Are Spurs in a bit of a mess?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
spurs were the laughing stock of two leagues at once. for that reason alone, i don’t think the european super league can be considered a failure.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What’s that got to do with it? It’s Spurs ffs.
Eh, everything? This Super League group of clubs wasn't just determined on history or trophy cabinets but global appeal and finances I reckon.

RUCK4444

Eh, everything? This Super League group of clubs wasn't just determined on history or trophy cabinets but global appeal and finances I reckon.
It was just the ‘top six’ wasn’t it, based on past and present status in the game.

Not sure it was based on wealth of the clubs. That’s not how I read it anyway, could be wrong.

Red_toad

The caf led me to believe that Spurs are a really well ran club.
Didn't you realise once Martial went round their spectacular training facilities and still decided not the join their revolution, then it was a a lie.

hungrywing

spurs were the laughing stock of two leagues at once. for that reason alone, i don’t think the european super league can be considered a failure.
esl brought this poster out of mothballs. for that reason alone, i don't think the european super league can be considered a failure.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
esl brought this poster out of mothballs. for that reason alone, i don't think the european super league can be considered a failure.
i’ve got a bit more time on my hands now after resigning at the end of the year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
- No manager and having to pay out Jose.
^How much was the payout? I thought it wasn't that much as he was sacked at a position of 6th which was a stipulation in the contract or something. That's according to a leaked Jaimie Redknapp voice note :lol:

- Potentially no top 4 with no European football.
^ They will prob scrape Europa

- Massive investment needed in the squad.
^ Wouldn't say massive, I think they have some very good players that a manager can get much better out of than Jose ever did.

- Son and Kane wobbling about staying on.
^ Kane is stuck on a long term deal, that's his problem more than Spurs.

- Failed Bale experiment which had cost a fortune.
^ They are only paying something like 40% of his wages I think

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What does this often repeated meme mean? I am specially curious since I am from India!
A poster by the name of Glaston Spur goes to India whenever Tottenham aren't doing well and immediately rushes back when they win a game to chat shit.

dal

Can’t they get one of the retro German managers like the one from rb Leipzig.

They should never have gotten rid of Poch, probably one of the demon headmasters more stupid decisions and then to go and replace him with Mourinho.

I think it was a bit of a panic from a guy who normally gets most things spot on.

Siorac

What’s that got to do with it? It’s Spurs ffs.
That was literally the only point of the Super League: invite the most financially valuable clubs. Sporting achievement didn't matter one bit.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
How big is their transfer & wage budget for the next couple of years?
I guess that depends on how much clubs are willing to pay for Kane and Son. The oil clubs still have big money, PSG could easily shell out a good amount for Kane so he can reunite with Pochettino. Same for City, Pep could have his very own Harry Kane team. City are great as is, add Kane to that team and it is next level stuff. I do not see him hanging around for the next managers 'project'.

I feel as long as Spurs invest the money in young, hungry, up and coming players, think Eriksen, id say they will be fine. Maybe a few years hovering around EL places whilst those players find their feet and mature.

I still think Spurs are a good place for up and coming top young talent. Do you go and sit on the bench at Barca? Or go get game time and a real chance of walking into the starting 11 at somewhere like Spurs for a little less money? Can always make that move later if the giants of world football come calling.

::sonny::

They sacked Mou because of money of the super ridiculous league

Now they are desperate, literally

CG1010

The lesser spotted Glaston is known to frequent there.
A poster by the name of Glaston Spur goes to India whenever Tottenham aren't doing well and immediately rushes back when they win a game to chat shit.
Oh I remember Glaston.. he did used to post shit. Didn't he used to claim that Spurs is a bigger club than United.

crossy1686

career ending
They're going to go the way of Arsenal. The summer they decided not to sign anyone and build a cheese room was the moment they folded on any ambition to catch the top 2

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
- Big stadium to pay for.
- No match day revenue.
- No NFL or planned events.
- No manager and having to pay out Jose.
- Potentially no top 4 with no European football.
- Massive investment needed in the squad.
- Son and Kane wobbling about staying on.
- Failed Bale experiment which had cost a fortune.

It seems Spurs really needed the ESL as much as any of the Spanish and Italian clubs, if not more.

Where do they go from here?
Yes I think we are - what is for certain is that Levy needs to get the next managerial appointment right otherwise we are in for maybe 3/4 years of rebuilding and if that happens I can't expect Kane to stick around. I don't think the Bale experience has had a proper chance and a change of manager who is willing to play him might turn it around - when he actually started in the last few months he has generally been very good for us but Jose just dumped him. It's clear the club are in a financial pickle right now but perhaps not as bad as the Spanish clubs.

lysglimt

Scout
Spurs' main problem as I have pointed out before - you look at the Spurs-squad and you wonder - which players do I sell to raise money ?

And then you look at the defenders - knowing you need to replace at least 2 of them - quite possibly 3. You look at their central midfield with Ndombele and Hojbjerg which is ok - but not good enough to compete with the best, and you have Bergwijn, Moura and Lamela as attacking midfielders - neither is good enough - and neither has a big sell-on value

I know you dont need 11 quality players to do well in a league - but realistically you need 7-8 of them, and 3-4 who can do a decent job - but when you have 3-4 players who are good enough and 7-8 who at best can do a decent job, you can't expect to do really well.

diarm

I don't disagree that Spurs are clowns. Far from it.

But in this particular instance, having clauses to protect them from huge payoffs in case of poor performance is surely a good thing?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
We will be fine, COVID certainly fecked up our plans that for sure but the stadium debt is over will just continue to be restructured going forward. I doubt Levy didn't have a clause to stop a massive pay-out in sacking Jose, the clause probably expired if Jose one something hence his sacking. We are certainly in a bit of a shit spot, but I don't think we are anywhere near ruination, we are way safe in terms of FFP rules and if needs be money can be put in, ENIC wont want 20 years of planning and work to dissipate from them.

Looking forward to tonight's game and hopefully we will see a totally different style of play under Mason/Powell, we don't have that bad a squad of players they are simply under performing, on wards and upwards.

RUCK4444

That was literally the only point of the Super League: invite the most financially valuable clubs. Sporting achievement didn't matter one bit.
Really? I thought it was more about the ‘top clubs’ in each league.

I mean are the Milan clubs financially sound? They could be, I dunno tbh.

Siorac

Really? I thought it was more about the ‘top clubs’ in each league.

I mean are the Milan clubs financially sound? They could be, I dunno tbh.
Check out the Deloitte Money League 2021. Spoiler alert: out of the top 14 clubs of the list, 11 were in the SL. The other three were Borussia Dortmund, Bayern München, and PSG, and all three would have been welcomed with open arms.

AC Milan is a bit of an exception, admittedly, but they play in a big stadium and have a great 'brand'.

RUCK4444

Check out the Deloitte Money League 2021. Spoiler alert: out of the top 14 clubs of the list, 11 were in the SL. The other three were Borussia Dortmund, Bayern München, and PSG, and all three would have been welcomed with open arms.

AC Milan is a bit of an exception, admittedly, but they play in a big stadium and have a great 'brand'.
Yeah see I thought it was more about the ‘brand’ and following the clubs had.

Which is why I was surprised with Spurs.

I don’t get why it’s purely on the wealth of a club, I mean they were all doing it to become crazy rich anyway.
The clubs with biggest following (and therefore potential viewers of the SL) I would have expected them to target.

This thing makes less sense by the day.

Classical Mechanic

Spurs' main problem as I have pointed out before - you look at the Spurs-squad and you wonder - which players do I sell to raise money ?

And then you look at the defenders - knowing you need to replace at least 2 of them - quite possibly 3. You look at their central midfield with Ndombele and Hojbjerg which is ok - but not good enough to compete with the best, and you have Bergwijn, Moura and Lamela as attacking midfielders - neither is good enough - and neither has a big sell-on value

I know you dont need 11 quality players to do well in a league - but realistically you need 7-8 of them, and 3-4 who can do a decent job - but when you have 3-4 players who are good enough and 7-8 who at best can do a decent job, you can't expect to do really well.
They need to sell Son and Kane for big money and spend wisely. Much easier said than done of course.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I feel like Kane should have the power to hand pick the next guy at this point.

Nuno would be a good move for them imo

El Zoido

No idea if this works. Looks like it did.
If he had a clause based on league position, it stands to reason there’d be a trophy clause in there too. ie. it would cost them more to sack him if he’d won a trophy.

tomaldinho1

I honestly think he should face the most scorn regarding this whole ESL debacle.

Glazers, Kroenke, Roman, Mr. Sheikh, Henry are all foreign businessmen with no ties to their clubs, aside from it being their business. They are leeches but Levy is a lifelong Spurs fan, he grew up in London, to think he actually signed off on the ESL is more mind boggling to me than all the others. Spurs are, according to Swiss Ramble, the most indebted club in Europe and there'll be no CL money next season for them either & they've just paid off Mou.

monosierra

I honestly think he should face the most scorn regarding this whole ESL debacle.

Glazers, Kroenke, Roman, Mr. Sheikh, Henry are all foreign businessmen with no ties to their clubs, aside from it being their business. They are leeches but Levy is a lifelong Spurs fan, he grew up in London, to think he actually signed off on the ESL is more mind boggling to me than all the others. Spurs are, according to Swiss Ramble, the most indebted club in Europe and there'll be no CL money next season for them either & they've just paid off Mou.
Well it made sense from a certain point of view, given Spurs' position in the Big Six is the most tenuous. Had the ESL gone ahead, they would no longer fear not making European football and will be in a better position to market themselves, not to mention enjoy the benefits of shared revenue, salary cap, and other financial limits that the FT article described. As one of the six, any detrimental effect their decision would have had on the League would be shared with the other five clubs - guilt alleviated.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

No idea if this works. Looks like it did.
That would be quite a bad deal to make on Mourinho's part unless his ego made him think there's no way he'd be outside the top 6 with Kane & Son. :confused:

tomaldinho1

Well it made sense from a certain point of view, given Spurs' position in the Big Six is the most tenuous. Had the ESL gone ahead, they would no longer fear not making European football and will be in a better position to market themselves, not to mention enjoy the benefits of shared revenue, salary cap, and other financial limits that the FT article described.
Yes, it made financial sense for all of them, of course, but obviously that isn't the issue here.