Are Utd Making You Depressed?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.

eltigreFalcao

I do agree that we have a very very negative fanbase, but I don't blame us, this club is actually not going well for a number of years, people are looking at relegation as a turning point.

I aint gonna say depressed because I've suffered from depression before and is nothing comparable in this case, but I do have a lot of shitty day by day moments thinking about United (which is something I do A LOT every day). Watching the team play also gives me bad moments sometimes. But all in all I love the club and I enjoy a lot every good bit of it

ReddBalls

The constant moaning from fans is worse than how the club operates, even though they leave something to be desired. I do think they are on the right path, though. People do learn form their mistakes.

el3mel

Depressed about a sort of entertainment like football club? Why would anyone be like that? Football isn't necessary for life.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Not at all, I’m an adult with an entire life outside of a football club.

I’m surprised half this place hasn’t had self induced brain aneurysms though the way they constantly lose their shit. There’s definitely a lot of people on here/online who have a seriously unhealthy relationship with football and should be taking a step back.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The constant moaning from fans is worse than how the club operates, even though they leave something to be desired. I do think they are on the right path, though. People do learn form their mistakes.
I would normally agree with this, but something seems different now. We've never seemed so obviously unambitious in our direction.

I think the club is now a toy to businessmen and bankers who don't know what game they're playing, and have no proper investment in it.

I feel like we're supporting a business.

edcunited1878

No club has the devine right to be the best or win every year. But because we're in a world of social media and instant gratification and the 'positive', yet short-lived and unsustainable emotional/psychological highs....people don't know how to separate reality from hopes/dreams.

For example, United as a club has high standards. But in reality, their quality is significantly behind/below the requisite level of quality to meet those high club standards. But there's a clear disconnect between the manager and players high standards and the owners/executives (Woodward) because United have to spend on quality players and improve current players, to reach those high standards and expectations as a club.

Womp

idiot
Of course.
What pisses me off though is, calling players, managers, staff, "thick, stupid, incompetent, disgraceful" etc, by people who's only responsibility is writing a coherent post on here, and they can't even manage that.
What is exactly wrong with people expressing their opinion? They are professionals, their performance in their role is up for scrutiny just as anyone else's would be. With the amount of money spent and the supposed reluctance to implement any personnel or structural change despite approaching 10 years of under-performance would be classified as incompetence.

Also the less said about your attempt at an attack in the latter end of your post, the better. Especially when you used 'who's' incorrectly.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Of course.
What pisses me off though is, calling players, managers, staff, "thick, stupid, incompetent, disgraceful" etc, by people who's only responsibility is writing a coherent post on here, and they can't even manage that.
Understandable, but this thread isn't really about that. It's about the absolute core of how rotten we've become.

I think we're at a place where we could have the best manager on the world and they'd fail because the board wouldn't deliver for them.

Supports
England
If the answer to this is "yes", please take some time to evaluate your relationship with football, for the sake of your mental health. Part of the reason I'm a club neutral is the effect that football can have on its fans.

I'm a neuroscientist with a big personal interest in the intersection of sports viewing and psychology. My basic message would be that following a football club is not necessarily unhealthy but can become unhealthy quickly and easily. A football match should never have the power to make you feel bad for an extended amount of time after the game is over. I probably also wouldn't recommend allowing football to be your primary interest in life if you want optimal mental health in a world where that's incredibly hard to come by.

Take care, all.

Morpheus 7

Yeah I'm a little bit down regarding United, more frustrated because I thought we could compete properly soon. The foundations were there but the ambition of the owners clearly isn't now. I'm clearly venting with that statement, just being honest though.

Chief123

Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
I wouldn’t say it’s making me depressed. It is gut wrenching to know that we are owned by people who don’t have the same ambition and desires about our club as us as fans do. It’s even more frustrating knowing that there really isn’t much we can do about it either. It’s like knowing you have a mother who’s an alcoholic loser but you have to accept her for who she is and get on with life because you can’t change who your mother is. Glazers aren’t going anywhere fast which is the sad part.

RedDevil@84

We are being let down by a bunch of fans who think supporting the club means sitting on their high horses calling themselves "Real fans" and letting the club rot because questioning how the club is being run would mean they need to come off their high horses and mingle with fans whom they love to call plastic.

Chief123

The worry is, they don’t actually seem to be on the right path nor are they learning from their mistakes. This window has been one of the worst we’ve had since the Fellani one. Still a few days left but it’s been a shambles knowing the fact the rivals who we are competing against have strengthened and we have stood still.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No club has the devine right to be the best or win every year. But because we're in a world of social media and instant gratification and the 'positive', yet short-lived and unsustainable emotional/psychological highs....people don't know how to separate reality from hopes/dreams.

For example, United as a club has high standards. But in reality, their quality is significantly behind/below the requisite level of quality to meet those high club standards. But there's a clear disconnect between the manager and players high standards and the owners/executives (Woodward) because United have to spend on quality players and improve current players, to reach those high standards and expectations as a club.
But you don't have to spend the most all the time to be the best.

The Sancho deal will compound a lot of peoples doom and gloom but not simply because we didn't fork out a huge fee, it will be because we simply lack the expertise and intelligence to identify potential backups other than the most obvious "FIFA" options.

Womp

idiot
I wouldn't say depression, no. It does obviously suck seeing how this club is run and it's completely fine to express that frustration, but at the end of the day it's 1. not something we have direct control over and 2. In the grand scheme of things, whether or not the club we support succeeds has very little influence on our life. If you've got to the point where supporting the club etc. is becoming difficult, take a break from the sport, I've done in the past and when you return, a lot of the excitement returns with it.

As the saying goes; it is what it is.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
No, it's just a game.

I’m surprised half this place hasn’t had self induced brain aneurysms though the way they constantly lose their shit. There’s definitely a lot of people on here/online who have a seriously unhealthy relationship with football and should be taking a step back.
:lol: Yeah this.

Shark

@NotShark
Nah, definitely don't let football get in on me as much as when I was younger, plus watching my country play over these past few years has been rough. Will always feel unbelievable fortunate to support United because as bad as it may seem at times because of expectations, it could be a whole lot worse. Look at Leeds until now.

klayton88

Had this conversation with my mate the other day. I wish I could just cut all emotional involvement to the club but still watch the games and be unaltered by the result. However I can't switch off. I was pissed off after the Brighton WIN. That's how bad it has become, I'm pissed off with a win. I felt bad for Brighton.

Last edited:

vodrake

No, its just football at the end of the day. You watch the matches once or twice a week, get a bit annoyed if they lose or play shit, then get on with the rest of your life.

If you find yourself getting genuinely depressed over a period of time because your football club aren't buying the players you want or showing the ambition you feel they should, the issue is more an unhealthy relationship with football than the club

Verminator

What is exactly wrong with people expressing their opinion? They are professionals, their performance in their role is up for scrutiny just as anyone else's would be. With the amount of money spent and the supposed reluctance to implement any personnel or structural change despite approaching 10 years of under-performance would be classified as incompetence.

Also the less said about your attempt at an attack in the latter end of your post, the better. Especially when you used 'who's' incorrectly.
As you understood that, I'm assuming you're attacking my grammar. I guess you have room to learn too, eh?

There is no need for some posters to repeatedly say the same criticisms, again and again. As if, the pure act of repetition will change the minds of those who don't agree.
What is to be gained by calling Ole "shit" for the 100th time, that wasn't achieved the other 99 times?

It is gruelling. Maybe not quite depressing.

No Love

No, and in all seriousness, if anyone answers otherwise, seek professional help. Hell, even fire me a PM and we’ll have a chitchat, because that just should not be the case.

I used to get so pissed at football. Granted, I was an angsty teen and it was around 10 years ago or more; however, Utd losing was a real kick in the dick for me - Proper weekend ruiner. Then I realised that, in all likelihood (and even more so in recent years) a lot of players representing the club probably gave less of a feck than I did. Some of them would probably go home and be a husband/son/brother/father, whatever. Some would go home and then go clubbing, some would probably go for a meal, etc. My point being: If those directly involved in the matches were not defined by poor results, why should I be? Granted, you’re talking more about the operational side of things; however, it’s applicable. Don’t burden yourself with stuff you have zero control over. Just see it for it is and enjoy the ride. What will be will be.

Now that I’ve crammed in some clichés at the end of my second paragraph, I’ll leave it there. However, my point regarding my PMs being open is applicable to anyone. Sometimes it’s good to just bounce ideas off someone with a level of anonymity, so if anyone needs to chitchat, let me know. Obviously I’m not a professional, more of a sounding board and ear to listen.

Verminator

Had this conversation with my mate the other day. I wish I could just cut all emotional involvement to the club but still watch the games and be unaltered by the result. However I can't switch off. I was pissed off after the Palce WIN. That's how bad it has become, I'm pissed off with a win. I felt bad for Palace.
You mean Brighton.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well I was feeling a bit down but this thread has cheered me right up.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Understandable, but this thread isn't really about that. It's about the absolute core of how rotten we've become.

I think we're at a place where we could have the best manager on the world and they'd fail because the board wouldn't deliver for them.
Sorry, but this position is a complete and utter load of shit and its not the club that is rotten, but deluded fans that think the club can't be affected by a global pandemic.

Meanwhile the expectation is that we blow our transfer record out of the water in year where we will see a drop in revenue by over 100million pounds.

Sorry, but deluded glory hunters need to get a grip on reality that there are consequences to spending money and right now, that money may not necessarily be there. No other team in the world is currently contemplating dropping 108 million pound on one single player, yet United are trying their hardest ot make it feasible. Irrespective of whether fans are unhappy, the toxicity is not coming from the club. Its even more pathetic considering we have lost a total of 3 games since the end of January and are statistically the best team in the premier league since that time.

Also, stop investing into a sporting franchise so much that it affects your mental health. That in itself is incredibly dangerous and you need to find other hobbies to dilute your emotions.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I wouldn’t say it’s making me depressed. It is gut wrenching to know that we are owned by people who don’t have the same ambition and desires about our club as us as fans do. It’s even more frustrating knowing that there really isn’t much we can do about it either. It’s like knowing you have a mother who’s an alcoholic loser but you have to accept her for who she is and get on with life because you can’t change who your mother is. Glazers aren’t going anywhere fast which is the sad part.
Yeah, this is probably more in line with how I feel/better put. And apologies to anyone who has suffered from/is suffering with depression by what could be an upsetting thread title.

I think what's really frustrating is that right now we comfortably have the best team we've had since Fergie left, and a manager who gets them and loves the club. All the pieces to push on are there. But we aren't, and the board are chipping away at the good work Ole did last season.

No matter how you feel right now, who on this forum at the beginning of this window would have been satisfied/expected us to have made 1 first team signing that wasn't a RW, LB, CB or CDM - with Jones, Romero, Rojo, Dalot, Smalling, Lingard and TFM all still playing for us? Even Pereira is still on the books, and Sanchez only left because we forked out the remainder of his contract!

Tel074

The fans are making me more depressed than the club or it’s players. We have a toxic fanbase.

We really don't . What we have is a shower of Muppets who have never been to a game in their life on social media complaining like they know every little detail about the club and manager .

Tarrou

I've long since reconciled with the fact we're owned by cnuts. It sucks but it is what it is.

I feel sorry for the fans who can't derive any job from supporting the club, and are always focused on the negative. If something depresses you then you shouldn't do it anymore.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Had this conversation with my mate the other day. I wish I could just cut all emotional involvement to the club but still watch the games and be unaltered by the result. However I can't switch off. I was pissed off after the Palce WIN. That's how bad it has become, I'm pissed off with a win. I felt bad for Palace.
Well the good news is that I can lift that depression. Don't waste your tears on Palace. They won! They're absolutely fine. Panic over. As you were.

Tel074

We are being let down by a bunch of fans who think supporting the club means sitting on their high horses calling themselves "Real fans" and letting the club rot because questioning how the club is being run would mean they need to come off their high horses and mingle with fans whom they love to call plastic.
Can you clarify which fans are letting the club rot ?

So blaming the fanbase for being vocal because of 7 years no major titles. But not the board, the manager nor the players. This is some good shite.
This is exactly the response that is the problem.

Everything is negative.

PS what’s your definition of a major title? By the way, I only consider the league to be a title, everything else is a trophy. You can consider the FA Cup to be a major trophy.

The club and the team is completely different to where it was 18 months ago. After the oppression of Jose we were in an utter state. We have improved, we are getting the right players, we are getting rid of/ got rid of the horrendous influences like Lukaku and Sanchez. We are on the up.

Yet a % of the fanbase ridicule the club at every turn, and seemingly take pleasure at every loss we have. These fans are happy to throw out the last 18 months, and want us to bring anyone in to replace OGS, who despite doing exactly as asked is not good enough. Yet, we have proven since Fergie that past managerial success is not an indicator of future success.

Our fanbase are toxic. I’ve seen threads turning on Greenwood, Rashford and Martial. Even though as a threesome they outperformed Liverpool last season. The treatment of Pogba is pretty horrendous. I get he’s divisive, but FFS he’s coming off of an injury and coronavirus. We even have a thread about why we bothered to buy DVDB. We are 4 games into the season.

A large part of the fanbase is vile.

We really don't . What we have is a shower of Muppets who have never been to a game in their life on social media complaining like they know every little detail about the club and manager .

But these muppets make up a large part of our fanbase?

shaky

We can't do anything about the board we have. We've won 11, drawn 4 and lost 1 of our last 15 league matches though. No matter how uninspiring the upper management of the club is, now is not the time to be feeling like we're a lost cause. Ignore the doomsayers and try looking at the positives. Your outlook won't make an iota of difference to how things go for Utd, but it can certainly help your own state of mind.