Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I'm getting less attached to the club.

Phase 1 : Teenager - defending United players, manager, staffs on goal.com like an idiot
Phase 2 : Adult - defending the club, couldn't give two shits about the players and staff as I see them as temporary and their attitude makes it hard to like them sometimes
Phase 3 : Boomer Adult - indifferent when we're shit even when the opposing fans are mocking us (because we are) but happy when United won or played well

I'm in phase 3 right now. I'm expecting to be in phase 4 by 2030, grandad phase... constantly talking about "back in my days Sir Alex Ferguson.... back in my days Evra played through injury.... back in my days we had Howard Webb.... on 2021 Ronaldo came home after refusing to drink Coca-Cola".
Brilliant :lol::lol::lol:

Bestofthebest

Age brings perspective. Life happens and you realise where football fits in the grand scheme of things.

But I do feel very disillusioned at the moment. The club leave me feeling cold. There's little to identify with. And little to connect to. Which is a great shame.
Couldn’t have put it better myself.

julianfr

Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
Very much so! I've taking to recording the matches and then checking the scores and match review before watching it.

I will no longer allow myself the torture of watching us play and then wishing I hadn't 2 hours later

minoo-utd

Depressed and affects my mood. Still can't miss a game and that's bad because of our state last few years, always trying to lift my self up by saying I'm bit old for this shit :lol::confused:

SuperiorXI

No, there's more important things in the world to get depressed about than football. Sure, it annoys me if we lose, but that feeling generally passes within the hour after the match, unless it's a really bad defeat which could take a couple hours or so... but you should never let football depress you, find some other hobby to occupy your time... never outright rely on 11 strangers out on a football pitch to make you happy.

grahamo

So disillusioned at the moment. I remember as a kid back in the 70s and early 80s we were terrible a lot of the time but there were at least some games games where we were excellent. You felt On their day united could beat anyone which gave us hope but these days don't feel that way at all. It's just a feeling of hopelessness

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Extremely depressed knowing this is how all the other 19 clubs fans felt during the 90’s and early 2000s. We were top dog for so long that I genuinely got used to it. Seeing City dominate games and score goals like we used to is disheartening to say the least. At the same time I still can’t believe how shite we are

George.Kel.

I support ManUnited from as long as i can remember myself, this year i think its the worst year i can remember supporting this club.
The banner at Villa Park about "rot top to bottom club" sums it up. No hope, just pain and depression every week.

*woke up this (every) morning feeling shite, got manunited on my mind*
Suddenly this chant have a whole new meaning

Ludens the Red

Extremely depressed knowing this is how all the other 19 clubs fans felt during the 90’s and early 2000s. We were top dog for so long that I genuinely got used to it. Seeing City dominate games and score goals like we used to is disheartening to say the least. At the same time I still can’t believe how shite we are
It wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t spend so much money. That just makes it so much worse. If we were broke, not spending, sitting on our arses you could almost accept it. The fact we’re more or less matching city’s spending yet continue to be a complete disgrace of a club is infuriating.

Bestietom

It wouldn’t be so bad if we didn’t spend so much money. That just makes it so much worse. If we were broke, not spending, sitting on our arses you could almost accept it. The fact we’re more or less matching city’s spending yet continue to be a complete disgrace of a club is infuriating.
Yes, this depresses me most, and then spending our hard earned monies travelling to see some of our players not bothering to run or tackle, and I think of the money they are getting

JB7

Jesus christ the comments in this are unbelievable. You're talking about a club that is 7th in the league ffs, I appreciate that we should be doing a lot better but some of you would have been topping yourselves with our teams in the past. fecking recording the matches and checking the scores so you know whether to watch it or not, absolutely pathetic - this is sport. Half the point of sport is that anything can happen. You support your team - good or bad, granted they piss you off sometimes and you can walk out fecking fuming like I did on Saturday but shit happens, you've just got to hope next time will be better.

Watching a genuinely shit team week in week out would give you lot some major perspective on matters.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
They made me depressed under Mourinho. Now I've just accepted that despite our insane expenditure on players we are such a badly run club that it is unlikely we will ever construct on a cohesive team and so will finish between 7th and 4th most seasons.

NiceGuyEddie

Definitely noticing it more lately, but I'm finding myself flicking through my phone out of boredom during matches, or fighting the urge to nod off. If we play sh1te then I'm on a downer for a little while. In the past I could always shrug it off as a one-off or a blip, but now reality has set in and it's quite depressing.

Red For Ever

Depressed, no, not ever.

Disappointed, frustrated and even annoyed at times, then yes.
But it's football, it's enjoyable and a good feeling when they win playing well.
But there is a long list of more important things that affect me, my friends and family and even our world.

I don't think there is the same connection for me with the business known as Manchester United, a very different
feeling to the first live match I went to at Manchester United Football club in the 1965 / 66 season.
But that is inevitable and not all bad for these times we live in, but dont think its easy to be connected to someone who earns a vast fortune
when playing so badly

Laurencio

I'm just impatient.

The issues are clear as day, yet I sit here window after window and wait for the club to fix glaring issues. I see other teams with similar issues sort it out in a matter of weeks and months with far less money than we have available, while we still hop along totally oblivious. Watching glaring issues be ignored and trying to convince myself that if the club doesn't adress them they surely can't be as glaring as I feel when the club supposedly ran by professionals don't prioritise fixing them. So I keep being optimistic. Hoping that maybe the next match will be better, more entertaining and that we will win convincingly - only to be disappointed time and time again, searching for something, anything really, positive in on pitch performances.

Just fix it...

Siezard

At least the club is working in the right direction.

Needed a striker so they brought in Cavani and CR7.

Needed a right wing and brought in Sancho.

They will bring in a CM next.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If you sign an emotional contract with a sports team that's based on them always being the best, then at some point you're going to find yourself in a difficult position.

Ixion

They make me angry more than anything. It's like watching someone at work being gifted everything and being completely incompetent and lazy at the same time.

Bennie Blanco

No.

We're shit and I've accepted that. I can't be disappointed, since I expect the worst, but I still hope for the best.

Take last week's game for example, where we fecked up a 2-0 lead. A lot of posters were angry, and upset. I just had a little chuck how shit we are.

It's going to take at least a decade for us to get back to winning titles. It is, what it is.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
No.

We're shit and I've accepted that. I can't be disappointed, since I expect the worst, but I still hope for the best.

Take last week's game for example, where we fecked up a 2-0 lead. A lot of posters were angry, and upset. I just had a little chuck how shit we are.

It's going to take at least a decade for us to get back to winning titles. It is, what it is.

Aye, same here. We had our fun for 20+ years under Fergie, now its our time to suffer in the doldrums. It's not ideal and its not something a club with our stature and finances should be going through, but it is what it is. I just hope I can one day be at OT with my son watching man utd lift the PL!

minoo-utd

What makes me depressed more is I can't see any lights at the end of this dark path, I know we will be still suffering next year and other teams are more hungry and ready than us. Hopefully I am so wrong but this club has been so rotten and it makes me so depressed.

Siezard

I think football can turn around very fast with the right manger and players.

For example, you see great transformation happened when Bruno came. And Ronaldo and Sancho were brought in to greatly increase the chance of winning trophies.

Maguire was a mistake but Varane is class.

Don't forget that Liverpool and City have aging squad while United has huge talents.So with the right CM and manager coming in, very soon man utd will be doing very well.

mctrials23

What makes me depressed more is I can't see any lights at the end of this dark path, I know we will be still suffering next year and other teams are more hungry and ready than us. Hopefully I am so wrong but this club has been so rotten and it makes me so depressed.
Rotten is the correct word to describe the club. Old and rotten. Stadium needs massive investment, squad needs gutting and players who have a work ethic and desire brought in. Wage structure needs fixing. Football structure needs fixing. Upper management needs fixing. Priorities of the club need reordering.

We are a legacy brand that is trading on its name alone and eventually that won't be enough and suddenly the one side of the business that is actually run OK (commercial side) will start to fall away and we will just be left with a club that used to be rich and relevant.

The sad thing is that if we really wanted to, the club could be sorted out in probably 3 years. Restructure the club, focus on football and bring the right people in and give them the agency to make the required changes. That would require some massive egos to give up their toys though so its not going to happen.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rotten is the correct word to describe the club. Old and rotten. Stadium needs massive investment, squad needs gutting and players who have a work ethic and desire brought in. Wage structure needs fixing. Football structure needs fixing. Upper management needs fixing. Priorities of the club need reordering.

We are a legacy brand that is trading on its name alone and eventually that won't be enough and suddenly the one side of the business that is actually run OK (commercial side) will start to fall away and we will just be left with a club that used to be rich and relevant.

The sad thing is that if we really wanted to, the club could be sorted out in probably 3 years. Restructure the club, focus on football and bring the right people in and give them the agency to make the required changes. That would require some massive egos to give up their toys though so its not going to happen.
IMO you're leaning way to heavily on the negative side here.

A rotten football club is one that is no longer trying to win. United are trying very hard to win, they've just suffered from a combination of poor decisions, some bad luck and elements outside of our control and at the top level you don't get away with that.

The positive element to focus on is that your view on what needs to happen for us to be successful again is largely what is happening right now. Significant restructuring is taking place. We have a new CEO that is openly willing to allow football people to make football decisions. We've appointed an interim manager slash football consultant with a deep history of the sport, and we are taking the time needed to make the best decision we can on a new manager. Of course there is no guarantee that this will work, but we are looking at a club that is changing direction and trying to be better.

Our fanbase can play their part in this by changing our own direction. Be less entitled. Be more vocally supportive of this change in direction, and of the club in general. Accept that there will be speedbumps along the way.

mctrials23

A rotten football club is one that is no longer trying to win. United are trying very hard to win, they've just suffered from a combination of poor decisions, some bad luck and elements outside of our control and at the top level you don't get away with that.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree. We are the football club equivalent of the parents that say their children are their world while they go out on the lash every weekend and don't feed them properly. If you don't put in the work and structure to be successful then your words about how much you want something are complete BS. Its not a magic formula that the top clubs hide from the world. There is a very obvious way that most top clubs are set up and the way they behave. Do you genuinely believe that we have done everything in our power over the last decade or more to be successful and stay at the top of the game.

The positive element to focus on is that your view on what needs to happen for us to be successful again is largely what is happening right now. Significant restructuring is taking place. We have a new CEO that is openly willing to allow football people to make football decisions. We've appointed an interim manager slash football consultant with a deep history of the sport, and we are taking the time needed to make the best decision we can on a new manager. Of course there is no guarantee that this will work, but we are looking at a club that is changing direction and trying to be better.
I truly hope you are right and I agree that the signs are there that we might be going in a different direction but I can't bring myself to get too caught up in it until I see some results. Until I see the hard decisions being made that prioritise the football over the finances and marketing. Until I see Ronaldo gone, Pogba gone, Martial gone. These are the decisions that show what sort of club you are. Until we see the club letting the football side lead the way, little will change.

Our fanbase can play their part in this by changing our own direction. Be less entitled. Be more vocally supportive of this change in direction, and of the club in general. Accept that there will be speedbumps along the way.
Our fan base is not entitled at all. Half of our fanbase still thought Ole was building towards something despite watching us for 3 years under Ole. Our fan base is too prideful and thinks its better than other clubs so we don't boo our managers or get on their backs when they are underperforming. We don't boo the players when they aren't putting in a shift. We almost actively encourage the malaise that is so deep rooted at the club.

Hopefully our fans support Rangnick and whoever else replaces him but faith has to be earned. Klopp didn't take 3 years to have Liverpool playing great football. If its not working, get rid. Currently I have no idea whats happening because RR doesn't seem to be able to get anything from these players but personally I don't know how he could. Bunch of overpaid and entitled players that have run the asylum for years. Its hard to reverse that sort of internal indifference.

wolvored

It feels like your watching fools and horses. This time next year we will be millionaires. Always next year

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It feels like your watching fools and horses. This time next year we will be millionaires. Always next year
We do seem to be a team of the future.
Next year will be our year. This year, is a write-off. Modern football doesn't work this way.
Pep and Klopp needed 1 year to get the machine oiled up and the following year they delivered. Tuchel will say that he delivered within 6 months.
So, in modern football, things can turn around really quickly. The problem is that our board and fans don't demand a quick turnaround. They write off the current season and focus on next season. Some fans even suggest that we should wait 10 yrs!

Longlivekeano

I’ve stopped watching United. Just watch the other games where better football is being played. Much better that way and avoid being disappointed. I just expect us to win 1, draw 2, draw 1, win 1

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think the fans have more mental health issue than footballers. They don’t care about us anyway.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The 5-0 at home might look great in retrospect. Time to triple captain Salah.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Actually, I felt no stress or anxiety in the final minutes of that match, as will be the case in the next one and the one after that. It’s all rather nice and relaxing for a football fan in April. The club doesn’t care, the players don’t care, let’s appreciate not needing to care either.

DizeeGorilla20

I wouldn't day they've made me depressed but they definitely bring a lot of negative energy into my life.

Because of that I've emotionally detached myself from them this season. I made a conscious decision to only watch the Champions League games and just follow results in the PL. I don't follow the news/rumours either

I've gotta say, it was a good move on my part.

DizeeGorilla20

Actually, I felt no stress or anxiety in the final minutes of that match, as will be the case in the next one and the one after that. It’s all rather nice and relaxing for a football fan in April. The club doesn’t care, the players don’t care, let’s appreciate not needing to care either.
Excellent point. I'm at that point too. If the players and club don't care, why should I?

abaka

I feel so empty after that match I’m adding samiritans to speed dial

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Can’t possibly believe that anyone who sees this thread as a United fan will say no to this. Frankly the only thing I want now this season is to somehow do something against Liverpool but it's foolish of me to think that this multi million pound squad can do anything against Liverpool

Jericholyte2

I keep visiting this thread because yes, they really really do. When I was younger United were my weekend escape; win, lose or draw the vast majority of the time I'd be entertained and would usually have something to complain about when we didn't win. But now I just add it to the absolute mess that I call a set of passions.

- I love golf but my competitive streak makes me hate myself because I'm not very good
- I'm hugely passionate about politics and...well...look around
- I love movies and collect steelbooks but now I can't afford any
- I love United and it's all going to hell and likely to get worse before it gets any better

I have had so many people who say, 'Well just stop watching" but I can't - it's like some masochistic habit that I just can't cut, and I have absolutely zero interests outside of this very niche group of passions.

cabbs1989

I keep visiting this thread because yes, they really really do. When I was younger United were my weekend escape; win, lose or draw the vast majority of the time I'd be entertained and would usually have something to complain about when we didn't win. But now I just add it to the absolute mess that I call a set of passions.

- I love golf but my competitive streak makes me hate myself because I'm not very good
- I'm hugely passionate about politics and...well...look around
- I love movies and collect steelbooks but now I can't afford any
- I love United and it's all going to hell and likely to get worse before it gets any better

I have had so many people who say, 'Well just stop watching" but I can't - it's like some masochistic habit that I just can't cut, and I have absolutely zero interests outside of this very niche group of passions.
I am similar to you, I base a lot of the things that make me happy around United, I’ve been on anti depressants for close to 14 years now & I know I’ll always be on them, I always hype myself to watch united & it Always knocks me back, I try to not let it affect me but when you have so little interests, I find myself coming back to this forum & the negativity warranted or not makes me feel even worse, the only positive is it’s wrestlemania this weekend & I always enjoy that, but it’s getting tough to remain positive about united.

OleTheGreat

Yes! They depress me every game. It's been like this for a long time though.. even when we won 5-0 under Ole, I knew that it was just because of a few moments and not because we played flawless football. We need Ten Hag so badly and and we also need a good DoF. Things haven't changed in so long and as a die hard United fan, I can't seem to forget or not watch our games.. We fans definitely deserve much much better than what we are getting.. appoint Ten Hag and announce him soon, we need some good news to cheer for.