Are we going all in on the transfer market?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we sell pogba I’d definitely be going all out for jack grealish, we should of gone for him last summer when realising Sancho wasn’t coming, he’d of been cheaper and more effective I think. Sign grealish in the summer and integrate diallo into the first team and rotate with Greenwood.

flappyjay

I see covid doesn't exist for some people or it's impact is underestimated. I would be surprised if we spent more than a 100m especially without selling. Even if we do sell no one is paying premium prices. We would be very lucky to get 50m for Pogba with a year left.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Prices will inevitably go down because teams that weren’t in great financial position even before covid will be under pressure to sell players now. For instance Dortmund who is already lacking profits from gateway revenue will now also likely miss out on CL revenue which means they will be forced to sell their valuable assets to not go heavily into debt. That coupled with Real Madrid’s and Barcelona’s financial crisis should put us in a strong position ahead of transfer window though City will be a preferred destination for most of the top available talent.

We will probably spend similar to usual or even less but that may buy us more on this market this year.

RkkMan

A back up RB and CB are probably the only positions we can invest in without needing to sell. A DM will be dependent on Pogba leaving and Sancho`s price will have to drop to around 60-70m for us to go for him in my opinion. Sales of players like Dalot, one of Bailly/Axel and maybe Lingard if he does well at West Ham could push our spending up a little but it wont be a really extravagant summer
Its however a myth we didnt have money last summer after buying VDB for 40m we offered 80m plus 15 add ons for Sancho if it was accepted our net spend would have well exceeded 100m money is there to spend but it will be spent carefully

Infra-red

We've suffered heavy losses and won't be minded to spend big. Other clubs have also been hit hard, so we won't recoup much in sales, either. Pogba will be sold, but for a lot less than we'd usually get for him.

It will be a quiet summer right across Europe - player swaps and free transfers will be the name of the game.

Hanky panky

All in will be in max. 100M net spend. Even only 50M. Can't imagine more than that in situation like this. Don´t get dissapointed if we will get only 1-2 new players. I would prefer couple of quality signing and few sales.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Sancho and a CB (Varane, Konate, Kounde or Torres) for around 110m can be funded by outgoings to leave a 50m net. Then use the Pogba money to get a central midfielder. The wild card is Haaland. If he is available then we’d have to go for him you’d imagine.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Some rumours saying Ole would be heavily supported in the next transfer window, especially if we stay top-4 at the end of the season.

I remember Woodward also said United is in a financial position to take advantage of the Covid situations, and the next transfer window is probably the last one to benefit from the situation; buy players with great discount.

For some reason I’ve started to have high expectations before a transfer window. I really want us to buy a striker or a RW, a central midfielder and a CB.

In today’s market I think it’s possible to get 3 world class players Striker/RW, a CM/CDM and a CB for between 200-250m.

Do you think 200-250m is possible if we are able to sell Pogba for 60m and also sell some of the players we have on loan, example Pereira, Lingard for 30-40m?
You're mad

spiriticon

I love how many people still think we can get tens of millions on outgoing sales.

Nobody wants to pay money for our shite.

Rustyspider13

The only clubs capable of going 'all in' in COVID windows are City, Chelsea and maybe PSG. So, no I don't expect Untied to go on a spending spree this summer. One big player is all I expect. The rest will depend on sales and asking prices.

I hope that our transfer committee has learned from navigating one summer window in the current climate. We all want those world class players for the gaps in our squad but sometimes (like in the case of a CB) just having an able body who can perform on a decent level is needed. Some value signings need to be on the cards in case we don't get our top targets.

wolvored

I can't see us going for Sancho. Think that ship has sailed with Amad here. think the board will want 60 mill for Pogba but no one will buy and at the end we sell for probably 30 mill and a player chucked in we don't need. Trippier maybe, as they won't want him to leave for nothing the summer after. We might make a similar offer for Haaland around 60 mill and he will be our fruitless summer chase. We will probably get a CD and DM and another couple of deadwood moved on. Mata Periera and Lingard. I would guess. Unfortunately no one will offer a fee for Jones and he will be stuck here. That's my crystal ball look anyroad.

RkkMan

I love how many people still think we can get tens of millions on outgoing sales.

Nobody wants to pay money for our shite.
Someone paid money for Smalling TBF, and someone is paying Lingard`s full wages. I`m sure we can find buyers for one of Axel/Bailly who are on low wages and wouldn`t cost a high fee due to contract length, Dalot due to his age and if Lingard does well like Smalling at Roma West Ham may want him permanently since he`s already on their wage bill. Pogba is an enigma as Barca/Madrid dont want, need or can really afford him and Juve have to let go of someone talk of Dybala being on the transfer list if they get a good fee for him and his wages off the bill maybe then they`ll come for Pogba

RkkMan

I can't see us going for Sancho. Think that ship has sailed with Amad here. think the board will want 60 mill for Pogba but no one will buy and at the end we sell for probably 30 mill and a player chucked in we don't need. Trippier maybe, as they won't want him to leave for nothing the summer after. We might make a similar offer for Haaland around 60 mill and he will be our fruitless summer chase. We will probably get a CD and DM and another couple of deadwood moved on. Mata Periera and Lingard. I would guess. Unfortunately no one will offer a fee for Jones and he will be stuck here. That's my crystal ball look anyroad.
Amad(besides being our ONLY RW as Greenwood is a ST) has played zero minutes of top flight football for us unless he has SPECTACULAR performances form now till the season`s end it`ll be a shock if Utd decided he`s the answer to our RW problems plus noise coming from Utd`s correspondents is Sancho is still of interest despite having Amad

RC89

No.

When was the last time it could be described as us going "all in" ? Chelsea went all in last summer
Agree, we never do this. The only time we've been close to this is when we signed Anderson, Nani, Tevez, Hargreaves. Considering the rep of each player at the time, quite a Muppet worthy window. Still doesn't compare to Chelsea's last summer (on paper)

Crustanoid

Hahahahaha

A) Our owners are the Glazers

B) Our CEO is the worst transfer negotiator of all time

C) How in the hell do people constantly fall for this crap? It’s beyond crazy

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
130m = Sancho, Rice and (bomb) Ajer.That’s a lot of quality for 130m.

Someone maybe surprised I mention Ajer, even myself :lol: Ajer is 22y and Celtic rate him highly, and many supporters suggest him as captain and want the club to offer him “the best deal” to make him stay. He has been their best player in what they call “a bad season”. Some people compare him with VVD, who left Celtic when he was 24y. Ajer doesn’t have the same speed as VVD, and that’s maybe a disadvantage, but for 20m it’s worth the risk.
130m won't be enough for both Sancho and Rice, never mind adding Ajer in the mix.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We'll spend less than usual, but players will be cheaper so it'll even itself out. 2 or 3 coming i would predict

Drainy

In the summer we will only have to spend what we get from sales plus maybe £30-50m.

The rest of the squad needs will be expected to be covered through promotions internally.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We don’t go “all in” in transfer windows. We have a (decently sized) budget that the manager tends to work with. It typically ends up resulting in about 3 major first team signings, and maybe a younger player for the future.

Kag

The club simply has to buy a reliable option (a fit version of Bailly, basically) to partner Maguire and a right winger (Sancho fits the bill). Failing to do that is negligent.

Whatever we do (or don’t do) with Pogba determines the midfield situation.

I’d love a more attacking alternative to support Wan-Bissaka but it’s less urgent those positions mentioned already.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some rumours saying Ole would be heavily supported in the next transfer window, especially if we stay top-4 at the end of the season.

I remember Woodward also said United is in a financial position to take advantage of the Covid situations, and the next transfer window is probably the last one to benefit from the situation; buy players with great discount.

For some reason I’ve started to have high expectations before a transfer window. I really want us to buy a striker or a RW, a central midfielder and a CB.

In today’s market I think it’s possible to get 3 world class players Striker/RW, a CM/CDM and a CB for between 200-250m.

Do you think 200-250m is possible if we are able to sell Pogba for 60m and also sell some of the players we have on loan, example Pereira, Lingard for 30-40m?
Don’t get your hopes up, we normally spend around the €75m range. That’s before covid which has us losing €150m (figure I read somewhere). We are not going to go crazy so need to lower our expectations I think. We will be looking for smart buys, release clauses, out of contract, loans etc with perhaps one cherry on top buy

Jezpeza

Two sides to this - firstly, Ole has really cleared the decks. Once loan players return etc we will need to shift dalot, lingard, pereira and Jones and we are all out of firewood. Mata grant and romero and maybe even cavani are out of contract. The wages situation must be the best it has been for a long time.

Dont want to get drawn into fantasy 11’s, but on the sporting side, if we bring in top drawer players at rw, cb, cdm, cf we are right up there because our starting 11 will be absolute fire. Yeah covid etc etc but are we saying the club cant borrow a bit of cash against its 4bn value?

problem is history shows us that every time we get top 4 and are on the cusp the glazers stop spending rather than push the final few yards. Last time i averaged out their spending they had spent £58m net every year so i guess thats the budget we should expect. They only make the megabucks available to a new manager.

we needed a rw, cb, cdm and long term cf last summer and this january and didnt do any, so not sure what will happen this year but doubt there is a ‘warchest’. Thats just the media laying the ground for a summer of clickbait.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mad? I only ask what is realistic expectations when United are reportedly open to spending significantly in two problem areas in the summer transfer window.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/man-united-transfer-news-defender-19791038
Wouldn't be the first summer where we reportedly open to spending "big money" only for our idea of "big money" to fall short of what was actually required to land the players.

We've seen so many stories about our likely extravagant summer spend turn out to be false over the years (going back to David Gill's famous warchest, for example) that I don't know why you'd suddenly believe these ones.

Mylock

To move to the next level, we need to be far better defensively, improving the defence should be the 1st priority. The best options I see are Pau Torres, Kounte, white and Konate. Torres looks idea technically and is left-footed, some people question his speed, but he's a great reader of the game. Konate looks to have potential, and I would rate better than Upanceano, his primary issue is his injury record. White looks idea as well but not sure is more suited to a back 5, could end up as a DM. Kounte is on top form, looks like he could the next great CH, has the lot, not very tall but looks to be great in the air. It will be interesting to see who we buy.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

This is the exact same chat as in the summer. And we ended up signing a 40m bit part player and a couple of promising kids.
We won't have the money to go really all in by the proper definition of the term. We've just come off a season where we've lost £2m a game from having no crowds.
Other teams won't suddenly do us favours with fees.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mad? I only ask what is realistic expectations when United are reportedly open to spending significantly in two problem areas in the summer transfer window.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/man-united-transfer-news-defender-19791038
Well I think that any transfer of significant cash value has to be considered against the Macro economic situation that the world is facing and the famed FFP.
We have no idea how Covid has damaged cash flows and projections for clubs. The club will really need to understand what spending 250 million means 5 or 6 years down the line, and there is really no solid baseline to project from where Corona is concerned. Unless by June the virus is well and truly beaten ( it wont be) then I think its mad to think the club will spend over 200 million in the window. We have never done it yet even in the good times. Selling to buy maybe an option but really outside of Pogba we dont have players that will get a big fee, and who knows what a post corona big fee will be? Certainly not what was happening pre Covid.
Then FFP needs to be considered too.

One big signing - maybe.

Coops73

Are we going all out in the summer transfer market?...in short are we feck. Like somebody else pointed out, surely we’ll be worse off this summer

wolvored

Amad(besides being our ONLY RW as Greenwood is a ST) has played zero minutes of top flight football for us unless he has SPECTACULAR performances form now till the season`s end it`ll be a shock if Utd decided he`s the answer to our RW problems plus noise coming from Utd`s correspondents is Sancho is still of interest despite having Amad
According to reports last month if true Dortmund still want 88 mill for Sancho and unless they knock another 30 mill off I can't see Utd going for this in the current climate. They may go for another cheaper RW, but not for mega money

RkkMan

According to reports last month if true Dortmund still want 88 mill for Sancho and unless they knock another 30 mill off I can't see Utd going for this in the current climate. They may go for another cheaper RW, but not for mega money
There`s a lot of time between now and the start of the window the fee could always(and likely will) go lower and BVB face a real prospect of no CL football and currently without a manager. I think his final fee will be around 70m which may be incentivized with add ons which is doable for Utd pandemic or not

vanrooney

i iknow its in to be critical of edwards but i think he did quite well the last windows. especially not buying sancho for crazy money was clever. with greenwood developing on the right and amads potential i am not so sure if we even need him. haaland should be the main priority as a long term solution for up front with cavani as a stop gap. other than that i am quite happy with our squad. i would even suggest that we need no cb with baily mengi and tuanzebe all having the potential to form the solid partnership with maguire that we want to see. a replacement for matic and if he goes for pogba would be my next priorities. maybe grealish for pogba. with the future unclear i cant see much more than 1 big signing

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
And so has everyone else. Except we have the revenue streams to deal with it.
We also have higher costs than most clubs too. We're not immune from the economic impact of Covid. The only way we can take advantage of the situation is if selling clubs are in a really difficult financial situation. Dortmund showed last summer that they were still willing to hold out, so who knows what will happen.

SER19

The trick is to realise that 3 big signings won't mean anything unless they fit. The best managers always bought what they trusted they needed, Carrick being the most dramatic example at a time we hadn't won't a title in years and Chelsea I think had spent big again.

If we were really really on top of things, which we might be, and the manager and his team really trusted themselves, there are surely solutions out there. Klopp had done a good job of this at Liverpool too, albeit he needed the 2 big signings to really kick on

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Another thing to consider is how difficult it will be to offload players. We've struggled with this at the best of times due to the high wages players are earning, but we're simultaneously hoping for other clubs to be in enough financial difficulty to need to sell their best players, but wealthy enough to splash the cash on our deadwood.

Wouldn't be surprised to see most clubs - ours included - opting not to spend big. Loans will once again play a big part in the summer transfer window.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We also have higher costs than most clubs too. We're not immune from the economic impact of Covid. The only way we can take advantage of the situation is if selling clubs are in a really difficult financial situation. Dortmund showed last summer that they were still willing to hold out, so who knows what will happen.
Of course we aren't immune, but when you consider the % of income we get from match day sales vs other clubs, as well as what we pay on wages vs income compared to other clubs, we are in far better position than the vast majority of clubs. Dortmund have been absolutely crippled by Covid. Their ability to hold out in the summer has no relevance on their financial situation now.

Polar

One offensive and one defensive (big shots) incoming (120m) is realistic. I would also add a couple of young talents: Ajer (15m) and a AWB backup.

Pogba, Pereira, Lingard out (60-70m) is realistic.
It’s also probably now or never to sell Matic, and Mata is probably into his last season.

Five midfielders on their way out :eek: One of two big signings have to be a CM. The big question is if the other big signing should be a CD or a Striker/RW? I’m not sure.