Are we finally back to where Fergie left us?

iKeano

Back to where Fergie left us!? Fergie left us Champions by 11 points.
City are top by 11 points... they're where Fergie left us. We're where Fergie left them... 11 points behind.

Comparing apples with oranges.

Red_Beans

I think we have the potential to be better than the 2013 Team. But I also think the opposition also improved a lot since then.
Neatly put. I agree. The only thing the 2013 team had over our current lot is a clinical world class forward and the greatest manager of all time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
My answer would be no because although both teams can be considered pragmatic, one was with a very certain and methodical ploy, the other feels rather desperate and incohesive a lot of the time.

What we did in Fergie's last season was dour and obvious, but it was also very difficult to stop because we had the ability to blunt sharper attacks, wear teams down and RVP on fire to the point where both teams new that if he scored, the game was heavily in our favour.

You can say that kind of football was hard on the eye, but at the same time it was intended and systematic.

Our attacks back then were quite unspectacular most of the time, but they were robust - from game to game at the moment it's hard to tell what we'll see out there or if we will even manage to string passes together. Sometimes we do... and sometimes we don't - it's all very random at the moment.

There's also a difference in belief and confidence between the two sides. Our heads never dropped in that season whereas at times this term, I've felt we've let our heads dropped and felt rather sorry for ourselves rather than pulling our sleeves up and getting back into games.

That team would not have won this year's league, though, I don't think, so if that is the measure, then I guess we are in a similar position, if it isn't, then there's some way to go for us to be as sure of ourselves at that team was.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Fergie left us winning the title. We are a million miles from doing that this season so, no.

Bobski

Even if were not there yet, we are as close as we can be. In any normal season we would have been 1st or close 2nd.
We have a strong mentality even when we dont play good(apart the City game). Our players are fighting for the club and to win.

Fergie's last year wasnt a brillaint footballing season. It was fine, but more close to where we are today than to the great Fergie teams of the past. Today we have more talent, unfortunetly the league has gotten a lot more competitive. It's not a 2-3 horse race anymore(well this year it a 1 horse race), but whenever a season starts you can never guess who will be champions.

I think this is a fallacy. People talk as if any of the top 6 could win the league, this great strength in depth but it is not really true. Arsenal are a long way off contending, Spurs for all their hype and respect they get are not a threat to win the league while Liverpool are amateurish at the back. Chelsea and Utd will finish 2nd/3rd but neither team are close to the finished article. Chelsea are undergoing a mini transitional phase, moving on from their Luiz/Matic/Costa spine, have a number of players they need to improve on, Moses, Cahill, Alonso, Fabregas entering his Rooney years. It looks to me as if that threesome with their vast resources are pulling away from the rest again.

deafepl

I think United are doing a lot of better than expected with 2 position - RW/AM not on form most of the time, it is underperforming and Pogba's absence. However, if we assume United is on full form and Pogba stays free injury/no suspension, United could've gotten points from Man City and Huddersfield games that'll give them 6 points +38 = 44 points in 17 games.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We're not nearly back to where Fergie left us because we don't play with the positive SAF ethos. We are still fairly negative and defensively oriented, which sort of suggests we may never return to the old ways but instead, if we do manage to win a league or CL, it will be in classic Mourinho style.
In the later years of his career Fergie was pretty pragmatic too. you only have to look at his use of players like Park and O’Shea, who were deployed to negate the threat of the opposition and not to strength our own. In games against Arsenal he set up with a similarly pragmatic approach. We would play very narrow and deep, to force Arsenal to play wide, forcing them to cross.

Bobski

In the later years of his career Fergie was pretty pragmatic too. you only have to look at his use of players like Park and O’Shea, who were deployed to negate the threat of the opposition and not to strength our own. In games against Arsenal he set up with a similarly pragmatic approach. We would play very narrow and deep, to force Arsenal to play wide, forcing them to cross.
But he committed numbers forward and was nowhere near as risk-averse as Mou is in big games. I can remember an FA cup tie against Arsenal with Rafael and Fabio on the wings, Gibson and O'Shea in midfield and he still went out and attacked them, won 2-0.

ivaldo

But he committed numbers forward and was nowhere near as risk-averse as Mou is in big games. I can remember an FA cup tie against Arsenal with Rafael and Fabio on the wings, Gibson and O'Shea in midfield and he still went out and attacked them, won 2-0.
He also went on a run of 6 results where we didn’t score more than 1 goal, despite having Tevez, Rooney, Nani, Berbatov and Ronaldo at our disposal. In 12 games we managed to score more than 1 goals only twice. Imagine if the same thing happened here under Jose? I wouldn’t argue that Jose isn’t more pragmatic than Fergie was, but Fergie wasn’t the attack devoted manager he was made out to be.

Let’s not forget we have been without our most creative and important player in almost all of the games we’ve played against top opposition. I think if we had more creativity in our side, particularly someone who can replace Pogba when he’s unavailable, he would’ve gone into those matches a lot more positive. I’m sure he’ll look to rectify that weakness in our squad over the coming seasons.

edgar allan

[QUOTE="

Goals scored before 30 mins, at home (league only) and final position.

07/08 (SAF) Goals: 12 Finished: 1st

8/09 (SAF) Goals: 14 Finished: 1st

09/10 (SAF) Goals: 6 Finished: 2nd

10/11 (SAF) Goals: 12 Finished: 1st

11/12 (SAF) Goals: 9 Finished: 2nd

12/13 (SAF) Goals: 14 Finished: 1st

13/14 (Moyes) Goals: 6 Finished: 7th

14/15 (LVG) Goals: 14 Finished: 4th

15/16 (LVG) Goals: 5 Finished: 5th

16/17 (Mourinho) Goals: 6 Finished: 6th

17/18 (So far, Mourinho) Goals: 3 Finished: ?[/QUOTE]

That is a very interesting stat. I guess our figures for goals in the second half and in the last 15 mins especially must be the opposite?

norm87cro

Fergie became more pragmatic in his later years. And I think it was europiean success that motivated him to change his style. The 2008 generation was built around prehaps the greatest defence we ever had and a reliable goalkeeper. The 90s generation and even the one between 2000-2003 played offensive football. It got us knocked out by Bayer feckin Leverkusen in 2002. Jose, on the other hand was always pragmatic (not saying that's a bad thing). And even City grinded out their wins against us, West Ham and Huddersfield. It's not always pretty lads

Bobski

He also went on a run of 6 results where we didn’t score more than 1 goal, despite having Tevez, Rooney, Nani, Berbatov and Ronaldo at our disposal. In 12 games we managed to score more than 1 goals only twice. Imagine if the same thing happened here under Jose? I wouldn’t argue that Jose isn’t more pragmatic than Fergie was, but Fergie wasn’t the attack devoted manager he was made out to be.

Let’s not forget we have been without our most creative and important player in almost all of the games we’ve played against top opposition. I think if we had more creativity in our side, particularly someone who can replace Pogba when he’s unavailable, he would’ve gone into those matches a lot more positive. I’m sure he’ll look to rectify that weakness in our squad over the coming seasons.
That run was after the 6-1 loss to City wasn't it?

Fergie may not have been Kevin Keegan level reckless when it came to the balance of the team but nowhere close to the caution of Mourinho.

Djemba-Djemba

Fergie may not have been Kevin Keegan level reckless when it came to the balance of the team but nowhere close to the caution of Mourinho.
No.

That was in 2011/12. Ronaldo and Tevez were long gone by then.

08/09 was a masterclass of grinding out success. Jose would have been proud.

ivaldo

No it was the 2008/2009 season. But the 6-1 lose to City conincided with a run of 7 games where we failed to score more than 1 goal. I might be wrong as my memory is somewhat hazy with these things but I can’t remember a run like this under Jose, can you? Fergie knew when to shut up shop just like Jose, except he usually had the luxury of the best side in the league (of his own building of course) to do it. Again Fergie wasn’t as pragmatic, but the levels in pragmatism weren’t nearly as different in the two managers as is being made out.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Last season under SAF was pretty dire already but rivals were even weaker imo. Some players like Young are playing better than they were back then and don't think that team would do better than current one is doing so far.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
simply on the players we have i think we have the best squad since 2009, so in those terms i would say we are ahead of where fergie left us

IAmAWinner

I feel our team is actually better than it was in 2013. Apart from RVP, Rafael and centre backs perhaps. The biggest difference for me is the mental strength.

Fergie 12/13 our mental strength was incredible. When we went 1 or 2 goals down I always felt we could win the game and we usually did. Fergie was just an absolute motivational genius.

Under Mourinho, I don't have that feeling yet. I never felt we could beat Huddersfield, City or Chelsea when we went behind. Actually, We haven't made a lot of comebacks since Fergie left, have we? I think it's something to do with the fact we don't have a lot of leaders. Valencia is our captain, but he can't even speak English. 2013 we had Rio, Vida, Evra, Carrick, even RVP and Rooney. Now I guess maybe Matic, maybe Jones and DDG, Pogba is on his way to becoming a captain definitely. But atm there is no Keane, there is no Vidic in this team.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn't say so yet. Need to see how we do over the next couple of seasons but two trophies last season and our current position is pretty damn good. Would want us to do better against the top teams (in latter Fergie years and the two Van Gaal years we tended to get around 18 points from 30) but we're getting there (7 points in first half of season compared to 5 last season - will probably end on 12-14 compared to 10 last season) and remains to be seen how we do in the CL but our record in Fergie's last two seasons there was pretty poor (knocked out in group stages in 2011/12 and knocked out in last 16 in 2012/13 though we did face Cakir).
This is very pessimistic Damien. We have Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal at home, all matches that we should win. Against City it doesn't matter much if the match is home or away, and Spurs are arguably the weakest team from top 6. I think that we should aim at least 10 points from those matches.

Let's not forget that Pogba missed most of these matches during the first half of the season. He is far and away our best player, so him being for the remaining matches will be big.

minoo-utd

Good thread. I think if Jose succeeded to finish this season as runners up to that exceptional City side and progress to the last 8 of the C.L then it's very similar to these SAF yeas IMO and it will be the first time to finish in top three after SAF. That's why the board should do whatever it takes to make Jose happy and stay, the man is really doing great and building such a massive fortress IMO with adding 2-3 Jose signings and some results with a bit of luck go our way then yes we are officially back.

Trophy Room

I think in terms of quality of squad we are better. Our play in big games was rubbish in the last couple of years Fergie was here and in that context don't think much has changed. The mentality has improved but has a long way to go to become Fergiesque though - this was what made United great.

Baby Groot

I'm inclined to say that Fergie lead team would have beaten that City team on last sunday. We could have ended that run, but no Mourinho choose to play coward, and they then got some jammy goals.

El Jefe

No not yet but we're close. RVP and SAF effect aside our 12/13 team really wasn't all that as seen by our 11/12 team. Our current team is definitely better than the 11/12 one IMO.

By next season we should be better.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Statistically yeah we are pretty similar. And tbh, style wise, we aren’t that different either. Back then I always remembered being frustrated that we never actually “created” a goal by breaking down teams through the middle. It was always some magic from someone or from the wings. Those frustrations are still present.

But intangibly, just from a pure feeling perspective on game days or aura wise, don’t think we are quite there. Perhaps may never be, thoufh.

stevoc

Not yet but we are close i think. This is the first season since SAF retired where i now expect us to win before almost every game.