Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Devil may care

No, real life shit does, the United board just piss me off, a bunch of farcical clowns who are making the club look pathetic and nothing will be done about it, the cycle was set after Fergie retired, Ole will likely be sacked by the end of the season and we'll start the cycle over again.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Sorry, but this position is a complete and utter load of shit and its not the club that is rotten, but deluded fans that think the club can't be affected by a global pandemic.

Meanwhile the expectation is that we blow our transfer record out of the water in year where we will see a drop in revenue by over 100million pounds.

Sorry, but deluded glory hunters need to get a grip on reality that there are consequences to spending money and right now, that money may not necessarily be there. No other team in the world is currently contemplating dropping 108 million pound on one single player, yet United are trying their hardest ot make it feasible. Irrespective of whether fans are unhappy, the toxicity is not coming from the club. Its even more pathetic considering we have lost a total of 3 games since the end of January and are statistically the best team in the premier league since that time.

Also, stop investing into a sporting franchise so much that it affects your mental health. That in itself is incredibly dangerous and you need to find other hobbies to dilute your emotions.
If you had taken even the slightest amount of time to read anything beyond what I assume was the thread title, then you insinuating that I'm a glory hunter who is desperate for us to break our transfer record in the current climate is the real load of shite.

What I'm talking about is far more nuanced and deeply imbedded in the culture and overall running of the club. And this was evidenced way before Covid. We have shown next to zero intelligence to navigate this window by utilizing our supposedly world class scouting team, and nor have we spent anywhere near the amount that the clubs who are supposed to be our closest rivals have.

But you go on spouting your Glazer mouthpiece BS.

Red_toad

In what sense?
Entitled, moaning, bitching, seeking out anything negative to post on line like it’s important. Believing in shite journalists put up on Twitter to gain revenue. If it’s making anyone depressed they need to get off football forms and go find something that is actually worthwhile, they’re just in a negative spiral and making it worse for everyone else.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
If you had taken even the slightest amount of time to read anything beyond what I assume was the thread title, then you insinuating that I'm a glory hunter who is desperate for us to break our transfer record in the current climate is the real load of shite.

What I'm talking about is far more nuanced and deeply imbedded in the culture and overall running of the club. And this was evidenced way before Covid. We have shown next to zero intelligence to navigate this window by utilizing our supposedly world class scouting team, and nor have we spent anywhere near the amount that the clubs who are supposed to be our closest rivals have.

But you go on spouting your Glazer mouthpiece BS.
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

We are literally trying to sign a record signing, but are hamstrung by finances, yet you want us to go and blow money on other players to assist your mental health... What exactly do you think happens if we go buy other players? I'll give you a free hint, the Sancho deal doesn't happen. It is beyond clear that both clubs are now trying to push the transfer through as Dortmund clearly left Sancho out against Bayern for reasons other than him "being ill".

My assesment is bang on and you clearly do not understand finance or business decisions like most of the transfer muppet fan base of this club. Put it to you this way, if the Sancho transfer goes through, we will have spent the second largest sum of money in europe during the current climate and unlike Chelsea, we didn't have a ban last year to increase our spending powers this year.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
No. But Ed Woodward makes me extremely angry, like when they show his face during matches my blood boils.

Years and years of failure and he still has complete authority to piss around with Fifa transfer fantasies that he can't even do. I hate him.

freeurmind

weak willed
My wife has seriously asked me to stop watching because she says it affects my mental health.

Josep Dowling

Yes the club makes me depressed. 8 years since Sir Alex left and we are further away from the title than we have ever been. Our biggest rivals in England are winning the league and European cups whilst we scrap top 4 like that is some form of achievement. We use to mock Arsenal fans for this type of celebration, now a large proportion of the fan base have become the same acting like we had a good season last year. We were crap until Bruno turned up.

Can’t get it right on the pitch. Can’t get it right off the pitch. The club is run by the only owners in British football wanting to take money out the club as main priority. There is no possibility of getting other owners because the club is too valuable for someone else to buy.

We can’t get transfers done or even target players without it being a long drawn out process which leaves no time to implement players into a pre-season. We over spend on players, only sign obvious signings, pay ridiculous wages and agents fees. We haven’t obtained a genuine bargain since Woodward has controlled transfers.

Our chief executive has failed on so many occasions yet he still keeps his job. A face only a mother could love and everytime I see his horrible face watching us play I just hope someone would punch him.

We can’t sell our crap players even if they have been crap for so long they are eligible for a testimonial. How many years can Phil Jones last at this club. He’s a metaphor for all things wrong at Manchester United. He should have been booted out when his contract was due to run out. But no his contracted was extended, and no doubt increased, like many other players undeserving of such reward. Rojo, Lingard, Smalling, Pereira. How the hell are these 5 players still here?

As good as job as some deem Ole to be doing he is never going to be the answer for a title challenge. Managers need to implement a style and he doesn’t do that. He’s done his job to steady the ship but if we truly want to win league titles and European Cups he’s never going to be the answer.

Wrong decision after constant wrong decision.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?

We are literally trying to sign a record signing, but are hamstrung by finances, yet you want us to go and blow money on other players to assist your mental health... What exactly do you think happens if we go buy other players? I'll give you a free hint, the Sancho deal doesn't happen. It is beyond clear that both clubs are now trying to push the transfer through as Dortmund clearly left Sancho out against Bayern for reasons other than him "being ill".

My assesment is bang on and you clearly do not understand finance or business decisions like most of the transfer muppet fan base of this club. Put it to you this way, if the Sancho transfer goes through, we will have spent the second largest sum of money in europe during the current climate and unlike Chelsea, we didn't have a ban last year to increase our spending powers this year.
:lol: I don't care if the Sancho deal doesn't happen you moron!

If it was too much at the beginning of the window, then it's too much now! That's fine, identify affordable options and get them in so Ole can integrate them into the team nice and early. That's what a well run club would have done.

And please don't have a go at me about my business acumen or understanding of basic economics when you're clearly incapable of discerning an iota of what I'm actually saying. My issue is that the people who run us are incapable of spending whatever (understandably) diminished budget they have because they lack both football and current market intelligence.

All they know is what you've been saying I want to happen, and that's forking out mad fees for the most obvious players.

I actually think this exchange is a storm in a tea cup as we're probably more in line than we'd like to admit despite the petty name calling. But I'll stand by my original post. The way the board are running this club is painful to watch for anyone who has followed Utd and cares about the club and this current team.

Chairman Steve

Not really. I can just focus on something else like video games or social life and take my mind of it. I’ve found my love for football has lessened as I’ve got older and I’ve started to enjoy football less since about 2009, after years of just watching every match possible and I think I’ve just burnt out. I also think I’ve just realised theres more to the world than living vicariously through a single sports team.

I don’t think the media or social media help the case when they’re blowing everything out of proportion at times.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Yes the club makes me depressed. 8 years since Sir Alex left and we are further away from the title than we have ever been. Our biggest rivals in England are winning the league and European cups whilst we scrap top 4 like that is some form of achievement. We use to mock Arsenal fans for this type of celebration, now a large proportion of the fan base have become the same acting like we had a good season last year. We were crap until Bruno turned up.

Can’t get it right on the pitch. Can’t get it right off the pitch. The club is run by the only owners in British football wanting to take money out the club as main priority. There is no possibility of getting other owners because the club is too valuable for someone else to buy.

We can’t get transfers done or even target players without it being a long drawn out process which leaves no time to implement players into a pre-season. We over spend on players, only sign obvious signings, pay ridiculous wages and agents fees. We haven’t obtained a genuine bargain since Woodward has controlled transfers.

Our chief executive has failed on so many occasions yet he still keeps his job. A face only a mother could love and everytime I see his horrible face watching us play I just hope someone would punch him.

We can’t sell our crap players even if they have been crap for so long they are eligible for a testimonial. How many years can Phil Jones last at this club. He’s a metaphor for all things wrong at Manchester United. He should have been booted out when his contract was due to run out. But no his contracted was extended, and no doubt increased, like many other players undeserving of such reward. Rojo, Lingard, Smalling, Pereira. How the hell are these 5 players still here?

As good as job as some deem Ole to be doing he is never going to be the answer for a title challenge. Managers need to implement a style and he doesn’t do that. He’s done his job to steady the ship but if we truly want to win league titles and European Cups he’s never going to be the answer.

Agree with every word of this bar the stance on Ole. But it's a mute point because even if he was able to succeed/implement a style, he's up against a board who will never bring in the players he wants and needs regardless of cost.

Appalling post. Ole has done a very good job in turning it around since Jose.

No one is running around celebrating, but those with a modicum of reality and ability to think long term can see that progress has been made.

Verminator

:lol: I don't care if the Sancho deal doesn't happen you moron!

If it was too much at the beginning of the window, then it's too much now! That's fine, identify affordable options and get them in so Ole can integrate them into the team nice and early. That's what a well run club would have done.

And please don't have a go at me about my business acumen or understanding of basic economics when you're clearly incapable of discerning an iota of what I'm actually saying. My issue is that the people who run us are incapable of spending whatever (understandably) diminished budget they have because they lack both football and current market intelligence.

All they know is what you've been saying I want to happen, and that's forking out mad fees for the most obvious players.

I actually think this exchange is a storm in a tea cup as we're probably more in line than we'd like to admit despite the petty name calling. But I'll stand by my original post. The way the board are running this club is painful to watch for anyone who has followed Utd and cares about the club and this current team.
You created this as another bitch-whinging thread, but don’t like some of the answers.
Just change the title to "emo wankfest", and it will keep out the dissenters.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
You created this as another bitch-whinging thread, but don’t like some of the answers.
Just change the title to "emo wankfest", and it will keep out the dissenters.
For fecks sake :lol:

Since when did this forum enter the utter pits for genuine discussions about a club we all follow?

I asked whether or not the way the board are running this club is depressing. I think it is because I don't think they're good enough at their jobs nor do I think they have the right incentives.

But go ahead, I'm the problem and everything else is fine. If you don't want to talk with posters who think we should only focus on the positives then why are you in this thread?

Last edited:

Verminator

For fecks sake :lol:

Since when did this forum enter the utter pits for genuine discussions about a club we all follow?

I asked whether or not the way the board are running this club is depressing. I think it is because I don't think they're good enough at their jobs not do I think they have the right incentives.

But go ahead, I'm the problem and everything else is fine. If you don't want to talk with posters who think we should only focus on the positives then why are you in this thread?
No you didn't.
You drew people in with a more ambiguous first post and title.
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
Then when it backfired in some cases, you exposed it for what it was meant to be, a circle-jerk for like-minded whingers.

If you can't support the club in dry times, what kind of supporter are you?
Glory hunter?
I don't know, but as a supporter from the 70's, you would never have survived 26 years without a title. Incidentally, when the ground was regularly the most attended, even in div 2.

Edit, Sorry if you are getting the blowback on behalf of the other negative posters on here.

Last edited:

Nikolas

Football fans often perceive successes and failures of their teams as personal. That is why they usually use 'we' when they talk about their clubs. It can easily become unhealthy, especially for people who don't have many productive activities. Psychology explains many aspects of the relationship between a fan and his club.

One psychological principle that is obviously present here is 'commitment and consistency'. It is present everywhere, starting from choosing a club and remaining a fan for a long time (often a whole life).

Another principle that is also visible here on the forum is 'social proof'. People choose to criticize certain players, a manager or owners if they see other posters do so.

Even they are just customers of the company (club), they want to change managers, owners, etc. It is a long story, and a lot of people made good money from these traits. At the end of the day, a lifelong customer is always the best customer.

Reactions: jojojo

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No you didn't.
You drew people in with a more ambiguous first post and title.

Then when it backfired in some cases, you exposed it for what it was meant to be, a circle-jerk for like-minded whingers.

If you can't support the club in dry times, what kind of supporter are you?
Glory hunter?
I don't know, but as a supporter from the 70's, you would never have survived 26 years without a title.
But my first post said I can take losing and don't expect us to always be winning trophies? All I expect is us to have people running us with the team's best interests at heart. I think it's clear we don't right now.

Sorry if something was lost in translation/poorly set out, but I thought I was being consistent. Our board is not good enough to back Ole (who I 100% support) or build on the obvious potential this current team has.

There's lots to be excited by, but the way we're run means I simply think we're going to let a lot of good work go to waste.

And regarding my response to the other poster, of course I don't mind someone disagreeing. That's why I come on here, its healthy and refreshing (mostly). My annoyance was at the fact they completely missed a point i'd made and had a pop at me based on nothing.

Amarsdd

Don't get caught up in oppo banter to the point of internalizing it, don't go into twitter and don't listen to people who don't know about United talk about United. It might sound genuine and everything but, United being the biggest club in the world, its mostly to rile up the fans with bs.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
7-8 years since the last league.
Liverpool winning the league on the canter.
Everyone else making progress.
Alex telles transfer stalled.
Sancho transfer stalled.
Dembele stalled.
Watching ole sitting clueless against crystal fecking palace and Brighton run all over us..

Nah I'm good.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I am already depressed because of personal reasons. I seek football as an aid to get some happiness in life but I guess I have to follow a different sport now.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Not depressed just sad.
I am convinced we will rise again, we have rotten owners, a useless board and a manager who is not up to it at the moment but it won't stay like that.
Was it Harold Hardman who said after Munich "Our great days are not done for us, Manchester United will rise again".

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No life has to be many actual problems to deal with for football to be cause depression. If it doesn't then consider yourself lucky.

Although the "toxic fanbase" stuff is rubbish. This is arguably the biggest and most famous club on the planet. We haven't won the league for nearly a decade now and are run terrible. Of course fans aren't going to be happy. If Barcelona finish 4th to 7th every what do we expect will happen? I'm sure their fanbase will calm and measured at all times. It's typical of many here to shift focus from our failings to the lack of top red ness of our fans. Give yourselves a pat on the back I suppose.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I am already depressed because of personal reasons. I seek football as an aid to get some happiness in life but I guess I have to follow a different sport now.
Great way to put it. And I feel you. It's annoying when your get away from reality slaps you in the face too. So yeah, fark of Glazers.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Nope, 50 years supporting the club and ups and downs are part of it. Being relegated was depressing, seeing our new champions league draw isnt.

fps

Football seems to do damage to a lot of people, it’s due to the powerlessness it creates, which generates really negative feelings of anger and frustration when the thing people have no control over doesn’t go their way.

Football clubs’ ups and downs don’t depress me. It’s entertainment. Football doesn’t matter, yet a lot of people spend their entire lives consumed by it. It needs to be one part of life, but for many people it is a key part of their entire identity. The ones who then get genuinely unhappy when they see these other people who don’t know they exist losing football matches need to step away for a while.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Great way to put it. And I feel you. It's annoying when your get away from reality slaps you in the face too. So yeah, fark of Glazers.
The Glazers can do one. fecking cretins took billion out of the club and now aren't sanctioning deals.

RashysTekkers

If supporting United makes you genuinely depressed then get professional help. Talk with people. Stop going on social media pages (redcafe included) to read negative comments about United. Most of them are written by clueless glory hunters who didn't even know who was the manager before Sir Alex anyway.

What I don't get is the transfer window meltdown I see everywhere. So are you supporting the club, or just following the club for the sake of the transfer dramas? There are some posters here that log in every single day to moan about the lack of transfers. Every damn day, like they have nothing better to do and following the transfer news is the only thing they do in their life. If the club is not signing your favorite 5 star Fifa player then it is what it is. Take it on the chin like a man and stop whining like your life is ruined by the lack of transfer. That's not depression, that's just you being a whiny man child.

Amerifan

I had my lifetime fill of whining this year from every direction. I follow football for fun. I’m not about to let a bunch of losers wreck my enjoyment of the game. I simply mute them and move on.

LoneStar

Apathetic more like. But that’s all irrelevant when we are playing a game though.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
To the people saying our fanbase is toxic I would ask them what they would call Real or Barca fans who would wave kerchiefs in the stadium to call out players and managers if they have 3 losses in a row. We stood by absolute muck served up during every managers reign after SAF. We are the most patient of the lot.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
To the people saying our fanbase is toxic I would ask them what they would call Real or Barca fans who would wave kerchiefs in the stadium to call out players and managers if they have 3 losses in a row. We stood by absolute muck served up during every managers reign after SAF. We are the most patient of the lot.
They are also toxic.
We have won our last three games scoring 9 goals and playing some lovely football. We improved massively last season and have spent well and included some academy players.

jackal&hyde

The constant moaning from fans is worse than how the club operates, even though they leave something to be desired. I do think they are on the right path, though. People do learn form their mistakes.
This.

A lot of fans are depressed imo and are venting those issues in venom rather then taking a break for their own good.

I'm personally more exited about United then I've been in years.

RashyForPM

No, but I do get angry and sad for the rest of the day if we lose a game, before recovering to enjoy the rest of the weekend’s games. I would consider myself a decent, well-balanced poster generally, but I’m a real bore on match days and can go OTT with certain judgements.

Tbf, I believe most of us are the same.

Web of Bissaka

A bit yes. But then I'm more used to it by now ever since Moyes so that's about 7 years ago (?). Nowadays, it's difficult to enjoy United's game consistently, but sometimes there are some games that makes you feel "Yes, this is United" so you have a slightly better days when that rare occasions happen.

Anyway, watching United's football is no longer a top priority for me so it doesn't make me depress too much anymore. Learned to let it go quickly (the bad shit games even when we play so bad despite winning), as soon as possible. And get other hobbies/interests that help your counter-depression better.

Wait, do people seriously get affected (depressed) by what people say online?

mshnsh

Man utd are amongst the most poorly run clubs in the world. Ferguson's genius papered over many a crack that have become evident after he left.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A bit yes. But then I'm more used to it by now ever since Moyes so that's about 7 years ago (?). Nowadays, it's difficult to enjoy United's game consistently, but sometimes there are some games that makes you feel "Yes, this is United" so you have a slightly better days when that rare occasions happen.

Anyway, watching United's football is no longer a top priority for me so it doesn't make me depress too much anymore. Learned to let it go quickly (the bad shit games even when we play so bad despite winning), as soon as possible. And get other hobbies/interests that help your counter-depression better.

Wait, do people seriously get affected (depressed) by what people say online?
Obviously people get impacted by what they read online. That is what this thread is about. Idiots who care more about transfer rumours not happening rather than what we see on the pitch.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
To be honest, United doesn't depress me. For me it's just a turn of the wheels of fate, we dominated for 25 years, and now it's our turn to endure barren years.

But it's fans that doesn't share the same view as me does. Before you get to jump let me remind you, that I know opinions are like arsehole, everyone has one and fair play. It's just that it's actually pretty depressing when you believe something strongly while the other party doesnt

e.g.
Trump
Flat earthers
Jose in / out
Ole in / out

I guess the last 7 years the fans have been divided as ever... and that's what depresses me. We can't agree on something without the other 50% fans shouting at each other, and that's tiring. No matter what stance your hold there's always that other 50% that's going to stick it in.

Previously we have none of this issue, we all fall in line behind SAF (or at least a very very large percentage), it gives us strength and unity. Right now even the boards doesn't know what to do, some wants Poch, some want Ole, Some want Jose, some don't want him, etc etc. It doesn't help one bit it seems that no matter which direction we're heading there's always that other train pulling us back. Before SAF retired the caf seems to be in unison about SAF, sure critics such "O'shea in the middle" or "Why no midfielder" pops up once in a while, but it's all a healthy debate and very seldom goes into personal.

The last 7 years the caf is a very hostile places, no matter what stance you're on there's people looking to make names for themselves jumping to attack you personally.

e.g.
Being accused of anti British if you happened to think Maguire is at fault
Greenwood debacle
Martial
Being called plastic for not supporting Ole in, or being called blind fanatics for supporting Ole

It's tiring, hence I post less on football forums