Are Utd Making You Depressed?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s always nice to have Saturday game instead of midweek or Sunday as you will have an extra day to cool off before work. feckin yes.

lex talionis

Not depressed, but I am at the point now where if I have something better to do on a United matchday I’m going to do it.

cabbs1989

It still does a bit, but as I’ve got older 32 now, it’s not in my control so I can’t do anything, it’s frustrating as this squad could be so much better, yet West Ham, wolves & even arsenal have an identity, that’s the worst thing, we have varane Bruno greenwood Ronaldo sancho de gea yet they are better coordinated & play for the badge. They press & have intelligence in their gameplay, yet we just have the opposite

allen7

Yes but I’ve overcome this easily many times earlier.

So, after SAF we were not an exciting team to watch and the games slowly started hurting me more especially during Moyes and Van gaal era. And then I’d stop watching united for a brief period of time and again will watch after some recovery. I remember I missed most of the matches during Van gaal and Mourinho end of his era.

After Ole took over, I started again watching and continuing so far. Honestly I do not expect much improvements from Ralf because he’d be limited with funds and players would need time to settle with a new manager.

Just see football as the most important of the least important things in your life. It will help.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Not really. I don't have the emotional attachment to these players for them to have such a strong effect on me. I'll be annoyed for 5 minutes, scoff at how pathetic they all are, then move on with my day.

croadyman

Not depressed but the terrifying thing is there doesn't seem any way out of this mess

croadyman

I have to say that I love the club and always will but I dont like this bunch of players.
This bunch of players is back to the days post Huddersfield away in 18/19 where Neville said something very similar

Xaviboy

We're done as a top club.

Ten Hag or whoever comes in has their work cut out with that squad. We have wasted so much money on players who are just bang average.

Way our midfield is at moment we are going to get beaten heavy again this season a few more times.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This game was on 11pm here and i almost skipped it. With midweek game at 1.30 am, will most price skip it. Its not worth waking up all night for these players.

croadyman

We're done as a top club.

Ten Hag or whoever comes in has their work cut out with that squad. We have wasted so much money on players who are just bang average.

Way our midfield is at moment we are going to get beaten heavy again this season a few more times.
Ten Hag will wait for City and don't blame him because who would want to manage this mix of ego and all round toxicity

Ceeps

Depressed, no. Sad at being resigned to watching rubbish football, yes. So much so I have deliberately not “forced” or even influenced my 7 year old son to support United, and happy to let him find his own team (within reason).

Mylock

I have been a United supporter for 45 years and have gone through some miserable times during this time, but I have to say I feel so disconnected from the club at present.
It's so hard to like anything about the club, most fans have no connection with the players. Everything, and everyone looks so shell shocked, void of inspiration and solutions to the problems.
We are looking for inspiration but can't seem to see where it's going to come from.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Nah, it's called apathy. It's what happens when you become desensitised.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Its the money that's been shoddily thrown around since SAF retirement and the fact the team has practically got nowhere that I find depressing about United.

Nicolarra90

Not anymore for this season.
It usually stops around November when you realize we are nowhere near anything and every win is a bonus.

Wilt

Other than Ronaldo, Greenwood, Varane and a few kids, can’t stand the sight of these players ….they can all go as far as I’m concerned.

m1tch

Yeah same as most are saying, not depressed but disconnected. It's disappointing that I have so little desire to watch United. Neville talked about the squad going from one that wasn't liked by fans becoming liked again under Ole up until this season. I'd go along with that, but now I dislike this squad more than the one Ole inherited. The 'liking them' phase was great under Ole, a reminder of past times, but ultimately all too brief.

Tap

More apathetic, probably because of age.

Plus dropped points. limp performances and trophyless seasons are the norm these days anyway.

Ace

No way ten Hag or another top manager would step down in their career to manage this club in this state.

I feel sorry for Ralf as the worst is still yet to come this season. We have five consecutive games (@ City, vs Spurs, vs Atletico, @ Liverpool, and vs Leicester) from the beginning of March to the beginning of April where the shit is really going to hit the fan.

Will we even be in the top half of the table by April?

Eddy_JukeZ

Not really.

Once you become older, you become more concerned with the important things in life.

I still love watching this club and will always root for United, but I won't let them destroy my mood or anything, when I have more important things in my life to worry about.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Started following Utd roughly 40 years ago, the early days were similar to now in terms of results, but back then at least it was a club, and a team, OK we probably weren't going to win the league but at least we had some sort of identity.

Fast forward to now, we're a business first and foremost, there's no sense of being a club, with shared values, vision, or anything like that, as for being a team? We're miles away, we've a collection of individuals, some are capable footballers but they're a million miles from being a team.

My dad was a Utd supporter since the 50s, but the day the club floated he stopped, always told me when money like that gets involved it ruins it. He never watched another game or took any interest in football after that, he wasn't a football fan, he was a Utd fan, and I'm probably the same.

I'm getting to that point now, I was lucky enough to spend most of my adult life watching Fergies Utd, a proper club, with an identity achieving success.

It pains me to say it but Utd now is a bit of a joke, I think appointing Ole was the last throw of the dice in trying to remain relevant, but that failed, now we're a collection of overpaid individuals, with an interim manager, no identity, scratching our heads as to why our bunch of overpaid players aren't performing, and all we have to look forward to is starting the process all over again in 4 months time.

I wouldn't say it depresses me, it just makes me less interested in following the club as a source of escapism from the monotimies of daily life like it used to.

tenpoless

I'm getting less attached to the club.

Phase 1 : Teenager - defending United players, manager, staffs on goal.com like an idiot
Phase 2 : Adult - defending the club, couldn't give two shits about the players and staff as I see them as temporary and their attitude makes it hard to like them sometimes
Phase 3 : Boomer Adult - indifferent when we're shit even when the opposing fans are mocking us (because we are) but happy when United won or played well

I'm in phase 3 right now. I'm expecting to be in phase 4 by 2030, grandad phase... constantly talking about "back in my days Sir Alex Ferguson.... back in my days Evra played through injury.... back in my days we had Howard Webb.... on 2021 Ronaldo came home after refusing to drink Coca-Cola".

Last edited:

united for life

I'm getting less attached to the club.

Phase 1 : Teenager - defending United players, manager, staffs on goal.com like an idiot
Phase 2 : Adult - defending the club, couldn't give two shits about the players and staff as I see them as temporary and their attitude makes it hard to like them sometimes
Phase 3 : Boomer Adult - indifferent when we're shit even when the opposing fans are mocking us (because we are) but happy when United won or played well

I'm in phase 3 right now. I'm expecting to be in phase 4 by 2030, grandad phase... constantly talking about "back in my days Sir Alex Ferguson.... back in my days Evra played through injury.... back in my days we had Howard Webb.... on 2021 Ronaldo came home after refusing to drink Coca-Cola".
this made me sad. I feel i am already in phase 4

captain666

This game was on 11pm here and i almost skipped it. With midweek game at 1.30 am, will most price skip it. Its not worth waking up all night for these players.
1.30am for me here,with midweek games at 4am,haven't missed a game in a few years but it's seriously disrupting my sleep patterns!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I enjoy United because I enjoy football as a sport.

Whilst losing can be a dissapointment - I don't necessarily watch United only due to their ability to win.

The closest it feels like is watching your son or daughter growing professionally as a footballer - no matter the result, I watch them to give my support.

Even if we get relegated, even if we go for Mourinho Round 2 - whilst I may get fustrated at the decisions or state, my support won't go, because just like I would tell my family; nothing bad is permanent and will change.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
We all knew about the “cycle”. We’ll be back up one day. It’s a good time to filter out the glory hunters. Not saying you all are one of them.

spiriticon

I'd like to see United win a title and CL again before I die. Not even joking.

I'll keep watching but quite frankly I'm a little bit dismayed with modern footballers and modern football rules (FFP, VAR... jesus), so I really don't know how long I can keep it up for.

Maybe I should reinvent my thinking and join the younger generation in simply watching youtube highlights of matches, rather than whole ones. Take everything in short bursts.

Kaos

I guess I was lucky in that my worst days in life have coincided with United's most successful period, so they served as a welcome distraction and something to look forward to. Nowadays my life's great, so I can just laugh at how bad we are. Like many here I'll just find something better to do if I can, if the players don't want to put in the effort then nor should I to watch them.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wont say depressed, and I do watch every game, no matter what the kickoff time is and will continue doing so, but I dont think I'm as emotionally invested now as I was till earlier in the season

croadyman

I guess I was lucky in that my worst days in life have coincided with United's most successful period, so they served as a welcome distraction and something to look forward to. Nowadays my life's great, so I can just laugh at how bad we are. Like many here I'll just find something better to do if I can, if the players don't want to put in the effort then nor should I to watch them.
Yeah if they can't be bothered why should we

Acole9

Outstanding
It gets to a point where you get so angry about it all the anger tails off and you almost just accept the situation.

ShinjiNinja26

I was unable to watch the game last night but seems like that wasn’t a bad thing, I don’t even have the urge to watch the highlights either and I never miss a game unless I absolutely have to but I guess it shows where I am with United currently, this crop of players have sucked every ounce of enjoyment out of watching the team at the moment. It’s an incredibly tough watch every week, it’s like you know you’re going to be disappointed every week watching United but you still do it anyway.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is killing me seeing us play and seeing shit results when i know that on paper we have really good squad. Just need two bloody midfielders ffs

sparx99

We all knew about the “cycle”. We’ll be back up one day. It’s a good time to filter out the glory hunters. Not saying you all are one of them.
They come back when you start winning again

sparx99

It is depressing but I can compartmentalise it for the most part. It’s the constant hope and disappointment that kills you though. So many new dawns that amount to nothing.