Are trades the way of the future?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It just seems that with the transfer fees getting so high and FFP rules in effect that we are seeing more and more player trades being proposed and I can see this happening more and more in the future. It also could be a good way to get rid of "dead wood". Players who don't fit into our future but could be valuable additions to other teams. For example, Newcastle is asking way too much for a player like Longstaff, but perhaps they could be persuaded to sell if we offer some of our fringe players in return. Assuming of course those players would be willing to make a move and possibly take a pay cut in order to get first team football...

Sir Scott McToMinay

What I would really like to see in the future is for players and clubs to cut out the middle man, the agents, these nobodies are making millions, time to put a stop to it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What I would really like to see in the future is for players and clubs to cut out the middle man, the agents, these nobodies are making millions, time to put a stop to it.
I understand why players have agents, however I think there should be some rules put in place that are very strict when it comes to the media and players who are under contract with a club

cj_sparky

I think minimum release clauses will become a more regular occurrence.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
They are the main stumbling block in many transfers. They stick there greedy noses in it all and some even ruin the future of players.

An example is Bruma former Sporting youth player who is vary talented and he only ever knew football growing up. In terms of actual intelligence he’s as dumb as a rock. His agent would manipulate him in any way he wanted and after a successful u20 World Cup he smelt the money and had Bruma go to the Turkish league so that he could get million as part of the deal instead of making the better career choice of being an absolute starter at Sporting and then potentially making a move to a bigger club.

There are more examples of this too. Agents just care about the money that goes into there pockets over the well being of the player at hand.

RedCurry

Agents manage everything in the players’ lives. From renting their homes to making sure their gardener shows up on time so that the players can concentrate on more important things. You can’t just cut them out.

Tarrou

I don't see how more player trades will be a consequence of transfer fees increasing. Not with us at least, because our dead-wood players are overpaid and that's why we can't offload them. The Newcastles and Leicesters of the world don't want their highest earner to be a dog-shite centre back.

I just think if transfer fees are growing faster than revenues, we'll get a market correction at some point.

Pass and Move

No way trades will become the norm. That would require a player leaving one club being interested in going to the same club you wish to buy a player from, whereas now if they’re sold then all clubs are potential destinations.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't see how more player trades will be a consequence of transfer fees increasing. Not with us at least, because our dead-wood players are overpaid and that's why we can't offload them. The Newcastles and Leicesters of the world don't want their highest earner to be a dog-shite centre back.

I just think if transfer fees are growing faster than revenues, we'll get a market correction at some point.
Which is why I said "assuming the player agrees to the move and taking a pay cut to get first team football". Take for example Phil Jones. "If" we sign Maguire, his playing time will be cut drastically. However, a team like Newcastle could probably benefit from him. So if Phil wants first team football, a trade for Longstaff and a few million quid could be the best possible solution for both clubs...

Tarrou

Which is why I said "assuming the player agrees to the move and taking a pay cut to get first team football". Take for example Phil Jones. "If" we sign Maguire, his playing time will be cut drastically. However, a team like Newcastle could probably benefit from him. So if Phil wants first team football, a trade for Longstaff and a few million quid could be the best possible solution for both clubs...
players rarely do that, or at least ours don't

when was the last time one of our players took a cut to leave?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
No of course not. There is no reason for a player to accept a trade.

The only situation trades work in are NA sports where the players don't get a choice.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
players rarely do that, or at least ours don't

when was the last time one of our players took a cut to leave?
Which is why I asked if this is possibly a way of working things in the future. Trades have rarely happened in the past (Sanchez/MickyT being the only example I can think of). But with the way pricing is now, I can see it becoming more and more popular in the future seeing as trades won't really be impacted by FFP. But in order for it to happen there will likely need to be people willing to take a pay cut in order to get first team football. So the question comes down to, what's more important? Playing football or earning extra cash...

reddevil80

I can't see it being the future as those greedy snakes; the agents, will not make anywhere near as much off their clients. It could work for "feeder" clubs I think but not for the "top" clubs. Most of the players on teams benches, regularly, know that they are not quite good enough for a 1st team place but will happily sit there, knowing they are going to earn an eye watering wage regardless. I think that is where a clause has to be inserted, no play, very reduced pay in my eyea. Old school I know but that's me.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Won't work because different clubs pay different wage scales.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Transfer fees and wages are increasing because there is more money coming into the sport. Once the growth stops or slows down, the same will happen with transfer fees and wages.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You have wrong perception what agents do. How would minor players find a club? Do you think that top stars find sponsors by themselves? And for that kind of money?
You can't expect that player knows how to negotiate with clubs and sponsors, to know all legal stuff, etc....
Agents do huge job for players. You must look bigger picture here

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think release clauses are just going to be put in the contract for players every time with the players and club arguing over a set amount that would realistically reflect where they'd be at a certain age. Pretty much what De Ligt did. £120m comes into effect in 2022. Doesn't mean the player has to leave if he doesnt want to, just means that he has his set price and it's up to the player in the end, and the clubs way of keeping them would be to convince them to stay through added responsibilities or higher salaries. Has to become the norm IMO, if players ever plan on progressing to other clubs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think release clauses are just going to be put in the contract for players every time with the players and club arguing over a set amount that would realistically reflect where they'd be at a certain age. Pretty much what De Ligt did. £120m comes into effect in 2022. Doesn't mean the player has to leave if he doesnt want to, just means that he has his set price and it's up to the player in the end, and the clubs way of keeping them would be to convince them to stay through added responsibilities or higher salaries. Has to become the norm IMO, if players ever plan on progressing to other clubs.
But who can say what is "legal" release clause? You buy player for 30 mil, is normal clause 50 ,90 or 100? Plus there is no club who would want to lose player like that. They will put ridiculous minimum clauses like Barca or Real do. You can't legally force what should be maximum release clause. It is on club and player. And in most cases club will win. De ligt is just an exception

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Single transfers are hard enough without trades, trades usually only work with players who both want out of their club.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It just seems that with the transfer fees getting so high and FFP rules in effect that we are seeing more and more player trades being proposed and I can see this happening more and more in the future. It also could be a good way to get rid of "dead wood". Players who don't fit into our future but could be valuable additions to other teams. For example, Newcastle is asking way too much for a player like Longstaff, but perhaps they could be persuaded to sell if we offer some of our fringe players in return. Assuming of course those players would be willing to make a move and possibly take a pay cut in order to get first team football...
Which of your fringe players would want to go to Newcastle, and which ones would Newcastle be willing to pay a similar wage. You can’t make a player go somewhere he doesn’t want to go.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But who can say what is "legal" release clause? You buy player for 30 mil, is normal clause 50 ,90 or 100? Plus there is no club who would want to lose player like that. They will put ridiculous minimum clauses like Barca or Real do. You can't legally force what should be maximum release clause. It is on club and player. And in most cases club will win. De ligt is just an exception
Eventually players and agents will force thihslike that to become the norm. It's on them to agree a fair price for both, that's what negotiation is for. A smaller club isn't going to not sign a player just because 4-5 years from now they'll have a release clause that gives them profit on that player. At the end of the day, it'll still mean that the player gave them good years and will leave at a profit.

Web of Bissaka

I think "transfer <-> money + loan" will be more common in the future.

Eg. We get Maguire by giving Leicester $$$ and loan them Jones.
Not a separate transfer, but the same one, part of the deal.
The loan cannot be terminated (since if I'm not mistaken, parent club now can terminate the loan anytime).
Parent club pay everything i.e. wages and bonuses to their loaned players.

This way, smaller clubs can get more money and save money, also save time if they couldn't get their target quickly. May even get a more quality players from big teams which helps to get results. In addition, players sent out on loan are usually fringes and unhappy with their situation in parent club, and after playing for their new loan team, they may tempt to join permanently and push a move.

Basically they got many advantages, and lose nothing.. well, other than the player they sold.

Big clubs (or buyer in the case that it's not big club) has one advantage, may tempt the selling club to agree in selling their player.

Last edited:

Un4givableB

No, transfer fees are great for football, smaller clubs and well-run clubs.

Le Red

Agents manage everything in the players’ lives. From renting their homes to making sure their gardener shows up on time so that the players can concentrate on more important things. You can’t just cut them out.
The things you mentioned are definitely not the job of a football agent, but of a personal assistant. Agents should be limited to handling the relation between employee (player) and empoyer (club).
Agents get too involved with these personal affairs precisely because they know it makes the players more reliant on them. When you depend on someone to do everything in your life, from lacing your shoes to having a roof over your head, you become much more compliant and unlikely to rebel. These agents do their best to turn their clients into hostages, in the intellectual sense.

Most agents are just vile parasytes. Of course you could just cut them out. The football world would be better in an instant. Sadly, it will never happen.

manutddjw

I don’t think so. In the end clubs are going to pay if they really want a player. Transfers will probably take forever to do, but Maguire is a good example. No doubt in my mind we’ll eventually just cave in and buy him for what Leicester are asking. What may end up happening is players simply running down their contracts. It’s been happening more frequently and knowing that is really your only leverage if you want to leave, I see it happening more often.

tomaldinho1

I understand why players have agents, however I think there should be some rules put in place that are very strict when it comes to the media and players who are under contract with a club
I think the best way to render them almost redundant is for the PL to set an agent fee. This will be consistent across all PL transfers, regardless of the transfer fee and as such should be relatively small so as not to hinder the financially weaker clubs. For example, imagine if the standard fee was £1m, it's still an absolutely huge amount of money for brokering a deal plus the player would also be able to pay the agent directly for their services. If you're someone like Mino with a host of players on your books, you're still able to earn multiples of millions a year.

£1m in football is peanuts but maybe we need to come back to reality a bit. Cap the agent fee, make it universal for the league - we'll miss out on some great players short term but other league's will follow suit because clubs will be saving billions in a short amount of time

Sir Scott McToMinay

You have wrong perception what agents do. How would minor players find a club? Do you think that top stars find sponsors by themselves? And for that kind of money?
You can't expect that player knows how to negotiate with clubs and sponsors, to know all legal stuff, etc....
Agents do huge job for players. You must look bigger picture here
Players should learn to look after themselves with the help of a lawyer.
There could easily be a system implemented in place that would leave agents jobless for the most part, I believe agents will have a lot less power in the future, which will result in the players making more money.
Nobody likes the the middle men, not a chance these people should be making that much money.

Galactico

Surely the club could and should take care of such things instead.

rpitchfo

Agents are there to represent the players interest. You can argue as to how well certain agents do this but that’s the principle.

lets Face it the clubs don’t have the players interests as a priority.

A premier league cap on agent fees in a global market would just mean less talent in the premier league.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
lets Face it the clubs don’t have the players interests as a priority.
Same as every job. Ban agents worldwide, allow only a lawyer to be consulted on the contract specifics.
Unrealistic, but the ideal scenario. If it wasn't for agents fans might not be getting fleeced quite so much.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some will take care of other things as part of the agency, but they do plenty themselves, as it should be. I know someone running a magazine for professional athletes that also arranges for cars, holidays and houses for players. They deal with them directly.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Which of your fringe players would want to go to Newcastle, and which ones would Newcastle be willing to pay a similar wage. You can’t make a player go somewhere he doesn’t want to go.
Which is why I said if they are more interested in money or actually playing football. Someone like Jones isn't going to get much playing time once Maguire comes and he's at the age where if he hasn't nailed down a starting 11 spot it's worth promoting youth to being our 4th choice centre back. Kind of reminds me of O'Shea and Evans. They were still good options for the 4th spot, but they were at an age where they should be starting week in and week out and that just wasn't going to happen at United...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
When clubs like Leicester is asking insane money for Maguire, and even many fans here are behind the moves regardless of the price because we are desperate, then you know you can’t really stop those agent earning millions.

Eric's Seagull

I like the possibility of trades because sometimes when a player gets sold. It means that the money will not get reinvested fully in the squad, At least with a trade you get the maximum put back in do to speak as we get players.
Although I think one disadvantage to this is clubs coming to agreements on the valuations of the players. which I think may may the transfer process take much longer and I believe that the we we work takes too long at the moment anyway.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
The obvious answer regarding agents is that as employees of the player, they should be paid by the player and the player alone. If I sell my house my buyer doesn’t pay my estate agent, I do.

However, reality is they have been doing it for so long that if a rule was introduced agents would just demand more money for the player and pay themselves out of that instead. Clubs should all stand firm on saying no but we all know that in the ‘success at all costs’ world we live in, it’ll never happen as some clubs will always be willing to pay a little more than others to get a player they need in.

I think they are too deeply woven in to the murky fabric of the game to properly control now. I like the idea of an agent fee cap but I suspect they will just recoup their money in other ways. Parasites.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think agent fee should only be given as full payment as long as the players had honoured the contract until the end. If the players/agent ask for move during the duration of contract, then the payment should be void.

Hughes35

Youth development is the way to go.

Pretty much any player now that has any sort of quality or potential Is 50 million pound plus. No team, no matter how rich can buy 15 or 16 players for a squad. We must get ahead of the curve and have world class youth development.

Clubs are a business and the way to be profitable in the future will be to brings players through for a minimal cost. Even if the players reach Lingard type standards they could now be sold for 30-40 million a go.

Lentwood

Transfers will become rarer over the next ten years, for three reasons;

1. Even accounting for the fact that clubs are becoming much richer it just doesn't make sense to be spending £100m+ on one footballer when you consider what else that money could be used for in the 'real' world

2. Clubs will focus on Youth development and spotting players earlier. Young players will hopefully increasingly get a chance.

3. Players will realise that the lion's share of the transfer fee could be in their pocket if they allow their contracts to run down and make themselves a free agent. I am only surprised this hasn't already happened to be honest. I see a future where the best players sign one year deals and tout their services to the big 20 European clubs every year