Are we going all in on the transfer market?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Of course we aren't immune, but when you consider the % of income we get from match day sales vs other clubs, as well as what we pay on wages vs income compared to other clubs, we are in far better position than the vast majority of clubs. Dortmund have been absolutely crippled by Covid. Their ability to hold out in the summer has no relevance on their financial situation now.
And one of the big income streams for us is sponsorship. We've already had to extend the Chevrolet deal by six months to allow them to make the remaining payments. How many industries will not be suffering from the Covid impact? It's an uncertain time to be banking on a mega sponsorship deal. The Premier League TV deal ends next season. They were already down last time round, so who knows what the landscape will look like next time round.

We will also struggle to get decent money for the players we need to offload.

Might not be the best time to be shelling out massive transfer fees and massive wages.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
i iknow its in to be critical of edwards but i think he did quite well the last windows. especially not buying sancho for crazy money was clever. with greenwood developing on the right and amads potential i am not so sure if we even need him. haaland should be the main priority as a long term solution for up front with cavani as a stop gap. other than that i am quite happy with our squad. i would even suggest that we need no cb with baily mengi and tuanzebe all having the potential to form the solid partnership with maguire that we want to see. a replacement for matic and if he goes for pogba would be my next priorities. maybe grealish for pogba. with the future unclear i cant see much more than 1 big signing
Welcome to 2021

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I see it happening because last summer was for me a non supportive transfer window where Woodward wanted to see how good Ole was as a manager without the fancy transfers.

He has proved enough to be one of the top managers in the league this season and if he keeps it up then he will be supported l.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Manchester United's finances have been hit even harder than expected by the side-effects of the pandemic. The Old Trafford outfit announced a £71m (€80m) hit on returns on top of what the club expected, according to their year-ending financial figures, released at the end of October last year. Before the pandemic, United had estimated their revenue to be between £560m to £580m, down on the previous year's record of £627.1m (€706m). But the figure ended up being £509m, down £118m (€113m) in total, almost double what the club had anticipated.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40211138.html?type=amp

Yeah we won’t be splashing unless it’s buy now pay later deals, loans or out of contract

we will be lucky to get one ‘big’ signing

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
And one of the big income streams for us is sponsorship. We've already had to extend the Chevrolet deal by six months to allow them to make the remaining payments. How many industries will not be suffering from the Covid impact? It's an uncertain time to be banking on a mega sponsorship deal. The Premier League TV deal ends next season. They were already down last time round, so who knows what the landscape will look like next time round.

We will also struggle to get decent money for the players we need to offload.

Might not be the best time to be shelling out massive transfer fees and massive wages.
There's plenty of industries not being hit by the pandemic. There are plenty that have seen incredible growth during the last 12 months, too. I'm not saying we're going to be throwing money around without a care in the world, far from it, but if there is a bargain to be had we will be in a better position than most in order to take advantage. Whatever hurts us is going to hurt our rivals twice as hard.

CM10

We'll probably continue with our model of addressing two or three positions in the team. Solskjaer has largely done well in identifying where we need to upgrade but it could be a bit messier this summer if/when Pogba leaves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't know if we need to go "all in", it's not like we need an entirely new starting 11. Just a few defensive additions, a CB and DM primarily, a back up RB, and a RW depending on the progress of Greenwood/Amad. Pogba leaving would change things because the chances of us getting a quality CM in this market is very slim, we'd have to spend heavily to replace him.

Smores

We average one big signing a season and i don't see that being any different this summer irrespective of whether Pogba leaves or not.

You get some improvement from signings and some from coaching. Our squad has a lot of potential to improve through coaching so we won't spend silly money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If the right player is available we should spend the money. If not we should try to get ourselves a really good DM and see what's going on with CBs, RBs and RW. For me the right player is of the level of Haaland, Grealish, Mbappé, Kimmich on the whole unless the scouts have a young, pacy CB they really like.

There may be a more experienced CB available that could improve us conceivably e.g. Tarkowski or Vestergaard but we should be looking for that profile of player only at the right price to my mind. I do feel like there's a CM out there somewhere who would improve our balance in midfield though, particularly if we do lose Pogba.

RedDevilzFox

People keep insisting we are in a "far better" position to spend big. Man Utd debt is at 500M GBP with revenues taking a big hit and no end in sight for COVID this year and likely next year. Do you people think economy just goes back to where it was pre-covid as soon as the largely majority is vaccinated? I have news for you if so... UK is under its greatest recession in 300 years. I am beginning to doubt anybody pays 50-60M for Pogba, he most likely walks free next year.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kag

Probably not. I expect another summer of dicking around and failing to bring in the players we clearly need. We might luck out on a player or two (e.g. Cavani) but it may not be part of the plan.

Roboc7

There’s not going to be much to spend, unless clubs in Europe are desperate and prices collapse not much will be addressed in the summer.

Season ticket sales and match day revenue won’t go back to normal next season and can no longer be relied upon.

Clickbait every season always over promises every season but this summer it’s even less believable than normal.

dinostar77

There’s not going to be much to spend, unless clubs in Europe are desperate and prices collapse not much will be addressed in the summer.

Season ticket sales and match day revenue won’t go back to normal next season and can no longer be relied upon.

Clickbait every season always over promises every season but this summer it’s even less believable than normal.
Yep, there isnt much finance available in football at the moment. Look at what a non event the january window was. Too unpredictable to say what the spending might be like, if any.

dinostar77

I think the entire summer window is dependent on what City and PSG do. They are state sponsored clubs and although they have to comply with the relaxed ffp rules they still have money on tap.

If Mbappe signs a new deal with PSG then there is no way under FFP that they can afford Messi (free transfer but collosal financial package). If they did sign Messi then they'd have to let Mbappe get his way and move to Madrid. Perez would find the money to make it happen. I cant see Barcelona been keen on that scenario as they are weakened on the pitch ala losing Messi and their biggest rivals are strengthened i.e. buy getting Mbappe. Better Messi go to City.

If Messi goes to City then Aguero will stay for sure and sign a extension. A chance to play with his countryman and have a very good chance of winning a CL or two? No brainer. Do City still for Haagland then? Who knows. If they did then Dortmund might decide selling one star is enough and keep the rest of their stars.

The entire summer window depends on the big clubs doing busy so it cascades down the chain. Barcelona finances are a mess and they will probably do nothing much in the window. Madrid only have eyes for Mbappe. No idea about athletico finances. Bayern are signing Upamencano and do they have any other needs? Liverpool finances are tight, Chelsea arent going to spend another £200mil in the summer window as ffp will kick for summer signings from 2020. We really dont know what Utd will do. The pessimist in me thinks we will sign a backup RB ala Max Aarons or Trippier. Also a CB partner for Maguire and thats it. Especially if Haaland goes to City (as well all know how much ole rates him), plus we can get another year out of Cavani.

Thats why i think City and PSG hold all the cards in the market this summer.

croadyman

I don't know if we need to go "all in", it's not like we need an entirely new starting 11. Just a few defensive additions, a CB and DM primarily, a back up RB, and a RW depending on the progress of Greenwood/Amad. Pogba leaving would change things because the chances of us getting a quality CM in this market is very slim, we'd have to spend heavily to replace him.
Yeah totally agree and can only see us spending around £60-70m net as the financial situation is going to be even worse than it was in the last summer transfer window

Skills

Snitch
If its going to be a repeat of summer 2019, I bloody hope not. Something closer to summer 2020 is much better than the self destruction we did 2 years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wonder when people will realise it is not all about players.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Feel like this summer is a massive one if we want to build on any remnants of momentum we have from this season. Get it wrong or half arse it and we’re back to square one.

croadyman

Well we won’t be spending much, as always.
Yeah not convinced we will even spend the same money as last summer with the financial losses due to COVID, would say we will only be able to generate funds from player sales but then who can afford Martial/Pogba in this situation

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
We certainly won't be going all in now will we, all these mega signings were probably based on the Glazers planned profits from the Super League weren't they.
It's going to be a weird summer. Wonder how the parasites will react now that their coup that they had probably been planning for years is off.
No transfers? 50m max? lets see.

RedDevil@84

We certainly won't be going all in now will we, all these mega signings were probably based on the Glazers planned profits from the Super League weren't they.
It's going to be a weird summer. Wonder how the parasites will react now that their coup that they had probably been planning for years is off.
Woodward is staying on till end of summer I guess

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Fellaini last hours of the transfer window is my guess.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Doubt transfer muppets will be happy. Salty Glazers will not be spending...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Yeah I just started thinking about this. We're not doing any transfer business.

The Glazer family will focus on an exit strategy and leave the club to run with status quo.

Traub

Happy with no transfers. In fact all the breakaways should be transfer banned seeing as they’re crying poverty.

Cman

Glass half full lads. Glazers will need to see the Utd brand improves its image and value before they sell. You have to spend money to make money.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Luckily we won't be left too much behind. A striker and a Right back we should still be fine for a top 4 place next year.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Luckily we won't be left too much behind. A striker and a Right back we should still be fine for a top 4 place next year.
This summer was a key window in our development. We got it right and we'd have been challenging next year.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It was already going to be minimal but they won't be investing in an asset they thought was going to be worth significantly more.