Other Are wall mounted TVs worth the hassle?

Tiber

We bought our first home this year and have been gradually adjusting to this strange new reality which allows us to make changes to our home.

I have always fancied a wall mounted TV, but it was never an option while we were renting. Our house is timber framed, so I figured wall mounting was a bad idea but I have recently discovered that if you use the right kit (grip-it gets mentioned a lot... I remember that appearing on dragons den) it will be fine.

Though when actually thinking about the practicalities I do wonder if its worth the hassle. Its not just a matter of sticking the tele on the wall and moving on, have read its best to run the wires through the wall itself - which is something I wouldn't fancy doing myself. I have a Sky Box, PS5 etc plugged into the TV so proper cable management does seem important. I wouldn't be able run the ethernet or Sky cable though the wall, but im sure I could fasten a couple of cables to skirting board with minimal problems.

Any of you folks got a wall mounted TV? Is it worth the hassle? Is professional installation expensive?

You seem to be able to get a bracket very cheaply, but I think I would invest in a good one like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-TV-Wall-Bracket-Mount-Black/dp/B01AYBLPNA/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2O2YNQODIIJJV&dchild=1&keywords=tv+wall+bracket&qid=1606683892&sprefix=tv+,diy,243&sr=8-11

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Depends on why you'd want to mount your TV to the wall. I have mine on a TV cabinet. TV cabinet is used to store my router, consoles and other gadgets and it hides the fiber optic box. It also keeps my TV at an optimal height. Too many times have I seen people wall mount their TV at some ridiculous viewing height.

Another reason why I don't wall mount is the position of my TV inside the living room area. It's not the way of anything. The space that the cabinet occupies would otherwise not be used and it's not in the way of people having to walk past it. At my parents house it's different. They need to wall mount because the TV is in such a position that it gets in the way if there are many people. They also don't have the gadgets I have so a cabinet would just take up space which is useful for them as they host large family gatherings and that's a space that two extra chairs can occupy.

Third reason is the sun. It's not unlikely that in the evening your TV will get an annoying glare from the sun. With a wall mount you will presumaby have some kind of swivel to eliminate the glare. You could also do that for a standing TV but it's not as elegant.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The biggest attraction of mounting a TV is to run all the cables behind the wall and reduce the clutter. Its visually pleasing and also convenient for cleaning if you have a robot vacuum cleaner or such that gets tangled in the wires. If you can't do that, I don't think its worth the hassle as you can move the TV around if you fancy changing the layout of your living room much more easily.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If you can hide the cables it looks really nice.

My one the cables are all over the place so it looks unkept.

Tiber

Depends on why you'd want to mount your TV to the wall. I have mine on a TV cabinet. TV cabinet is used to store my router, consoles and other gadgets and it hides the fiber optic box. It also keeps my TV at an optimal height. Too many times have I seen people wall mount their TV at some ridiculous viewing height.

Another reason why I don't wall mount is the position of my TV inside the living room area. It's not the way of anything. The space that the cabinet occupies would otherwise not be used and it's not in the way of people having to walk past it. At my parents house it's different. They need to wall mount because the TV is in such a position that it gets in the way if there are many people. They also don't have the gadgets I have so a cabinet would just take up space which is useful for them as they host large family gatherings and that's a space that two extra chairs can occupy.

Third reason is the sun. It's not unlikely that in the evening your TV will get an annoying glare from the sun. With a wall mount you will presumaby have some kind of swivel to eliminate the glare. You could also do that for a standing TV but it's not as elegant.

I mainly just want to mount it because I think they usually look great. Though my living room also has a central 'feature wall' which was clearly designed for a fireplace or something, but was left blank because builders don't like spending money. Putting the TV there would fill it nicely.

Totally agree re. not mounting it too high, I have heard of lots of people mounting it nicely ontop of a tall fireplace and realising it wasn't comfortable.

Last edited:

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
My personal opinion is that if you do it, do it well. For example if you mounted on a chimney breast, all wires should be chased in and plastered in with equipment in a sideboard or furniture unit next to it.

No point wall mounting and having wires flapping about and your equipment on a shelf or whatever; it'd look better on a stand.

Tiber

My personal opinion is that if you do it, do it well. For example if you mounted on a chimney breast, all wires should be chased in and plastered in with equipment in a sideboard or furniture unit next to it.

No point wall mounting and having wires flapping about and your equipment on a shelf or whatever; it'd look better on a stand.

I do agree with you, but going by the picture I posted in the PS5 thread last week... I don't think my TV will ever look better on the stand. It doesnt even fit properly on it!

Another advantage of mounting it would be that the whole corner of the room taken up by the TV stand would be opened up

thebelfastboy

I installed my own last year and love it. Part of the reason was to get it out of reach from our 2yr old. Freed up much needed space in the living room too.
I have semi hidden the cables with a small piece of trunking painted the same colour as the wall which is pretty much unnoticeable. I'll send you a pic of you want?

Tiber

I installed my own last year and love it. Part of the reason was to get it out of reach from our 2yr old. Freed up much needed space in the living room too.
I have semi hidden the cables with a small piece of trunking painted the same colour as the wall which is pretty much unnoticeable. I'll send you a pic of you want?
That would be great!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah, trunking is a decent option. I love my tv on the wall, and have it so it can swing out and reposition as well.

Only issue is some people mount them at a neck breaking height.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I do agree with you, but going by the picture I posted in the PS5 thread last week... I don't think my TV will ever look better on the stand. It doesnt even fit properly on it!

Another advantage of mounting it would be that the whole corner of the room taken up by the TV stand would be opened up
Yeah that stand doesn't do it justice. Looking at that pic you posted of the feature wall looks like a no brainer. It would be easy to hide cables in there.

Jack-C20

Where would you put your PS5 and sky box? The timber studs should be no more than 600mm apart so I’d try and fix to at least one to give you a really good fixing. Depending on where your other devices are going you could either get another socket added further up or that one moved up to sit behind the tv. All depends on how far you’re willing to go.

Tiber

Where would you put your PS5 and sky box? The timber studs should be no more than 600mm apart so I’d try and fix to at least one to give you a really good fixing. Depending on where your other devices are going you could either get another socket added further up or that one moved up to sit behind the tv. All depends on how far you’re willing to go.

I have wondered a out this. From looking online, most people seem to have a little cabinet or something sitting under the TV. Nicer than a huge glass TV stand

thebelfastboy

I've mine in a cabinet/sideboard running through slim profile trunking to the tv. Managed to squeeze 2 slim long hdmi cables, ethernet cable, tv power cable into it

Jack-C20

I have wondered a out this. From looking online, most people seem to have a little cabinet or something sitting under the TV. Nicer than a huge glass TV stand
In that case it should be fairly simple. You could leave that socket where it is and just plug in an extension lead. Put a couple of brush plates top and bottom for cables. Depending on how long your power lead is for the tv you might be able to feed it down the wall. My only one concern is if I was doing it, knowing my luck they’d have put a bit of timber horizontally between the studs blocking your access. Should be easy enough to tell though by tapping the wall and listening for when you hit something solid.

Jack-C20

I've mine in a cabinet/sideboard running through slim profile trunking to the tv. Managed to squeeze 2 slim long hdmi cables, ethernet cable, tv power cable into it
Done a good job there to be fair. Very well blended in.

Tiber

In that case it should be fairly simple. You could leave that socket where it is and just plug in an extension lead. Put a couple of brush plates top and bottom for cables. Depending on how long your power lead is for the tv you might be able to feed it down the wall. My only one concern is if I was doing it, knowing my luck they’d have put a bit of timber horizontally between the studs blocking your access. Should be easy enough to tell though by tapping the wall and listening for when you hit something solid.
This sounds straightforward enough and I've watched a few YouTube videos. But I'm not sure I fancy cutting holes in the wall.

We have installed curtain poles etc in the stud walls using the little screws that expand when you put them in, and those grip-it things sound perfect for securing a heavy TV stand, but even the idea of cutting the holes for the lead plates makes me feel nervous.

Is this the sort of job where your better getting a joiner (or someone who knows what they are doing) in for an hour?

Skills

Snitch
Don't bother, people mount them too high anyway.

You want the TV to be directly in your line of sight when you're lazing about on your couch.

Tiber

Don't bother, people mount them too high anyway.

You want the TV to be directly in your line of sight when you're lazing about on your couch.
I have a corner sofa, we would be pretty much facing the only wall a TV could be mounted on.

Totally agree re. Mounting them too high though.

Jack-C20

This sounds straightforward enough and I've watched a few YouTube videos. But I'm not sure I fancy cutting holes in the wall.

We have installed curtain poles etc in the stud walls using the little screws that expand when you put them in, and those grip-it things sound perfect for securing a heavy TV stand, but even the idea of cutting the holes for the lead plates makes me feel nervous.

Is this the sort of job where your better getting a joiner (or someone who knows what they are doing) in for an hour?
I’d say if you’re not confident in doing it then get someone in. A handyman would be fine. It’s hard for me to imagine not doing it but then I do it for a living. I’m also happy to get people in though as it ensures it’s done properly. I had someone change the locks on our house recently as I like that peace of mind, even though I was told it’s really easy to do it yourself. I never like putting an estimate of time on something without seeing it in person but if it’s as simple as it appears, it shouldn’t be be any more than a couple of hours so it won’t break the bank. Good luck.

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
we moved our sockets from the wheelchair friendly height the builders had put them at as out TV Bench was too low, and the sockets were all visible. Converted it to a 4 plug plate instead of 2 x 2 plug plates.

Shoes the holes left behind by removed the old sockets.

Channel cut for the trunking to go down below the line of the TV bench

Filled holes

Plastered over the filled holes

TV Up for test fitting

LED strips fitted behind TV

Finished

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

My TV is mounted in the corner. I spent a fortune on a big multi directional arm. Best thing I could have done. It’s brilliant.

Tv folds away into a tiny space when not in use. Whatever seat I pick, the TV can be moved to accomodate. Folding the TV away makes me feel like an adult too.

Acole9

Outstanding
They can be a fecker to put up but once they're up you forget about how much of a nuisance it was.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I moved house last month and finally sorted out hiding all my wires etc last week.

I love it and couldn't deal with it being on a stand as it just adds clutter where I don't need it.

Running wires through the walls (dependant on how far) is really easy. A simple plasterboard saw can cut a box out in seconds, ensure the box is placed behind where your TV is going to sit and you'll never see it.

I expect you'll have some sort of cabinet for consoles, sky etc and you just do the same for the cabinet of bringing the wires out round the back and punching a same cable management box. You'll have it done within an hour.

Tiber

we moved our sockets from the wheelchair friendly height the builders had put them at as out TV Bench was too low, and the sockets were all visible. Converted it to a 4 plug plate instead of 2 x 2 plug plates.

Shoes the holes left behind by removed the old sockets.

Channel cut for the trunking to go down below the line of the TV bench

Filled holes

Plastered over the filled holes

TV Up for test fitting

LED strips fitted behind TV

Finished

That looks amazing! Though also feels like quite a lot of holes in the wall which would make me a bit nervous. But maybe long term plastering over holes like that isn't going to be any sort of issue, growing up my parents always had brick walls

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
About to get rid of ours and just get a unit to put a tv on

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
That looks amazing! Though also feels like quite a lot of holes in the wall which would make me a bit nervous. But maybe long term plastering over holes like that isn't going to be any sort of issue, growing up my parents always had brick walls
You have to sort of live with it with plasterboard walls. its all dot and dab, so you are only weakening small areas of the plasterboard. The TV bracket itself was bolted in to the blockwork behind the plasterboard, so I have no concerns about the TV going anywhere.