Are the lads back in training yet?

rotherham_red

It's nerve-wracking to have a big game like Spurs after the break. Sort of like getting them as the first game of the season but without any pre-season friendlies to settle the nerves. On paper we should be all over them. We were on course to batter them in March, and although they've got Kane back we've got Rashford and Pogba back. And we do look sharp in these training videos But after such a long time without football, anything can happen.

I guess one upside is that Mourinho, who has historically been such a good neutraliser of opponents' key players in big games, won't have the simple task of 'stop Bruno, stop United', which he would have in March. He'll have to contend with Bruno and Pogba together, along with Rashford who is the one of our forwards who can create attacking impetus for himself. No-one has any idea exactly how that will look, so that makes his job harder. Spurs don't really have any surprises to spring on Ole in the same way.
I wouldn't put it past the likes of Martial and Pogba to have revenge in mind. Likewise, Jose.

Definitely was an eagerly awaited match up before the enforced suspension of the season, even moreso now!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who was that kicking the shinpad at the end? I don't recognise him.

KennyBurner

Martial is going to have a field day with Pogba and Bruno behind him. He looks very sharp in training. He is always open in many situations with midfielders not good enough to find him consistently. That all changes with bruno replacing lingard/pereira. Combine that with rashford always available for the simple pass at the far post I really dont see how we dont destroy spurs in 2 weeks. Im more worried about our defense than attack which is a great sign after the past 7 years. Wish I could go to sleep and wake up on the 17th to be honest.

jamesjimmybyrondean

:nervous:I still find it hard to believe we get Bruno easily having no other clubs competing.

Too smooth, too odd.
It's the story of all our signings. No serious competition for any. Tottenham came for Bruno but backed out because 45m is too expensive for them. Man City found Maguire too expensive too. Who else came for AWB or Ighalo? James had choose between Leeds and us and that's an easy pick if you are not a Leeds fan

Acole9

Outstanding
The meltdown on Twitter over a ten second Lindelof clip in training...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The meltdown on Twitter over a ten second Lindelof clip in training...
Not surprised though, not a great look for your CB is it?

Could you imagine Vidic, Stam or even Blanc getting shoved off like that

bsCallout

I've uninstalled it. Toxic place.
Is there any studies or scientific observations as to why, presumably otherwise sane humans, behave the way they do on Twitter?

The negativity on that platform! Similar to here at times actually.

The lack of ability for people to be reasonable is disturbing. It is a shame as there are some otherwise funny tweets and interesting personalities.

Anyway that is off topic.

It is so good to see the players back in training, I'm trying hard not to be over enthusiastic, I like a lot of this team now.

Adam-Utd

Not quite the same situation as he's coming from behind him in a blindspot - anyway Torres is 6'1 and a full grown man, not an 18 year old stick thin kid :D

bsCallout

This is in training.
It does fit what we know about him anyway though.

Similar to when Jose mentioned on Sky about him being poor in the air whilst the live feed behind him shown him missing a header warming up.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
35 - 40 secs = Lindelof just doing Lindelof things. Such a weak weak (mentally and physically) footballer.

Tries to shows who's boss against a teenage Greenwood, overcommits and loses the ball :lol:
All he did was not control the ball after he got infront of greenwood. Had this been a Premier league match that ball would have been sent with the out of bounds Express far up in the stands.

But don't let that get in the way of a good story

Evans999

Premier league and championship clubs have been cleared to play friendlies providing the following.

A) Each player must travel by car
B) Only play teams within a 90 minute drive
C) Coaching staff must referee matches.

I'd consider signing up to MUTV if they televised them but highly doubtful, espically if we played Leeds.

I know we've had a mid season friendly against Sheffield United this season to help gain fitness for players returning from injury. So they may be an opponent.

meamth

Is there any studies or scientific observations as to why, presumably otherwise sane humans, behave the way they do on Twitter?

The lack of ability for people to be reasonable is disturbing. It is a shame as there are some otherwise funny tweets and interesting personalities.

It is so good to see the players back in training, I'm trying hard not to be over enthusiastic, I like a lot of this team now.
I think caf is worse.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Premier league and championship clubs have been cleared to play friendlies providing the following.

I'd consider signing up to MUTV if they televised them but highly doubtful, espically if we played Leeds.

I know we've had a mid season friendly against Sheffield United this season to help gain fitness for players returning from injury. So they may be an opponent.
5th and 6th play each other in a friendly, with 9 games of the season left? Doubt that.

romufc

You can spin it how you like, but if there was a video to sum up Lindelof in one clip that would be it for me.
Well you can keep going on about it, how about Bruno Fernandes getting barged to the ground? did you see that too?

PoTMS

Where did you see this? I very much doubt it considering our positions in the league and that we are due to play them soon anyway in the second matchweek when football returns.

Adam-Utd

Where did you see this? I very much doubt it considering our positions in the league and that we are due to play them soon anyway in the second matchweek when football returns.
It was a behind closed doors friendly for the reserves.

People like Dalot, Chong and Gomes played, and Ravel Morrison played against us apparently.

These type of friendlies aren't uncommon at all but they rarely get talked about.

Brightonian

Because of its cultural and historical provenance the internet has rapidly become a machine to give each of its users the impression that the universe rotates around them. Twitter is an interesting intersection of this phenomenon and the way that news media works. It creates a situation where everything bad happening in the world, and all the disagreements about those bad things, are channeled directly at you with the understanding that you are at the centre of these things and they demand your reaction/opinion. This is not a good foundation for healthy discourse. It's not the fault of people on twitter that conversations there don't develop in a rational way - there is no rational basis for these conversations to exist in the first place.

Anyway, I agree on the enthusiasm front! The interruption to the season was cruel timing as a United fan. I'm worried in the meantime my general sense that the team was headed in a good direction has turned into out of control overconfidence.

fps

Because of its cultural and historical provenance the internet has rapidly become a machine to give each of its users the impression that the universe rotates around them. Twitter is an interesting intersection of this phenomenon and the way that news media works. It creates a situation where everything bad happening in the world, and all the disagreements about those bad things, are channeled directly at you with the understanding that you are at the centre of these things and they demand your reaction/opinion. This is not a good foundation for healthy discourse. It's not the fault of people on twitter that conversations there don't develop in a rational way - there is no rational basis for these conversations to exist in the first place.

Anyway, I agree on the enthusiasm front! The interruption to the season was cruel timing as a United fan. I'm worried in the meantime my general sense that the team was headed in a good direction has turned into out of control overconfidence.
Bloody excellent post!

Coops73

I like this post. Very apt.

criticalanalysis

All he did was not control the ball after he got infront of greenwood. Had this been a Premier league match that ball would have been sent with the out of bounds Express far up in the stands.

But don't let that get in the way of a good story
Actually, we have quite a few incidents in league games where he has royally f-ed up by under or over commiting. Yes this was training and in isolation, it's 'harsh' but this is just typical of him.

This was an amateurish and disgustingly simple mistake. Listen to the clip before the situation even happens, the coach (?) is literally stating the most obvious thing ffs, "he's going nowhere Vic, he's going nowhere...don't get turned" and yet he manages to lose the ball in the most advantageous situation for a defender (overhit pass in a blind alley for the attacker) and lose his man. You can't make this up :lol:

Like I said, Lindelof doing Lindelof things. Not that I need validation but several posters above clearly agree.

If by 'story' you mean make a informed comment after seeing a player for more than 3 years in 1000's of minutes sure.

Look at my posting history. I am rarely critical of players and can be very forgiving (especially if they have shown a high level) but Lindelof warrants no benefit of the doubt from me because he is simply a very average player/defender.

Brightonian

Bloody excellent post!
I like this post. Very apt.
No credit to me. An extremely abbreviated and slightly bodged version of one of many excellent analyses in this essay by Jia Tolentino, who 'gets' the internet better than anyone else I'm aware of. Her writing style always starts meandering and personal but ends up laser-focussed, so stick with it.

I will now definitely stop prattling off-topic, honest guv.