at every turn, which shows you the type of players we have in the building. Need EtH to come in with a clear plan/identity and to build a team over the long term, suspect over 90% of these players wont be here in 3 years time.
Yeah Erik needs to be utterly ruthless