Are Utd Making You Depressed?

Stookie

Nurse bell end
In an answer to the op question, no not really. The days of letting football ruin my life are way behind me. Jeez years ago I’d be proper shitted off for a month after the result the other day but now I just shrug my shoulders and get on with things that really matter like work, family and friends etc

Jericho

In an answer to the op question, no not really. The days of letting football ruin my life are way behind me. Jeez years ago I’d be proper shitted off for a month after the result the other day but now I just shrug my shoulders and get on with things that really matter like work, family and friends etc
Good man, same as that. When it's all out of your control anyway there's no point in letting it ruin your day.

pawanraj

While I've never been a big fan of Ole as manager, after the Leicester game was the first time I felt like I needed a break from watching ManUtd every week. I skipped Atalanta, but still tuned in for Liverpool (masochism maybe?).

But the fact that we were 4-0 down in the first half against Liverpool didn't feel surprising or shocking. I realized I was resigned to the club being poor, and the whole thing being a circus. In 25 years of supporting the club, for the first time, hope has really left. This is why I decided to take a break from watching and will not be tuning in for a bit.

Maybe a new manager will come in and I will hope again, but for now, I am taking a break from ManUtd.

We need an rvn

I can understand why some people are genuinely getting depressed at supporting United at the moment.

Something that for years has given us huge pleasure and over the last few years hasn't. People have routines and if their Saturday's are going to United / pub to watch the match and most of the time walk away with a nice feeling are now walking away angry and frustrated.

Basically you need to replace where your happiness comes from. So either start supporting City / Liverpool, or realise it's just a game and stop it letting affect you so much.

Easier said than done though for some

Polar

United’s performance, especially last month, has made me depressed.

Reading this forum the last days has made me even more depressed. Looks like Redcafe has become an arena for extremist who hate United (the players, manager, coaching team and the board). I’m not sure if Redcafe is representative for the the average or genuine United supporter right now.

United experience a difficult time and I know people are disappointed, but it doesn’t excuse very derogatory expressions towards people who works for the best of our club. We shouldn’t balancing on the edge of being hateful towards our own men.

Ole and the players have disappointed and embarrassed us, but many supporters on Redcafe have embarrassed me even more. Expect more decency, also after 0-5 against Liverpool.

Josh 76

If we had got battered 5-0 by Liverpool at home 20 years ago, I would have been suicidal.

Now a days Football doesn’t matter to me as much. It still hurts losing to those feckers, but I get over it easier. As for the way UTD are playing, I guess I’m use to it. It’s been 9 years since we were a great team. I went to school in the 80s, and that was really tough. I guess I’ve been through it in my childhood living the dark days of UTD.

I just want to thank god that I lived my young adult life through the Fergie years when all that mattered was Football!

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I cancelled my trusted subscription to Cartoon Network. Ole is providing more than his fair share of diversion, and then some. The 5-0 win made me look glum after reality set in after an hour or two after the final whistle, but seeing Ole clapping the United faithful - those that proved that they were symbiotic with their seats i.e. have not left the stadium by half time - put a big grin on my face. It made me want to take out my old flute and toot again the melodies of Pease Pudding Hot. Ole is like a pandemic faun, without the flute and without the goat legs, something that can be said about the actual GOAT too. Each Liverpool goal increased my joy as I let the bolt of Odin (or is it Thor?. Nah, it's Indra) fall on the shell of a manager that is Ole. I was Ole out since the start of the process. I'm glad that my faith in him has been vindicated 100%. Else how would I know if I still had half a brain above that beating, large red heart that was United's since 1993. Reality, like an avuncular uncle, always rewards those that keep in touch with it.

izec

There are other things in life that make me depressed. No time and space for United to do it. But i enjoy the meltdowns and banter on here.

Chairman Steve

I enjoy a good bitching about it then once I’ve got it off my chest, I move on to other interesting things I like. No point getting depressed about it. Just roll with the punches and know that there will be plenty more punches down the line, and even some great times.

This is why I couldn’t be one of those legit top reds who seemingly are nothing but Man United the entire lives. Those guys seem to have quite literally taken Shanklys famous quote and adopted it as a life creed. I hope they can escape from that aspect of their lives when the chips are down like now, otherwise they’re fecked.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've been following United since the early 1970's, I've experienced all the ups and downs, all the high and the lows over those decades.
Honestly I have never felt as frustrated or disillusioned as I do these days.

In the past, if we had the wrong manager or a poor player, or things were going badly, even in the darkest times, I just always felt that the club would put that right at the first opportunity.
I don't have that faith anymore, decision after decision just has me shaking my head in disbelief.
All I see is incompetence at every level and an unwillingness to even acknowledge that.....:lol: :lol:

CallyRed

They are making me angry and I’m constantly irritable, having a go at my wife, shouting at the kids.

Then I realised, I don’t have a family.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I've been following United since the early 1970's, I've experienced all the ups and downs, all the high and the lows over those decades.

In the past, if we had the wrong manager or a poor player, or things were going badly, even in the darkest times, I just always felt that the club would put that right at the first opportunity.
I don't have that faith anymore, decision after decision just has me shaking my head in disbelief.
All I see is incompetence at every level and an unwillingness to even acknowledge that.....:lol: :lol:
Hush, dear Sputnik (or 'fellow traveller' to the layman), say not so. If you're thinking of this despite experiencing the indignity of relegation, then it may be the Internet that is playing havoc with your lenses.

matt10000

Experiencing the days of the 70s and 80s made the Fergie era so much more satisfying. Many fans have never experienced the lows and the good news is when we are back up there it will be so much more satisfying for them, unless of course we manage to achieve it under Ole or anyone else they don’t agree with, in which case they will bitch and moan about the way it was achieved and harp on about the fact it was down to the players despite the sabotage of useless management blah blah.
Fans say how depressed they are should realise that this is how it is for the fans of the majority of clubs who never win titles cups and this is normal jnless you feel that we are simply entitled because of our name.

MoskvaRed

I think with the right manager appointment the situation is not hopeless, even with this ownership. Post-Fergie, we have so far appointed a decent but limited top 8 manager, two has beens and a competition winner. If (and that is a very big if) they pick a talented manager not past his prime, we can still compete.

Gavinb33

Not depressed no.

But I don't look forward to matches and being ST holder and going OT generally takes up to 12 hours of my day factoring in travel its hard at the minute to get excited for games, not as hard as LvG era United though but at least under Louis I knew we weren't getting a pasting

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If you're thinking of this despite experiencing the indignity of relegation, then it may be the Internet that is playing havoc with your lenses.
Not at all, because even with the relegation, you always felt that we'd be rebuilt and come straight back up, better and stronger, which we did.
And I reckon that a lot of older geezers such as myself would rank that 2nd division season and the Doc years as some of the very best years to be a Red.

Loony BoB

But I don't look forward to matches and being ST holder and going OT generally takes up to 12 hours of my day factoring in travel its hard at the minute to get excited for games, not as hard as LvG era United though but at least under Louis I knew we weren't getting a pasting
On the flipside, you could point out that since SAF, Ole is the only manager to have our team score more than four goals in any domestic game, and he's done it ten times already total, so at least while you might get a pasting you also might be able to see your team give someone a pasting. The only other times were both in Europe, 5 goals - Moyes vs. Leverkusen and LVG vs. Midtjylland.

I genuinely think we just need to get a better defence coach and a quality DM. Our attack isn't an issue, and Ole is good at guiding the attack. Even SAF relied on quality defensive assistant managers, SAF was always focused on the attack. Ole is the same, it seems. I just noticed we also have four assistant managers. Which of them is focusing on our defensive coaching right now? Google says McKenna but I'm not sure how reliable it's being.

youmeletsfly

There are other things in life that make me depressed. No time and space for United to do it. But i enjoy the meltdowns and banter on here.
I second this, the meltdowns are something else.

On a serious note, I was looking to come see a few games this season. But no fecking way I come from the end of the world Romania to the UK to watch this fecking trash, especially considering it costs 2-3 grand for a 2 or 3 days trip. I'd better spend money on implanting a dick on my knee than watch us at the moment.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Not depressed but obviously watching this football doesn’t lift the mood.

Now if we'd lost 5-0 to Liverpool some years ago I wouldn't have spoken to anyone for a week probably.

It's all a matter of perspective, as the Buddhists say. Ultimately it's a game of football; don't get it out of proportion. The ancient Stoics said that only a person who loses their virtue has a reason to truly despair; all else is tolerable. The writings of such thinkers have been very useful over the past few years as a United fan.

If you allow it to get you down, it will.

johanovic

Life is to important to get depressed over football...stopped watching a United game at halftime for the first time in my life and spent the rest of the day with my sons playing football. BUT I´m very angry at the mismanagement of this club that I love at almost every level bar commercial level. United have spent more on transfers than any other top club in total for the past 10 years. We are paying the highest wage packet in the PL by far. We have failed in every manager decision we have made since Fergie. OGS is so out of his depth it´s staggering to watch. Playing Ronaldo,Bruno,Rashford and Greenwood against Liverpool is astounding. 4 players that hardly do no defensive work at all against a high pressing team with pace and high workethic. Not even a young kid playing FM would have taken that decision.

Josh 76

Life is to important to get depressed over football...stopped watching a United game at halftime for the first time in my life and spent the rest of the day with my sons playing football. BUT I´m very angry at the mismanagement of this club that I love at almost every level bar commercial level. United have spent more on transfers than any other top club in total for the past 10 years. We are paying the highest wage packet in the PL by far. We have failed in every manager decision we have made since Fergie. OGS is so out of his depth it´s staggering to watch. Playing Ronaldo,Bruno,Rashford and Greenwood against Liverpool is astounding. 4 players that hardly do no defensive work at all against a high pressing team with pace and high workethic. Not even a young kid playing FM would have taken that decision.
You’re last paragraph sums it up well. Two seasons ago Liverpool came to OT in much better form and Utd were in much worse form than on Sunday. Ole played a blinder that day and his tactics were spot on. (1-1, it was the only points Liverpool dropped for a few months). That’s why I don’t understand what the feck he was playing at on Sunday. Makes it worse that if he had played the same tactics he did 2 seasons ago, I think Utd could have won!

Hughie77

With the way the world works now its either up up up or down. The British press loves to kick you when your down. And no matter how this current manager has done or doing he's been kicked by those in the press and by the UTD follower, he's making me feel depressed because we all know the squad of players we got and he can't get a tune out of them that's depressing.
I made a descion after the Leicester game when comfortably 1 nil up and in total control they decide to just shoot themselves in the foot, not to watch another game until there is a change of some sort. And I haven't I won't watch Saturday afternoon. I may watch the Midweek game in CL only because we have a slight chance . Depressing yes and no. Frustrating yes yes because we can all see what squad we got .

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Our garbage online fanbase. Trash people who go on posts like this to spew the bitterness.

vlad93

Genuine question, is following this club now negatively impacting your day-to-day life?

Because if I'm honest, knowing how we're being run and having our reputation destroyed, I'm left feeling crap.

I can deal with losing, I don't expect to be winning trophies all the time. But knowing how - and to what end we're operating - I just don't recognize us right now.
Absolutely. I don't think Keita should have seen the ball or Salah to get free run.
I sang Mo Salah Salah Mo because his name has a catchy beat. Lads. I'm a traitor. I think Mo is an elite footballer like De Bruyne. If our scouting was as good we would have these players here.

Gums

I‘m not feeling depressed. I think there are plenty of things that are way worse and if they happened, I‘m sure most of us would realize that our UTD mood is just a -admitted, painful and frustrating - daily mood impacting blip.

Being a newbie, I was looking forward to posting my thoughts here, instead of just lurking in the shadows and reading as I‘ve done in the past. But the situation is kind of squeezing any fun out of it. I‘ll open a thread, sometimes even draft a reply, but I usually just delete it. I think, what‘s the point? Even if I post something lightheartedly, somebody is going to complain about Ole, a second is going to say it wouldn‘t have happened if Martial gave a hoot, and a third will say it definitely would change if vdB would get a chance.

I understand the frustration, I‘m frustrated, too, but even if Utd played crap, I used to enjoy the opinions here. If I came here after a crap game, I‘d feel better after roaming around here for half an hour. Now, it seems to be increasing my negativity.

I should probably just delete this draft, too, but here goes…

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I have just been betting against United before every game lately and have actually made a decent bit of money, which stops me being as gloomy when we do end up losing.

CloneMC16

No. I''m used to us being shit at this point. LVG's and Mourinho's era killed a lot of my desire to watch our games. I didn't watch many games at all in between 16-18. I can probably count on one hand the amount of games I watched in Mourinho's 2nd season. Our results were okay that year, but I just lost the desire to watch. Our games were boring and City were too dominant. I've been watching a lot more since Ole came in. Especially since Project Restart last summer, but the results and performances are still poor. I'm more disappointed in what I'm watching. I have enough things in my life to be depressed about to let something I have zero control over make it worse.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No.

If I ever got - genuinely - depressed from watching/following United, I would stop.

I'm old enough to know that football isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Football should never make someone depressed (at least not for more than a day or so).

It's more just disappointing that we have a club that seems to perpetually disappoint every time we think we've rounded a corner. But my fandom and support never affects my day to day life.

Alan Partridge

During Sunday’s game when we were 4 or 5 nil down the camera panned onto a young man united fans not-too-distressed looking face. The commentators remarked something about how his lack of abject misery must be down to him not truly realising what was going on. I found this very ironic.

It’s a football game.

Hester_manc

Not depressed. But they are killing some of my passion for football at the moment. Not my passion for United, but the passion for watching football in general.

Bestofthebest

No.

If I ever got - genuinely - depressed from watching/following United, I would stop.

I'm old enough to know that football isn't very important in the grand scheme of things.
Like you I am not actually depressed but I am getting pretty cheesed off seeing performances like this. Even games where we win or draw I have started to not like what I’m seeing. We are by a long way the worst organised team in the PL and no result surprises me any more. I really think it will take a lot more than a simple change of management to sort this squad into a cohesive and resilient team. I know we have an expensive squad but we lack any workhorses who can disrupt the opposition, someone like Nicky Butt, not easy on the eye but effective. I cannot think any manager will make this lot into a title challenging team.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If the title was changed to, is Ole making you depressed? then I'd say yes. Knowing we have a team that's capable of challenging under his management then watching us perform is utterly draining. Kudos to Ole (or whoever is responsible) for putting it together but can't wait for the day he and his training staff dissappear then maybe I can enjoy United again.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I cannot think any manager will make this lot into a title challenging team.
I don't think so either.

(Unless that manager is close to Fergie's level).

We're lacking individual quality in key positions (central midfield, not least).

The opposition is very strong.

A very good "head coach" (let's call it that) could easily end up trailing that opposition.

Foxbatt

Everyone knows that Ole is not going to win the PL or CL. So what is this talk of turning it around? This is what is making me depressed. Knowing that mediocre club is good enough for the owners and the board. SAF and ex players have to bear a lot of responsibility for this.