Are we chasing too many competitions?

ReallyUSA

... It's fecking Manchester United. The last thing the team needs to lose is conform to some small club mentality.

Havak

Pokemon master
I've thought about this a lot and I think it'll just be a case of Ole having to trust certain players a bit more. They've proved with the result in Paris that they can cut it even in big games.

I'd actually argue the case in the OP of our squad being too thin. Our squad, in terms of an overall squad, is the best in the League bar Man City. It's just that our first XI isn't quite up to the level of City, Liverpool, and maybe Spurs.

ROFLUTION

Some rotation would be fine. Just need to motivate the squad players correctly like Fergie did. Mix it with some of the stars.

Very macho and old school to just believe everyone of our stars can play 100% of the games. Fergie was the master of using the full squad and have a balanced mix.

el3mel

Imagine a big club competing for various competitions. Pretty weird!

lewwoo

The FA cup is still a big deal and one we should never feel we are above. We should go for it 100%.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Wayhey, a Wolves fan. Welcome.

Bit off topic but do you expect Wolves to push on next season for a higher points total? I'd imagine at the moment Wolves could go far in the EL. Some lovely stuff being played in the orange colour this season.
If we get EL, I think we’ll have less points next year in the league but really push for winning the EL. We would need some more serious investment but Fosun will provide that. Probably bias but I feel our team would be up for challenging for the Europa league already atm, a lot of poor sides in it.

Think we’re going to have to fall out for saying orange instead of old gold though :nono:

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
I am 68% certain that this guy is up to no good. He would have us play a group of inexperienced kids on Saturday in order to give his own team, Wolves, an easy ride.

See how clever I am?
:lol::lol:
You’ve caught me.

Gator Nate

I've thought about this a lot and I think it'll just be a case of Ole having to trust certain players a bit more. They've proved with the result in Paris that they can cut it even in big games.

I'd actually argue the case in the OP of our squad being too thin. Our squad, in terms of an overall squad, is the best in the League bar Man City. It's just that our first XI isn't quite up to the level of City, Liverpool, and maybe Spurs.
Agreed. For all the grief they get, it's fairly consistent quality now, though not completely top-shelf. Gonna get a lot of heat, though, for saying it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'll quote/paraphrase Roy Keane when Rio joined his first training session: ''Hey, this is Manchester United...''.

Red00012

People should stop acting as if throwing one competition out of the window will guarantee success in the rest.
Exactly, 2 defeats on the bounce is going to do nothing for us. A win before the break and we’ve a trip to wembley to look forward to.

Vadim

Solsjkaer has made the point that when you’re playing for Utd, you’re supposed to try and win every match and every trophy available.

Whilst I wouldn’t mind us resting players, I agree with the message he’s sending to everyone. It’s been too long that we’ve accepted mediocrity.

If we finish 5th but win the FA Cup, it’s a damn good season.

Irwin99

I hate to see United lose in ANY competition and I hate to see the FA cup being dismissed as this is our best chance of actually winning something this season. Top 4 is the priority but professionals players and fans should be looking forward to the challenges. It's actually amazing to think that our entire season looked over in December and here we are now with three things left to play for :devil:

Trizy

If we get EL, I think we’ll have less points next year in the league but really push for winning the EL. We would need some more serious investment but Fosun will provide that. Probably bias but I feel our team would be up for challenging for the Europa league already atm, a lot of poor sides in it.

Think we’re going to have to fall out for saying orange instead of old gold though :nono:
I agree with the bolded. If you just had a more consistent attacking line you'd win it in my opinion. Defensively and midfield-wise Wolves are solid.

Scholsey2004

One of the more bizarre threads I've seen on here. And I realise that's a high bar.

cyril C

We rest for the whole week for the Wolves QF, so no need to rotate. Semi is another matter

As in the old days, CL >> EPL >> FA, make a few rotation if necessary

Last edited:

soccerMad

I am 68% certain that this guy is up to no good. He would have us play a group of inexperienced kids on Saturday in order to give his own team, Wolves, an easy ride.

See how clever I am?
Why 68 and not 69 :D or 100%? :devil:

Going through this thread, happy that all of you agreed. It is good for the Club, good for the Manager, good for the players and fantastic for the fans to remain in as many competition as we can.

Bring them on.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sorry mate Ole tried to take your advice. Unfortunately the B team progressed us into the quarter finals of the CL

Sereques

Who are these people? Since when is Manchester United chasing too many trophies?

This is what we do every season, This is Us.

tieunhilang

Seriously, FA Cup, Champions League, top four finish with a squad that is patently too thin. I think Ole should be playing the B-team on Saturday against Wolves.
It's not that I don't understand where your concern comes from. But think of it as this way: This is a legit test for Ole as a Manchester United manager. We should aim to win as many trophies as possible. Manchester United fighting on all fronts should be the norm. If players are tired, manager would just rotate. Sir Alex Ferguson did this magnificiently. Ole said the same thing about how it's just the chance for more academy players to grab.

Many people want and wish for Ole to be the permanent manager next season. So this is another test of him that we should have: Fighting on all fronts and rotating players efficiently. This should be the bread and butter for any Manchester United managers. Ole must be having multiple headaches because of all these issues. But I'm sure his heart is also trembling with excitement too. The same for our supporters: We are all concerned but also quietly trembling with excitement when we see our team fighting like this.

So bring it on! We are called "The team that wouldn't die" for a reason. If there are any teams that could come into these situations and still bring back good results against all odds, it's us. :keano:

midnightmare

So we should ditch a competition (CL) in the hopes of finishing well enough in the EPL to qualify for the same competition next season. Top work.

Treble

We should go for everything. I think De gea should be able to play all games (maybe not the best idea with his form). Smalling and Lindelöf doesn't need rotation.
Playing Shaw in all games can be a bit of a problem though, but he is young and can do it. Maybe rest him in an easy league game and play Young left and Dalot on the right.
I think Young might need a rest and I think Dalot can do the job in the league.

Matic and mctominay can rotate a bit. Herrera and Fred can rotate or both pay away in the champions league as an example. Pogba I think can play all games. We need him and I do think he can cope. Lukaku, Lingard, martial and Rashford can rotate too once they are back.
Any outfield player has to be rotated. It's not only about physical but also mental freshness. Pogba is a great athlete but can't play 3 high intesity games within a week, no chance. His form has dipped a bit since Chelsea away,mostly because he played a bit too much in the last months. Arguably, same with Rashford. Rotation is key and Fergie was great at it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Could be what ends up costing us. Could also end in us having an amazing season. It's the demands at United. You go for everything and then see where you end up short and you strengthen in that department.

GBBQ

Could be what ends up costing us. Could also end in us having an amazing season. It's the demands at United. You go for everything and then see where you end up short and you strengthen in that department.
That's a good point, not just in terms of squad depth but in terms of leadership and mental strength of the team. I'd say Ole knows a lot about his players after the PSG match and probably a couple of things after the Arsenal match too.

It will be disappointing if we miss top 4 and crash out of cups in the quarter finals but as it stands we're in the mix for 2 cups and a decent league position from what seemed like a write off season in December.

TRUERED89

It doesn't matter, as someone posted earlier, we're in it to win it! Imagine SAF had that mentality in 1999 or 2008. Or any other double winning seasons for that matter. We've had 10 first XI players out and they're all slowly returning. We're in much better shape now to fight on all 3 fronts (top 4, FA Cup, CL).

Particularly pleased with Perreira and McTominay who have proved they can come in a do a job for the team. Plus if we get into the Semi final of CL and/or FA Cup our confidence will keep growing and that can only be a positive thing, providing we don't have another crazy injury crisis.

Last edited:

Phil Osophy

I have the feeling that Solskjaer is reducing his tactical ambitions a bit (I mean the high tempo, hard pressing, attacking etc. we saw during his first games) to make it sustainable, and adding some rotation here and there will be helpful too.

Surely people like Fred, McTominay and Pereira have now more confidence and better competition rhythm to be useful at least in the typical home game against cannon fodder. There's also Dalot knocking at the door, players coming back from injuries, so we have the chance to remain competitive in every game with some smart management, something I fully trust Solskjaer and the current staff to be able to do. If we win or not is yet to see, but we have to try it at least.