Are Spurs in a bit of a mess?

TheReligion

Abusive
- Big stadium to pay for.
- No match day revenue.
- No NFL or planned events.
- No manager and having to pay out Jose.
- Potentially no top 4 with no European football.
- Massive investment needed in the squad.
- Son and Kane wobbling about staying on.
- Failed Bale experiment which had cost a fortune.

It seems Spurs really needed the ESL as much as any of the Spanish and Italian clubs, if not more.

Where do they go from here?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we ban Amadaeus if they even mention Poch in this thread? Please?

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Spurs tried to take the step up and it turns out the timing was horrible. I know we take the piss and stuff but would’ve been good to see another genuine challenger who haven’t just bought their way to the top.

RUCK4444

Yes. Appointing Jose was mental after they saw what he did at United.

Jose's current approach is crippling to a club like Spurs which is why he's gone;
Buys shite ageing players whilst alienating the stars at the club whose value then plummets.

If Spurs lose Kane in the summer (hopefully to us) and don't adequately replace him they are firmly a mid-table side.

diarm

Has anyone heard the Jamie Redknapp voice message going around?

Says Spurs only had to pay Jose 3 or 4mil because of where they were in the table when they sacked him.

Ixion

They had two days where they were a big side and potentially on easy street forever. They're probably still in a daze.

Red_toad

Yes. Appointing Jose was mental after they saw what he did at United.

Jose's current approach is crippling to a club like Spurs which is why he's gone;
Buys shite ageing players whilst alienating the stars at the club whose value then plummets.

If Spurs lose Kane in the summer (hopefully to us) and don't adequately replace him they are firmly a mid-table side.
which people don’t age? I suppose Jesse as he’s still a young prospect at 28, but which ones did Jose buy who don’t age. I very much doubt Levi allowed him any say in transfers or looking from the outside that’s how it looks to me. Bale and a left back who Caf fans wanked over all summer and who else was Jose given? I don’t believe he wanted Bale at all.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

Says Spurs only had to pay Jose 3 or 4mil because of where they were in the table when they sacked him.
Would be interested in getting a link to this

AgentSmith

No matter how bad a mess is you’re always one step closer to the solution by removing Mourinho from the situation.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Massively screwed over by the timing of Covid/new stadium and also a gamble that didn't pay off in appointing Jose.

I dont know fecked they are but it can't be good.

RUCK4444

which people don’t age? I suppose Jesse as he’s still a young prospect at 28, but which ones did Jose buy who don’t age. I very much doubt Levi allowed him any say in transfers or looking from the outside that’s how it looks to me. Bale and a left back who Caf fans wanked over all summer and who else was Jose given? I don’t believe he wanted Bale at all.
I mean that’s his go-to strategy and that it would have crippled them going forward coupled with the way he alienates the best players at clubs.

TheReligion

Abusive
Massively screwed over by the timing of Covid/new stadium and also a gamble that didn't pay off in appointing Jose.

I dont know fecked they are but it can't be good.
It's the knock on effect too.

New coach will want new players. That means plenty of money is needed, money they don't have.. they also won't have the pull of the CL to persuade them to join..

I genuinely feel they'll have to sell some big assets this summer to fund things. And even that will be tough during COVID as people won't pay the very top prices.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's the knock on effect too.

New coach will want new players. That means plenty of money is needed, money they don't have.. they also won't have the pull of the CL to persuade them to join..

I genuinely feel they'll have to sell some big assets this summer to fund things. And even that will be tough during COVID as people won't pay the very top prices.
How many players can they sell for big money? Kane and Son. After that they dont have many valuable players.

Hulksmash

They're fine because they play in the Premier League with their huge TV Deals.

Barcelona are more of a Mess

Abraxas

They don't look to be in a good place, throw in the PR disaster to the original points made within the OP and it's a sorry tale. I think it's a combination of bad luck (covid) and awful management, because I don't think it's hindsight to suggest Jose was a very curious fit for the club and Bale was a ridiculous gamble.

I think it's redeemable, though. They need a reset in terms of management and to be prepared to suffer a few years of pain. Maybe they should cash in on a few players. The key is having the right manager to rebuild them with hungrier players.

They've still got a fantastic stadium and infrastructure.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How big is their transfer & wage budget for the next couple of years?

Spurs will need to sell their crown jewels i think, that stadium wont pay for itself.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Brexit has also affected their cheese imports, it's quite difficult getting a brie through customs these days.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I’m going to call them Super League Spurs from now on.

Just for their random inclusion in it.
It wasn't random. It's clear that they are in the top 15 of most valuable football clubs, hence their inclusion.

Player Red

I've always assumed managerial contracts had these sort of escape clauses in them. There was a reason Moyes was sacked just after we could no longer mathematically get top 4.

In this instance though I imagine it was more complicated than where the were sitting in the table at the time. You could get sacked after the first game of the season if you were sitting bottom? Could be tied to position in table after number of fixtures played etc...