Are you looking forward to the Newcastle United era?

BorisManUtd

Not really as I genuinely believe that they'll win the Premier League before we do. And before they do, they'll be challenging for top 4 in next few seasons, so basically we've got City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Newcastle + Spurs if they improve/Conte decides to stay to worry about.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
As a United fan, it'll be a massive relief once they get their shit together. We won't have to suffer Liverpool & Man City cleaning it all up year after year.

Chelsea have probably given us our 2 best moments since Fergie retired (the slip & the CL final last season), so it'll be nice to have someone else there to spoil the party.
That was fecking horrendous what are you on about? I much preferred finished second under Ole, winning the league cup, Europa league and FA Cup and playing our own entertaining football (in spells). I can’t stand any of our rivals and the only team I want to beat them is Utd. Why not instead of supporting everyone else, you support your club to get themselves out of the mud and compete themselves?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Newcastle are now 3rd behind Man City and Liverpool for 2022 points. They’ll be after our top 6 place next season. Will no doubt strengthen further in the summer as well.
It’s one thing playing well when there’s no pressure and expectations, it’s another actually carrying that on and getting top 3/4. Think Newcastle are a good way from actually competing.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
They may get there quicker than I thought.

With Guimares and the midfield version of Joelinton they have a hell of a middle duo to build around.

A quality forward player to go with ASM and they're a huge problem.

Gandalf

They may take a step back next season though. They blew 90M in January and so will have to wait to sportswash some cash to meet FFP before going mental on more deals in the summer, most stories have their budget this summer as around 60M max. When you consider they spent a lot on short term fixes like Burn and Trippier it is quite probable that a season or two of mid table mediocrity awaits as they will still need to massively ovepay to get real talent to join them until they are in European competition. In a year or two they will have set up all the dodgy sponsorships to explain the massive uptick in revenue and then they can start spending serious cash.

TuzlaUnited

Always had a soft spot for them. Shearer and Asprilla were force on Fifa 98 Road to World Cup.

Vapor trail

They may get there quicker than I thought.

With Guimares and the midfield version of Joelinton they have a hell of a middle duo to build around.

A quality forward player to go with ASM and they're a huge problem.
Hear the same thing every season with a particular team; Sheffield United, Leicester etc. It takes time to build a consistent team not to mention a team that can destabilize the likes of Guardiola / Klopp. Some of the best managers in Europe can't even get close the likes of Tuchel / Conte.

Fan sentiment is always OTT there's seldom any level headed judgement. As soon as teams acclimatize to Newcastle next season their fixtures will be tougher by tactical merit alone. It's not just the players they will also need the right manager and the hierarchy of the club needs to be pioneered by football minds. Its no guarantee but with success at minimum a 7+ year projection for them to challenge.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
If they do it the way Amanda Stavely has been claiming they'll do it - using a sustainable model, without dodgy sponsorship deals, investing in and maximising the potential of the club - then it will be really interesting to watch and it will give the league another quality team to provide competition and interesting matches.

If they do it how I think they'll actually do it, as exemplified by their January spend then no I'm not looking forward to it. We've already got one Manchester City, we don't fecking need another one.

Irwin99

Not really, no. Champions League qualification in the post Fergie era has been very tricky and now we have another oil club to contend with. I imagine Spurs and Arsenal fans feel somewhat similar at the prospect.

RopersReturn

Just can’t see Newcastle dominating in the same way Liverpool and City currently do. I think it’ll be more similar to the Blackburn Rovers saga, until the Stavelys move on to something else.
They won’t be able to the attract world class players who’ll want to settle up there either, other than a few odd mercenaries at the end of their careers & looking for a big payment.

AlexanderTheGreat29

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They're quite exciting. I'm really curious to what they're going to pull this summer , how they improve the squad. I'm not expecting them to fight for Top 4 next season , but definitely the year after

djembatheking

The Geordies that I know are all proper ABUs going back to the 90s when we signed Cole and Fergie put Keegan in his place. Sadly I think they will be the next United to be Premier league champions. I’m not looking forward to Toon domination.

Raw

Just can’t see Newcastle dominating in the same way Liverpool and City currently do. I think it’ll be more similar to the Blackburn Rovers saga, until the Stavelys move on to something else.
They won’t be able to the attract world class players who’ll want to settle up there either, other than a few odd mercenaries at the end of their careers & looking for a big payment.
The only way they'll ever reach that level is if they get themselves a Pep or a Klopp. Can definitely see them becoming top 4 regulars in the near future though.

SuperiorXI

They're just another oil club now, but at least they're not City/Chelsea/PSG. I don't know any Geordies so their success shouldn't bother me too much.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
See no reason why they can't be pushing for top 4 next season with the right signings.

Just seen the highlight vs Arsenal, their supporters are amazing, much much better than City's.
That's because Newcastle actually have supporters. They're a pretty feral bunch though, half a taste of success and they'll make even the scousers look civilised.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
See no reason why they can't be pushing for top 4 next season with the right signings.
They don't have the cash to get the squad depth to challenge for top four surely?

They need at least 6 quality players to usurp the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and United, who they realistically will need to do better than to get top four.

They are miles behind currently, albeit if you take the PPG under Howe over a full season they would be 7th.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Calling the Toon plastic is a bit embarrassing, check your history.
The history is exactly the same as City and Chelsea. Won absolutely feck all for years and then bought out by Arabs. If they start winning then it will be plastic as feck.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
They don't have the cash to get the squad depth to challenge for top four surely?

They need at least 6 quality players to usurp the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and United, who they realistically will need to do better than to get top four.

They are miles behind currently, albeit if you take the PPG under Howe over a full season they would be 7th.
Except they literally do have the cash for that? Robinho signed for City who was much further "behind" at the time.

Spurs you'd imagine will be better if conte stays, jury is well and truly out on United and Arsenal. Remains to be seen if West Ham can keep this seasons form up. I see no reason why with the right signings, Newcastle can't be in the mix with united, arsenal and West ham pushing top 4. Hell, remains to be seen where Chelsea will be at next season too.

As you said, PPG over the season under howe had them 7th, with the funds they have why can't they push on next season?

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The history is exactly the same as City and Chelsea. Won absolutely feck all for years and then bought out by Arabs. If they start winning then it will be plastic as feck.
That's a terrible take. How old are you?

McTerminator

no, it isn’t. The Toon have a rich history and have been competitive by their own merits historically. You clearly don’t know your stuff.

once they start winning you will see many new plastic Newcastle fans thats for sure.
Don’t disagree with this at all. Any successful club attracts plastics. We had plenty of plastics in the SAF era. Didn’t make us a plastic club though.

Offside

no, it isn’t. The Toon have a rich history and have been competitive by their own merits historically. You clearly don’t know your stuff.
So have Man City and Chelsea? Do you not know your stuff?

Offside

That's a terrible take. How old are you?
How is it a terrible take please? They haven’t won a trophy since 1955. That’s longer than both Chelsea and City had gone when they were bought out. They’ve had stints in lower divisions in recent years just like City. It is absolutely no different.

Kostov

How far we have sunk, cheering for Chelsea and hoping for Newcastle to relegate us to 3rd tier club, hoping to get to what top 7 hopefully?

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara

Don’t disagree with this at all. Any successful club attracts plastics. We had plenty of plastics in the SAF era. Didn’t make us a plastic club though.
Newcastle have as much history and pedigree as Spurs, no one denies that. But just as City, whatever they win from this point onwards won't be based in structure/sportive or collective merits, it will be thanks to the financial doping they get from their owners.

Also, why does having "rich history" exempts Newcastle from being catalogued a plastic club? What's "rich history" in the first place? If another Arab country takes over - let's say Derby County - will that make them immune to that criticism?

ShinjiNinja26

Feck Newcastle! Would love for them to get shutdown before they even get going. Will never happen though, they did feck all with City and the British government have been in bed with the Saudis for years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Except they literally do have the cash for that? Robinho signed for City who was much further "behind" at the time.

Spurs you'd imagine will be better if conte stays, jury is well and truly out on United and Arsenal. Remains to be seen if West Ham can keep this seasons form up. I see no reason why with the right signings, Newcastle can't be in the mix with united, arsenal and West ham pushing top 4. Hell, remains to be seen where Chelsea will be at next season too.

As you said, PPG over the season under howe had them 7th, with the funds they have why can't they push on next season?
Because they don't have the funds!

Eddie Howe has already been on record stating that they won't be able to spend big as their budget was spent in Jan and FFP rules will scupper any massive spending,