Are Spurs in a bit of a mess?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Romero is a good start. Need one more CB for sure. Reguilon, Romero, CB, Aurier
Isn't bad for a top 7 team.

Hojberg, Ndombele, Le Celso, Son, new winger and a new striker. (Assuming Kane leaves)

Need 3 more signings.
a new striker should be signed regardless of Kane leaving. Nuno should really target Raul from wolves. Ings too

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Looks like they are doing the rebuild that needed to happen when Pochettino said it needed to happen, better late than never I guess.

Midfield looks ok I guess, just need to move Sissoko, past it, and Winks, stalled and never really improved his game, neither good enough if they want top four. Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Skipp the new look midfield? Im assuming Alderweireld is going and one of either Dier or Sanchez, they brought in Rodon last season, Romero looks almost done deal, and Kounde a maybe. Whatever happened to that Japanese international they were a shoe in for?

Spurs seem to be in for Ings. Ings with his injury history and at 29 should be cheap, what 1 year left on his contract? But they will need more than just Ings up front with Kane departing.
Takehiro Tomiyasu suffered an ankle injury but apparently were still in for him.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I honestly know not one Spurs fan who expects us to win the league, not one :lol: .
Yeah, he's a bit thick I reckon. Honestly never had him down as that before. Usually quite rational and reasonable.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Midfield looks ok I guess, just need to move Sissoko, past it, and Winks, stalled and never really improved his game, neither good enough if they want top four. Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso, Skipp the new look midfield? Im assuming Alderweireld is going and one of either Dier or Sanchez, they brought in Rodon last season, Romero looks almost done deal, and Kounde a maybe. Whatever happened to that Japanese international they were a shoe in for?
I think midfield remains a pretty big weakness. N'Dombele is very talented but just not built for the PL. Its just such a massive disadvantage in the PL if you're getting outworked in midfield. I don't know whether its a mental or physical thing with him (or both) but his work rate is really shit and his stamina is awful. He only completed 90 minutes six times in the league last year. You just can't have that from one of your central midfielders. Lo Celso seems completely unreliable from a health standpoint. Hojbjerg is a workhorse but nothing else really. Skipp seems promising but you can't expect too much from a kid that age in his first real taste of the league.

Spurs' biggest weakness last year was that they absolutely could not maintain possession or progress the ball against any opponent that really tried to press them. Part of that was Mourinho's shit tactics but a big part of it is just not having enough quality in midfield or ballplayers in central defense. I don't really see the new additions as changing that dynamic very much, unless Skipp makes a huge leap and turns into a reliable starter and fulcrum for them. Nuno is also definitely not the manager to come up with a bunch of creative solutions to allow his side to play with the ball more.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
a new striker should be signed regardless of Kane leaving. Nuno should really target Raul from wolves. Ings too
Ings should be cheap, 29, history of injuries, 1 year left on his contract. Has apparently refused to sign an extension so time to cash in on him.

Dont think they would sign Raul and Ings, a 29 and 30 yo? It's either some play time for their best academy striker in the twiddly winks conference league. Or they will take a gamble and splash some cash on an upcoming young striker to play in said conference league.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think midfield remains a pretty big weakness. N'Dombele is very talented but just not built for the PL. Its just such a massive disadvantage in the PL if you're getting outworked in midfield. I don't know whether its a mental or physical thing with him (or both) but his work rate is really shit and his stamina is awful. He only completed 90 minutes six times in the league last year. You just can't have that from one of your central midfielders. Lo Celso seems completely unreliable from a health standpoint. Hojbjerg is a workhorse but nothing else really. Skipp seems promising but you can't expect too much from a kid that age in his first real taste of the league.

Spurs' biggest weakness last year was that they absolutely could not maintain possession or progress the ball against any opponent that really tried to press them. Part of that was Mourinho's shit tactics but a big part of it is just not having enough quality in midfield or ballplayers in central defense. I don't really see the new additions as changing that dynamic very much, unless Skipp makes a huge leap and turns into a reliable starter and fulcrum for them. Nuno is also definitely not the manager to come up with a bunch of creative solutions to allow his side to play with the ball more.
From what I have seen his work rate on the ball is fine. But his work rate off the ball is very poor, maybe he needs to play in behind the striker. Alli hasnt exactly been setting the world on fire in that position and there is a lot less defensive responsibility.

Skipp by all accounts did great on loan. He only has to play better than Winks or an ageing Sissoko to get a spot in that midfield. Same goes for Lo Celso, just needs to stay fit and he is an automatic pick over Sissoko, Winks. Although both those players could be gone come the end of the xfer window anyway.

Hojbjerg holds that midfield together, been a very good signing for them imo. Unglamorous work and will not be on any highlight reels on youtube. But every team needs that type of combative player in midfield.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That’s fine to a a point but if you harbour ambitions of winning top honours you’ve shackled yourself. Unless city or someone pay a mad price
I think Spurs get a pretty shit time, and so does levy. We have helped develop a lot of talent over the recent past Berbatov, Carrick, Modric, Bale, Walker, Eriksen, Kane. You cant expect us to develop these players, give them improved contracts then just turn round and say, "You wanna leave on your terms? Sure no problem off you go". Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Ronaldo wanna go a year before he was sold?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think Spurs get a pretty shit time, and so does levy. We have helped develop a lot of talent over the recent past Berbatov, Carrick, Modric, Bale, Walker, Eriksen, Kane. You cant expect us to develop these players, give them improved contracts then just turn round and say, "You wanna leave on your terms? Sure no problem off you go". Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Ronaldo wanna go a year before he was sold?
Yes but we still let him go after a gentleman’s agreement for one more year.
look no disrespect but Spurs are a selling club so the likes of Kane tying himself to a contract the length of the one he signed without a getout is just silliness ness on his part, not Spurs

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Gil and Romero could be two very good signings based on my in depth knowledge from youtube and Copa commentary respectively

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ings should be cheap, 29, history of injuries, 1 year left on his contract. Has apparently refused to sign an extension so time to cash in on him.

Dont think they would sign Raul and Ings, a 29 and 30 yo? It's either some play time for their best academy striker in the twiddly winks conference league. Or they will take a gamble and splash some cash on an upcoming young striker to play in said conference league.
Right now even with Kane you are a striker short. Plus a winger short. Lose Kane you need to replace him with 2 strikers to share the work load imo