Are we too pragmatic in the big games?

James35

We were really good in the big games under LvG. We finished 6th.
Yes but this thread is about this season not 4/5 years ago...and we have been pretty poor so far.

If City and Liverpool find consistency, head to heads will be important and I for one want our form to improve and it will need to if we have title hopes in my opinion.

It could come down to a game at the Ethiad or at home to Liverpool for example to keep us top of the league as this season looks like it will be very tight until the very end.

mu4c_20le

Yes but this thread is about this season not 4/5 years ago...and we have been pretty poor so far.

If City and Liverpool find consistency, head to heads will be important and I for one want our form to improve and it will need to if we have title hopes in my opinion.

It could come down to a game at the Ethiad or at home to Liverpool for example to keep us top of the league as this season looks like it will be very tight until the very end.
To be fair, if we go by the OP, this thread is not even about a title challenge and purely our approach to big games. Of course I would like to win more points against our direct title rivals, but as long as we keep up our form and consistency against the rest, we will finish strongly this season regardless of the title or not. All of this without addressing several key areas over the summer.. lets not forget many expected us to struggle to finish top 4 this year.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not against the idea of settling for a point against top teams when you are in a position to protect your lead. As the manager said, he is disappointed because they were there for the taking both in the Liverpool game and in the City game. We really could have won if we were a bit more adventurous and attacking.

RedorDead21

Yep, that approach will see you through to a top 4 finish most years.

If you want to win this league, you probably need to offer a little more than that, though. We've been better without the ball than with it for a number of years now. I'd like to see us do more in possession.
have we got one single playerwith The quality to beat the press? Have we had such a player in the middle of the park since Scholes retired? I honestly can’t think of anyone

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yep, that approach will see you through to a top 4 finish most years.

If you want to win this league, you probably need to offer a little more than that, though. We've been better without the ball than with it for a number of years now. I'd like to see us do more in possession.
Our top 4 games in 2006/07:
2 draws against Chelsea
2 losses against Arsenal (seriously??)
2 wins against Liverpool
We still won the league. Obviously our big game record needs to improve but it’s somehow a myth that you need to win the big games to win the league. Especially against title rivals mostly it’s better not to lose.
Under Fergie we mostly had mixed results against the other big teams in the league.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I can see why he sets up like that when facing better teams with a more propositive style, if you don't create a lot at least you're not going to lose by in an embarrassing way. However the concern should be not being able to be more propositive against the lesser sides. It all comes to poor coaching and tactics.

Zen86

We could have opened right up, gone at them, and been destroyed within the first 30 minutes. There would probably be a “are we too naive” thread in here as a result.

This is Liverpool, a big and unpredictable game for us at the best of times, and a team who have been vastly superior to us in recent years to boot.

el3mel

There's no problem about today, imo we played it right. It was a problem against City and Chelsea because imo we should have absolutely won both on our pitch, but today was a great result.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I'm fine with us taking an approach like today as long as we still create our chances, which we did. We still have to improve at playing through the first press though.

This season is also a bit different with all the games so I think playing conservative and on the counter in the big games might be good enough as long as you go out and beat the lesser sides. Running everyone into the ground halfway through the season won't turn out well in a season like this.
Depth is more important than ever and I think that's what Liverpool are struggling with currently. We got in a few players who might not have been for the starting XI but who'll get plenty of minutes throughout the season.

wolvored

Even though we are first it shows the lack of quality we have to go toe to toe with the big teams. Liverpool were like shadows first half and luckily couldnt keep it up second. When we saw this we should have taken Fred or McTom off for VDB or both off for VDB and Matic. Why we dropped Bailley for Lindelof I couldnt understand either. All it did was force us deeper. Bruno had a game best forgotten.

Crashoutcassius

Think we were big underdogs going into today's - Liverpool are simply better, they were home, they had a huge advantage in rest and prep. The pragmatism in the end meant we had probably the better chance to win it

Hasn't been as successful in other games though clearly but avoiding a loss was big today in my view

Raveneye

The approach to this game was well thought out generally. McFred was the right choice against a team looking to dominate possession and wear United down by constantly passing it around the attacking half. That McFred didn't rise to the occasion this time isn't entirely in Solksjaer's control.

El Jefe

People saying today is different because we created chances, I don't think so. If they had VVD fit or a pair of real CBs, we wouldn't have gotten a sniff in this match. It would've been exactly like the other big games before this.

I'm actually amazed that anyone can argue against the stats. Zero goals from open play is pretty disgraceful and clearly points towards Ole either being negative or having no clue how to set up attacks in big games.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People saying today is different because we created chances, I don't think so. If they had VVD fit or a pair of real CBs, we wouldn't have gotten a sniff in this match. It would've been exactly like the other big games before this.

I'm actually amazed that anyone can argue against the stats. Zero goals from open play is pretty disgraceful and clearly points towards Ole either being negative or having no clue how to set up attacks in big games.
I think it's more due to just how poor our attackers have been this season. If Rashford in particular was in form he would have ripped Liverpool apart today.

We're somehow in this position despite Greenwood being poor all season and not being able to finish, Martial being poor most of the season (he has been improving for the last 5-6 weeks) and not being able to finish, Rashford being poor most of the season but managing to still get quite a lot of goals and assists, and even Bruno not being particularly good for a while now and being terrible the last few games. If Martial and Rashford kick into form (hopefully with Bruno also getting over this bit of a slump) it puts us into a very strong position for the second half of the season. If not, I don't know how long we can keep covering for our misfiring attack.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

So last season he had awesome clues on how to set up vs big clubs but had no clue on how to break deeper defensive lines. This season he has no clue on how to set up vs big clubs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There is something not interlinking with our attackers.

None of Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood have been that jaw dropping like awesome this season.

For me this might be because we are seeing the less of Matic.

We are going for the two box to box players awfully lot more because we have to not necessarily all the time we want to in my opinion.

We need a CDM to get our attacking play back, some freedom to our attackers, they are dropping deeper than needed, we need that play in deep with a simple pass ability at times rather than always needing 2.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wish that we are too pragmatic. That would mean that we are winning all those games. Right?

Anyway, McT AND Fred together are just overkill in those games. Put Donny instead of McT and it is then well balanced team who have numbers to defend and enough creativity for attack.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So last season he had awesome clues on how to set up vs big clubs but had no clue on how to break deeper defensive lines. This season he has no clue on how to set up vs big clubs.
I think big clubs on the whole have set up more conservatively against us. They know our threat on the counter, so job number 1 is denying us space in behind. Chelsea, City, Arsenal... Have all done this. So it's a credit to the potency of OGS's counter attacking skills, however the next leap for him is figuring out how to make us better on the ball, such that when faced with situations like this, our team can take initiative and score goals without relying on counters. We can do this against smaller teams because they spend all their energy parking the bus, providing us with space and time. We don't get those luxuries with higher opposition. But it's a hurdle that OGS has to scale successfully if he plans to be here for a long time.

This was a hurdle that Mourinho failed at while with us, by the way.

PieCrust

I find it disappointing. There was never a fun moment in the Liverpool match yesterday. Watch them knock the ball around with 70% possession and pray they don't score or United hits them on a counter. We play like a lower league side scared to death to actually play football. Tactically I understand it and coming out with the draw is good result. I just find it completely disinterested to watch.

That was a weakened side Liverpool put out and we didn't even try to win. The home field advantage means nothing without the fans in attendance. It's just another empty stadium. I don't understand why United was so scared to play a more attacking style as that was one of the best chances in recent years to take the game to them and beat them.

But on the other hand Untied's attack is pretty bad. Marital has never nor will be ever good enough to be the main striker. He's just a passenger. Rashford is above average, but he's not the kind of player that strikes any real fear into an opponent although he does have good moments. We're so bad on the RW that we played Pogba there ffs. Bruno is the only thing that makes this team tick but Ole took him off when we needed a goal to win it.

Still, good result, just so uninspiring.

Stretch

I was thoroughly disappointed yesterday. It was a chance for us to really announce that we mean business. Instead, we looked like a team that's just happy to be there and thereabouts. Liverpool had two CMs as CBs and we made them look like worldies because we were for some reason to scared to take the game to them. Funny how in the last 10 to 15 mins when we bothered to take the game to them, we looked likely to score. I get being pragmatic in most big games, however, yesterday I felt was not the time. Hell, we made Shaqiri look like a natural CM. I don't mind the sit deep and counter-attack strategy but it hasn't paid off this season at all and it was definitely the wrong tactic in the Liverpool match.

romufc

Ole either being negative or having no clue how to set up attacks in big games.
SO Ole doesn't know how to set up attacks in big games yet in the last season we have beaten Spurs, PSG, Leipzig, City, Chelsea...

Stop with your agenda.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think big clubs on the whole have set up more conservatively against us. They know our threat on the counter, so job number 1 is denying us space in behind. Chelsea, City, Arsenal... Have all done this. So it's a credit to the potency of OGS's counter attacking skills, however the next leap for him is figuring out how to make us better on the ball, such that when faced with situations like this, our team can take initiative and score goals without relying on counters. We can do this against smaller teams because they spend all their energy parking the bus, providing us with space and time. We don't get those luxuries with higher opposition. But it's a hurdle that OGS has to scale successfully if he plans to be here for a long time.

This was a hurdle that Mourinho failed at while with us, by the way.
Yeah, big clubs are most conservative against us. Even City in the league game played safe game, sort of set up they usually do against Liverpool.

We have improved, like you said we have to improve in controlling the game with possession.

Olecurls99

We could have opened right up, gone at them, and been destroyed within the first 30 minutes. There would probably be a “are we too naive” thread in here as a result.

This is Liverpool, a big and unpredictable game for us at the best of times, and a team who have been vastly superior to us in recent years to boot.
Fair point. God knows Ole can't make a mistake tactically what with the media and some of the fans, so his caution is understandable. Ole is a shrewd man and I'll always bow to his judgement.

I just thought without Van Dijk that they were there for the taking yesterday. It would have made a massive statement.

JPB

Yes it's embarrassing. People complain about Van Gaal's style. Under Van Gaal at least we had most of the ball. Under Ole we look like Stoke City when we play against the big teams. (Even against some of the smaller teams) It's absolutely terrible. Did we even manage 30% possession yesterday against Liverpool? I hate it when we don't have the ball. And when we do have it we lose it again after 2 or 3 passes. Then I have to watch the opposing team play for the next 5 minutes while we defend again. As long as Ole is getting results I can turn a blind eye towards it. But my god it's terrible and boring to watch.

Yes.

People have a go our forwards but I’m not really sure what they’re supposed to do when it’s pure kick and rush football in these games.

I don’t really understand it as I saw us go toe to toe with PSG and look very fine doing so.

Don’t get me wrong care, pragmatism has its place in football and yesterdays point is a good point, but for it to be our default in big games just seems wrong and has already cost us a few times this year, not least in Germany.

romufc

So at the start of the season, even with VVD's injury alot of people said we are still way behind Liverpool...

Well fast forward 4 months and fans are crying that we didnt all out attack Liverpool.. are we being serious here?

For us to go to Anfield, to have the better chances shows progress, which is what we have asked for from Ole. Why is the goal post moving now?

Zen86

Fair point. God knows Ole can't make a mistake tactically what with the media and some of the fans, so his caution is understandable. Ole is a shrewd man and I'll always bow to his judgement.

I just thought without Van Dijk that they were there for the taking yesterday. It would have made a massive statement.
Personally I think losing them losing VVD is overblown. Their defensive strength doesn’t come from a CB pairing, rather the whole team combined through pressing, counterattacking and a physical, hardworking midfield. We saw this yesterday.

They were there for the taking because they’ve looked flat recently, but it would’ve been stupid to take that for granted. Getting pummelled yesterday would’ve effectively ended any title challenge for us.

ZupZup

We played poorly today and still could and maybe should have won the game. Our passing was sloppy and particularly first half, we kept looking for the Hollywood pass over the top too often.

How many teams do we see dominate possession against Liverpool? It's hard to be critical for that... especially when we are still so far away from the finished article.

romufc

We played poorly today and still could and maybe should have won the game. Our passing was sloppy and particularly first half, we kept looking for the Hollywood pass over the top too often.

How many teams do we see dominate possession against Liverpool? It's hard to be critical for that... especially when we are still so far away from the finished article.
The problem is our passing has been sloppy under Ole throughout. we have never looked composed on the ball. We need to start dominating teams and dictating play.

I want to see us work on that in the coming weeks.

ZupZup

The problem is our passing has been sloppy under Ole throughout. we have never looked composed on the ball. We need to start dominating teams and dictating play.

I want to see us work on that in the coming weeks.
Unfortunately we still have a fairly young side and better decision making will hopefully come with more experience. My biggest frustration yesterday was the way we consistently kept looking for the long ball over the top in the first half as soon as we'd win the ball. It's a good tactic against Liverpool's high line but it's stupid to attempt it so regularly in positions where it's a low percentage move and you're gifting possession straight back when it fails. Just mix it up a bit and try to play your way up the pitch too now and then. We did rectify this is a bit in the second half.

We needed our players to play near their best yesterday and too many were no where near unfortunately. Probably less than half the team you would argue had a good game.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think it's important not to underestimate how strange a season this is in terms of the limited preparation time and the condensed fixture demands.

What's been apparent in virtually all the big games this season is how little teams are willing to open up and really push themselves. I think every team around the top of the table at this stage of the season is happy to settle for a point against each other right now in order to avoid slipping up in the games their expected to win.

It's a bit like the middle-rounds of a heavyweight boxing match that both fighters know is going the distance/points. You're not going to land a knock-out blow at this stage, but you could leave yourself coming up short.

We've got a very reasonable run of fixtures now. If we carry on grinding out results against the mid-table clubs as we were over Christmas, we'll probably see points v the likes of City and Liverpool as a positive.

James35

To be fair, if we go by the OP, this thread is not even about a title challenge and purely our approach to big games. Of course I would like to win more points against our direct title rivals, but as long as we keep up our form and consistency against the rest, we will finish strongly this season regardless of the title or not. All of this without addressing several key areas over the summer.. lets not forget many expected us to struggle to finish top 4 this year.

Late reply sorry as my 3 posts were up.

100% agree and the title is a dream for many not so much a reality, I'd imagine. I will be happy with top 4 as I predicted a 5th or 6th place finish after our pretty dismal summer window.

Let's just make sure we keep beating the rest then, cement 4th at least and play on the front foot more often whilst doing so.

pascell

On one hand I do feel we're on the pragmatic side than offensive, on the other hand, I feel our passing in the attacking phase and especially in the final 3rd is woeful and has let us down massively for quite a few games now.

Had we not attempted hoof ball over their defenders for 80 mins, we'd have probably scored one or two. The chance for Bruno was indicative of how we should've played, move the ball on the floor with pace and precision and got bodies flooding the box with intelligent movement to create space for those arriving into the box late.

romufc

Unfortunately we still have a fairly young side and better decision making will hopefully come with more experience. My biggest frustration yesterday was the way we consistently kept looking for the long ball over the top in the first half as soon as we'd win the ball. It's a good tactic against Liverpool's high line but it's stupid to attempt it so regularly in positions where it's a low percentage move and you're gifting possession straight back when it fails. Just mix it up a bit and try to play your way up the pitch too now and then. We did rectify this is a bit in the second half.

We needed our players to play near their best yesterday and too many were no where near unfortunately. Probably less than half the team you would argue had a good game.
Agreed, we will learn, it seems that Ole might have said look for the early ball into Rashford but the players took it too literally and kept forcing it.

We didn't see our usual transitional play today much. We had the one when Martial / Shaw / Rashford combined on the left in the first half.

That is what I was hoping to see more of, couple of short passes, give and go and we would be at their back line.

We seem to be learning from previous games.

Spurs - totally open in midfield
Chelsea - Coming from a bad few weeks, had to tighten up, no attacking play
Arsenal - bad day at the office
Leipzig - Naive
City - Good point
Liverpool - Good Point, had better chances.

There has been an improvement in the big games, we stopped City and Pool scoring goals, which on its own is a plus considering some say our defence is a problem.

El Jefe

SO Ole doesn't know how to set up attacks in big games yet in the last season we have beaten Spurs, PSG, Leipzig, City, Chelsea...

Stop with your agenda.
The only one with an agenda is you. We last beat City, Chelsea and spurs when there were fans in the stadium. I mean the Spurs game you mentioned was in 2019 FFS.

PSG and Leipzig were good results but all of that was undone by losing the more important second games and crashing out of the CL.

The Siege

The Tottenham game did this to us.

Solskjaer knows that it was a breaking point where the fans were calling for his head, and he's likely to bank on getting the most out of the other games where we won't get thrashed. The top 6 matches, I think he'll be okay to sit and take a draw until we're closing in on the end of the season and have a shot at winning the title.

A big game loss is highly detrimental to the team's morale and his position. It's okay to play on the counter against a team that you consider might just be better at football at the moment, but we're doing it too passively.

El Jefe

Correct.

I wouldn't say no clue but gradually his strengths of last season have turned into his weakness this season and vice versa.

Zen86

The only one with an agenda is you. We last beat City, Chelsea and spurs when there were fans in the stadium. I mean the Spurs game you mentioned was in 2019 FFS.

PSG and Leipzig were good results but all of that was undone by losing the more important second games and crashing out of the CL.
You can’t just pretend these games didn’t happen because of subsequent results.