Are we now seeing "this space"?

OleBoiii

I've been waiting for us to sign Thissp Ace for years. Sadly we only got Sancho and Varane.

RUCK4444

I honestly believe we are spending more mostly because of those protests, the pressure was mounting on the parasites.

clarkydaz

I honestly believe we are spending more mostly because of those protests, the pressure was mounting on the parasites.
thats exactly what it is. No protests they would have stopped at Sancho, and claimed covid reasons for no more

thundercats

The only thing that has changed is that Real and Barca are cash strapped, we can briefly become top predator, we should make the most of it before the tables turn again and I expect that will be soon, those 2 clubs don’t stay down for too long.

ChaddyP

We spent a heck of alot of money first 2 years of Jose contract

Mkhitarian 26
Pogba 90
Bailly 30
Matic 40
Lukaku 75
Lindelof 30
Huge zlatan contract

We were doing things. Just never panned out. Lindelof and Bailly are now jist squad players Lukaku sold Matic pasy it pogba on the brink of leaving mkhitarian swapped for someone the less is said of the better, Got about 7 months out of zlatan.

Not sure what "delivering means" but we have always spent except for that one time we "only" signed Fred for 50 million and dalot for 20

Nar, right now it's a Sancho deal that was always on, and an almost too good to be true opportunity at a frankly ridiculous price. Brought on due to the financial issues in Spain.

feck all to do with protests. And as they've kinda already leaked, they'll stop there if they can't make some sales.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nothing on NASA pages. Rumors says, selling Phil Jones for actual fee equals big bang event.

As for Ed, what a slippery weasel... We get a DoF and he f*cks off, what a coincidence. Too much mixed noise around him, that Super League thing also didn't help. The joys of working for Glazers, I guess.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Is he finally delivering?
If I recall, he made that statement the summer Fergie retired. He backed up that pearl of wisdom by disclosing to the entire footballing world that he had a fat war chest at his disposal and he was not afraid to use it. He then spent the following 3 months chasing Bale, Kroos, Fabregas and several other top names he discovered through the power of google. That his only purchase that summer was a talking microphone came as a surprise to absolutely no one. The tit.

Ed "Didnylaaaand" Woodward, ladies and gentlemen :rolleyes:

thundercats

Of course utd spends a lot of money but it is usually not on established star players. Exceptions are Di Maria who failed, Pogba who failed, Lukaku who failed and Zlatan who failed (imo)

I am as good as always more impressed on our competitors transfer windows than Utd's. So far this season is an exception but the window hasn't closed yet.

Simbo

Standard transfer window for him, just the signings we cream over for a few weeks have often turn out to be shit. Lets hope they don't this time, but then someone else will get the credit of course.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Of course utd spends a lot of money but it is usually not on established star players. Exceptions are Di Maria who failed, Pogba who failed, Lukaku who failed and Zlatan who failed (imo)

I am as good as always more impressed on our competitors transfer windows than Utd's. So far this season is an exception but the window hasn't closed yet.
We spent zilch on Zlatan. And he certainly didn't fail.

Mr Smith

If I recall, he made that statement the summer Fergie retired. He backed up that pearl of wisdom by disclosing to the entire footballing world that he had a fat war chest at his disposal and he was not afraid to use it. He then spent the following 3 months chasing Bale, Kroos, Fabregas and several other top names he discovered through the power of google. That his only purchase that summer was a talking microphone came as a surprise to absolutely no one. The tit.

This. That statement was one of the most naive and damaging things he's ever done, and ushered in two years of panic buying with no strategy.

Chief123

To be fair it’s not like he’s gone crazy with the spending. We’ve got Sancho and Varane for not much more than we paid for Maguire alone.

We spent more on Fred, Lindelof and Bailly than we did on Sancho and Varane.

RedDevil@84

Add to it Moyes who rejected Thiago because he didn't know him, after SAF had done all the scouting and convinced player to come.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me it's just Ole.

He knows the difference between signing a Martial vs a Haaland that he will try for twice in his time at United.

The signing a Lindelof vs Varane or Maguire.

I mean look at our RW. We have coached a Greenwood, signed Sancho,Pellestri and Amad in the period of 2 seasons which is magnificent - we arguably didn't have one for a whole decade.

With Ole its becoming easier to see what positions need improving - and there isn't much needed left; possibly a CDM, CM, backup RB and a ST; which could happen over the next 2 transfer windows.

I believe the murtogh and fletcher thing has happened partly due to Ole's influence in the club too.

It's why I'm not too fussed about him winning the the title this year - if we sign the new Jose Mourinho next season we dont know what can happen to the progress we have made. I'd rather we finish and made the perfect balance squad and when the Ole has officially failed to take the most balanced capable squad to win a title then tell him to leave next season and get someone who can.

Ekeke

:lol: We wanted Sancho last summer when his price was even higher and we've said in previous years that if a player like Varane becomes available we'll be in for them. I think we specifically mentioned him. And Dybala. And we tried for Dybala last summer and he wasnt interested

Sancho and Varane combined is a lot less than we spend most summers and thats without mentioning outgoing transfers. You will honestly believe anything

Tiber

The owners are just allowing one year of decent investment to shut the protests up for another decade. Helped by last year's pathetic transfer window, much of the Sancho fee is probably from last year's unspent budget.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He did feck all in football related mate. All he cares about football is buying players for marketing. He has terrible transfer strategy and plan or anything to do for football and just bad. Last year and before had been shite. This year we changed our structure by having DoF, and it makes big difference so far. I bet you, we would sign VVD instead of Lindelof in 2017 if we have DoF not Ed. Or at least we would sign Maguire in 2018 not in 2019 which cheaper fees as well.

Son

The only thing that has changed is that Real and Barca are cash strapped, we can briefly become top predator, we should make the most of it before the tables turn again and I expect that will be soon, those 2 clubs don’t stay down for too long.
Funnily enough we can also thank our noisy neighbours too. Their recent success and Pep has actually positively helped us try and get a better squad to compete.

Manchester has two really top teams atm. Nearly all of the worlds best CB’s seem to play in Manchester bar the Italian ones as a bonus

justsomebloke

For me it's just Ole.

He knows the difference between signing a Martial vs a Haaland that he will try for twice in his time at United.

The signing a Lindelof vs Varane or Maguire.

I mean look at our RW. We have coached a Greenwood, signed Sancho,Pellestri and Amad in the period of 2 seasons which is magnificent - we arguably didn't have one for a whole decade.

With Ole its becoming easier to see what positions need improving - and there isn't much needed left; possibly a CDM, CM, backup RB and a ST; which could happen over the next 2 transfer windows.

I believe the murtogh and fletcher thing has happened partly due to Ole's influence in the club too.

It's why I'm not too fussed about him winning the the title this year - if we sign the new Jose Mourinho next season we dont know what can happen to the progress we have made. I'd rather we finish and made the perfect balance squad and when the Ole has officially failed to take the most balanced capable squad to win a title then tell him to leave next season and get someone who can.
I agree with this. What we're seeing now is the unfolding of what was announced after 2018/19 season - the building of a new team good enough to contend. If last summer's transfer window raised some doubts about that, this window has put it back on track. If Pogba leaves and is replaced, it's possible that we could start the season with a first XI that doesn't feature a single player who belonged to Mourinho's preferred XI in his last season, and only three (Shaw, Fred, Rashford) who were with the squad at all. That's quite a makeover in two years, especially considering the quality of those who have been brought in.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
He wasn't far wrong to be honest, £1.08 billion spent since that comment in 2014 and a net spend of £757m. Only City have matched that with a net of £727m

The rest of the pack are down at £307m (Everton) and below Transfer Spend

Quite clearly Utd and City are the two clubs who can do things others can't

EDIT: The above doesn't take into account Varane either

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I agree with this. What we're seeing now is the unfolding of what was announced after 2018/19 season - the building of a new team good enough to contend. If last summer's transfer window raised some doubts about that, this window has put it back on track. If Pogba leaves and is replaced, it's possible that we could start the season with a first XI that doesn't feature a single player who belonged to Mourinho's preferred XI in his last season, and only three (Shaw, Fred, Rashford) who were with the squad at all. That's quite a makeover in two years, especially considering the quality of those who have been brought in.
I mean even to this day alot of people dont get the transfer of Van De Beek to United, but I just think that Ole looked at our squad and looked at Lingard and thought that Van de Beek was the better, more all rounded, more versatile, more capable version of him.

A player that can play CM, CAM, false 9, can make intelligent runs, make good finishes and good quick passes - and bought him for 40 million pounds with the intention of selling Lingard off.

He may have not settled in yet and maybe Ole is not the manager who gets the best use out of him at United (maybe he even knows this to some level because he isn't the most tactical manager) - but this is the kind of transfer that kind of tells me what's in Ole's heart as a United manager.

He loves United and he wanted to reshape United because he saw the difference in class of players he played with vs what he came and was initially managing. It wasn't really about him or him being successful by him winning a trophy in some random season of management- it's about United being a top club again with a squad that will scare people with both the depth in quality and in quantity, a mixture of young age and experience. We have arguably missed a bit of everything for along time and we are starting to see that beautiful mix now.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I refuse to give him any credit.
Murtough and his team brought these matters home. All he did was say, yes sir, okay sir, very well sir.
I thought Murtough was supposed to be the yes man? That's what everybody was saying when we promoted him.

NZT-One

I mean even to this day alot of people dont get the transfer of Van De Beek to United, but I just think that Ole looked at our squad and looked at Lingard and thought that Van de Beek was the better, more all rounded, more versatile, more capable version of him.

A player that can play CM, CAM, false 9, can make intelligent runs, make good finishes and good quick passes - and bought him for 40 million pounds with the intention of selling Lingard off.

He may have not settled in yet and maybe Ole is not the manager who gets the best use out of him at United (maybe he even knows this to some level because he isn't the most tactical manager) - but this is the kind of transfer that kind of tells me what's in Ole's heart as a United manager.

He loves United and he wanted to reshape United because he saw the difference in class of players he played with vs what he came and was initially managing. It wasn't really about him or him being successful by him winning a trophy in some random season of management- it's about United being a top club again with a squad that will scare people with both the depth in quality and in quantity, a mixture of young age and experience. We have arguably missed a bit of everything for along time and we are starting to see that beautiful mix now.
Reading this, is there any chance, the man is able to do anything, you wouldn't see something good potentially the best in? ^^
For all the talk about certain negative thoughts are spread around the forums, your take feels a bit borderline to me too. This thread is about transfers and the potential influences of a certain individual who has been our CEO. Looking at todays transfers, there is even a DOF in place now but still Ole is somehow credited with it. That you manage to sugarcoat the DVB transfer (until now), hats off to you :D

I like it though. Shows optimism which is a great thing to cultivate. As long as we still manage to stay in touch with actual events a fair bit so are able to take meaningful lessons from the things we try and succeed or fail.

In terms of the thread: kudos to Woody and the team who is behind this years transfers. They are very very good and there is even some time left. It has been a long time that we were in such a comfortable position.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Well we may sell a few players or Glazers may throw more into the kitty.
We need a commanding midfielder or we are not going to be challenging for honours this season again.