Are we going to play 4-2-2-2 next season?

Classical Mechanic

According to Gaz Nev this is the system what Ole wants to play, same as Watford employ. It would fit with reported transfer targets and suit our squad

Matic----McT
Pog-----Bruno
Rashy---Tony

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Got a link for this? Obviously in practise the front two will drift into channels if it were to be implemented.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Would be a big departure from what Ole's done before and how we've started pre-season. We looked to be playing a fairly orthodox 4-2-3-1 last weekend. Let's see how he sets the team up today.

Classical Mechanic

Got a link for this? Obviously in practise the front two will drift into channels if it were to be implemented.
I was going off another post in here yesterday but looking it up it seems he said that it was a system he wanted to introduce when he was manager of United reserves

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...nnar-solskjaer-introduced-manchester-16109980

The discussion still stands I think as it looks like a system that would fit our transfer targets and squad. It would compensate for Pogba's work rate in midfield with Bruno alongside him and solve the Martial & Rashford position question.

Bestietom

I would like to see us play a 4-4-2. With Both Rashy and Marial up front. I think it would suit us better.

Champagne Football

I've seen in a few articles from semi-reliable journalists over the past few weeks that Ole wants to his attack to contain the trio of James, Rashford, Martial to try and blitz teams with pace, but they all could be just putting 2+2 together since we signed James.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
I'd think we'd be getting linked to more strikers and also setting up this way in pre-season were this the case*. I'm not sure the signings of James and a defensive-minded full-back would make a whole lot of sense with this system in mind either.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, I'd think.

*Granted, we've only played the one game.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'd think we'd be getting linked to more strikers and also setting up this way in pre-season were this the case*. I'm not sure the signings of James and a defensive-minded full-back would make a whole lot of sense with this system in mind either.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, I'd think.
Yep, this is about right. We'd be much busier in recruitment by now.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Based on the lineups so far, it'd appear to be 4-3-2-1. Would make sense as Bruno could play the no.10 role if we sign him.

Arka_BleedingRed

We will be going into the season with a 4-2-3-1 with nearly the same setup as today, except Bruno for Mata, Maguire for Bailly, Shaw for Rojo, DDG for Romero.

OohAahMartial

We will be going into the season with a 4-2-3-1 with nearly the same setup as today, except Bruno for Mata, Maguire for Bailly, Shaw for Rojo, DDG for Romero.
I wonder if he has switched back to 4-2-3-1 because the players were more used to that under Ole, or because Matic can't be a lone DM. Don't remember Ole using 4-2-3-1 that much last season.

settembrini

That formation wouldn't make any sense. Why would we buy a winger (James) and a full back who is far better as a defender than an attacker (Wan-Bissaka) if we were going to play with no wingers and rely on full backs for width? Our transfers would literally be the opposite of what we needed.

Based on our current squad/transfers/first pre-season game I would guess we will be playing 4-2-3-1 next season. It's too early to say for sure though.

Web of Bissaka

Looks more like 4-2-3-1 as the main formation. Not "confirm" yet though.

Turns out 2 man midfield isn't so bad after all if both of our midfielders are willing to put in the shift and have the quality to do it.
  1. McPog looks so fine.
  2. McFred is also not bad.
I cannot trust the other combinations.

Arka_BleedingRed

I wonder if he has switched back to 4-2-3-1 because the players were more used to that under Ole, or because Matic can't be a lone DM. Don't remember Ole using 4-2-3-1 that much last season.
Maybe, Matic's legs are gone, but also I don't think Ole will be strictly sticking to a single formation, we will probably be using a 4-3-3, 4-2-2-2 diamond alongwith the current one depending on the OPPO.

GloryHunter07

I would like to see us play a 4-4-2. With Both Rashy and Marial up front. I think it would suit us better.
I would be really interested to see those two as a proper strike partnership. Not very fashionable these days though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Might be in some games but if he wants to use it as his regular formation he wouldn’t be signing a winger like James or aiming for Sancho.

Seth.R

Going off what we've seen so far (4 x 45 min halves with 4 different XIs) - it looks like we're setting up to play 4-2-3-1. Especially if we're bringing in a number 10 (Bruno).

McTominay and Pogba should be a solid midfield base, I reckon.

TRUERED89

-----------------De Gea-------------------

AWB--------McGuire---Lindelöf--------Shaw

-------------McT---------Fred-----------------

----Bruno------------------------Pogba--------

-------------Rashford----Mason/Martial-----------

Doesn't look too bad, would Pogba be as influential in this inside LAM position? possibly..

NoPace

Going off what we've seen so far (4 x 45 min halves with 4 different XIs) - it looks like we're setting up to play 4-2-3-1. Especially if we're bringing in a number 10 (Bruno).

McTominay and Pogba should be a solid midfield base, I reckon.
Yeah, this looks like the depth chart for this season if I had to guess:

------------------------Rashford(Greenwood)------------------------
Martial(Lingard)-------New#10(Mata)----------James(Chong)
------------McTominay(Matic)---Pogba(Pereira)-------------------
Shaw(Young)--Maguire(Bailly)-Lindelof(Smalling)-WanBissaka(Dalot)
------------------------De Gea(Romero)-------------------------------

Even if we get Bruno or Zaniolo or another 10 and do sign Maguire, we really do need another wide option, Martial just looks so disinterested and James seems like he should only start this season when the games is open enough (or possession dominated by the other team) for him to let his pace make up for his understandable rawness. Lingard and Mata just aren't good enough out wide. I'd feel much better about the team if they were wingers #2 and #3 and not #1 and #2.

Conversely, we have 7 CBs since Tuanzebe, Jones and Rojo didn't make the above list. We really need to sell Jones and Lingard (give his minutes to Pereira and Gomes) to whichever Prem teams are happy to pay 20M for guys still in their primes with 20+ England caps and just throw the 40M at the best winger we can find be it Ziyech, Malcolm, Everton or whoever.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
-----------------De Gea-------------------

AWB--------McGuire---Lindelöf--------Shaw

-------------McT---------Fred-----------------

----Bruno------------------------Pogba--------

-------------Rashford----Mason/Martial-----------

Doesn't look too bad, would Pogba be as influential in this inside LAM position? possibly..
Because we weren't already narrow enough. Sorry, but this is a horrible line up. No wingers and FB's who are better known for their defending than their attacking...

Ishpan2

Awb Lindelof (Not Smalling) Shaw
McTominay Pogba
(Not Mata or Lingard) Bruno Martial/James
Rashford

As a lifelong fan, I'm begging you Ed, just make this formation possible.

The 4-2-2-2 idea is not getting enough credit in this forum -- the fact is with the current team it makes sense. We have no right winger or (quality) cam. Of the few formations out there that don't include those critical positions, 4-2-2-2 fits us best. Of course we would get crushed by good teams with actual width, but with our current personnel that formation puts every player in a position they are comfortable in.

zenith

According to Gaz Nev this is the system what Ole wants to play, same as Watford employ. It would fit with reported transfer targets and suit our squad

Matic----McT
Pog-----Bruno
Rashy---Tony
I'd like that formation. It should play to our strengths in terms of creativity from midfield and pace up front and hide our weakness with respect to wingers and the slowness of matic.

Given that we have defensive full backs now it should allow the likes of bruno and pogba to create freely without any defensive responsibility.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Considering our striker options we should play with 2 rather than 1 up top. Also considering our striker options we don't have the luxury of always fielding two strikers up top. There's a reason we're playing 4-2-3-1 so far in the pre-season.

Craig Ward

playing 2 up top with the strikers we have is woeful at best.

We have Rashford/Martial/Greenwood (who is 17 btw)/Sanchez

Left Lukaku out as he is almost a certainty to leave.

Martial is better off the left and looks a much worse player when used centrally.
Greenwood I think can have an impact this season, but he is very young and bit part would be his role this year.
Sanchez - what can you say? He's been an atrocious signing, the worst in seasons and relying on him is a disaster waiting to happen. Based on his time with us, its safe to assume his form will remain rock bottom
Rashford - Probably our only striker who looks fit and hungry

So for 2 up top - we simply don't have the depth. 1 or 2 injuries away from a complete and utter write off of central strikers.

Only way 2 central strikers work is by signing at least 1, and to play 2 all season i'd probably say we need to sign 2 as sanchez is a write off for me. Given we need a CB and a couple of midfielders - i'd say chances of us playing this formation is slim to none.

Theres no width either. We have James who looks good and Martial is better off the left

Ishpan2

playing 2 up top with the strikers we have is woeful at best.

We have Rashford/Martial/Greenwood (who is 17 btw)/Sanchez

Left Lukaku out as he is almost a certainty to leave.

Martial is better off the left and looks a much worse player when used centrally.
Greenwood I think can have an impact this season, but he is very young and bit part would be his role this year.
Sanchez - what can you say? He's been an atrocious signing, the worst in seasons and relying on him is a disaster waiting to happen. Based on his time with us, its safe to assume his form will remain rock bottom
Rashford - Probably our only striker who looks fit and hungry

So for 2 up top - we simply don't have the depth. 1 or 2 injuries away from a complete and utter write off of central strike

rs.

Only way 2 central strikers work is by signing at least 1, and to play 2 all season i'd probably say we need to sign 2 as sanchez is a write off for me. Given we need a CB and a couple of midfielders - i'd say chances of us playing this formation is slim to none.

Theres no width either. We have James who looks good and Martial is better off the left
You say we have woeful striker options and so can't play two. Well, we don't have have woeful right wingers... because we don't have a single right winger. Even if Martial plays better on the left, at least he can play striker too. In a 4-2-3-1 we either push James to the right (which he himself said he is not good at playing), or we play Mata/Lingard.

I struggle to see your logic: since one formation requires 2 players at a position we are weaker at, we should play another formation that requires A: a position we don't have any players for and B: a position we are also weak at (what are our #10 options again?). This is why we always attack on one side of the field.

To clarify, I think there is a 0.1% chance of Ole doing this at best. It's not a good formation, it just happens to put all our players in positions they are comfortable in -- but with this group no formation will be good enough. My issue is there is a 90% chance Ole will start Lingard at cam or winger in a 4-2-3-1 against Chelsea, which is just depressing.

Last edited:

Fer

If we consider preseason, then 4231 could be our main formation. But if we consider our current players, I think 442 (diamond) formation could be better. Mainly if we sign someone like Eriksen/Fernandes as AM, and Dybala/Pepe for the second striker position.