Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Never waste energy being negative.
I largely agree with your basic stance on this - but I would add that it's possible to be "negative" (as in, not being naively "positive" for the sake of it) without incessantly moaning and bitching about everything like a sulking teenager.

The latter is how many of our fans come across these days. And that is what I personally find infuriating - not that people are "negative" rather than "positive" as a basic stance, which I would interpret (in many cases) as simply being skeptical (or even pessimistic) with regard to how the club is being run at the moment.

Nogbadthebad

I grew up in a time where you could turn up at Old Trafford on a Saturday and pay at the turnstile, where the Greenhoff's were at the heart of the side and where a good cup run was the best you hoped for at the start of a season.

So I've seen plenty worse than what we have now.

I'm not depressed by United by any stretch, but the inevitability of a poor season because the money gets cut off as soon as we qualify for CL (stats back it up) takes the joy out of football.

I don't think empty stadiums are helping either when it comes to enthusiasm to be honest. Its like watching training games all the time.

Heardy

I wouldn't say depressed, more disillusioned.

I'll always love the club, but its sad that we appear to have lost our ambition to maintain our position as the biggest club in the world. Fergie took us to the stratosphere during his reign and to have seen that progress / status fall away within a decade is simply sad.

We had the perfect platform, but a number of bad decisions and being saddled with owners that want to take money out rather than pump it in means that we'll sadly be playing catch up for years.

Steven-UK

The club I love is rotten, badly managed and most likely will never get back to the top with the people handling things up top. So yes, I am depressed and angry about it. And that's what every fan that has love for the club should be to be honest. Since Fergie left, it has been a shower of shite in most aspects within the club. Thinking positive in this regard leads to no change. How long are the majority of fans accepting this is the question.

I don't know how to contribute to the change we need in the club but ill do it if a chance arises.
100% This, regarding fans, especially.

After 13 years as a season ticket holder (2 x tickets) we had already decided not to renew this year (not cancelled yet, but we will).

And some of our fans, and how totally delusional they are towards the team and the players we have :lol: - it's scary.

Can you imagine if United sent out emails to all season ticket holders asking to renew now (they have not done so yet, United that is...), considering how we have played for the last 6/7 years; considering how putrid the club is now being run; considering the hype-jobs we now have as players compared to years gone by; considering we have a totally inexperienced manager/trainer; considering how incompetent we are in the transfer markets; considering how garbage we are on the pitch; considering how we have totally wasted the opportunity to attract players whilst in the Champions League (you know we won't be there next year...)...

And putting Phil Fecking Jones on a 5 year contract, I mean... come on, wow... The only thing missing is Lingard's new 5 year contract to complete the comedy.

The considerations on how fast our free-fall from grace is, there would be a mass exodus from season ticket holders I suspect. £1K a year for a season ticket, plus cup games to support this absolute mess of a club. No thank you. We'll watch it passively on TV from now on, if that...

This is definitely not the club we fell in love with, and have supported for 40+ years.

Depressed though? No chance, there are far more important things in life.

Last edited:

MUFC OK

Hell yes, it's affecting my job. More fool me, I know..

RUCK4444

What I find is that as I get older I try to let it impact on me less however when you already have a history of being clinically depressed, as I do, it inevitably impacts your depression levels because football is something that has a big part in most of our lives. Regardless if it's a game or not, your emotionally invested in it, if you worship your club like many of us do, a win makes you feel on top of the world and a loss can ruin your weekend, if you add depression on top of that then it becomes an issue.

The same way that all factors in your life have a positive or negative impact on you, when I'm down a loss or particularly the hysterical reaction this club receives after every loss is hard to listen to and does act like an extra weight to bring you down that you could really do without.

I find myself drifting further and further away from football on the whole, especially with VAR now which I despise but even more so due to the forever surrounding circus of negativity that tends to follow United, it's a burden of being such an institution within the game, I understand that but it does become tiresome. Heavy lies the crown as they say, even without trophies and success we make the back pages.

Which is a shame as football is one of the only things I enjoy to pass the time outside of work, so it's a lose-lose situation for me. I tell myself to stop watching altogether at times but it's impossible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, the caf is way more depressing than the club itself. Maybe it's because United are the only successful sports club that I support but I'm not surprised nor distraught by the way things have gone since 2013, I expected us to not get our act together until at least 2020. And it's also worth remembering that while we are not great anymore, we are also not terrible, we are an above average club that has the tendency to mess up presumably easy things. We have become AS Roma.

dmode

I think the frustration comes from Pogba really... it speaks by itself:

He was one of our best propects... whom we let go for free and then bought back at at 105m (right?) thinking that he would be our saviour, this is madness, or should we call it a heist?

It's understandable why the fans are exasperated because we and our team are held hostage with Pogba, his resale price has become one half/third of his actual price and we all know that our squad will do well (or better) without him.

He is still being played, with rare display of brilliance, because everyone knows that he might still have the potential and on a financial point of view it's like we're desperately looking for a return on benefit.

On paper Pogba shows everything that Manchester United needs but on the field the situation is very different.

So here it is... any idea how to address this?

downxandxout

Supports Manc...ini
Doesn't help being unemployed. Spend so much time refreshing the transfer thread and watching fan TV, hoping something will change. Going out for a beer to take my mind off it.

SinNombre

No, the caf is way more depressing than the club itself. Maybe it's because United are the only successful sports club that I support but I'm not surprised nor distraught by the way things have gone since 2013, I expected us to not get our act together until at least 2020. And it's also worth remembering that while we are not great anymore, we are also not terrible, we are an above average club that has the tendency to mess up presumably easy things. We have become AS Roma.
We are still at worst the 4th best club in England which is still miles better than Roma.

Our fanbase is way more toxic than the results.

MoskvaRed

What is weird is that we have gone straight from, for 20 years, regarding finishing 2nd as a bad season to, for 8 years and counting, not even believing we can compete for the title. Even Liverpool under Evans, Benitez and Rodgers (or United under Docherty, Sexton and Atkinson) thought they might win it some years. We, with good reason, don’t even dare to dream anymore .

iHicksy

It's not United the team per se. It's more the knowing that whatever happens on the pitch won't be built upon or supported by the people in charge. Having such incompetent people running the club into the ground who only care about instagram likes, maketability and sales, and who seem to be huge ego-maniacs that only have their own interests at heart kills any enjoyment I get from watching us play. I went into this season full of hope that we were heading in the right direction and that a few more signings would finally see us become an exciting force to be reckoned with that would push for the top two spots.

This was especially true as Ed was making a lot of noise (again) about the things we could do in the transfer market and i had fully expected us to have the Sancho deal wrapped up months ago and it would just be a case of dotting the i's. However, Wooward and Judge's complete lack of care for improving the team on the pitch has killed any hope I have of United ever becoming a power again whilst they are both at the club.

It's the hope that kills ya'

wilkie1990

Get real! People may be angry, disappointed or upset with the club but to say it is making you depressed is an absolute insult to those who deal with actual depression.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I find this thread quite spookily timed tbh

I've been struggling with work for the last few months and today I got home and realised my work is actually making me depressed, I then came on here for the first time today and caught up with the days events and it actually did make me feel even worse so while on its own the answer would be no I can definitely say the club can be a contributing factor

Tiber

Ive accepted United are what they are since the horrors of the LVG/Toxic One era.

pacifictheme

Nah. It's just football. I love football and thr club and it's shit we've been replaced by city and Liverpool but no. More important things to worry about.

The_Midfielder

Do we continue watching United if we know we will not win anything in the near future .. with these leeches as the owners and knowing on the back of your mind that the stars , Rashford, Greenwood,Pogba might move elsewhere for trophies..

peridigm

Ive accepted United are what they are since the horrors of the LVG/Toxic One era.
Same. I used to get so pissed off when we'd lose or play shit and win or play great but have 2 shots on goal and win 1-0. Most fecking boring time watching us under LVG. Now I don't give a shit if we win or lose. Not like I can change it.

Womp

idiot
Same. I used to get so pissed off when we'd lose or play shit and win or play great but have 2 shots on goal and win 1-0. Most fecking boring time watching us under LVG. Now I don't give a shit if we win or lose. Not like I can change it.
That depends. Can you play RW or DM lad?

sillwuka

I love this club and want us to succeed. I miss the days under Fergie as it's all I knew growing up. I've been able to enjoy moments since then but it's been short lived and I accept it.

United and what we do as a club - the transfers dealings and weekly performances are just talking points now. I find that I get upset about how we handle things as a club but what can we do to change it. Nothing.

This club is part of my life but it will never rule it. It's a tiny part of it in the grand scheme of things.

lsd

The Oracle
Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.

These threads make me depressed

Bondi77

The thing that I find not depressing but annoying are the fans who constantly want shiny new toys at the club and lose interest in them two minutes after they wear a Utd jersey and then start criticising them.
We have a youth product who has just come into the first team and scored goals for fun playing on the right and yet it is all doom and gloom if we don’t get Sancho.
Get a grip FFS!!

SinNombre

The thing that I find not depressing but annoying are the fans who constantly want shiny new toys at the club and lose interest in them two minutes after they wear a Utd jersey and then start criticising them.
We have a youth product who has just come into the first team and scored goals for fun playing on the right and yet it is all doom and gloom if we don’t get Sancho.
Get a grip FFS!!
And then they will complain about their new shiny toy in 12 months and want it replaced.

If I was an admin, I would ban the word shambles from this site.

United doesn't want to sign crocked Bale on crazy wages. Shambles.

United refuses to sign Reguilon with a buyback clause. Shambles.

United refuses to pay 20m for Telles who they can sign on free in a few months. Shambles.

United doesn't want to pay 120m for Sancho with covid uncertainty. Shambles.

Why do these guys even support United if all they want are half a dozen transfers every summer?

GoldanoGraham

Come on......there were many times back in the 80’s and early 90’s where we were buying good players randomly yet Liverpool were winning everything hands down.....

Look at successful teams over the years - you just add to tweak and motivate what you have - when you make wholesale changes you rarely get the results as quickly as you want (and nowadays you’ll be sacked quickly if things don’t go right).....Chelsea and Lampard current example

we don’t need 4 or 5 new players....we just need a couple - in the right areas.....

We now live in a world of social media - Twitter and Forums that are rife with bullshit - whatever you think of our management, they cannot be the clueless clowns that many think, they are all successful businessman running one of the worlds most global sports entities.....it’s just the popularity of the club and brand that gets us linked and used by media hounds looking for click bait ......

as frustrating as it appears, the club officials says nothing on rumours or speculation, so the media just drum it up, I’ve no idea what we are really working on but I’m sure that something will come to fruition.....we’ve signed DvDB and that’s great, one more quality player and that could be the difference, however I really don’t think that that player will be Sancho as it’s too late.

where the club goes wrong is it stays quiet through these times.....therefore allowing the social media channels to spew nonsense

I really hope that we can learn what has or hasn’t been going on behind the scenes over the last few months as confusion is causing depression at the Caf

Fooza

And then they will complain about their new shiny toy in 12 months and want it replaced.

If I was an admin, I would ban the word shambles from this site.

United doesn't want to sign crocked Bale on crazy wages. Shambles.

United refuses to sign Reguilon with a buyback clause. Shambles.

United refuses to pay 20m for Telles who they can sign on free in a few months. Shambles.

United doesn't want to pay 120m for Sancho with covid uncertainty. Shambles.

Why do these guys even support United if all they want are half a dozen transfers every summer?
How about wanting a new board this summer instead? Cause this board is nothing but a shambles at getting anything done. And no I'm not talking about just getting players in, I'm talking about getting football people in too.

Sometimes it isn't about shiny new toys, its about running a multi-billion club well.

Fooza

Get a grip FFS!!
Are we going to rely on Greenwood to be our regular right winger now, at 19 years poor lad. He will end being run into the ground. (Also, he really is more of a striker then a winger but too tired to argue this point)

I don't really understand this mentality of putting hope in just youth, under fergie we would usually have an experience first team and bed in youth slowly whilst they around top players.

I get all the Sancho hysteria is over the top, but it's just as naive to think that we got Greenwood, that suddenly we will be okay.

We need to strenghten i.e the players we have and to get in new quality players, thats the reality of the situation. Otherwise we ain't closing no gaps to liverpool and city.

Tel074

But these muppets make up a large part of our fanbase?
Yeah a online fanbase who contribute their thoughts online and nothing much else ? The match going supporter's and the online fans have largely a completely different outlook on the team the club and the owners

Jericho

I haven't give full focus to match in a few years. Usually on the laptop or phone while it's on. Not winning is bad but it's the terrible football that makes it all so unbearable to watch.

Tyrion

I just pay less attention to the football. I also follow rugby, GAA and Formula 1. When United are rubbish, I dont really care about it.

OleTheGreat

It's not got me down as such because I'm a practical person and can guess how things work out. I'm a huge Man United fan but if I get fed up of the football we play, I just switch to watching a different game just to get my mind off of it. Sometimes we play such horrendous football and that may not be just because of the owners, coaches must take responsibility as well. Some of the lower table teams play pretty good football and it's at the least watchable. There is simply no pattern in our play, it just takes a flow. Of course our managers should be backed but what you gonna do. I just want us to play some decent football because it's been ages since we actually played throughout the season and we are due one. I hope we get Sancho.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Depressed? No.

I know its a shitshow, but if you get depressed you either have not experienced any serious hardship in your life or you invest too much into it. And i know we have had a fall from grace the last years, but imagine supporting Blackburn or Nottingham Forrest

Yeah a online fanbase who contribute their thoughts online and nothing much else ? The match going supporter's and the online fans have largely a completely different outlook on the team the club and the owners
I’m not saying the online fans are don’t contribute anything but if you take the two entities of match going fans and online fans - their views are not necessarily the same, and are often different.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
I am already depressed because of personal reasons. I seek football as an aid to get some happiness in life but I guess I have to follow a different sport now.
Completely relate with this mate. Football and watching us play was like an escape from everything else and the times we were doing alright in the last 7 years - few months under LVG and Jose and the first few months under Ole was probably the happiest I've been for a while.
This transfer window has been an absolute nightmare. I see posts here saying a transfer window shouldn't affect your life so much but repeating the same mistake of not strengthening after a positive season is infuriating. It's depressing to see the club make the same mistakes again and again just when it seems like we can turn the corner with a couple of good signings.

Reactions: Sultan

Loon

:lol:
Doesn't help being unemployed. Spend so much time refreshing the transfer thread and watching fan TV, hoping something will change. Going out for a beer to take my mind off it.
I wish you all the best, man. Hope things change for the better.