Are Utd Making You Depressed?

stevoc

It is depressing to see United run by clueless bankers and venture capitalists while the likes of City and Pool have actual football men with a clear vision running the show, yes.
Genuine question who are the football men at Liverpool?

Fts 74

Utd is a big part of a lot of people's lives.

When I was in my teens/early 20's going to games I lived and breathed utd.

Now I'm in my late 40's I still get wrapped up in it watching sometimes, Sunday was like an out of body experience watching how bad that was, definitely the worst performance I can remember in a long time.

Usually after an hr or so win or lose I move on bit different after Sunday but no it doesn't make me depressed.

stevoc

Yep, just looking at different threads, people baying for blood, call the manager all names under the sun. I do find it all pathetic. I'm reasonably reserved about how United results affect me compared to previous years as there are more important things to focus on.
Yeah how quickly lots of people seemed to turn on Ole has been more disappointing for me over the last few weeks. It's ok to think he's not the right man, out of his depth or to want him replaced etc, but the vitriol spewed towards a club legend has been pathetic.

Cantonagotmehere

I have thought we needed a different manager for a while, but I have been happy to root for Ole and the team and see how the year goes.......that all blew up this weekend. I am for sure bummed out and really have no faith with him in charge. I was hoping he would be removed with anyone plugged in as we tried for Conte, Zidane etc..... Sad times indeed. It sucks.

ch1rt

No, I follow various teams in different sports and sometimes you are good and sometimes you aren't. A few of my teams are doing well and that makes me happy, but if a teams performance is making me feel bad I just tune out.
Basically, I try not to attach myself to outcomes and just enjoy the good times when they come.

I still support my teams during the bad times but I can safely say it doesn't effect my mood negatively. Only positively if things are going well.

ExoduS

They are def not making me depressed but Man UTd is ruining my mood in unnecessary sorta way. I might drop watching the games if this trend continues. I did stop watching majority of the games under Jose.

I am sad that Ole project is clearly and rapidly collapsing. I had higher hopes.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You can't let some fat, greasy bastard living off his father's money in Florida make you depressed.

tomaldinho1

More bemused than depressed. We’re just run in such an odd way, sentiment heavy and slow.

Bondi77

It is only a game and the people involved are making a fortune win or lose.
Disappointed...Yes but there are more important things in life.

RedIan

Lowers my mood when we loose but it doesn’t last. Far more important things in life, family friends health..

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Probably just getting older and more mature so better at dealing with it. Feel like United have fecked me off that much the last few years that I just havnt as many fecks to give anymore. Also having children I just have to keep reminding myself that I can't let myself get down and take frustrations out on them at home. That's probably the easiest way to escape. That and switching the phone, Internet etc off and going for a walk/run to clear the head. Just keep reminding yourself there's more important things in life. Particularly your family and your health

Twisted Nerve

I've been numb to it for a while. I used to dwell on a loss for the whole day but now I just give a little shrug because it's kind of the norm.

wolvored

I've become emotionless. I dont get that mad if we lose or that elated if we win. Im in my 60s so could be my age, but since VG days my emotions have become flatlined mainly. I was mad when we lost the Europa final last season, but usually not surprised when we lose with a manager and coaching team who are clearly incompetent at this level. I would say sadly its more a surprise we win these days. Fergie years spoilt us I suppose.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Not in a wider sense but with football, absolutely. I used to love football but it’s hard to really enjoy it when the club you live and breathe don’t give a feck about any sort of ambition and are stuck in a pathetic nostalgia trip. To make it even worse, our three biggest rivals are well organised great teams with fantastic vision and management from top to bottom.

Dante

Average bang
Not right now.

After the Moyes, LvG and Mourinho debacles, I genuinely worried about the short-to-medium term future of Manchester United.

But with this Ole team, I see a squad that's ready to take the next step under a better manager.

It was only a few weeks ago that I thought we had a chance of winning the league. Of course, it's disappointing that we're out of the title race now. But unlike the last few managerial changes, I feel like we're only an evolution away rather than a complete revolution.

This is the closest we've been to being a proper team again since SAF. I can't be depressed at that. The Premier League was always a 1 in 4 shot at best anyways.

LoneStar

More pissed off like. I mean, I won't lose sleep over it. You have to realise there is very little you can do to change it. And it's a game of kicking ball at the end of the day.

Even the banter from mates will soon turn to pity like it's been happening with Arsenal :lol:

Josep Dowling

Depressed purely because we have the resources to compete but every level of management at the club are incompetent, inexperienced or both.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Not anymore. I detached myself from the club around 2014 just to decrease the amount of potential pain and cringe the board and its decisions bring.

Challenging Top4 and trying to win Europa League is crap. As long as the owners lack ambition, I cannot trust the club providing us the deserved entertainment, emotions and pleasure which football should bring. It's like being in a relationship where you see some change during dire times and you still a bit hope that maybe, maybe it still turns out fine. But the mind doesn't forget and is staying alert. You just know that at the end of the day, it's still a dump but has silver or golden glitter on it.

UpWithRivers

Im old enough to not let it bother me so much anymore but my son just got into football this year and started supporting United. Not because I pushed it on him he just chose himself. I've waited for this for years. I mean whats better than watching a match with your son and bantering about football. The whole Newcastle sht has just magnified it. As much as it hurts to say it I just cant see a future in supporting United. Well not a happy one. Just season after season of mediocracy.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Depression is a very serious illness. Feels underhand to compare feeling a bit down because your sports team is doing badly to actual depression.

r1z3mu

More I read replies more I get a feeling that we are becoming Arsenal of Manchester. Stay in top 4, make money for owners and basically that's it. Actually my feeling is that we are worse than Arsenal because we spend a lot more money. We have manager who spent close to £450m in three years to get blown to pieces by Liverpool after "all progress we've made". Of course fans will be depressed - something so dear and good slowly becomes so average and boring. Actually it's worse - we are joke of world of football. Now I will wait for standard "stop complaining", "it's only 8 or 10 games", "need more time", "if only we had DM"...... :confused:.

Sorry but I need to get it off my chest.

matt10000

Of course.
What pisses me off though is, calling players, managers, staff, "thick, stupid, incompetent, disgraceful" etc, by people who's only responsibility is writing a coherent post on here, and they can't even manage that.
Spot on.

Member 101269

It was a bad weekend; United lost, Lewis lost..

Steak with mushrooms and skinny fries, wine and date night worked a treat.

matt10000

Im old enough to not let it bother me so much anymore but my son just got into football this year and started supporting United. Not because I pushed it on him he just chose himself. I've waited for this for years. I mean whats better than watching a match with your son and bantering about football. The whole Newcastle sht has just magnified it. As much as it hurts to say it I just cant see a future in supporting United. Well not a happy one. Just season after season of mediocracy.
That is life and that is football.

A football club is for life not Christmas.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s the hope that kills you…

I genuinely thought we’d be contenders this year but we’re miles off, now I have come to terms with that fact it’s much easier to accept the poor results.

lex talionis

No, not depressed. United became what it is now some time ago and I'm resigned to it. I can't give you an exact date -- maybe the date the Glazers took control of the club -- but the club has long been little more than a marketing juggernaut and not an competitive enterprise completely committed to winning trophies. With every new season I have hope that we've turned the corner but whether it's in October or November it becomes painfully obvious that we haven't turned a corner. So, the collapse we've seen over the last month or so is nothing all that new to be depressed about.

Westerkerk

If football is making you depressed, something you cannot influence in anyway, then you need to take a serious step back from it. Your mental health is more important than a sports game played by multi millionaires. Seriously, I mean it, if you have depression because your team is losing, please seek the advice of a medical professional. It's not healthy and it's not worth it.

rk4utd

It’s all become so common place unfortunately. My wife thought i was in a bad mood after the game on Sunday when I got back but that was more to do with the parking fine I could have avoided if I’d left at half time with the other disillusioned thousands…..I used to get down after a defeat before my kids came along - now I just shrug my shoulders as I explain to my son - who has been brought up on Moyes et al - that I was spoilt for the glory days but they will return - god knows when though…..

George The Best

If football is making you depressed, something you cannot influence in anyway, then you need to take a serious step back from it. Your mental health is more important than a sports game played by multi millionaires. Seriously, I mean it, if you have depression because your team is losing, please seek the advice of a medical professional. It's not healthy and it's not worth it.
Cos Our Very Inefective Defence can hurt you

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not depressed but certainly I am losing interest. These days I don’t even realise when is the kickoff unless I check this place or PL app which I didn’t need before. I actually forgot the starting time of Liverpool kickoff and tuned in when we were 3-0 down. 10 years ago that was unthinkable. Would miss parties or even marriage function to watch United play likes of Derby but now can’t be bothered to remember Liverpool game kickoff.
Still somehow watch every game possible but if this continues then I might start skipping matches as well.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not depressed but certainly I am losing interest. These days I don’t even realise when is the kickoff unless I check this place or PL app which I didn’t need before. I actually forgot the starting time of Liverpool kickoff and tuned in when we were 3-0 down. 10 years ago that was unthinkable. Would miss parties or even marriage function to watch United play likes of Derby but now can’t be bothered to remember Liverpool game kickoff.
Still somehow watch every game possible but if this continues then I might start skipping matches as well.
That's weird. Almost like we were pretty good ten years ago and now you can't be arsed?

NewUser777

Equally optimistic before every game. Can’t wait for kick off. Been a few disappointments of late, and I try to stay away from the online football experts when we loose. Some losses are hard to take, also how crap we play at times. What makes me depressed is our fans. I am ashamed how a large portion is expressing themselves. It’s more embarrassing than loosing 0-5 to our rivals, and that loss hurt!

lilcurt

This week is the first in my life I have worried about my mental health. I was already down lately but the Liverpool result has really impacted me. Luckily I have had the week of work for half term but all I've done is looked at Twitter since to weekend getting more and more depressed about the state of the club.

I've snapped at my partner and been a little short tempered with the kids, it got to the point this afternoon I suggested they go out without my as I new I'd be terrible company. I'm sat here now, with no appetite, emotionally exhausted and at somewhat of a loss at what I should do.

I tell myself I'm powerless over this and try the "it's only a game" inner-monologue but it doesn't work. I have followed the club for 30 years, my best memories revolve around United and it's my only real interest, hobby, passion. Never have I felt so unappreciated as a fan and helpless as to what is coming.

Typing this out is actually helping a little, oddly.

I'll leave it at that, feels good to be able to vent with perhaps a few like-minded others.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That's weird. Almost like we were pretty good ten years ago and now you can't be arsed?
Not being arsed would not be correct because I have hardly miss any match which I could watch. Don’t care about trophies that much. Have seen United win way too many to care for a good amount of time. Atleast if we had style of football that was appealing, I would be less disappointed than what I am right now. Maybe my expectation of being entertained is too much