Are Spurs the dirtiest club in the league?

Sanchez7

Poor challenge from Son but it would have been a non event had it not resulted in that horrific injury. Wishing a speedy recovery to Gomes.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Dirtiest team in the league. When things are not going their way they go rogue, by instruction no doubt. Scumbags.

Imran Mamdani

This is ridiculous. People on here actually defending and sympathising with Son? really?

I mean, the guy cleared rash tackled him with intent. Gomez got wiped out brutally whether he fecking meant it or not and the fact is it resulted in the horrible atrocious injury.

On top of that, bloody spurs are known to be playing a dirty game.

I For one have absolutely no sympathy for anyone in the sours dug out. The guy should be fined and banned.

I mean TF y’all going on about oh he didn’t mean it, or it would have been a non event if nothing happened. Wake up ya shites - it happened and Most likely will result in the end of Gomezs career.

Seriously?!

lysglimt

Scout
Son isn't a dirty player - but what he did could potentially ruin Gomes' career. Even if it was possible, to overturn that decision would be to spit in Gomes' face. Son deserved the red card and the 3 match suspension he will get.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I mean TF y’all going on about oh he didn’t mean it, or it would have been a non event if nothing happened. Wake up ya shites - it happened and Most likely will result in the end of Gomezs career.

Seriously?!
Well said. The arguments that went on in the last 2 pages are baffling!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Dirtiest team in the league. When things are not going their way they go rogue, by instruction no doubt. Scumbags.

A) We were in the lead when this tackle happened.

B) Do you genuinely think Pochettino is deliberately instructing players to fly in to bad tackles when we’re losing?

Giggsy9099

Son of a Biatch. That was horrible. Hope Gomes recovers fully from it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Son isn't a dirty player - but what he did could potentially ruin Gomes' career. Even if it was possible, to overturn that decision would be to spit in Gomes' face. Son deserved the red card and the 3 match suspension he will get.

Except this is bullshit because Son’s tackle didn’t cause the injury. It was a piece of terrible luck in the collision with Aurier which caused it.

Son made a tackle you see every week. Punishing him because Gomes got hurt is ludicrous, and no it wouldn’t be spitting in his face, it would be accepting that in a contact sport bad injuries can happen and aren’t always someone’s fault.

Son clearly felt awful and was in bits. He hasn’t intended anything like this. Everybody who has played football at any level has made a bad tackle which in a freak incident could lead to a horrible injury. What happened to Gomes was incredibly unlucky, people are reacting like Son has gone in knee high and studs up. He doesn’t deserve the same ban as players get for genuinely horrible, malicious tackles.

Gloccamora

Except this is bullshit because Son’s tackle didn’t cause the injury. It was a piece of terrible luck in the collision with Aurier which caused it.

Son made a tackle you see every week. Punishing him because Gomes got hurt is ludicrous, and no it wouldn’t be spitting in his face, it would be accepting that in a contact sport bad injuries can happen and aren’t always someone’s fault.

Son clearly felt awful and was in bits. He hasn’t intended anything like this. Everybody who has played football at any level has made a bad tackle which in a freak incident could lead to a horrible injury. What happened to Gomes was incredibly unlucky, people are reacting like Son has gone in knee high and studs up. He doesn’t deserve the same ban as players get for genuinely horrible, malicious tackles.
Agreed. It was one if those terrible piece of luck.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
That’s never a red come on. It’s ac yellow at most. You can’t upgrade a foul because an unfortunate injury comes from it. You need to treat fouls & tackles the same, & not upgrade it to a red because someone gets injured
This, the tackle in and of itself is never a red, and you cannot just upgrade to a red because an injury came out of it. That would lead to incredibly stupid scenarios like getting sent off for a shirt pull because the player slipped and fractured his ankle after said shirt pull. Or an accidental swinging arm broke someones nose, straight red, quite often you have to put your arms out to balance yourself. Cannot be sending people off for these sorts of incidents. Whether a challenge results in an injury or not is not relevant to adjudicating whether a card is being produced.

At the end of the day it's a contact sport, any time you have players running into each other at speed there is a risk of injury. players know this, Im sure if you asked Gomez in the reverse scenario he would agree that you take one for the team if a player is running past you. City are masters of this.

There are worse tackles in games every week than Sons, Sons tackle didnt even break his ankle, it was his off balance collision with Aurier. Hell even in that game there was a worse tackle than Sons, NDombele's tackle was much worse. If you are handing out a red for Sons tackle than how is NDombele's not a red?

Rafaeldagold

This is ridiculous. People on here actually defending and sympathising with Son? really?

I mean, the guy cleared rash tackled him with intent. Gomez got wiped out brutally whether he fecking meant it or not and the fact is it resulted in the horrible atrocious injury.

On top of that, bloody spurs are known to be playing a dirty game.

I For one have absolutely no sympathy for anyone in the sours dug out. The guy should be fined and banned.

Seriously?!
Yes seriously. You’re being ridiculous.

It was at most a yellow card offence. You can’t upgrade a foul because an unfortunate injury arises from it. You need to look at the foul/tackle in isolation & that’s it. Even if you think Spurs are dirty Son isn’t one of the main culprits anyway.

You’re lying to yourself if you look at that tackle & think it’s a red

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Son didn’t break the leg but his tackle caused the injury. Because of his tackle, Gomes crashed into Aurier who then stamped on the ankle (maybe accidentally). In isolation it wasn’t a red card worthy but not sure if we can view this incident in isolation.

Rafaeldagold

Son didn’t break the leg but his tackle caused the injury. Because of his tackle, Gomes crashed into Aurier who then stamped on the ankle (maybe accidentally). In isolation it wasn’t a red card worthy but not sure if we can view this incident in isolation.
So it’s not a red then.

Needham

Not remotely a red. And if VAR now retroactively imposes a morality clause based on outcomes, it's like AI has taken over the foundations of football refereeing.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Not remotely a red. And if VAR now retroactively imposes a morality clause based on outcomes, it's like AI has taken over the foundations of football refereeing.
Haha I welcome our robot overlords.

I dont think Son was in any state to continue playing tbf, red probably did him a favour. But I agree never a red.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Punish the tackle, not the result of the tackle. Son basically trips him. This was not a dangerous tackle. 999/1000 the guy just falls over and everyone gets on with it...

Needham

Dembele and Rose have been nasty in the past but Dembele's gone and Rose is going. Alli has been neutered while Son is a pussy cat, Eriksen a north London liberal and Harry Kane is tamely modeling himself on Roy Rovers. Otherwise Arsenal for me were and have been the most obnoxiously filthy cnuts over the last 12 - 18 months.

roonster09

Scout

Not a red card tackle for me but 100% a shithouse way to bring a player down on the break with zero chance of winning the ball.
How is Son's challenge not the cause? He didn't break the leg but he played big part for sure. His foul from behind caused that injury, Gomes lost his balance and then crashed into Aurier who also made a strong tackle.

Just as an example, if a player pushes other player, its barely a yellow card worthy but if a player pushes other player to the post, which causes head injury, then surely it's considered dangerous play and worth more than just a foul?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just as an example, if a player pushes other player, its barely a yellow card worthy but if a player pushes other player to the post, which causes head injury, then surely it's considered dangerous play and worth more than just a foul?
I remember so clearly being livid that Dries Mertens only got a yellow card for a situation very similar to what you describe.

England were playing their final world cup warm up friendly against Belgium. Cahill was defending a ball over the top, shepherding it back to Joe Hart when the attacker (Mertens) gave him a blatant two handed shove in the back, causing him to collide with Hart. The ball fell loose and Mertens put it in the empty net. The ref immediately booked Mertens and disallowed the goal.

Should it have been a red? The other England CB that night (Lescott) said "that was endangering an opponent far worse than most two footed tackles" and I agree him him.

Cahill's jaw was broken and he missed the world cup.

roonster09

Scout
I remember so clearly being livid that Dries Mertens only got a yellow card for a situation very similar to what you describe.

England were playing their final world cup warm up friendly against Belgium. Cahill was defending a ball over the top, shepherding it back to Joe Hart when the attacker (Mertens) gave him a blatant two handed shove in the back, causing him to collide with Hart. The ball fell loose and Mertens put it in the empty net. The ref immediately booked Mertens and disallowed the goal.

Should it have been a red? The other England CB that night (Lescott) said "that was endangering an opponent far worse than most two footed tackles" and I agree him him.

Cahill's jaw was broken and he missed the world cup.
Yeah, so going by this logic in this thread, it wasn't Merten's mistake. He just pushed him which is very common on the pitch, it was Joe Hart who injured Cahill. Yellow was very harsh.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe I need to see it again (only seen it once), but wasn't it Aurier who caused the injury by going into Gomes without control?

Everyone seems to be discussing Son, but I thought it was Aurier's challenge that did the damage...

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
A) We were in the lead when this tackle happened.

B) Do you genuinely think Pochettino is deliberately instructing players to fly in to bad tackles when we’re losing?
I'm not too sure. I mean do you remember the game against Chelsea when you were losing the title to Leicester? I'm not sure if it was just players just getting out of their way to play like that. In general I think the aggressiveness you play with is very much down to the manager and systematic fouling spread among the team is big part of it.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I'm not too sure. I mean do you remember the game against Chelsea when you were losing the title to Leicester? I'm not sure if it was just players just getting out of their way to play like that. In general I think the aggressiveness you play with is very much down to the manager and systematic fouling spread among the team is big part of it.
I don't watch Spurs games regularly so can't comment on how dirty they are in general, but I remember that 2016 match when they were chasing Leicester and needed to keep winning to stay in the race they drew at the Bridge and after surrendering a two goal lead and it turned ugly. That's the game Clattenburg later talked about.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42219327
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg says he "allowed Tottenham to self-destruct" when he refereed the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in May 2016 as Spurs conceded the title to Leicester.

Spurs needed to beat Chelsea to retain any hope of winning the league.

Clattenburg says he "went in with a gameplan" so he could not be blamed by Tottenham for losing the title.

He booked nine Spurs players in the bad-tempered match, but now says he could have sent off three players.

Chelsea and Tottenham received record fines from the Football Association following the game, while Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele was banned for six games for violent conduct against Chelsea's Diego Costa.

Speaking to NBC's Men in Blazers podcast, he said: "I allowed them [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went: 'Tottenham lost the title.'

"If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? 'Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title.' It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title."

Asked if he helped to "script" the game, he replied: "I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

"Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

"But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title."

fergieisold

How is Son's challenge not the cause? He didn't break the leg but he played big part for sure. His foul from behind caused that injury, Gomes lost his balance and then crashed into Aurier who also made a strong tackle.

He just tripped him really, doesn't look like a red to me. And he didn't cause the break anyway it was Aurier?

roonster09

Scout
He just tripped him really, doesn't look like a red to me. And he didn't cause the break anyway it was Aurier?
Yeah, in my example, Player didn't cause the head injury, it was the post.

Rafaeldagold

You’re missing the point that you can’t go upgrading punishments for innocuous fouls just because it results in a serious injury. You need to treat every foul in isolation on its own individual merits.

Otherwise you could give reds for every foul in the future because it could lead to a serious injury. It’s ridiculous. Every match will be abandoned at 10 mins due to too many players being sent off.

roonster09

Scout
You’re missing the point that you can’t go upgrading punishments for innocuous fouls just because it results in a serious injury. You need to treat every foul in isolation on its own individual merits.

Otherwise you could give reds for every foul in the future because it could lead to a serious injury. It’s ridiculous. Every match will be abandoned at 10 mins due to too many players being sent off.
No, red card should be given for the deliberate fouls which leads to serious injuries. It wasn't just a 50-50 ball where player broke his ankle like Valencia did, Son clearly tripped him which caused this injury. He was the cause for the injury.

Rafaeldagold

No, red card should be given for the deliberate fouls which leads to serious injuries. It wasn't just a 50-50 ball where player broke his ankle like Valencia did, Son clearly tripped him which caused this injury. He was the cause for the injury.
So all fouls that are deliberate should be reds for them all?

How can you possibly know that for starters if it’s deliberate or not & secondly Son should get a red because his foul unfortunately leads to an injury? I don’t get it

roonster09

Scout
So all fouls that are deliberate should be reds for them all?

How can you possibly know that for starters if it’s deliberate or not & secondly Son should get a red because his foul unfortunately leads to an injury? I don’t get it
This is when you should just stop.

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, in my example, Player didn't cause the head injury, it was the post.
You can't tackle, people can die. You can't drive, people can die. Etc. This was a freak accident. Mertens pushing Cahill into a player is WAY more deliberate. How the feck can't people see that? If you send your daughter to prom,and she get's stabbed, is that your fault? Is it a womens fault for getting raped if she had a cleavage? NO. Is it Son's fault that the butterfly effect of his 'middle-of-the-park-tackle' was Final destination-ish? Come the f on... Btw, spurs are dirty and vile.

roonster09

Scout
You can't tackle, people can die. You can't drive, people can die. Etc. This was a freak accident. Mertens pushing Cahill into a player is WAY more deliberate. How the feck can't people see that? If you send your daughter to prom,and she get's stabbed, is that your fault? Is it a womens fault for getting raped if she had a cleavage? NO. Is it Son's fault that the butterfly effect of his 'middle-of-the-park-tackle' was Final destination-ish? Come the f on... Btw, spurs are dirty and vile.
Sure, all are same :houllier:

Happytom82

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sure, all are same :houllier:
No, but I painted a f'ing picture of how the world would be if your view of the butterfly-effect was logical, using the worst examples. That was because that is the easiest way to make most people,with reflective minds, see how their own logic faulters. Not for everyone though. Let's throw Son in jail as well, he clearly planned for Aurier to come in exactly like that with their twin-telepathy. Hm, where does that leave Aurier?

Rafaeldagold

This is when you should just stop.
No..because what you’re saying is illogical. Why should Son be punished just because his foul leads to an injury?

Your argument is illogical & nonsense

Football is a contact sport & unfortunately accidents happen. No way should we be wanting reds just because of the aftermath of a challenge which is nothing to do with the severity of the tackle itself

roonster09

Scout
No, but I painted a f'ing picture of how the world would be if your view of the butterfly-effect was logical, using the worst examples. That was because that is the easiest way to make most people,with reflective minds, see how their own logic faulters. Not for everyone though. Let's throw Son in jail as well, he clearly planned for Aurier to come in exactly like that with their twin-telepathy. Hm, where does that leave Aurier?
fecking hell, no one is talking about butterfly effect here, it's simple case of player deliberately fouling player which lead to serious injury. It all happened in just 1-2 seconds, not something like player tackled and then play went on for an hour and then something happened.

If you want you know the world in my view, then here it is 'I'm replying to such a dumb post', not that I would post that on caf but since you are interested in how I see the world, there you go.

roonster09

Scout
No..because what you’re saying is illogical. Why should Son be punished just because his foul leads to an injury?

Your argument is illogical & nonsense
:lol: Answer is in your post itself.

Argument is not illogical, maybe you are too thick to understand as everything is binary for you,

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's right though. The idea that if you've two identical fouls and one leads to an injury and the other doesn't, means the former gets a red and the other gets a yellow, makes no sense. Rules are rules and you can't just mess with them for different scenarios.

roonster09

Scout
He's right though. The idea that if you've two identical fouls and one leads to an injury and the other doesn't, means the former gets a red and the other gets a yellow, makes no sense. Rules are rules and you can't just mess with them for different scenarios.
2 fouls are not identical though. It shouldn't be taken in isolation. Thats why I gave example of pushing someone to the post, same foul in isolation, it's just pushing the player but it's not really same foul with context.

Rafaeldagold

You are too thick to understand anyways, just a waste of posts.
Oh dear. How can you not understand you need to treat every tackle on its individual merits and not just what happens after it?

It’s very very simple to understand