Are we going all in on the transfer market?

Rustyspider13

I'm ready to be disappointed with the window like I was with the last. But knowing it came at the expense of the SL will give me some solace.

theklr

Feel its either or this summer after all thats happened.

Either they want to spend big to appeal to the fans or they just dont care about anything anymore now that their golden rainbow is removed indefinitely.

Infra-red

Feel its either or this summer after all thats happened.

Either they want to spend big to appeal to the fans or they just dont care about anything anymore now that their golden rainbow is removed indefinitely.
Thanks to the pandemic, we don't have much money, so the 'spend big to appease the fans' option is gone (I would not have expected them to pick that option anyway).

It will be a very quiet summer with hardy any significant movement. Focus will be on the Euros.

theklr

Thanks to the pandemic, we don't have much money, so the 'spend big to appease the fans' option is gone (I would not have expected them to pick that option anyway).

It will be a very quiet summer with hardy any significant movement. Focus will be on the Euros.
There has been some reliable sources that were saying, before this, that they were planning to spend big with the money they didnt spend on Sancho last year, but yeah that is very possible.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Even before the ESL, I felt that favs expectations were wrong. Spending €200m, where is that coming from?
Now yeah I’d be shocked if they spend more than €50m, I wouldn’t be shocked if they don’t spend and pick up a few freebies instead

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Saw little reason to think we were suddenly going to go "all in" even before the ESL fiasco. Even less so now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It will be a pitiful budget this year. I’m convinced they’re looking to sell and will have checked out or are in a bit of a shit position financially thanks to COVID and will be holding back.

City and Chelsea are going to be the ones to take advantage of this summer. The rest will be left behind

El Zoido

The squad doesn’t need huge investment, but we need to bring the right profile of player in. Another “winner” of the Bruno mould would be good. Not that that there’s many of them around. I don’t have faith in the board whatsoever, but I do have faith in Ole in selecting the right players to integrate in to this squad. I don’t get all the doom and gloom, the days of Ed trying to build a Galactico side are over. And personally I do actually think the Glazers will find some cash down the back of the sofa to appease the fans after the absolute shambles of this week.

Coops73

It will be a pitiful budget this year. I’m convinced they’re looking to sell and will have checked out or are in a bit of a shit position financially thanks to COVID and will be holding back.

City and Chelsea are going to be the ones to take advantage of this summer. The rest will be left behind
Yep and I hope you’re right about selling, the good thing to come out of this ESL fiasco would be that they feel that was their last opportunity to milk the United teats dry and get the feck out but I am very sceptical.

mav_9me

Agreed. After this fiasco I think they will look for a way out. Hardly going to invest in that situation. Also with a vaccum at the leadership level with Woodward out, that won't be helpful.

I expect a repeat of last summer, a 40m signing and a couple of 20m signings... Or so.

GBBQ

really feels that losing out on ESL will be seen as a reason not to invest. COVID has impacted business, we had hoped to invest that 300 mil into the squad but now we can't and don't have any alternate funds. maybe the fans could have a whip around.

Kaos

If I were being hopelessly optimistic (or delusional) you could hope that the owners would be desperate to garner some good faith with the fans by going on a statement splurge, but realistically I wouldn't expect any significant activity this summer now that the Glazers are off the ESL gravy train. We'll try and convince Cavani to stay another year and bring in someone like Ben White from Brighton and call it a good summer, hoping its enough for Ole to make top 4 again for the Glazers to get their dividends for yet another year.

RUCK4444

If I were being hopelessly optimistic (or delusional) you could hope that the owners would be desperate to garner some good faith with the fans by going on a statement splurge, but realistically I wouldn't expect any significant activity this summer now that the Glazers are off the ESL gravy train. We'll try and convince Cavani to stay another year and bring in someone like Ben White from Brighton and call it a good summer, hoping its enough for Ole to make top 4 again for the Glazers to get their dividends for yet another year.
This is exactly what I'm hoping. Off the back of this disgraceful shambles there would hopefully be world war 3 if we compounded that by not investing in the squad.

Right now these owners (and the others) owe it to the fans to show they want the club to be successful on the pitch not just off it.

Honestly, quote me on this, if they don't invest properly in the squad this summer I will travel and protest myself with whoever else is doing it at the time. That will be the last straw for me, fecking put your hands in your pockets (well the clubs pockets) and allow us to challenge for the league you pasty faced gremlins!! :mad:

romufc

I mean they probably look at us this season, top 4 comfortably, get the money in so why would they want to spend?

Ben White would cost alot of money, I cannot see the Glazers sanctioning anything over £50m this summer.

I think they will use the summer to get back at the fans. By not signing big, they will try and say, "this is why we need the super league".

This is how the Gazers operate, they do not care about the fans one bit.

Xaviboy

I expect 2/3 players to come in by free transfers. Not expecting us to pay 40/50 million on players.

Tallis

I don’t think many clubs will spend big this summer. Chelsea and City can obviously spend as they like but don’t see Spurs, Arsenal or us spending much. Liverpool will probably do some focussed buying and get 2-3 players as they usually do without breaking the bank. I expect we will do some type of deal for a striker and maybe a bargain CB to replace Bailly on the bench. We may also get a backup RB - maybe Trippier. I expect we will spend similar to last summer but will recoup majority of that money from sales (Lingard, Dalot, Andreas, Bailly and possibly Pogba).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm going to say the opposite and say that Glazer will spend a better amount of money in a transfer window - or atleast meet one of our better past windows expenditures.

I'm not saying this because I love them or anything - but it's because

• They have had to say Sorry to us and will be scared of pissing us off even more.
  • Woodward will leave and needs to be replaced by a new woodward alongside our new DOF who need to get off a good start
  • Ole is the closest team to a title contender this year and has the backing of the players and most fans (as seen the opposite of when the players went against Glazer co). Ole is closer to being title winning manager if he is able to buy a few ideal top players in the the areas we need.
  • Ole is actually quite good at being a manager that is able to sell players or get them off our wage book rather than giving unnecessary conteact extensions. More players will leave to help a more built transfer money amount.
  • Hopefully, if we win the Europa League or even only become runners up - it is hopefully a time Glazers tell us to utelise that money more often than most times just for trying to keep a positive environment around the club again.

peridigm

I don't see us making any big signings this summer. I hope we sign a striker. If Ole can convince Cavani to stay, striker funds would be used elsewhere such as MF or CB. Maybe we go for Sancho again but this whole ESL thing is going to cost us.
Clubs are already thinking "we'll show you." The elephant in the room is whether the 6 clubs will be transfer banned. I don't think it will happen but it could be a justified punishment. Maybe for one window we can buy players but can't register them until January.
Player stays at current club on loan or something. Docking points would be more devastating I think. If we do get a transfer ban, we won't be able to let anyone leave, especially Pogba. Fecking ESL. What were these morons thinking?

RkkMan

My views have not changed much reckon we will spend but not heavily. I definitely think Haaland/Kane/Sancho won't happen as this ESL fiasco has cost us a marquee signing. A CB will still happen if Bailly leaves and assuming Varane doesn't sign a new deal I fancy we get him or Pau Torres, a back up RB maybe Lucas Vasquez for free, a back up GK once De Gea leaves and a ST no clue who maybe Andre Silva or a low tier signing like that American ST playing for Barnsley
If however The Glazers look to sell this summer we ain't spending anything and I mean zilch

Drifter

American
I'm sure the Glazers will try to win over the transfer Muppets, which is not that hard to be fair.

Lee565

We have to be realistic and expect a very modest transfer window as every club aside from the oil rich one's has suffered a great deal financially.

Even if we offload the likes of dalot, Pereira, lingard etc.. we won't likely get type of transfer fees that fans are hoping for because west ham, Lazio and ac milan are probably going to struggle to spend upwards of 40-50 million this summer.

Odin

I am sure players will love to come to a club where they get routineously lambasted by fans and get blocked when they show up for training.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Every year we have this thread, normally accompanied by ludicrous stuff about how we'll supposedly raise huge figures selling casts offs.

Then we'll roll onto the summer, keep Cavani another year, proclaiming it as incredible business, sign an unheard of youngster or two, and sell Lingard for 12m to West Ham, and possibly release Mata on a free transfer.

We're in a bit of difficulty if we sell Pogba, as he'll only fetch about 50m you'd expect, and with our negotiation crew and being who we are, we'll be lucky to get a starter for that money.

Foxbatt

I think we will buy someone that we really do not need. Just to say that we bought in someone.

Infra-red

We're in a bit of difficulty if we sell Pogba, as he'll only fetch about 50m you'd expect, and with our negotiation crew and being who we are, we'll be lucky to get a starter for that money.
Not ideal but 50m is better than 0m in 12 months' time. He's surely off as soon as the Euros are over.

Teja

Has this turned into a let's just complain about the club thread (like basically every other thread post ESL)? Or was there something specific that I've missed about us signing / not signing players?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not ideal but 50m is better than 0m in 12 months' time. He's surely off as soon as the Euros are over.
I think we'll see a contract extension to be honest.
He'll realise we're back on the up, and that Real Madrid or even Barcelona won't have the funds or the will to bring him in, and he may not want to go back to Italy.

Adamsk7

I honestly think we’ll sign Varane now. Madrid are super fcuked now florentino’s golden goose isn’t hatching and they have just got Alaba on a free. I think they’ll renew Ramos and go in to the season with him and Alaba as their partnership. It’s not like Militao or Nacho are rubbish either!

However I don’t think we’ll get much more. Varane and keep Pogba would be a good window considering all that’s going on right now. Perhaps we’ll get one other if we can move Lingard/Bailly/Dalot etc but no more than a £50m net spend

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd take 0 pounds spent if it means they sell the club before the end of the year.