Argentina 2 - 2 England - 1998 FIFA World Cup Round of 16

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I was born in 1990 and so I was 7 when I saw this game, one of my earliest football memories and it's amazing with how much clarity I can still remember that game. I think it was the first football match I became utterly absorbed in. It seemed to have everything you could want from a football game. From the first minute all the way through to Batty's penalty miss. Truly one of those games you never wanted to end.

I'd like to rewatch it if anybody has a link to the full game?

thepolice123

Was it a great match? From my memory there were plenty of shithousery. The 2002 one was probably worse. The entire match was surrounded by Becks getting redemption and then he scored a pen. The English media creamed themselves the next day.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes great game, see saw in the first half with Argentina going infront, quick equaliser with the Owen dive and then his wonder goal. Little forgotten but Scholes missed a very good chance at 2-1.

Argentina then equalised with a very well worked free kick which Zanetti fired into the top corner.

Can't remember much in second half apart from Beckham red card and then obviously backs to the wall from England. Did actually score with five minutes left from a corner. Campbell headed in but Shearer's elbow went into Roa's face so think it was correctly disallowed.

That was the toughest half of the draw. Even if England had heroically won would've faced a fantastic Holland in the next round and then Brazil semi finals.

The full game was on YT but seems to have disappeared recently.

Think that World cup was more of a missed opportunity for Argentina given Batistuta was at his peak. They were banking more on 2002 world cup but obviously a disaster.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I remember it pretty well... I would have been 12 and I remember being so upset when we went out, I think I actually cried. Properly heartbroken.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I remember it pretty well... I would have been 12 and I remember being so upset when we went out, I think I actually cried. Properly heartbroken.
Same, that and Euro 96 were the only two times I cried over England losing. Over the years I've started to dislike the national team so don't give a feck now.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nice summary @FootballHQ. Enthralling game. Argentina were really stacked around then, but England defended superbly with 10 men for 75 minutes. The 15 seconds or so - between Campbell’s header thumping in, getting disallowed for Shearer’s elbow on Roa, most of the team celebrating as Argentina surged up the park, and a superman lunge from Anderton to prevent a certain goal - is one of the most dramatic in World Cup history.

clarkydaz

Helluva game, i put this alongside the 1990 WC semi final and the Arsenal 99 FA cup game as the most absorbing games ive watched dramawise